Saints 5-3 Huddersfield - Match Thread

goodymatt

3 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Their third goal really was terrible goalkeeping from Bazunu.

Just now, Give it to Ron said:

Not sure that’s fair it was a looping deflection off Smallbone just unlucky to wrong foot him

Every goal we concede is Baz's fault.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

That was the lobbed deflection yeah ? what is he meant to have inspector gadget arms ?

I defend Bazunu on here most weeks but he had plenty of time to re-adjust and deal with that. Just seemed to go in very easily. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Harry_SFC said:

I defend Bazunu on here most weeks but he had plenty of time to re-adjust and deal with that. Just seemed to go in very easily. 

think he just got disorientated trying to back pedal. these things happen 

the first was terrible keeping though - low down to his left again 

fantastic game

20 minutes ago, saintquin said:

Wonder if 3 subs scoring 4 second half goals another record?

Even at 0-2 I always thought we could get something from the game!

I was wondering the same. Every assist and goal game from a sub.

8 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

It really wasn’t. It was an absolute fluke which took a massive deflection. To be in a position to save that he’d have had to have left his near post wide open. The first goal was hardly a howler either. Struck hard and unchallenged, with a defender partially blocking his view. He should have done better with it but that won’t be on a Xmas stocking DVD any time soon.

Last week Rotherham’s keeper did much worse with our first goal and everyone talks as if he’s Lev Yashin.

• Like 10

Mad game, Hudds outplayed us first half. Baz should do better for the first. Great impact by Rothwell and Brooks, Mara has gained confidence from the cup games and taken that into the league. Very rare that you see 4 second half goals for one team all scored by subs!

Hope Flynn ok, been immense for this run. Ashton Gate tricky trip Tuesday night with WBA Friday night but we have the squad depth to rotate and still be very competitive.

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

For both goals he was in position not nowhere to be seen. 
To be clear am not a fan of his but he was nowhere near as bad as the forums scape goats think.

Cool - thanks for the correction. Oh and by the way I’m not a forum scape goat all thought I do get things wrong occasionally. 

That is a statement win. No where near our best yet came out on top. Hopefully we will look back on this game come the end of the season as being vital! 

The never give up attitude from this team is the best I’ve seen from a Saints side. 

credit to Huddersfield they were excellent. 

• Like 5

Just back - that was all a bit mental, but ultimately a very satisfying win showing a lot of character. We’ve been used to watching a fragile group crumble at every sign of struggle for so long I’d forgotten what it looks like. To come back from 2 down, and then again 3-2 was exceptional.

Without reliving the whole insane 119 minutes …

There were boos at a half-time, not many but definitely some and definitely venting at a perceived poor performance (and not the ref). Inexcusable imho. Literally our best ever run, they’ve earned the right to be cut a bit of slack.

Huddersfield were excellent - great game plan which they stuck to, great mentality for a side near the bottom. Kudos to them, although their injury feigning - especially the gk - were really poor even by modern standards. Almost as bad as Mannings dive.

Until Downes’ injury i thought it was pretty even. I thought replacing him with Rothwell instead of Charles was dumb and from then on we totally lost the midfield. Most worrying was that it was a repeat of the mistake from earlier in the season - if you have two attacking full-backs you need at least one, preferably two sitting midfielders. No Bree so no choice on full-backs, we therefore needed Charles, not an attacking midfielder.  Smallbone can sit deep but he’s not an anchor and with Huddersfields physicality we needed a presence, They destroyed us for the rest of that half. Martin’s first major error in a few months imho.

Of course, massive irony in that it was Rothwell who scored the quick brace including a genuinely sensational strike, plus a top-quality assist from Brooks for the second.

Too many anonymous performances today, especially 1st half. Adams, both Armstrongs in particular.  Also too many dumb/casual concession free kicks and corners early on. Put us under needless pressure.
I’m not going to  blame the cbs or gk for anything today, our absent midfield left them far too many runners to deal with. Indeed I thought Gavin had another good game with a couple of very well judged “sweeper” moments.

Subs all made an impact. Not sure Kamaldeen has a football brain but he’s definitely exciting. Mara for me has jumped ahead of Che in the pecking order.

Mostly I was impressed though with the spirit and character. 12 months ago you couldn’t have even dreamed of a comeback like that.

Obvious concern is how long Downes is out for, and if it’s a while how we cover him. Don’t let the comeback hide the fact that we totally lost the midfield today, even in that mental second half. Aribo coming back will help ..  but we will either need Charles or Bree (when fit) to add some defensive balance. Playing 7/8 forwards didn’t work in September, didn’t work today (despite the result) and won’t work in the future.

Well done to everyone today (except the morons who booed). Now the euphoria is receding I feel increasingly like we got away with one today. It’s a brilliant indicator of our spirit and mentality and yet another unbeaten game; just a niggling feeling that we need to learn from todays errors.

• Like 22

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Why is it wrong to boo? Huddersfield were great but we were also poor and not up to the standards we are capable of. The players responded second half and gave us something to cheer. 

Because we were 24 games unbeaten, the way they’ve played we should be getting behind them, not booing them, it’s not the shower of last season, stop trying to be contrary. 

• Like 22

42 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Seriously?

First goal, I give you - awful, should never get past him.

How can anyone put the third goal on him though, I mean what on earth is he supposed to be - super human? Incredibly ridiculous to put that goal on him.

• Like 1

(Sorry if this was covered earlier in the thread)

What's the verdict on our penalty claims? Anyone seen replays?

Handball in their area first half?

Did Adam Armstrong dive?

Did the ref play advantage when their defender handled the ball on the ground before we scored.... or just not see it?

On 07/02/2024 at 07:22, Wade Garrett said:

This will be another team of Northern wankers put to the sword.  Routine 5-0, fuck knows who gets the goals, fuck knows who starts with everyone fit and in form.

Those Ee-Bah-Gum shitcunts will wish they stayed home looking after their whippets.  Fuck off back to your desolate shitholes.

Golden brown, texture like sun
Lays me down, with my mind she runs
Throughout the night
No need to fight
Never a frown with golden brown

Yeah the booing at Half Time was ridiculous, so were the ''Fuck off out of my club Martin'' shouts from an out of touch old fart in front of me. He said the same at the 1-1 against Rotherham too.

The booing makes us sound like a bunch of entitled pricks. We're Southampton fans enjoying a once in a lifetime run of form, it's not going to happen every year because we're Southampton. These players have built up an enormous amount of credit for me and to boo them at HT was a poor show, and so were the comments from fans around me.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 26

A few nerdy questions:

1. When, if ever, have Saints scored 5 goals in the 2nd half? (Sunderland 8-0?)

2. When, if ever, have 4 goals been scored by Saints substitutes?

3. When was the last time Saints came from behind twice to win?

Edited by SaintBobby

4 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

A few nerdy questions:

1. When, if ever, have Saints scored 5 goals in the 2nd half?

2. When, if ever, have 4 goals been scored by Saints substitutes?

3. When was the last time Saints came from behind twice to win?

I’m pretty sure that Sunderland game was only 3-0 at HT.

Spurs away under Ralph, when we won 3-2.

7 minutes ago, Appy said:

Because we were 24 games unbeaten, the way they’ve played we should be getting behind them, not booing them, it’s not the shower of last season, stop trying to be contrary. 

I don't really care what we do as long as we win. Maybe the booing helped give them the kick up the arse needed for the second half performance. Certainly Martin gave them a metaphorical boo with his half time team talk. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

(Sorry if this was covered earlier in the thread)

What's the verdict on our penalty claims? Anyone seen replays?

Handball in their area first half?

Did Adam Armstrong dive?

Did the ref play advantage when their defender handled the ball on the ground before we scored.... or just not see it?

The one in the first half was down our end so could see it quite clearly. It probably should have been given.

No idea about Manning because it was up the other end but the consensus seems to be a poor effort at a dive.

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah the booing at Half Time was ridiculous, so were the ''Fuck off out of my club Martin'' shouts from an out of touch old fart in front of me. He said the same at the 1-1 against Rotherham too.

The booing makes us sound like a bunch of entitled pricks. We're Southampton fans enjoying a once in a lifetime run of form, it's not going to happen every year because we're Southampton. These players have built up an enormous amount of credit for me and to boo them at HT was a poor show, and so were the comments from fans around me.

The comment is ridiculous if true, but loads of fans at the football are brain dead mongs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bpsaint said:

Fingers crossed for an MK Dons-esque comeback. Get Manning off at Half Time, he really is shit. Think Huddersfield know it too 

Funny reading the thread and seeing just how many of us drew on the memory of the MK Dons comeback for hope at half time. Mental that it’s been 13 years, can still remember the celebrations like it was yesterday. Today will be one of those that live long in the memory too. The noise and celebrations once we finally took the lead were class.

Huddersfield defied their league position with that performance, although the strength of our bench turned it around once they started to tire. Really starting to believe now, if we can just win our game in hand and earn ourselves a buffer in case we slip up we’re almost there.

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

He has played well this year but you can also see why he flopped in the prem. He misses so many chances. 

He's scored a lot this season and far out performed most expectations but could so easily have 5-7 more goals.

The training ground corner in the first half was also worked well until he ballooned the shot into the back row of the Northam.

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

The comment is ridiculous if true, but loads of fans at the football are brain dead mongs. 

It didn't surprise me really, he's had it in for Martin all season like he's nicked his wife or something. Every sub he makes is the wrong sub, even against Swansea when we won 5-0 it was the wrong subs and he was ripping into him at 2-0.

I wish he'd piss off if I'm honest, surprised no one has sparked him yet. The crew around him all agree with him like some sort of weird-cult as well.

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

He's scored a lot this season and far out performed most expectations but could so easily have 5-7 more goals.

The training ground corner in the first half was also worked well until he ballooned the shot into the back row of the Northam.

The last time I looked at the stats he was up there for big chances missed this season.

Although Haaland also misses a lot of big chances! (I'm not directly comparing them, obviously) 

Edited by Harry_SFC

Just now, S-Clarke said:

It didn't surprise me really, he's had it in for Martin all season like he's nicked his wife or something. Every sub he makes is the wrong sub, even against Swansea when we won 5-0 it was the wrong subs and he was ripping into him at 2-0.

I wish he'd piss off if I'm honest, surprised no one has sparked him yet. The crew around him all agree with him like some sort of weird-cult as well.

Do you sit around Block 36? There's a guy near there I hear shouting absolutely horseshit at times. Pretty sure it was him who was shouting "get it forward" about 3 minutes into the first home game of the season.

Heard someone at half time shouting at Martin to fuck off. Probably him too.

Worth saying, Huddersfield were very good. 17 shots, I think the stats say?

But they basically kept 3 men up front throughout, which is utter balls of steel. And it nearly got them a result. They were the better team in the first half too.

Met a decent Hudders fan at the bar afterwards who was very gracious (“I expected you lot to score about 5, but never dreamed we would score 3 here, so I’ll take it!”)

Haven’t really followed their manager/caretaker situation, but tactically they were excellent. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Do you sit around Block 36? There's a guy near there I hear shouting absolutely horseshit at times. Pretty sure it was him who was shouting "get it forward" about 3 minutes into the first home game of the season.

Heard someone at half time shouting at Martin to fuck off. Probably him too.

Block 34 myself, there are probably a couple of old farts dotted around! Some of it is because they set their stall out at the start, they didn't want Martin because of x and y etc etc, and they will not be proven wrong no matter how stupid he continues to make them look. Must be a nightmare to live with.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

What a wonderful time to be a Saints fan. Thank you lads for one of the most entertaining afternoons that I've ever enjoyed at a football ground. Buzzing.

We really are developing a fabulous team, the future looks very bright indeed. Well done Russell Martin and his troop of magicians for pulling that rabbit out of a hat..

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 11

Wow, what a game today! First half we were not on our normal level, too many misplaced passes and our rhythm was not quite there. Second half was incredible, all the subs made a big impact:

Rothwell - two wonder goals. The first in particular was world class 😊 a thing of beauty. 

Brooks - class when he came on and got two assists. A level above 😊

Mara - is developing nicely all the time. His impact today was so good 😊 Strong and quick. A smart finish and assist for Edozie.

Edozie - great impact today and a nice finish for his goal 😊

Sulemana - so exciting to watch 😊 

All in all a great afternoon and character from us to come back and win comfortably 😊 the unbeaten run continues! Get in - COYR 😊

Hoping Downes injury isn't serious, he such a class player and a vital part of the side.

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 5