Stoke 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

Well f**k me if it isn't a cold, wet, October, Tuesday night away at Stoke. The graveyard of Messi, Neymar, Mbappe and every other footballer who isn't a great, big, hairy, northern lard arse.

Somehow we're live on Sky again, we seem to be getting more air time than anyone in the country this season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can imagine one of Stu/Alcaraz dropping out of this one with it coming around so quickly. Hopefully Edozie in for either rather than Fraser, who I still feel continues to do nothing other than block minutes for brighter prospects.

Would like Charles in as well but can't see him dropping Smallbone off the back of a goal and against Stoke.

• Like 5

Definitely a tough game for the way we play, Stoke still seem quite a physical side so we'll have to be prepared to get involved especially in midfield. 

Loads of tickets left in the away end for anyone who fancies making the trip after today's win. 

Would be huge if we could nick the 3 points with Rotherham up next chance to put the bad run behind us 

• Like 1

Unchanged 11, nobody loses their place after today. Today's team was the perfect balance. Could argue Smallbone for Charles. In Smallbone you get a player better in possession, while in Charles, you get a player better at winning back possession. But, after today, his goal and playing against an ex-club* I'd go Smallbone for this.

*It's probably just Saints where every ex-player scores against us, though.

We need to build on today’s win with another three points. Stoke will take confidence from their late winner after being 2 down. Sadly I won’t be able to make this game, despite it being my closest fixture to home - it’s my wife’s birthday and the offer of tickets to Stoke away were not well received! Play like we did first half today and we should be able to win this one. 1-2.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Unchanged 11, nobody loses their place after today. Today's team was the perfect balance. Could argue Smallbone for Charles. In Smallbone you get a player better in possession, while in Charles, you get a player better at winning back possession. But, after today, his goal and playing against an ex-club* I'd go Smallbone for this.

*It's probably just Saints where every ex-player scores against us, though.

We do have a large number of ex-players tbh

I worked in Stoke for a while and enjoyed it, really nice down to earth people. Became friendly with their physio and got free tickets including to the league cup final Saints v Forest. In those days it was a prosperous town then with thriving pottery and mining industries guaranteeing full employment. Those of a certain age might remember the darts from Jollies nightclub with the purple mushroom tablelights. Saw a few big names there. The Wicked Witch soon put paid to its prosperity though. I lived in beautiful countryside just outside, like many northern and midland industrial towns it was surrounded by beautiful countryside and in Stoke's case the peak district. Unfortunately the less said about the company the better, and I left the most beautiful view from my house far too soon. BTW the weather in Stoke isn't too bad, but in the peak district plenty of snow.

• Like 1

Would consider using James Bree as a front sweeper for this, covering the entire width of the field to stop their attacks.

Bree is very much in the Frazer Richardson mould which makes him ideal for this: northern and usually plays RB.

• Haha 1

Takes a brave person to pick this result with our form, could be just about anything. That said, given we don't do draws and have goals guaranteed in every game, it's a nailed on 0-0.

I can't see him keeping the same 11 given the short gap between games and would expect to see Charles in to strengthen midfield and maybe Adams up front.

18 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

So what do they say? I spent some time there year's ago but can't remember the local dialect.

Alright me duck. Or alright duck.

Every person you ever meet up there is a duck.

Get on a bus to Hanley and you’ll be asked “going Hanley, duck?”

Strange people, but mostly good, down to earth and friendly. 

52 minutes ago, trousers said:

You need to have a word with Louise from the Stoke Sentinel in that case...

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/stoke-trent-sayings-phrases-1425464

#source

Well she clearly doesn't realise that 'ay up' is not exclusive to Stoke. Far from it. It's the standard greeting here in Sheffield, and I've heard it all over Yorkshire and Derbyshire (where 'Duck' is also very common).

40 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Well she clearly doesn't realise that 'ay up' is not exclusive to Stoke. Far from it. It's the standard greeting here in Sheffield, and I've heard it all over Yorkshire and Derbyshire (where 'Duck' is also very common).

Pre lock down when i was going to the office i used to leave home at the same time as a mum and a little girl opposite, the little girl would always shout "ay up" at me from the other side of the road. Oh how the mum and i used to laugh about it. 

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

Brings a tear to my eye watching that - what a team we had back then which makes it even more sad to see the way its gone really. 

We had it all, good team, good football, lots of goals and some very good looking players.

On 30/09/2023 at 14:38, Lighthouse said:

Well f**k me if it isn't a cold, wet, October, Tuesday night away at Stoke. The graveyard of Messi, Neymar, Mbappe and every other footballer who isn't a great, big, hairy, northern lard arse.

Somehow we're live on Sky again, we seem to be getting more air time than anyone in the country this season.

Weather forecast is for zero rain and a fairly light breeze - should be a doddle now we've sorted out how to play football.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

We had it all, good team, good football, lots of goals and some very good looking players.

Don't get too nostalgic, I remember that cup win, we got back in the motor after the game buzzing for the 1/4 draw...YEESSSSSS we've got league one Sheffield United, going to be our year lads......

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Chewy said:

Alright me duck. Or alright duck.

Every person you ever meet up there is a duck.

Get on a bus to Hanley and you’ll be asked “going Hanley, duck?”

Strange people, but mostly good, down to earth and friendly. 

Some years ago I spent a couple of weeks in Mansfield for work, and it's the same there. Everyone called me duck.

As for the game I genuinely have no idea about the result, it could be anything. Would be great to win and build on the positivity but a draw wouldn't be a disaster.

53 minutes ago, SaintInExile said:

What’s the situation with paying on the gate these days? Won’t be able to make it to the ticket office but can now get to the game. Haven’t tried it in a good few years.

There was loads of tickets still  available (about 1000), give Saints or Stoke a ring in the morning I'd be surprised if you couldn't pay on the day. Mine hasn't turned up so they're going to arrange one to be collected at the ground so should certainly be possible for you to get one 

Edited by JRM

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Don't get too nostalgic, I remember that cup win, we got back in the motor after the game buzzing for the 1/4 draw...YEESSSSSS we've got league one Sheffield United, going to be our year lads......

Although that Sheffield United game was terrible it was made more enjoyable by the Saints fan having the meltdown on the radio, crying saying he wanted us to win cups and titles. I think he sat at the Chapel End and has Always been a saints fan. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Stoke 0-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic