January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

The official site sums CA loan up. To give him further experience and when he comes back he will be a better player. I think the outlandish final fee is viewed similarly by us as unlikely.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, derry said:

The official site sums CA loan up. To give him further experience and when he comes back he will be a better player. I think the outlandish final fee is viewed similarly by us as unlikely.

One for the summer.. keep your eyes on a player(s) worth similar value currently at the old lady... 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dman said:

One for the summer.. keep your eyes on a player(s) worth similar value currently at the old lady... 

Do you mean leaving to join other clubs or to swap with us? Also, are we talking players worth €49m or something more akin to Alcarez's realistic value? 

2 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Broja looks Fulham bound

Seems likely, although there are mutterings about £5m being too much for a half season loan (no doubt Broja's weekly wage is a small fortune too) and they will look elsewhere....Che Adams maybe?

22 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

He's still one of the fastest around though.

Good engine, etc

PS My guess about an incoming player is Weston McKennie from Juventus. Fits with the Alcaraz stuff and think we sniffed around him in the past (but could be wrong)

Edited by DT
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

Surely he can do better than back up at Saints? I could see him ending up at Hull or Middlesbrough.

Maybe he wants to come back to his 'spiritual home' his career has taken a bit a nosedive lately but there is a player in there somewhere, I wouldn't be adverse to signing him on a short term deal if he was interested.

5 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Wishing Holgate all the best. I never felt he wasn't trying or whatever - He just isn't very good!

Says something about the quality of this seasons Premier League bottom three. 

Edited by SotonianWill

5 minutes ago, Markyruk said:

Calum Chambers available. Would suit us as a backup CB

would genuinely be no better than Holgate - imo worse and would need ot learn the system etc. with no gametime. 

Avoid, avoid, avoid. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

We either need to bring in another midfielder to cover Charles at CB, or another CB.

Personally more than happy with cover at CB. I know it is possible we get another long term injury, but even when we did Holgate was hardly used. Stephens can't get back in the side so will already have a CB on the bench. Charles, Bree, Manning offer options if we get stuck for game.

If Downes is out, needing Charles to cover, it would only be a problem if it was at the same time as three of our CBs and Bree, and no other options from under 21. 

Just now, Sunglasses Ron said:

Buggered off at the first opportunity, going on to have a pretty mediocre career at best.

And would any of us not leave our jobs at the first opportunity for a better job on better wages? Why can't people accept that players aren't going to have the same level of emotional attachment to a club that they do.

Clubs are franchises

Football is an industry

Players/managers are employees

Fans are customers

Why can't people grasp this?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Buggered off at the first opportunity, going on to have a pretty mediocre career at best.

He did "bugger off" to Arsenal to be fair, it wasnt like he left us for Crystal Palace or Fulham's level. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

And would any of us not leave our jobs at the first opportunity for a better job on better wages? Why can't people accept that players aren't going to have the same level of emotional attachment to a club that they do.

Clubs are franchises

Football is an industry

Players/managers are employees

Fans are customers

Why can't people grasp this?

Oh I get that, trust me.

What I mean is that he was the product of our academy, but only made 22 appearance for us before moving to Arsenal where he was hardly a success and has achieved little of note since then (playing just 174 times in ~14 years).  For me, he left way too early and we would all have been better off if he'd stayed a while longer.

As you point out, there should certainly be no emotional "bring him home" crap and I just don't think he'd be that good.

• Like 2

If Charles is our CDM cover, who is our 4th choice CB with Holgate looking to be terminated? We have a lot of games coming up thick and fast, we are likely to pick up injuries and suspensions. Slight concern.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Oh I get that, trust me.

What I mean is that he was the product of our academy, but only made 22 appearance for us before moving to Arsenal where he was hardly a success and has achieved little of note since then (playing just 174 times in ~14 years).  For me, he left way too early and we would all have been better off if he'd stayed a while longer.

As you point out, there should certainly be no emotional "bring him home" crap and I just don't think he'd be that good.

I don't either but got a few trophies didn't he? That oppertunity may not have come around again and if he's as crap as we both seem to think, it almost certainly wouldn't have done.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

If Charles is our CDM cover, who is our 4th choice CB with Holgate looking to be terminated? We have a lot of games coming up thick and fast, we are likely to pick up injuries and suspensions. Slight concern.

Bree

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

More likely Charles as CB cover, one of the academy lads (Bragg?) as midfield cover. I think we have a couple of U21 defenders who aren't miles off the first team too.

12 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Charles could easily cover both at CB and CM. We'd have to be very unfortunate to lose Downes, Smallbone and 2 CB's at the same time, leaving us short in both positions.. No conern needed. 

• Like 1

Just now, igsey said:

More likely Charles as CB cover, one of the academy lads (Bragg?) as midfield cover. I think we have a couple of U21 defenders who aren't miles off the first team too.

Nico Lawrence has just been recalled from his loan at Colchester. Admittedley he was recalled after being injured all season and has only just got fit again, but still. 

Not sure if he's the answer, but could be a (last-choice) option. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

Nico Lawrence has just been recalled from his loan at Colchester. Admittedley he was recalled after being injured all season and has only just got fit again, but still. 

Not sure if he's the answer, but could be a (last-choice) option. 

Tbf they were raving about him before he got injured. Still, it's a fair step up from League 2. 

12 minutes ago, Dman said:

Charles could easily cover both at CB and CM. We'd have to be very unfortunate to lose Downes, Smallbone and 2 CB's at the same time, leaving us short in both positions.. No conern needed. 

We would have to be very unlucky, and clearly we didn’t want to pay £35k/week in the championship to cover for that eventuality. I guess that’s a financially sensible decision but we did have 2 players for every position with Holgate.

1 minute ago, goodymatt said:

We would have to be very unlucky, and clearly we didn’t want to pay £35k/week in the championship to cover for that eventuality. I guess that’s a financially sensible decision but we did have 2 players for every position with Holgate.

Is perhaps, someone like Zach Awe, impressing in the youth team and they see Holgate as blocking the path?

Just now, Polegategavin243 said:

Is perhaps, someone like Zach Awe, impressing in the youth team and they see Holgate as blocking the path?

If he’s looking ready to step up that would be great news. I guess if we bring nobody in then we will only find out if we do get a few injuries. Let’s hope we don’t have to find out!

10 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Could always recall Lyanco! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Ben Johnson would be really shrewd, can cover all Defensive positions 

We have been linked before. He may be reluctant to drop down a division just before he is out of contract. He won't want people to think he's a `championship level player'.

Maybe we can attract him by loaning him (now) until the end of the season, but with some certainty of a new four year contract at the end of it (assuming we go up).