Joe Aribo

Suhari

1 hour ago, Fabrice29 said:

It’s nothing to do with my sanity. It’s a factual piece of information not opinion.

Factual it ain’t. It’s meaningless numbers. Such nonsense belongs on the other side of the Atlantic. Football is not played on spreadsheets.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Factual it ain’t. It’s meaningless numbers. Such nonsense belongs on the other side of the Atlantic. Football is not played on spreadsheets.

You seem genuinely unable to grasp the concept of what a fact is. And btw, it can be both factual and meaningless. But it definitely is factual.

Edited by Fabrice29

11 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

he did alot of that v Liverpool youth  the other night.................................................wait is that joe?

Part of his natural game, but the side is better with him in it. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

You seem genuinely unable to grasp the concept of what a fact is. And btw, it can be both factual and meaningless. But it definitely is factual.

“More key passes per game”

You can’t get more subjective than that. And that’s a fact.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

More goals, more assists. More key passes per game, more shots per game, more dribbles per game, more blocks per game, more clearances per game. Better pass completion rate per game. If you're actually asking.

You don’t think these stats might be skewed by the way he’s had over 3 times the amount of games .. and arribo coming of the bench’?

On 01/03/2024 at 00:15, Whitey Grandad said:

On 01/03/2024 at 11:12, Whitey Grandad said:

“More key passes per game”

You can’t get more subjective than that. And that’s a fact.

2 assists today. Not sure if it's meaningless, spreadsheet subjective nonsense from the other side of the Atlantic or not though. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

2 assists today. Not sure if it's meaningless, spreadsheet subjective nonsense from the other side of the Atlantic or not though. 

“Assists” 🙄

What a load of nonsense. Almost as though he had some part in creating the goals. 

What is it with all these statistics bollocks? They didn’t exist in the 60s or 70s yet the football still carried on. They are an Americanism, an abomination to the Gods of Football, to the Beautiful Game, to “el rey de los deportes”.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

What is it with all these statistics bollocks? They didn’t exist in the 60s or 70s yet the football still carried on. They are an Americanism, an abomination to the Gods of Football, to the Beautiful Game, to “el rey de los deportes”.

I’m 1/99 sure they were brought in for betting purposes. That and giving stinky people (also known as football staticians) jobs.

Edited by SotonianWill

9 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Assists have been recorded in he World Cup since 1954, Pele holds the record (10). In our day we used to say a player "made" a goal (but I'm sure they didn't record "makes").

1 minute ago, Fabrice29 said:

Didn't happen in the 60's and 70's so it must be stinky. Perfectly normal thing to think.

These numbers were invented solely for the betting industry. They have no reflection on the game or how it should be played. FIFA didn’t start keeping any records officially until 1996.

You Americans might not realise that the game began way back in the 19th century. It was doing all right without all this drivel for well over a hundred years. 

You can’t analyse football. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assist_(association_football)

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

These numbers were invented solely for the betting industry. They have no reflection on the game or how it should be played. FIFA didn’t start keeping any records officially until 1996.

You Americans might not realise that the game began way back in the 19th century. It was doing all right without all this drivel for well over a hundred years. 

If Smallbone getting assist is leading to you having to double down and conclude you can’t analyse football then you really should stop watching. As point out above, you’re talking utter shite, again.

Edited by Fabrice29

7 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Pretty sure they became more prevalent with the invention of 'fantasy football' in the Telegraph (originally) in the late 90's.  A way for your team to score more points without relying on goals scored.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Replace the word "football" here with the word "blue whales" or "inner city children's cognitive development" or "the flow of traffic in metropolitan areas" and you might understand how moronic your statement is.

You can "analyse" anything.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

If Smallbone getting assist is leading to you having to double down and conclude you can’t analyse football then you really should stop watching. As point out above, you’re talking utter shite, again.

Why the abuse? If you have to resort to that then you have run out of arguments.

What you call an ‘assist’ is not relevant to anything. It just happens to be the last person who touched the ball immediately before the goalscorer (of his own team).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Replace the word "football" here with the word "blue whales" or "inner city children's cognitive development" or "the flow of traffic in metropolitan areas" and you might understand how moronic your statement is.

You can "analyse" anything.

“Analyse” does not mean just compiling a list of figures. It means interpreting them. 

And  don’t use words like “moronic” about me. I don’t abuse you personally so why do you have to resort to such insults?

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

“Analyse” does not mean just compiling a list of figures. It means interpreting them. 

