Saints 1-1 Boro - Match Thread

goodymatt

Ah. Sule got the ball stuck under his feet. Good run from him.

Sule is playing/ being asked to play a very different role to AA. Sule isn;t racing back to tackle. He's not as good in a passing build up. But he has been mobile. He has taken up those poistions to turn on the pace. And he's looking to pin 'Boro back.

• Like 1

Even when we are on top we always seem to find a way to hand the opponent hope on a plate, borough still looks dangerous on the break next goal decisive! 

Sod off ref

that’s twice the referee has thwarted Saints players about to go through on goal by awarding fouls to Borough or ignoring a foul on the Saints player

Edited by adrian lord

Well balanced team this time and it shows.

Smallbone AND Downes in the middle. Actual wide players in the winger positions, and a proper CF up front... And ofc... Bree in for manning - so much more solid!!!! We look so much better with a sensible team.

Find myself dreading the second half subs again however, no doubt we'll take off one central or central defensive midfielder for a CAM as a minimum. Because why would we try and keep the ball and be solid in central midfield?

Edited by Saint86

Weird half. Good start but just kind of petered out.

Winning so can't complain, but neither keeper has made a save I think. I'd like to see Fraser come on and show Sulemana what it means to have a good final ball.

Boros best form of attack is to let Bree race forward and then play it in to acres of space behind him. 

• Like 1

Salutations fellow mortals. Let me guess: I take it we scored early and are sitting on it, assumingly with lots of passing and possession, with the opposition attacking us on the counter and not much being shown by us in attack...

• Like 2

For a lot of that half we looked like we were going through the motions against an inferior team, but being one nil up isn't enough when we have so many mistakes in us.

Sule has to do a lot better - there have been a lot of players described as having "no end product" on here, but he's got to be the very definition of that expression - I just don't see why he seems to automatically start if he's fit? Presumably Russ sees something I don't?

• Like 2

Just now, StrangelyBrown said:

For a lot of that half we looked like we were going through the motions against an inferior team, but being one nil up isn't enough when we have so many mistakes in us.

Sule has to do a lot better - there have been a lot of players described as having "no end product" on here, but he's got to be the very definition of that expression - I just don't see why he seems to automatically start if he's fit? Presumably Russ sees something I don't?

I would say it was a 'shop window' kind of consideration, but I think playing him is now actually plummeting his value. Looks about the same level as Amo-Ameyaw to my eye.

• Like 1

Started the half with lots of intensity but it's dropped away as usual and now 'Boro can sense at least a point. Need to step it up again and be more careful with the passing.

67% Possession in a half we dominated again.

There were times where the game stretched. Saints looked fairly comfortable dealing with it, as did their defence.

We’ve not created as many chances as we’d like.

Following good work from KWP and Supe we got an excellent AA finish. But we didn’t look as though we were moving quickly enough in the final third to get a second. We lacked the passing fluidity we’ve seen previously, and were a little more direct. That’s partly as we’re trying to use Sule as an outlet on one flank. He was involved, with varying outcomes. With that short passing game, not something that Sule’s best at, we’ve looked a little disjointed on occasion. But no reason why we shouldn’t have a bit more to offer in that last third.

As we looked to create something, they managed to hit the post. We’d lost possession a couple of times. ‘Borro closed down a few of the angels we automatically pass to. That put some pressure on the next defensive line. When we lost a couple there, they got a bit more room to create.

I think we were even more cautious after that. Looking to not get caught out. It’s that link from our midfield to our attackers where we need to improve today. We’ve got a ridiculously strong bench. Another 20 minutes of Sule tiring out their back line and we can bring Fraser/ Brooks on.

I'd feel a lot easier if Fraser replaced Sulemana. He's a more direct, offensive threat, but the main point is that he's far more aware of his defensive responsibilities. Bree's flank needs Fraser there, not Sulemana.

• Like 1

KWP, AA and Will linking up. There's not been much of that at all today, which is a shame considering how well it works. Ball is passed across. Stu's shot didn;t bother anyone. Perhaps one thave aanother go at if Rothwell comes on. Stu's been good at that range before though.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 1-1 Boro - Friday 3pm
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Boro - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic