Stoke 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

1 hour ago, JRM said:

There was loads of tickets still  available (about 1000), give Saints or Stoke a ring in the morning I'd be surprised if you couldn't pay on the day. Mine hasn't turned up so they're going to arrange one to be collected at the ground so should certainly be possible for you to get one 

I called the TO at around 4:45 today and they told me that sales had closed at 4:30 and that he didn't think that tickets would be available on the day. I was.....annoyed.

Will call Stoke tomorrow to see what's what and post if I get an answer but if anyone knows differently,shout.

1 hour ago, Torres said:

I called the TO at around 4:45 today and they told me that sales had closed at 4:30 and that he didn't think that tickets would be available on the day. I was.....annoyed.

Will call Stoke tomorrow to see what's what and post if I get an answer but if anyone knows differently,shout.

Good luck, would seem a bit harsh and illogical not to make them available as 1) there's so many left and 2) there's loads of home end seats on general sale you buy right up until kick off 

13 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

Anyone know of any free parking near the ground? 

I always park in Meaford Drive. Follow the arrows on the map and you go up a path that takes maybe 10 minutes to get to the stadium.

Always found a space, no problem getting away afterwards either.

IMG_20231002_210908.jpg

Edited by The Cat

19 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I always park in Meaford Drive. Follow the arrows on the map and you go up a path that takes maybe 10 minutes to get to the stadium.

IMG_20231002_210908.jpg

On Google Street view it looks like no parking on event days now unfortunately...

5 hours ago, Dman said:

Brings a tear to my eye watching that - what a team we had back then which makes it even more sad to see the way its gone really. 

Yep, was at that one, we had some proper players back then.  Good game, Crouchie came on as a sub and got sent off if I remember correctly. Oh to have that level of players again. 

32 minutes ago, petermcpete said:

On Google Street view it looks like no parking on event days now unfortunately...

Tossers. Had a look and the restrictions end the other side of Blurton Road which is a bit further of a walk but opens up the opportunity of parking in Cockster Brook Lane which is funny if you are 12.

Martin presser....

• We will analyse game from Sat. Good stuff to be seen, and many things to improve
  • we will go through parts on the training pitch to improve and go through the threats stoke will pose
  • everyone is in good spirits, and hopefully take some of the weight of their shoulders
  • we have to build on the win saturday and take it through the week
  • the energy on saturday was a big improvement, with/without the ball
  • the instructions the players have learned started to show on sat
  • it was nice to see on Sat, it takes time but you could see it saturday
  • Proud of the team on how they have stuck together, they have been really close in the the last couple of weeks
  • Now it is a big step up and they have to improve all the time
  • We have to be realistic and accept the next 2 games will require a bit of rotation. We will do our best to help the player recover
  • we have brilliant facilities here for the players, but have to be aware of fitness
  • we have to build on sat
  • Sully has been really great since I have been here. He knows what we expect from him
  • I have been impressed by him, he is a very intelligent player and none of expected to be here now
  • I genuinely believe he can play at the very top if he realises his potential. We must get that from him
  • we have to keep him fit. He added loads of value both forwards and in defence
  • He is a really confident lad, but not really played many games, He has had a few injury problems
  • he has no issues in confidence or ability, but now up to us to get the best out of him
  • he has an incredible opportunity as our style is designed for players like him
  • I know Alex Neill very well, I was his skipper, he is 'gaffer' to me
  • His will to win is excellent, he is very detailed. they will have huge belief from Sat as they won after a difficult period, like us
  • it will be very different to Sat. Will Smallbone played from them last year, so maybe tap into what he knows
  • never played there on a tuesday night (in stoke)
  • Sat for us was not enough, we have to keep building
  • we must go into the international break feeling good. we had a tough month
  • The full week on the training pitch last week really helped
  • No player finds it easy on the bench. James Bree has trained very well, he is a good character, and is a really nice guy
  • he works hard. He had a really tough period here and playing in a system that is very new to him compared to his previous club
  • he is a resilient character. Stuck at it. He will get plenty more mins with us, I am very pleased with him
  • We believe in him as a player and he is one of many who has started to come out of their shell over the last couple of weeks.
  • Baz has been immense. He has been getting better with the ball. Some of his passing has been incredible.
  • He is very level headed and only now are we starting to see the personality of him, He will get better and better

• Like 14

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Martin presser....

• We will analyse game from Sat. Good stuff to be seen, and many things to improve
  • we will go through parts on the training pitch to improve and go through the threats stoke will pose
  • everyone is in good spirits, and hopefully take some of the weight of their shoulders
  • we have to build on the win saturday and take it through the week
  • the energy on saturday was a big improvement, with/without the ball
  • the instructions the players have learned started to show on sat
  • it was nice to see on Sat, it takes time but you could see it saturday
  • Proud of the team on how they have stuck together, they have been really close in the the last couple of weeks
  • Now it is a big step up and they have to improve all the time
  • We have to be realistic and accept the next 2 games will require a bit of rotation. We will do our best to help the player recover
  • we have brilliant facilities here for the players, but have to be aware of fitness
  • we have to build on sat
  • Sully has been really great since I have been here. He knows what we expect from him
  • I have been impressed by him, he is a very intelligent player and none of expected to be here now
  • I genuinely believe he can play at the very top if he realises his potential. We must get that from him
  • we have to keep him fit. He added loads of value both forwards and in defence
  • He is a really confident lad, but not really played many games, He has had a few injury problems
  • he has no issues in confidence or ability, but now up to us to get the best out of him
  • he has an incredible opportunity as our style is designed for players like him
  • I know Alex Neill very well, I was his skipper, he is 'gaffer' to me
  • His will to win is excellent, he is very detailed. they will have huge belief from Sat as they won after a difficult period, like us
  • it will be very different to Sat. Will Smallbone played from them last year, so maybe tap into what he knows
  • never played there on a tuesday night (in stoke)
  • Sat for us was not enough, we have to keep building
  • we must go into the international break feeling good. we had a tough month
  • The full week on the training pitch last week really helped
  • No player finds it easy on the bench. James Bree has trained very well, he is a good character, and is a really nice guy
  • he works hard. He had a really tough period here and playing in a system that is very new to him compared to his previous club
  • he is a resilient character. Stuck at it. He will get plenty more mins with us, I am very pleased with him
  • We believe in him as a player and he is one of many who has started to come out of their shell over the last couple of weeks.
  • Baz has been immense. He has been getting better with the ball. Some of his passing has been incredible.
  • He is very level headed and only now are we starting to see the personality of him, He will get better and better

Who are these players that need to be “rotated”? All the 11 that started on Saturday bar Sulemana had a full pre season didn’t they?

Pissing about with the team has been one of saints many downfalls lately 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

I think how we play/perform tonight will tell us a lot about the direction we are headed. Will it be a carry on of the big improvement on Saturday or will we revert to the tippy tappy, low intensity levels of the preceding 4 games? RM needs to get the line-up and system spot on - if he does we should have nothing to fear against Stoke. All 3 points would be great but a point will be fine as long as it's a decent performance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mixedkebab said:

Who are these players that need to be “rotated”? All the 11 that started on Saturday bar Sulemana had a full pre season didn’t they?

Pissing about with the team has been one of saints many downfalls lately 

I suspect he wont play Alcaraz or Stuart Armstrong unfortunately.

37 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I suspect he wont play Alcaraz or Stuart Armstrong unfortunately.

Definitely S Armstrong if past history is anything to go by. 

I'd imagine he also wants to give a bit of time to Charles, Edozie and possibly Adams and Fraser.  Wouldn't surprise me if we see S Armstrong, Alcaraz and Sulemana drop to the bench.  Not saying that's what I'd do but I could see us going with:

Baz

KWP                  THB                            Bednarek                Manning

Charles

Downes                           Smallbone

A Amstrong                        Che                                           Edozie

13 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Definitely S Armstrong if past history is anything to go by. 

I'd imagine he also wants to give a bit of time to Charles, Edozie and possibly Adams and Fraser.  Wouldn't surprise me if we see S Armstrong, Alcaraz and Sulemana drop to the bench.  Not saying that's what I'd do but I could see us going with:

Baz

KWP                  THB                            Bednarek                Manning

Charles

Downes                           Smallbone

A Amstrong                        Che                                           Edozie

All 3 of those players can create so it would be a mistake to leave them all out imo.

16 hours ago, The Cat said:

IMG_20231002_210908.jpg

Thanks mate, appreciate that 👍

RM said taking Sulemana off was premeditated on Saturday to preserve his fitness recovery. But does that mean S has saved enough juice to play from the start again tonight?

IMO If he’s fit he should start - i can see the temptation to continue this apparent rehab but it should be resisted and our best players should be on the pitch now showing why they are our best players. Before we drop too many more points. 

IF he’s not fit to start then the most like for like is Sam….

Two weeks off after the three games this week. Our 2009 to 2012 teams also played three games a week a lot for three years and coped alright. Lambert, Lallana, Fonte and Hammond certainly didn't miss many and they were the core of the team. That was also when only three subs were allowed and a five man bench.

I'd be pretty annoyed if the good creative players (Alcaraz and Sulemana) were rotated again as they were exactly what we had been missing in the recent losses. Neither have got call ups to their international sides either.

Also please don't shoehorn Adam Armstrong around the midfield. Play him as he did on Saturday, Adams on the bench.

• Like 4

Really "gaffer" should play an unchanged XI even if it means hooking SArmstrong and Alcaraz at HT. Keep the momentum and morale high, they and Sullywill want to play and they will be way more effective from the get-go when it is still 0-0. 

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Stoke have big injury problems...

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-city-southampton-team-news-8796533

I wonder if they will draft in a striker who has not scored for a lifetime.....you know what that means

I expect their fans are saying exactly that about Smallbone. Hope he will oblige!

He’s got to fight Sully now. Hopefully it’ll bring out the best!

Just now, Saint Matty 76 said:

We'll see some rotation against Rotherham on Saturday then I guess, based on his presser comments.

Happy with that, although I do feel for Edozie who has now not started the last 3 despite being the winger who justified his minutes the most beforehand. 

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

We'll see some rotation against Rotherham on Saturday then I guess, based on his presser comments.

Happy with that, although I do feel for Edozie who has now not started the last 3 despite being the winger who justified his minutes the most beforehand. 

If we win tonight I'd go with the same line-up again for the Rotherham game. Time to build partnerships and a settled side.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Wiggles31 said:

My three day old first born son will be watching his first Saints game on the hospital tonight. C’mon Saints do us proud. 

Congratulations Wiggles! I actually used to be a baby myself, so if you need any advice let me know.

• Haha 7

• Lighthouse changed the title to Stoke 0-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic