Russell Martin

LegalEagle

Just now, hypochondriac said:

You can't convince me we had the level of fitness last year that we had under Poch. 

Oh no probably not, but we weren't massively unfit - it was a combination of a confused style, and not being clever enough in conserving energy.

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Oh no probably not, but we weren't massively unfit - it was a combination of a confused style, and not being clever enough in conserving energy.

You don’t think Perraud for example was unfit? Christ have never seen anyone so knackered after one run. That not conserving energy it’s no stamina.

At least yesterday they changed rules and we will have 5 subs in Championship that will help us if we have strong squad 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

A team needs to be clever(er) in conserving energy and thats a factor in why we went down? Ive heard it all now.  

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I believe Russell Martin is an advocate of conserving energy.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

As soon as Jones kept shooting ''Gooooood'' and then 'Romeo Done'', i think we all formed the exact same opinion pretty sharpish. Didn't need anything longer than a min to know he was an idiot.

"Loveeeelllllyyyyy.....Niceeeee...If we can now start enjoying ourselves and communicating what a morning we'll have"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Watching those pre-season vids, I spotted the following 1st team players:

• 1. Alex McCarthy 
  • 2. Kyle Walker-Peters 
  • 4. Lyanco Vojnovic
  • 5. Jack Stephens 
  • 8. James Ward-Prowse
  • 9. Adam Armstrong 
  • 10. Ché Adams 
  • 12. Paul Ounachu
  • 14. James Bree 
  • 18. Sékou Mara 
  • 19. Moussa Djénépo 
  • 21. Tino Livramento 
  • 22. Mohammed Salisu 
  • 23. Samuel Edozie 
  • 26. Carlos Alcaraz 
  • Nathan Tella

But, didn't see these. Unless I'm mistaken?

• 13. Willy Caballero 
  • 6. Duje Ćaleta-Car 
  • 7. Joe Aribo 
  • 15. Romain Perraud 
  • 17. Stuart Armstrong 
  • 20. Kamaldeen Sulemana 
  • 27. Ibrahima Diallo 
  • 28. Juan Larios 
  • 30. Mateusz Lis 
  • 31. Gavin Bazunu 
  • 35. Jan Bednarek 
  • 37. Armel Bella-Kotchap 
  • 45. Roméo Lavia 
  • Will Smallbone 

Plus there were some kids like Dom Ballard involved. Quite a few missing though, or just not shown on the vids? Looks like there were more the 2nd day, so likely more will join each day. After a week or so, it will fuel speculation on who's leaving.

3 minutes ago, Saint Mikey said:

• 1. Alex McCarthy 
  • 2. Kyle Walker-Peters 
  • 4. Lyanco Vojnovic
  • 5. Jack Stephens 
  • 8. James Ward-Prowse
  • 9. Adam Armstrong 
  • 10. Ché Adams 
  • 12. Paul Ounachu
  • 14. James Bree 
  • 18. Sékou Mara 
  • 19. Moussa Djénépo 
  • 21. Tino Livramento 
  • 22. Mohammed Salisu 
  • 23. Samuel Edozie 
  • 26. Carlos Alcaraz 
  • Nathan Tella

• 13. Willy Caballero 
  • 6. Duje Ćaleta-Car 
  • 7. Joe Aribo 
  • 15. Romain Perraud 
  • 17. Stuart Armstrong 
  • 20. Kamaldeen Sulemana 
  • 27. Ibrahima Diallo 
  • 28. Juan Larios 
  • 30. Mateusz Lis 
  • 31. Gavin Bazunu 
  • 35. Jan Bednarek 
  • 45. Roméo Lavia 
  • Will Smallbone 

Plus there were some kids like Dom Ballard involved. Quite a few missing though, or just not shown on the vids? Looks like there were more the 2nd day, so likely more will join each day. After a week or so, it will fuel speculation on who's leaving.

Pretty sure I saw Diallo in one of the videos.

