January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 hour ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

So not so far fetched we could see Soule at SFC! 

This Charlie deal is very interesting, a young raw Argie that cannot get into our team can be swept away to a mega club like Juv for big loan and possible big fee. 

Juv were reported interested in him before we snatched him up, another obscure buy from our scouts, but obvioulsy well known to the intl scouts as a player with huge potential. Add this to the attempt to buy Gakpo we seem to be interested in some of the worlds best young break out players. 

With Sully, Abk and a few others that could have a very high ceiling in world football, we are certainly look like a club that still shoots for the "stars"...." future stars".

Edited by BERMUDASAINT
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

is that a permanent move?

Dunno but i guess maybe as he shouldnt cost much as they were sniffing around for 4-5m before werent they?

"The sister of defender Lyanco, Lyarah, who is also Maycon’s wife of Corinthians, leaked a message that allegedly would be a Timão inquiry.

The sister of defender Lyanco, Lyarah, who is also the wife of midfielder Maycon of Corinthians, leaked a message that allegedly would be an inquiry from Timão about the defender.

Lyarah, the player’s sister, posted a story, which was later deleted, showing a message stating that Corinthians’ football director, Fábio Soldado, had called someone and said that the club from São Paulo would make an offer for the Southampton defender, from England, currently on loan to Al-Gharafa, from Qatar.

After the incident, she apologized and stated that she deleted the post because there was an important message that had just arrived"

21 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Get Bella Kotchap back for the run in! 

Hasn't he done his shoulder in, again? He's been out injured for last 3 months.

Also, I suspect RM doesn't want him anywhere near his squad.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I've completely lost track of which senior players we have loaned out, which had permanent moves and which had loans with options to buy.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Dunno but i guess maybe as he shouldnt cost much as they were sniffing around for 4-5m before werent they?

"The sister of defender Lyanco, Lyarah, who is also Maycon’s wife of Corinthians, leaked a message that allegedly would be a Timão inquiry.

The sister of defender Lyanco, Lyarah, who is also the wife of midfielder Maycon of Corinthians, leaked a message that allegedly would be an inquiry from Timão about the defender.

Lyarah, the player’s sister, posted a story, which was later deleted, showing a message stating that Corinthians’ football director, Fábio Soldado, had called someone and said that the club from São Paulo would make an offer for the Southampton defender, from England, currently on loan to Al-Gharafa, from Qatar.

After the incident, she apologized and stated that she deleted the post because there was an important message that had just arrived"

Do they share the brain? She gets it when he's playing and he gets it when he's not.

Edited by Chez
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

Hasn't he done his shoulder in, again? He's been out injured for last 3 months.

Also, I suspect RM doesn't want him anywhere near his squad.

Yeah I was only joking. Would be good if we had a semi competent youth team cb though we could stick in the squad as 4th choice just in case. 

31 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Or Caleta-Car, not that he's done much for Lyon by the looks of it.

The most successful loan out story this season appears to be Lis.

8 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Or Caleta-Car, not that he's done much for Lyon by the looks of it.

The most successful loan out story this season appears to be Lis.

It's very strange. I remember a lot of people on here really calling out for Saints to sign DCC......not sure what happened.....

2 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

3 hours ago, Dman said:

One for the summer.. keep your eyes on a player(s) worth similar value currently at the old lady... 

Been keen for a while.

20240201_153014.jpg

36 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I've completely lost track of which senior players we have loaned out, which had permanent moves and which had loans with options to buy.

Although he hasn't played for us played yet ...goalie Lis, and Onuacho are both in Turkey.   Caleta-Car in Lyon, and Perraud in  Nice. 

Bella-Kotchap in Holland, and  Lyanco (somewhere in the Middle East.)

Around a dozen or so U21 lads, are / were out on short-term, or season-long loans.    Dom Ballard was doing well at Reading - until his injury,

and  Lewis Payne is getting regular game time with Newport County.     

Glad to see Thierry Small back,  as well as Jake  Vokins ..from ...wherever he's been in the meantime.. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Although he hasn't played for us played yet ...goalie Lis, and Onuacho are both in Turkey.   Caleta-Car in Lyon, and Perraud in  Nice. 

Bella-Kotchap in Holland, and  Lyanco (somewhere in the Middle East.)

Around a dozen or so U21 lads, are / were out on short-term, or season-long loans.    Dom Ballard was doing well at Reading - until his injury,

and  Lewis Payne is getting regular game time with Newport County.     

Glad to see Thierry Small back,  as well as Jake  Vokins ..from ...wherever he's been in the meantime.. 

Cheers David

I’m happy with the Charlie deal and I love Charlie - but I do think there is some naivety around wrt to why it’s happened. Two main reasons: 

1. The loan fee covers Charlie’s 6mth wages plus bits and bobs & fees..virtually no “profit”. There is no guarantee he actually plays as far as I’m aware. 

2. There’s no chance Juve pay €49m for him in the summer. None. They do not have the money - and would need to sell first or swop at best - and that’s if Charlie has a blinder and scores ten goals plus assists - hence the Soulé swapsie link. 

Primary thing happening here despite the official sugar coating is that SR are using Juve to value-add our player in a way very unlikely/ almost inconceivable if he was to stay at saints til summer coming off the bench. A type of sports washing if you like. 

All it means is that we get his wages paid for 6 months and then he’s back. SR hope the experience will increase his skills & transfer value - but certainly the kudos of having played for Juve will enhance his selling value alone.
The €49M option price is simply hype to to make possible summer suitors raise their bid level if they want to take him on board when Juve ( probably) reject the opportunity.

It’s just clever business sense neatly marketed and credibly-on-the-surface at least packaged as a player development opportunity. 
Im not dissing it  or Saints- but it’s not all about Charlie put it that way- as I’d expect and most mature observers already realise. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Holgate going to Sheffield United would pretty much rubber stamp their horrific attempts to compete as a PL club. They might as well not have bothered getting promoted. Coventry would have given it a bigger go.

Not got a problem with Holgate in terms of the effort he's given us, but he's pretty shit let's be honest! We do probably have 1 too many loans now in terms of the match day squad, so that one being cancelled has always been likely imo.

4th CB is likely to be seen as Charles.

• Like 6

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Holgate going to Sheffield United would pretty much rubber stamp their horrific attempts to compete as a PL club. They might as well not have bothered getting promoted. Coventry would have given it a bigger go.

Not got a problem with Holgate in terms of the effort he's given us, but he's pretty shit let's be honest! We do probably have 1 too many loans now in terms of the match day squad, so that one being cancelled has always been likely imo.

4th CB is likely to be seen as Charles.

Added to the fact that Wilder is very unlikeable. 

Not much going on today - I haven't watched SSN yet but I bet they're still overselling it. FFP and the points deduction for Everton have really shat teams up. Not that Saints really needed much, Brooks and Rothwell on loan strengthen what was already one of the strongest teams in the League. Alcaraz is a loss to a point but financially understandable and he's not first choice for us, same with Holgate.

I'm greedy, I still would like another Striker and CB in but realistically our squad should be good enough now to get promoted. I look forward to seeing Brooks' contribution.

2 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Not much going on today - I haven't watched SSN yet but I bet they're still overselling it. FFP and the points deduction for Everton have really shat teams up. Not that Saints really needed much, Brooks and Rothwell on loan strengthen what was already one of the strongest teams in the League. Alcaraz is a loss to a point but financially understandable and he's not first choice for us, same with Holgate.

I'm greedy, I still would like another Striker and CB in but realistically our squad should be good enough now to get promoted. I look forward to seeing Brooks' contribution.

It's absolutely dead. They'll probably make out Holgate as being the signing of the day.

• Haha 1

Paul Merson's snippet of wisdom around Holgate. He should have joined a top 4 championship team rather than Sheff U - completely ignorant to the fact he was already at one.

"If I was Mason Holgate, I would have joined one of the top four in Championship and being in a winning team, and having a chance of going up.

"Being at Sheffield United though, it'll help him become a better defender as he'll be doing it a lot more."

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1
  • Haha 14
  • Confused 1

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Paul Merson's snippet of wisdom around Holgate. He should have joined a top 4 championship team rather than Sheff U, basically - completely ignorant to the fact he was already at one.

"If I was Mason Holgate, I would have joined one of the top four in Championship and being in a winning team, and having a chance of going up.

"Being at Sheffield United though, it'll help him become a better defender as he'll be doing it a lot more."

🤣

What a fecking moron...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Personally, I'd like to see us use the Alcaraz money to make the Fraser move permenent then Holgate staying isn't an issue. 

There is no money for Alcaraz. They've covered his wages, and given us a drink on top. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Broja to Fulham. Makes sense geographically at the very least!

Good move for all is that. Broja and Jiminez could be a cracking partnership. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Paul Merson's snippet of wisdom around Holgate. He should have joined a top 4 championship team rather than Sheff U - completely ignorant to the fact he was already at one.

Back on the sauce combined with the IQ of a tennis racquet.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Go home Merson, you're... No wait, I can't make that joke.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Broja to Fulham. Makes sense geographically at the very least!

Fulham is a great move for him actually, they'd suit him. They play with 1 up top generally, used to be Mitrovic but now Jimenez - so he's another of a similar profile. Could work out well for him there, I know Chelsea fans think he's an absolute carthorse so they don't want him back.

Edited by S-Clarke

1 minute ago, Eric The Red said:

Don't think his wage costs are 3.7m for 5 months! But agree that net gain to us probably no more than about 2 mill

Yep, something like that. Agents fees doubtless coming out of that, and something to Charly for relocation etc. We ain't buying Fraser from the small profit was my point. 

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Well if he’d said anything even half way sensible it would’ve put the pigeon right amongst the cats.

2 hours ago, gio1saints said:

1. The loan fee covers Charlie’s 6mth wages plus bits and bobs & fees..virtually no “profit”. 

Juve's season ends on 26th May. That's 16 weeks, not six months. Dividing the €3.9m fee by 16 is €240k a week. Unless you think we are paying him that, then we are making a tidy profit. Even if it was 6 months (24 weeks), that would still be €162k a week. We are not paying him that either.

There is also a potential €1.9m extra for Juve to pay, which you would assume is if he plays some games and they win the league. Maybe that happens, maybe it doesn't.

• Like 1

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Just flicked on SSN - Christ they're struggling. Nothing to talk about, biggest transfer seems to be Broja on a loan.

It's not like the old days with the dildo in the ears!

Biggest transfer of the day - Hamilton to Ferrari. Not even football!

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Just flicked on SSN - Christ they're struggling. Nothing to talk about, biggest transfer seems to be Broja on a loan.

It's not like the old days with the dildo in the ears!

Harry Redknapp hanging out the driver's seat window of a car.

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

And then doesn't... :D 

Or repeats what she says 3 times, just using different words. She never really says anything!

Are we allowed to say she’s bloody awful or can we only say that about middle aged white men? I lose track tbh 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Are we allowed to say she’s bloody awful or can we only say that about middle aged white men? I lose track tbh 

We're probably not allowed to say that...! But I just judge people by what they come out with, nothing else. And she chats an absolute load of waffle whenever she opens her mouth.

So does Merson tbf.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chez said:

Juve's season ends on 26th May. That's 16 weeks, not six months. Dividing the €3.9m fee by 16 is €240k a week. Unless you think we are paying him that, then we are making a tidy profit. Even if it was 6 months (24 weeks), that would still be €162k a week. We are not paying him that either.

There is also a potential €1.9m extra for Juve to pay, which you would assume is if he plays some games and they win the league. Maybe that happens, maybe it doesn't.

All that player and squad unsettling to grind out a mil - perhaps?

My point is that anyone getting too excited the player development, the loan fee and a ridiculous option price are perhaps missing that this is also professional exercise in bigging up Charlie’s transfer value - and he does not even need to be a star out there to do it. Just being signed by Juve has increased his value without him touching a ball. 

20 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Glad I'm not the only one to think she's poor (and sounds like she's been inhaling helium). I had to use Twitter to find out who she was. Absolutely nothing wrong with women in football and I support it but just as you can have bad male analysts (and Sky have a few) you can also have bad female analysts.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

She’s bloody awful, there you go, said it for you.

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

But sky are fighting “the patriarchy” so obviously she deserves to be there, despite how horrific she is at her job 

• Haha 1