January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

RM preference for left wingers to be right footed and vice versa seems an interesting but extreme example of his dogma at play. 

Sam Edozie ( right footed - plays LW ONLY) 

Kameldeen Sulemana ( right footed - plays predominantly LW occasionally early season told to switch) 

Ryan Fraser ( right footed - plays LW ONLY) 

KWP ( right footed - often dribbles down & around the right wing area and can use Left foot to score when cutting in - which I suspect is the exact template RM is looking for in this window) 

AA : ( right footed - but, contrary to RM dogma asked to play the right wing side of a front two) 

The only naturally left footed players we can use on the right, potentially, up front are Manning and Sam Amo ( both left footed ).

Our transfer policy is possibly very transparently a requirement for a left footed attacker playing right wing who can cut in and score. Obvs MB is the prime example but there’s others I’m sure on back up. 

It’s just a little odd that if that was so important to RM I’d have thought Amo would be getting more chances at RW or indeed KWP was switched to LB and Ryan to right back more often. Probably feels too early for the former and we need our defence to be as solid as possible the reason for not doing the latter  ( more often). 

In all this it’s Amo chances that will be most impacted by a new recruit but I guess he’s young enough - but does MB start ? Evidence suggests he’s a last thirty minutes substitute type against tiring defenders. Hopefully he’s happy with that because in my eyes he’s not clearly and obviously an immediate starter- Useful and game changing addition that he may be ..

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, saintant said:

I think we have priorities in other positions notably striker. Also don't believe he's that good a player - just my opinion of course.

What about him makes you think he isn't that good a player? I'll be honest, I don't know an awful lot about him but Burnley fans seem to think he's decent and he helped them rip up the league last year. 

Edited by hypochondriac

15 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What about him makes you think he isn't that good a player? I'll be honest, I don't know an awful lot about him but Burnley fans seem to think he's decent and he helped them rip up the league last year. 

Vincent Kompany his fellow Belgian manager does not seem to value or want him despite his apparent popularity with some Burnley fans for what he did last season. 
Could it be there’s a little bit of an issue between the two of them and it’s in everyone’s interests for MB to play elsewhere?? Bit like Howe and Fraser? 
IF MB comes to SMS as fired up as wee man it could be spectacular! 

Edited by gio1saints

7 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Vincent Kompany his fellow Belgian manager does not seem to value or want him despite his apparent popularity with some Burnley fans for what he did last season. 
Could it be there’s a little bit of an issue between the two of them and it’s in everyone’s interests for MB to play elsewhere?? Bit like Howe and Fraser? 

Could be or maybe his style isn't suited to the prem. Doesn't mean he wouldn't help get us promoted though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

I just think from what I've seen of him he wouldn't add a great deal because we have quite a few wingers on our books already and he's not stand-out enough to warrant adding another. We need a striker because if Adams goes or gets injured we will be relying on Mara or maybe playing a false number nine. If we are only getting one extra body in I think we should be prioritising a striker not a winger.

Edited by saintant
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pwoite said:

Was Payne sent on loan for experience or to put him in the shop window? As has been said before, not that many of our loans seem to help the individual, though I had thought Payne had been seen as a strong prospect. Will he end up like Vokins, Small and many others….

Paynes a strange one. 

Ralph gave him a debut away at Cambridge, he played really well and even got an assist. Looked a real prospect and someone who I wanted to see given more chances. 

Was in and around the 1st team under Ralph/Jones, signed a new contract last January, and went to Eastleigh on loan - but couldn't get in their team and was recalled after a month. 

Been playing regularly for Newport this season, but wasn't given a chance under Russell in pre-season. 

I would suggest his future lay elsewhere, which is a shame. 

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Could be or maybe his style isn't suited to the prem. Doesn't mean he wouldn't help get us promoted though. 

Maybe. Given their league position I’m tempted to say it’s more than just MB’s style of play that’s not suited to the EPL. And if he is not suited to the way Burnley currently play that’s not actually such a bad thing! Are they still PB based? I thought they were but we’re getting swarmed? 

I think there’s something else at play as mentioned above but it does not really matter as long as he arrives buzzing as they say 😁

30 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

They curently sit second bottom with no chance of survival, mybe Kompany isn't the great he was touted to be... Also didn't sign THB, so I'd question his judgement.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, saintant said:

I just thing from what I've seen of him he wouldn't add a great deal because we have quite a few wingers on our books already and he's not stand-out enough to warrant adding another. We need a striker because if Adams goes or gets injured we will be relying on Mara or maybe playing a false number nine. If we are only getting one extra body in I think we should be prioritising a striker not a winger.

I think it will be almost impossible to get a striker in January who is decent, available and would work financially given the outlay we have already made on Stewart. I expect the plan is to play Armstrong more advanced with Adams if required. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I think it will be almost impossible to get a striker in January who is decent, available and would work financially given the outlay we have already made on Stewart. I expect the plan is to play Armstrong more advanced with Adams if required. 

Not sure which Armstrong you are referring to but if it's AA he needs to remain in his present position which is his most effective in terms of goals and assists. You don't cover my point about the possibility of Adams leaving in this window.

it would certainly help if we knew if Burnley are playing exactly same as last year when they bullied this division. 
If they are - then potentially BIG lessons for Saints to learn by an intensive examination of what-went-wrong in the EPL for Burnley.  Ditto if they are not.

Would suggest whoever the new saints tactical analysts will be that he or she do a big paper on this for preseason analysis - if we go up that is. 

38 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I’m still hoping that a flurry of last-minute West Ham activity leads to them loaning us Ings.  He would score a fucking boatload in this league.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

it would certainly help if we knew if Burnley are playing exactly same as last year when they bullied this division. 
If they are - then potentially BIG lessons for Saints to learn by an intensive examination of what-went-wrong in the EPL for Burnley.  Ditto if they are not.

Would suggest whoever the new saints tactical analysts will be that he or she do a big paper on this for preseason analysis - if we go up that is. 

Not sure it matters what system Burnley play. They are chronically lacking quality throughout their team. Much like all the promoted teams this season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, saintant said:

Not sure which Armstrong you are referring to but if it's AA he needs to remain in his present position which is his most effective in terms of goals and assists. You don't cover my point about the possibility of Adams leaving in this window.

If Adams leaves then yes we would obviously need to get a striker in. At present he isn't going to so we won't be getting one. 

• Like 1

I still think we need a striker even if Adams stays.

Yesterday showcased that we simply cannot risk being in a position where we are reliant on Mara.

I ended up leaving the ground yesterday thinking that he was even worse than I had previously thought, which I hadn't thought could be possible.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

Yesterday showcased that we simply cannot risk being in a position where we are reliant on Mara.

I ended up leaving the ground yesterday thinking that he was even worse than I had previously thought, which I hadn't thought could be possible.

We may like another striker. I very much doubt we will be getting one though due to how much we have already spent on Stewart. It just isn't going to happen.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

We may like another striker. I very much doubt we will be getting one though due to how much we have already spent on Stewart. It just isn't going to happen.

I agree to some degree.  It would be great to get a striker however you are not going to get a certain finisher at this point in the transfer market.  It would need to be an unknown or someone in a division below like Ipswich have just gambled on (which numbers wise looks a good gamble) or someone who isn't getting enough game time which is always for a reason.  The manager doesn't seem to be nervous when being interviewed.  I think he would be nervous as hell if he was being told be ready to lose one of your main strikers when you have the hardest part of the season coming up.  Hopefully 1 in, McCarthy out and all else the same.

1 hour ago, Pat from Poole said:

Not really. We put out a very disjointed and much changed side that struggled to perform at tempo or string many cutting passes together. He's already showed he can do it at this level, and indeed the prem level... what he needs is a good run off games. If he was playing (rather than Che), in front of our normal midfield, then i would expect him to be more than fine at this level.... the issue being that we are playing very well and its hard to get into the side.

Indeed, if we don't get promoted then he is exactly the kind of half decent striker i could see a long time championship (occasionally flirt with the playoffs) southampton side fielding... He's a fine 3rd choice for this season.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/9376900.stm

Mad to think this signing was made 13 years ago and propelled us to promotion from league one.

Hit the bar and got an assist in a debut win away at Exeter - demonstrating the pace, power and intelligent movment that would later see him snapped up by Port Vale.

Who says the best players are unavailable in Jan?!

29 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Not really. We put out a very disjointed and much changed side that struggled to perform at tempo or string many cutting passes together. He's already showed he can do it at this level, and indeed the prem level... what he needs is a good run off games. If he was playing (rather than Che), in front of our normal midfield, then i would expect him to be more than fine at this level.... the issue being that we are playing very well and its hard to get into the side.

Indeed, if we don't get promoted then he is exactly the kind of half decent striker i could see a long time championship (occasionally flirt with the playoffs) southampton side fielding... He's a fine 3rd choice for this season.

He really isn't. 

Nothing about him is half-decent.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

Benson was 2nd in goals per min in the championship, apparently man of the match in 5 of their games. 

Don't know enough about him to understand why he didn't get more minutes but 11 goals, 3 assists from 14 starts, 19 as sub, sounds useful addition

Is he not short enough?

1 hour ago, E_H_Saints said:

I agree to some degree.  It would be great to get a striker however you are not going to get a certain finisher at this point in the transfer market.  It would need to be an unknown or someone in a division below like Ipswich have just gambled on (which numbers wise looks a good gamble) or someone who isn't getting enough game time which is always for a reason.  The manager doesn't seem to be nervous when being interviewed.  I think he would be nervous as hell if he was being told be ready to lose one of your main strikers when you have the hardest part of the season coming up.  Hopefully 1 in, McCarthy out and all else the same.

I can't see us losing Adams at this stage. You would expect we would have had honest conversations with him and had a cutoff point for planning. He's in the team most weeks now anyway so I expect he's content to cash in in the summer. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

Benson was 2nd in goals per min in the championship, apparently man of the match in 5 of their games. 

Don't know enough about him to understand why he didn't get more minutes but 11 goals, 3 assists from 14 starts, 19 as sub, sounds useful addition

I think it was because Tella played in his position which kept him out of the team. Looks good stats wise though. 

1 hour ago, West end Saints said:

Leeds fans are going crazy because “ Benson chose Southampton over them “ They also lost out to some geezer who chose to go to go to Luton instead of Leeds.

4 minutes ago, manji said:

Leeds fans are going crazy because “ Benson chose Southampton over them “ They also lost out to some geezer who chose to go to go to Luton instead of Leeds.

Pretty sure Manning chose us over them too. Gapko too.

Brooks is a class act,and out of the right sided players we have been linked with I think he’s the best one ..

the question is though do we really move Arma from where he’s doing exceptionally well to accommodate him ?  Probably means dropping che and putting Arma centre forward I’m fine with benching che but will we lose the productivity from Arma ?

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 1

Looks like Brooks has been told he won't be week in week out first team at Bournemouth, so he's told them he wants to move. I think we were the only option if that happened and it looks like it has!

Absolute baller of a player, so technical and nice to watch - glides across the pitch, absolutely perfect for how we play. Not a typical hugging the touchline winger, more than happy to come inside, play as a 10 and break the lines. At Championship level he should boss it, he single handily ripped Swansea to pieces - admittedly not hard, but lots of teams are of Swansea standard in this league.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Dman said:

Adams, Armstong, Mara - Alcaraz and Aribo at a push... We've got more than enough up top for now, imo. 

Aside Armstrong or playing someone who prefers to play on the left on the right, we have no experienced cover at RW.. 

In short, I wont be dissapointed if we dont bring anyone in, but I think Benson or Brooks would really improve ourside. I'm still much more in the camp of Brooks

COT strike again

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Leeds united view

"I was hoping Southampton would miss out on Brooks, a nice move for him just down the road from Bournemouth.

Saints with quality players at their disposal don't need to strengthen their squad.

They are ambitious & certainly mean business."

• Like 2

Bournemouth aren't happy. Bless them still trying their god damn hardest to make a rivalry with us though

That gifts scum promotion- just as we did for Brighton with glen murray.

Not happy plus feel he can contribute to our season

Maybe we are in ffp trouble!

15 minutes ago
Seems crazy to me. We're making promotion as easy as possible for them whilst also not guaranteeing Brooks the game time he needs given their existing options. Any other Championship side (with the potential exception of Leicester/Leeds) would start Brooks without question, but not the case there.

Means we surely aren't selling Billing.

Up there with one of the worst decisions the club has made in decades. Make him feel wanted and play him. Miles above Billing and Christie and Co. Crazy!

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Looks like Brooks has been told he won't be week in week out first team at Bournemouth, so he's told them he wants to move. I think we were the only option if that happened and it looks like it has!

Absolute baller of a player, so technical and nice to watch - glides across the pitch, absolutely perfect for how we play. Not a typical hugging the touchline winger, more than happy to come inside, play as a 10 and break the lines. At Championship level he should boss it, he single handily ripped Swansea to pieces - admittedly not hard, but lots of teams are of Swansea standard in this league.

Are the welsh in the Euro championships ? if so thats probably the overriding factor in his decision, not access to Russ's hairstylist.

If not I take it back about the hair stylist, he's a wonderful technician of russ's coiffure and well worth joining us.

Edit I see they are in the playoffs in march - this is their group out of 4 groups 

They have to beat Finland (21st March) then winner of poland v estonia (26th March). great just around the leciester and ipswich games, hope he doesnt get injured.

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 19.55.53.png

Edited by Convict Colony