January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Shame to see him go, but understandable given his restricted game time and inability to nail down an attacking spot in the Martin set up.    Hard to forget the many promising minutes he played in the Prem last season - probably more suited to the quick movement, counter-attacking style rather than the present set up.  In some ways the outstanding form of S. Armstrong and the recent re-emergence of Aribo haven't helped his cause and RM obviously rates Rothwell even if he hasn't offered up much spark to date.   I hope we haven't seen the last of Charly.

I’ve felt the Charlie move was inevitable over the last few weeks, his appearances in the league have been restricted to 5-10 minute cameos and with the Rothwell signing adding more competition you had to wonder which player was likely to move on, with Charlie the most likely.

£35m option is good money.

Gutted it hasn’t worked out as well as we’d all hoped it would this season, it’s allot easier to swallow than it would have been last Summer, though.

Amazing to think if Charlie leaves, the only players remaining and born outside of the UK will be Laros, Sulemana, Mara and Bednarek. I wonder if one of the strategies is to buy players from the home nations!?

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

As others have said this is probably a departure we are able to weather. He isn't in our first choice eleven and we have decent depth.

The more concerning thing for the next 24 hours is how this has come out of nowhere, its not like we've had a month of Charly rumours, in the same way pretty much no KWP rumours either.

The window ain't over until its over.

Yep, and the Brooks signing makes me wary of whether we're comfortable having a more defensive RB in Bree (with Holgate as cover) with the attacking talent of Brooks ahead of him. I'm hoping our outgoing business will be done after Alcaraz, but I'm not sure it will be.

Until we hear that window slam, anything is possible. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

As others have said this is probably a departure we are able to weather. He isn't in our first choice eleven and we have decent depth.

The more concerning thing for the next 24 hours is how this has come out of nowhere, its not like we've had a month of Charly rumours, in the same way pretty much no KWP rumours either.

The window ain't over until its over.

The writing has been on the wall since Rothwell came in, imo. There’s no way the club would have signed him (JR) if he didn’t have a suspicion that one of Charley, Stu or Aribo would be off. 

we also wouldn’t have sent him out in loan, to a club who have no means to actually pay the agreed proposal fee, if we really wanted to keep him.

I just don’t see KWP going at this late stage, unless we get something stupid for him. With Charley, he’s not been playing & we had a succession plan. The complete opposite would be true for KWP. 

Only people I can see leaving at this stage would be Che and / or Mara.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Most PL clubs have got no money so not worried about KWP leaving given his likely price tag. 

Che on the other hand I could see going still to someone like Palace or Wolves - maybe why we won’t let Mara go on loan? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dman said:

The writing has been on the wall since Rothwell came in, imo. There’s no way the club would have signed him (JR) if he didn’t have a suspicion that one of Charley, Stu or Aribo would be off. 

we also wouldn’t have sent him out in loan, to a club who have no means to actually pay the agreed proposal fee, if we really wanted to keep him.

I just don’t see KWP going at this late stage, unless we get something stupid for him. With Charley, he’s not been playing & we had a succession plan. The complete opposite would be true for KWP. 

Only people I can see leaving at this stage would be Che and / or Mara.

The only scenario where by I could KWP going now would be if he pushes for a move and we get silly money for him.

He seems happy here this season. Obviously that could change if a big club came in for him but he's always said how much he owes us for giving him the chance after Spurs. 

I have no doubt we'd let him go in the summer if he wanted to move on. 

• Like 1

Not sure I want to lose him as he is one of the few midfielders that turns and drives forward with the ball, but he has not been playing much and is probably better suited to the pace of the prem. 

So maybe he wants more game time with international comps coming up, we don't want to lose him so a loan to a big team and a massive pricetag may be the best option.

If we go up here either comes back with more experience or we get a big fee for him.

Can Juventus realistically afford him for that much? Who knows, maybe we get promoted and Alcaraz is starring for us in the prem next season.

Eitherway, a side with Aribo or Rothwell starting over Alcaraz is a weaker side... let alone factoring in future potential.

• Like 5

Not overly enthusiastic about this to be honest. No way Juventus are parting with £40million in the summer so we’re just losing some squad depth for the run in. Rothwell doesn’t look to have anywhere near the ability, but I guess some would argue he’s better suited to this level. 

• Like 3

As said before it’s a shame if he does go because he seems like a really likeable guy with some talent.

But let’s look at this another way, he’s scored a handful of goals in his time here and that’s it.
You could argue Chris Perry was a more significant signing over a decade ago, he scored roughly as many as a 3”4” CB.

In my opinion he has had a lot of leeway towards him because he had a bit of flair, and when he came in quite frankly it was nice to have a player that moved forward rather than sat deep.

I’d also argue he’s had less impact than Armando Broja did, but let’s be honest, he hasn’t been groundbreaking.

Nothing against the lad, wish him all the best but if someone offered £25m for him I’d have taken it so to potentially get more than that down the line is incredible work by the club.

Disappointed hes going tbh, always worked his socks off for the team, really came into his own driving at teams or finding spaces between the lines, more in second halves when games opened up.  I still thought he had so much to offer the first side, is it a gamble ? only if Brooks/Rothwell perform. Dont think he's worth 40m though but may be back in the summer if things dont work out. Good luck to him

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, saintoaks said:

Disappointed hes going tbh, always worked his socks off for the team, really came into his own driving at teams or finding spaces between the lines, more in second halves when games opened up.  I still thought he had so much to offer the first side, is it a gamble ? only if Brooks/Rothwell perform. Dont think he's worth 40m though but may be back in the summer if things dont work out. Good luck to him

I guess he hasn't really settled here, doesn't speak the language well so life must be difficult. then you don't reach top form, he has talent and is capable of more --good luck to him!

Charly signed a 5 year deal last year which will probably see him on high wages and was bought for £12m. If he goes for £34m it's a bit of a no brainer for someone not really lighting it up in the championship. Strangely he'd probably perform much better if we get back into the Premier League. Shifting his wages means we can get other players in like Brooks who may be more influential in promotion.

• Like 1

The move seems a bit leftfield, but he’s not getting many minutes here and a chance at Juventus is huge for him. In a similar vein to the Brooks loan, there’s no real losers here - better for us (and AFCB) to have the option in the squad but we’re losing them for the odd 10 minutes and we have other options. Better that the player gets minutes imho.

Keeping on the theme of leftfield, I wonder if this move is in any way linked to a summer bid for Matias Soule should we go up?

As for Charlie, I wish him lots of luck. Think he’s struggled to settle culturally, not helped by joining a total sh1t show for the first few months. Lots of talent and hope he makes the most of it, preferably back here but if not wherever his career takes him (except if he ever ends up at Pompey, of course)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Where does the O'Neil bloke from Coventry play? Any chance we coukd be in for him? Expect we are done but you never know. 

Callum O'Hare? Midfielder...wouldn't say no if that rumour was true

• Like 1

Seems like a logical 'win-win' move to me... 

He's getting limited match time this season so he he'll hopefully get more minutes under his belt in Serie A and come back a better player if/when we're back in the PL next season. 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Where does the O'Neil bloke from Coventry play? Any chance we coukd be in for him? Expect we are done but you never know. 

Is this one of your "I know something but will pose it as a question" posts...? ;)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Seems like a logical 'win-win' move to me... 

He's getting limited match time this season so he he'll hopefully get more minutes under his belt in Seria A and come back a better player if/when we're back in the PL next season. 

And if the club does NOT get promoted and Juventus want to buy him, then that money will be very useful next season to try again ... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Yeah that's him I wasn't paying attention ha. Wonder if we'd consider it when Alcaraz goes. 

I’m pretty sure Rothwell was the Alcaraz replacement and that this deal has been on the cards a lot longer than it’s been in the media. On the one hand I wouldn’t get your hopes up for another incoming, on the other I wouldn’t worry too much about anyone else leaving. The squad looks reasonably well balanced with only a late departure for Che or Mara really on the cards.

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Yeah that's him I wasn't paying attention ha. Wonder if we'd consider it when Alcaraz goes. 

Its been on the radar but we're not the only ones interested from what I've read. Been keeping an eye on it! Scored some handy goals...but now we're into the silly days of the transfer window who knows! 24 hours ago hadn't heard a dot about Alcaraz!

This is what he will get drilled into him 

https://www.juventus.com/en/academy/juventus-way

If returns with the Italian version of PB football could be interesting. Charlie, for me, is a “difference maker” but like all players in that mould can be frustrating to watch at times, delightful at other times. A luxury in a struggling team, the final touch of class in a dominant team. Wish him all the best and would love him to come back and star for us in the EPL next year. *

* we fail to go up he is v unlikely to return to championship with us unless he’s had a right mare out there. 

• Like 3

I'm sure his habit of giving the ball away in dangerous places will go down a treat in Serie A.

In a possession-obsessed league, have Juventus actually seen him play?

He'll be back, and hopefully a better player for it, hope he does well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

This is what he will get drilled into him 

https://www.juventus.com/en/academy/juventus-way

If returns with the Italian version of PB football could be interesting. Charlie, for me, is a “difference maker” but like all players in that mould can be frustrating to watch at times, delightful at other times. A luxury in a struggling team, the final touch of class in a dominant team. Wish him all the best and would love him to come back and star for us in the EPL next year. *

* we fail to go up he is v unlikely to return to championship with us unless he’s had a right mare out there. 

I'm not sure that's fair to the boy. He looked better for us when we were struggling in the Premier League than now we're a top team in the Championship. I think it's more that he's not suited to the passing game

Well we're not playing him and at his age he needs playing time. It's a good move all round.

Sometimes you have to think of the player. Can't just let him rot on the bench.

There is a danger that the squad is becoming too big.

I can't see how Martin can accommodate KWP, Bree, Manning, and a highly promising Meghoma. Not to mention Holgate or Larios in the background. I suspect there will be movement there.

Same situation with our wide players. Suspect Sulemana will go on loan as well.

The reality of being a Championship side unfortunately.

55 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I would have rather seen Aribo move on to be honest, but guess the demand for him is not there. 

From what i've seen, Aribo has been playing and is seen more in the 'deeper' role - competing with Smallbone. 

We're left with; 

6: Downes, Charles 

8: Smallbone, Aribo 

10: Stu, rothwell. 

That's absolutely ridiculous strength in depth for this level. 

• Like 3