And  don’t use words like “moronic” about me. I don’t abuse you personally so why do you have to resort to such insults?

Don't try and explain the word "analyse" to me when you have used the phrase "you can't analyse football" when, obviously, you can. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

I mean you only have to look at the fact that every top football club has a full time analysis department, plus our manager constantly talks about analysing previous games, to see that you very much can analyse football. 

You can try but it’s like trying to catch a fart in your hands. It’s when people try to use imaginary figures to make decisions that things start to go wrong.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

“Assists” 🙄

What a load of nonsense. Almost as though he had some part in creating the goals. 

11 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Assists have been recorded in he World Cup since 1954, Pele holds the record (10). In our day we used to say a player "made" a goal (but I'm sure they didn't record "makes").

I’m with you two on this, Xg complete headwank in my book, “assists” not far behind. But if the modern hipster social media generation want to get a ‘hard on’ over it then fine but don’t spout it as if it’s written on a tablet of stone.

The difference in making a goal strikes me as a Paine or a Sydenham beating a player, or an individual bit of skill setting up the opportunity, not the last player to pass it (possibly sideways a few yards) for someone else to do the business, Brooks yesterday for example.

• Like 1

Shame Saints didn’t employ a Data Analyst in the 50’s and 60’s,interesting to know how many assists Paine and Sydenham were credited with.

Would no doubt come as a shock to some of the ‘new age men’ who think they’ve reinvented football. 

4 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Pretty sure they became more prevalent with the invention of 'fantasy football' in the Telegraph (originally) in the late 90's.  A way for your team to score more points without relying on goals scored.  

Probably true that it coincides with ‘fantasy football’, but playing my MLG card on this one, doesn’t it still rely on goals scored ?

Creating missed opportunities does not register as an assist. 

Edited by Badger

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

Shame Saints didn’t employ a Data Analyst in the 50’s and 60’s,interesting to know how many assists Paine and Sydenham were credited with.

Would no doubt come as a shock to some of the ‘new age men’ who think they’ve reinvented football. 

Maybe Russell Martin should send the team out wearing 50s and 60s boots on Wednesday. After all iT nEvEr diD tErRy pAiNe aNy hARm nO iT dIdN't

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

Maybe Russell Martin should send the team out wearing 50s and 60s boots on Wednesday. After all iT nEvEr diD tErRy pAiNe aNy hARm nO iT dIdN't

Fair point perhaps. But it was probably more to do with the calibre of player suiting the game at the time. 

36 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Why the abuse? If you have to resort to that then you have run out of arguments.

What you call an ‘assist’ is not relevant to anything. It just happens to be the last person who touched the ball immediately before the goalscorer (of his own team).

You questioned my sanity about 6 posts ago, if we're talking about running out of arguments. 

25 minutes ago, Badger said:

I’m with you two on this, Xg complete headwank in my book, “assists” not far behind. But if the modern hipster social media generation want to get a ‘hard on’ over it then fine but don’t spout it as if it’s written on a tablet of stone.

The difference in making a goal strikes me as a Paine or a Sydenham beating a player, or an individual bit of skill setting up the opportunity, not the last player to pass it (possibly sideways a few yards) for someone else to do the business, Brooks yesterday for example.

Would obviously point out that not only does Smallbone give Brooks the ball yesterday to register the assist, he also deliberately makes a run to take away the defender in the space Brooks moves into shoot. Not sure if thats me using my eyes or being hipster though.

• Like 1

Smallbone made a driving run that gave brooks the space to shoot, as well as supplying the cross for Adams goal. He was a key figure, far from peripheral, and helped get the crowd going too. He's a crisp passer of the ball.

He also really wants to play for us. 

We should support him when he plays. I'd be happy with him or aribo playing, it's nice to have two in form players for that position.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pingpong said:

Smallbone made a driving run that gave brooks the space to shoot, as well as supplying the cross for Adams goal. He was a key figure, far from peripheral, and helped get the crowd going too. He's a crisp passer of the ball.

We should support him when he plays. I'd be happy with him or aribo playing, it's nice to have two in form players for that position.

He also flicked a very deft pass round the corner to keep the move going for our first goal.

Edited by saintant

6 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Halcyon days those, and it was much earlier than the late 90s, I remember doing Telegraph FF in 1993/94 season. Buying the paper on a Monday to find out how you’d got on over the weekend, kids today with online minute to minute points updates don’t know they’re born.

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Probably true that it coincides with ‘fantasy football’, but playing my MLG card on this one, doesn’t it still rely on goals scored ?

Creating missed opportunities does not register as an assist. 

True.

Was meant to mean "without relying solely on the goals scored (by strikers) and the relative points that only they earnt" /mlgmode.

10 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Halcyon days those, and it was much earlier than the late 90s, I remember doing Telegraph FF in 1993/94 season. Buying the paper on a Monday to find out how you’d got on over the weekend, kids today with online minute to minute points updates don’t know they’re born.

I think I only ever did the cricket - we had five of us playing and the winner at the end of the season got a bottle of Bollinger from the other four.

Think I've still got one in the cupboard :)

If I remember correctly, I think substitutions needed to be sent by post???

11 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I think I only ever did the cricket - we had five of us playing and the winner at the end of the season got a bottle of Bollinger from the other four.

Think I've still got one in the cupboard :)

If I remember correctly, I think substitutions needed to be sent by post???

I think they must have been, yeah! And I can only think that the standings were printed out in full each week. Wouldn’t be able to do that with the amount of people playing these days.

3 hours ago, pingpong said:

Yeah it was a clever run tbf. 

Saying that though if Brooks doesn’t do the hard part of cutting in and scoring with a great strike no one would give a shit about smallbones pass here .. he’s just played a fairly streight forward pass to brooks  and followed it with a run ..

surely this wouldn’t be counted as a big chance created ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

Would obviously point out that not only does Smallbone give Brooks the ball yesterday to register the assist, he also deliberately makes a run to take away the defender in the space Brooks moves into shoot. Not sure if thats me using my eyes or being hipster though.

Other players were also making runs. 

Smallbone had a good game. But he wasn’t alone.

16 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Assists weren't invented for the betting industry FFS, you couldn't even bet on assists until online gambling became a thing and even then only in the last 5 years or so when they rapidly expanded their markets. 

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Assists weren't invented for the betting industry FFS, you couldn't even bet on assists until online gambling became a thing and even then only in the last 5 years or so when they rapidly expanded their markets. 

You are only thinking of your own experiences here in the UK.

It’s not just assists, it’s all the other random figures. The betting was in the Far East and that goes back a long way.

5 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

Players making dummy or decoy runs whatever they are called  now, seldom get the recognition for this. For one thing it might be difficult for the analysts to ‘measure’ or record it as opposed to factually who passed the last ball to the scorer.

So from yesterday, Smallbone has his straightforward pass registered as an assist, but his subsequent play in making space for Brooks - probably more significant in the goal - goes unnoticed.

Tends to support the question over the reliability of such stats, in my view.

Or perhaps he deserves two ‘assists’. 

• Like 2

I can remember a great Steve Williams goal against Norwich at the Dell. 

Keegan passed it square to Williams on the half way line. Williams then slalomed past 5 or 6 of the Norwich team before curling it round the keeper from the inside left position.  

Keegan joked about it the paper afterwards that, in America that would have been an assist. 

Personally,  I quite like assists,  but it is not always a pass that is important, a good diversionary run could be more important.  

• Like 1

Nobody is suggesting that getting a couple of assists makes you a creative genius. 

But consistently getting assists throughout the season, ending up in double figures and especially getting 15-20 or more clearly does evidence that a player is good at creating chances. It's not a meaningless stat when taken in context of a whole season compared to other players. 

• Like 1

Must admit Aribo came across as a complete carthorse the times id seen him previously, howoever he has shown more work rate and ball control in these last few games and has done well. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr X said:

Must admit Aribo came across as a complete carthorse the times id seen him previously, howoever he has shown more work rate and ball control in these last few games and has done well. 

Actually he's been very good for quite a while now, not just recently. I think it's been since he shaved his hair off. Coincidence?

• Like 1

I'd seen him a fair amount for Rangers. Whatever happened when he joined here, he regressed quite a bit. Martin and the staff have managed to help him turn that round, and he's actually looking better than I remember him.

We've had a few players who have struggled a lot with form for whatever reason, such as Stu. Martin's environment seems to have a positive effect. I can't imagine everyone in any dressing room is happy all the time. But he's made sure that players have ben brought in gradually with minutes and developed. There have been odd exceptions. Rothwell, goals aside which is no minor thing, probably suffers from being thrown in a bit. But generally, he seems to have kept a fair number of players on board. Quite a far cry from seperate dressing rooms and the cliques of last season.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rooney said:

Joe must be our most improved player this season.

Yeah he was awful last season and had given up hope on him coming good, he's an important player for us now and offers a lot. 

Rangers fans really liked him , maybe just took him time to adjust.