Joe Aribo

Suhari

Didn't impress at all last season and is clearly not suited to the high-press stuff.

But I thought he did okay last night in MF. Showed some decent close control, some strength, actually turned and drove forward, and played a forward pass now and then.

Think I'd prefer to see him given a run in MF rather than Smallbone. Providing he's alongside Charles of course.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Didn't impress at all last season and is clearly not suited to the high-press stuff.

But I thought he did okay last night in MF. Showed some decent close control, some strength, actually turned and drove forward, and played a forward pass now and then.

Think I'd prefer to see him given a run in MF rather than Smallbone. Providing he's alongside Charles of course.

Think a lot depends on who else is playing in midfield but personally think we have better options available before we start talking about Aribo playing there.  Only time I'd be using Aribo is as a hail mary substitute.

• Like 5

He was awful. He barely moved. He managed to be simultaneously the last man to join in attacks and with defence. He hid from his centre backs not wanting the ball, and when he did get it he gave it away and they nearly scored.

Occasionally when he happened to be doing his statue impression in the right area, the ball came to him; he does indeed have a quality left foot so was able to control and pass it nicely. But “drive forward “??? Nope, “drive” isn’t the word I’d use.

Minimal effort, zero pace, no game awareness, no leadership, not offering for his team mates. Utterly dreadful. The most surprising moment pre game was seeing his name on the team sheet. The most surprising thing in the game was seeing him emerge again for the second half.

How anyone could think he’d off your midfield more than Stu or Charlie is beyond me.

• Haha 3

I want to know what happened to the real Joe Aribo, the one Rangers fans were gutted to lose, the guy that tore up the Europa League, the guy their fans said should have been signing for a bigger team, because whoever they’ve sent is fucking shite.

• Like 4

On 20/09/2023 at 22:03, bpsaint said:

I want to know what happened to the real Joe Aribo, the one Rangers fans were gutted to lose, the guy that tore up the Europa League, the guy their fans said should have been signing for a bigger team, because whoever they’ve sent is fucking shite.

the latest in a long line of players who go to shit when they join Southampton

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

It's some kind of joke but had a laugh reading it. 

Elyounoussi is an energetic and attacking player who likes to run at defenders with speed and power. He is also known for excellent dribbling skills which enable him to create chances for teammates from close range or from distance.

In recent seasons he has developed a reputation as a clinical finisher inside the box.

🤣

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

On a more serious note, Joe against Ipswich looked good for 10 minutes then faded into oblivion. It's a concern that RM thinks he can can play a defensive midfield role. He really shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

I agree, I thought we looked better as soon as he went off. He's too lazy to play in such an important position. Someone else mentioned it, but he's a luxury player.

He'd look good in sides who dominate and win every game, but in sides where it's not as straight forward and you lack strength/midfield options, then he is just pointless.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Elyounoussi is an energetic and attacking player who likes to run at defenders with speed and power. He is also known for excellent dribbling skills which enable him to create chances for teammates from close range or from distance.

In recent seasons he has developed a reputation as a clinical finisher inside the box.

🤣

No mention of how good he is without the ball?

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

When Mozambique went down to 10 in the first half, his teammates gave him curious looks when he shouted "keep passing it!" and "keep that possession!" 🙂

Especially when he started shouting that the red card for Mozambique was detrimental for Nigeria. Gave Mozambique a real advantage.

1 hour ago, Dman said:

I wonder if we could see him in the 'false 9' role that Charly has been playing in recently. Done a similar role, with a degree of success at Rangers.. 

any position he takes up on the pitch is false as far as im concerned so yeah why not ?

oh, cos hes not as good as Alcaraz, that'll do for a reason !

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, saintant said:

Joe has put in some strong performances lately and we are beginning to see the best of him now. He is becoming a key player for us and I think there is a lot more to come from him as he has bags of skill and tricks which we are now seeing from him.

Had some good and some bad moments at Coventry but was very decent today. You can see why Martin likes him, he is pretty good at keeping the ball. 

I don't think he ever gave the ball away today, really sensible use of it, and he has the stature to keep hold of it in situations where others may loose it.

Technically a very good player, seemed to put on a press as well at times today which I don't think I've seen from him before. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't think he ever gave the ball away today, really sensible use of it, and he has the stature to keep hold of it in situations where others may loose it.

Technically a very good player, seemed to put on a press as well at times today which I don't think I've seen from him before. 

He was great today and to see him really making an effort to chase the ball was excellent. Like you say I've never seen that from him. The manager deserves credit for inspiring that in a player who has seemed lazy beforehand. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, saintant said:

Joe has put in some strong performances lately and we are beginning to see the best of him now. He is becoming a key player for us and I think there is a lot more to come from him as he has bags of skill and tricks which we are now seeing from him.

Steady on. I'm not sure two or three decent performances means he is a key player. I certainly hope that is what he becomes but let's not go overboard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

He’s technically excellent and good for possession based system. His style of play was never going to suit Ralph’s high press or Jones long ball so no wonder we didn’t see much from him last year. I quite rated him at rangers so hopefully we can start to see more for him now. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

He’s technically excellent and good for possession based system. His style of play was never going to suit Ralph’s high press or Jones long ball so no wonder we didn’t see much from him last year. I quite rated him at rangers so hopefully we can start to see more for him now. 

Good point. To be fair to him, he no longer runs around as if he's dragging a tractor tyre and yesterday, he held the ball up well, saw some good passes and even made intelligent runs in to spaces which weren't necessarily seen but could have broken their lines with the right pass. He's definitely starting to have an impact in our team.

He was very good today, can see why he’s picked, big and gangly - but limited in terms of ability let’s not kid ourselves.

He is a poor player, a couple of performances against worse opposition won’t change that. But nonetheless you have to say he did what was expected today and did it well. Maybe he’s found his level.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

He was very good today, can see why he’s picked, big and gangly - but limited in terms of ability let’s not kid ourselves.

He is a poor player, a couple of performances against worse opposition won’t change that. But nonetheless you have to say he did what was expected today and did it well. Maybe he’s found his level.

Well, we all see players differently but, in terms of ability, I think he's one of the best talents at the club.

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Certainly not limited in ability, probably one of our best technical players at the club. You only have to watch him to see his touch and manipulation of the ball to see that.

He lacks pace, but his technical ability has always been one of his positives.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Lets not kid ourselves, You are a poor judge of ability, and contradict yourself. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...