7 minutes ago, Saint Mikey said:

• 1. Alex McCarthy 
  • 2. Kyle Walker-Peters 
  • 4. Lyanco Vojnovic
  • 5. Jack Stephens 
  • 8. James Ward-Prowse
  • 9. Adam Armstrong 
  • 10. Ché Adams 
  • 12. Paul Ounachu
  • 14. James Bree 
  • 18. Sékou Mara 
  • 19. Moussa Djénépo 
  • 21. Tino Livramento 
  • 22. Mohammed Salisu 
  • 23. Samuel Edozie 
  • 26. Carlos Alcaraz 
  • Nathan Tella

• 13. Willy Caballero 
  • 6. Duje Ćaleta-Car 
  • 7. Joe Aribo 
  • 15. Romain Perraud 
  • 17. Stuart Armstrong 
  • 20. Kamaldeen Sulemana 
  • 27. Ibrahima Diallo 
  • 28. Juan Larios 
  • 30. Mateusz Lis 
  • 31. Gavin Bazunu 
  • 35. Jan Bednarek 
  • 45. Roméo Lavia 
  • Will Smallbone 

Dialli and Caleta Car are there.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Saint Mikey said:

• 1. Alex McCarthy 
  • 2. Kyle Walker-Peters 
  • 4. Lyanco Vojnovic
  • 5. Jack Stephens 
  • 8. James Ward-Prowse
  • 9. Adam Armstrong 
  • 10. Ché Adams 
  • 12. Paul Ounachu
  • 14. James Bree 
  • 18. Sékou Mara 
  • 19. Moussa Djénépo 
  • 21. Tino Livramento 
  • 22. Mohammed Salisu 
  • 23. Samuel Edozie 
  • 26. Carlos Alcaraz 
  • Nathan Tella

• 13. Willy Caballero 
  • 6. Duje Ćaleta-Car 
  • 7. Joe Aribo 
  • 15. Romain Perraud 
  • 17. Stuart Armstrong 
  • 20. Kamaldeen Sulemana 
  • 27. Ibrahima Diallo 
  • 28. Juan Larios 
  • 30. Mateusz Lis 
  • 31. Gavin Bazunu 
  • 35. Jan Bednarek 
  • 45. Roméo Lavia 
  • Will Smallbone 

Lavia there - https://www.facebook.com/100044283376917/posts/830336945119077/?mibextid=rS40aB7S9Ucbxw6v

Diallo and DCC there. Sulemana, Small one, Stu, bednarek and Aribo were on Int duty so back later. 

1 hour ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Zooming in it seems you are right it's Salisu. My bad. Easy mistake judging by comments on Facebook 😁

1 hour ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Lavia there - https://www.facebook.com/100044283376917/posts/830336945119077/?mibextid=rS40aB7S9Ucbxw6v

Diallo and DCC there. Sulemana, Small one, Stu, bednarek and Aribo were on Int duty so back later. 

Lavia isaway with Belgium for euro under 21s tournament 

On 29/06/2023 at 13:20, notnowcato said:

If you haven’t done so already I’d recommend watching Russell’s Coaches Voice video on YouTube; where he talks about a win v Cardiff. 

I genuinely don’t think his style is “possession for possession sake” not that I think any coach genuinely intends that to happen, but it is a much trotted out phrase to undermine teams that dominate the ball. I’m hoping the first thing he sorts out is the huge gap we constantly showed between our pivots and the attacking midfielders. 

I’m looking forward to seeing the team develop this season and like all fans want us to be successful. 

Precisely. The huge issue for us since and during Ralph was that the gap between defence and midfield was impossibly large. There was no route out from the back and hence invariably the ball ended up back to our goalkeeper or we were losing possession altogether.

In possession we had everyone 50 yards in front of the ball, a ridiculous tactic that also left us completely open to counter attacks on the occasions we did manage to move forward.

To defend JWP slightly, he had no outlet to pass to forwards which is why ( to some extent) he constantly ended up passing backwards. 

It was like writing in block capitals rather than joined up writing…. No cohesion or structure could be built.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, captainchris said:

Precisely. The huge issue for us since and during Ralph was that the gap between defence and midfield was impossibly large. There was no route out from the back and hence invariably the ball ended up back to our goalkeeper or we were losing possession altogether.

In possession we had everyone 50 yards in front of the ball, a ridiculous tactic that also left us completely open to counter attacks on the occasions we did manage to move forward.

To defend JWP slightly, he had no outlet to pass to forwards which is why ( to some extent) he constantly ended up passing backwards. 

It was like writing in block capitals rather than joined up writing…. No cohesion or structure could be built.

With the shackles removed in our last game of the season, JWP was imperious.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

With the shackles removed in our last game of the season, JWP was imperious.

To be fair to JWP, he was.  I cannot see a situation where he stays at SFC in the Championship, but Martin's approach and technical gaps in opposition would likely suit him down to the ground.

• Like 3

Martin will be desperate to keep JWP for this season. It makes RM's job far easier to have him in the side. I suspect that RM will be trying to pull out all of the stops and use all of his charm to convince him to stay. I think there's a reasonable chance he will stay - certainly for one season and at least possibly to convince him to stay until Christmas to see how we are doing and if we're off the pace at the turn of the year he can go in January. That's the card I would try and play with him.

• Like 1

Finnigan and Bragg (both midfielders) joining the other youth Ballard, Dibling, Doyle, Meghoma and Amo-Ameyaw. Good to see the manager getting them involved.

Think Finnigan was well regarded by the Crewe supporters during his loan last season.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

They look so much more engaged with Martins drills than Nathan’s 😂

for all his alleged amazing coaching skills, did they dare ever do one of these while Selles in charge?

Different planet, engaged is spot on. Encouraging.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Finnigan and Bragg (both midfielders) joining the other youth Ballard, Dibling, Doyle, Meghoma and Amo-Ameyaw. Good to see the manager getting them involved.

Think Finnigan was well regarded by the Crewe supporters during his loan last season.

I'd love to see Finnigan in around thr first team this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Carries himself with a nice sense of authority while coming across calm and in control. A bit different to Nathan fucking Jones who was like a drunk in a bar, desperately saying things to make an impression. No guarantee it translates to results, but at least he's not unbearable straight out the gate.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 9
  • Haha 2

Just now, CSA96 said:

Carries himself with a nice sense of authority while coming across calm and in control. A bit different to Nathan fucking Jones who was like a drunk in a bar, desperately saying things to make an impression.

Photo of woman bored to death by male clubber is 'world's ...

"I BUILT LUTON BEFORE LUTON WERE COOL WITH THE GREATEST RESPECT"

• Haha 5

Obviously its just interviews but liking what he is saying so far.

Nothing OTT, just clear, genuine, leader-like and easy to warm to.

One of the biggest challenges this season is to really win back the fans and a manager who people trust and like will help a lot, assuming results and performances follow.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Carries himself with a nice sense of authority while coming across calm and in control. A bit different to Nathan fucking Jones who was like a drunk in a bar, desperately saying things to make an impression. No guarantee it translates to results, but at least he's not unbearable straight out the gate.

Good 15 minutes.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Yep that's where I'm at. I've been a fan too long to get suckered in by someone who can talk a good game without backing it up on the pitch but at the very least I can listen to him without wanting to smash my phone in anger. Nathan Jones was just so wrong for the club and it was immediately obvious a couple of weeks in. I have confidence that that will not be the case this time even if he's ultimately unsuccessful. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Obviously its just interviews but liking what he is saying so far.

Nothing OTT, just clear, genuine, leader-like and easy to warm to.

One of the biggest challenges this season is to really win back the fans and a manager who people trust and like will help a lot, assuming results and performances follow.

Yes, the manager is the Club's frontman, spokesman and representative. We've had some who were good at it--Lawrie Mac and Koeman best I can think of. Mad Nat the worst. Lets hope this guy gives us and the football world in general, the feel good factor. it helps

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Really hope we are not utter shite again this  upcoming season…you know… like the last couple. 
🤷🏻‍♂️

Agreed. Even if we dint go up, it woukd be nice to be competitive in every game and watch some nice football with the chance of some goals. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Agreed. Even if we dint go up, it woukd be nice to be competitive in every game and watch some nice football with the chance of some goals. 

Agreed again. Like others I was sceptical he was the man and there’s clearly a long way to demonstrate he’s the right fit, but so far he’s coming across very well and I like the way the club are once again giving us a small insight into life at Staplewood. The first big test for the Board is replacing our best leaving players with as good or better rather than diluting the quality even further…that’s going to be as key to Martins success as his managerial ability.

• Like 3