Saints 1-1 Boro - Match Thread

goodymatt

12 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

9 of today’s starting lineup were existing Saints players from last season, albeit a couple were out on loan. The team today was enhanced by a decent signing from the Premier League in Flynn Downes, and THB who is proven quality at this level who was signed once Stephens was crocked. It’s almost the opposite of starting from scratch.

But in terms of actually playing as a coherent team, they were. The second half of last season was completely rudderless, we went into every game without a clue of how to achieve anything. Mostly Selles just set us up to only lose 2-0. Leeds and Leicester were at least in a bit of a fight to try and stay up. They’ve both got good managers and are playing well but we’ve closed the gap to them, relatively speaking. Plus we’ve lost Lavia and JWP, who were 2/3 of the players to come out of last season with even a glimmer of credibility.

16 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

To be honest you could hear the crowd distracted by something and it was doing my head in watching the stream, not a single chant in support of the team for about 15 minutes as that "hilarity" ensued and I'm sure it distracted the players as they wondered what the fuck was going on, especially with the timing of the "don't know what you're doing" chants as Mara was subbed on. 

In the ground it was clearly aimed at stewards not manager or team !

32 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Sorry, but I can't see us winning through the playoffs. I would love to be proved wrong but don't think this squad is mentally tough enough nor the manager tactically astute enough.

A lot of people say this but however you try and spin it we are comfortably ahead of 5th in the table for a reason. It’s not as if the likes of WBA and Coventry have do or die, death or glory players, who never make mistakes under pressure and always grind out results in tough games. Ultimately they’re a lottery, although more often than not the better teams in third or fourth do triumph.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

A lot of people say this but however you try and spin it we are comfortably ahead of 5th in the table for a reason. It’s not as if the likes of WBA and Coventry have do or die, death or glory players, who never make mistakes under pressure and always grind out results in tough games. Ultimately they’re a lottery, although more often than not the better teams in third or fourth do triumph.

Which one of Leeds, Leicester, or Ipswich would you want us to play assuming we get to the playoff final ?

Trying to be as calm and balanced as I can after that incredibly predictable concession of a late goal to lose two invaluable points that will probably cost us promotion. It will take a miracle now to get into the top two and like many on here I don't rate our chances in the playoffs.

i ask myself what would I have done differently if I was manager. I wondered why Bednarak wasn't playing, then the commentator kindly explained the 9 yellow cards and fear of suspension - so I forgive RM that. Jack Stephens actually played really well. Smallbone, not a fan. I would have put Aribo or even Rothwell in ahead of him, or some other combo to leave him out. Piss poor passing, no finish, no fight or grit in midfield. Bree in - yes - and he played well. Adam Armstrong played well. Che Adams through the middle to start, fair enough - honestly, we all know Che is a terrible finisher if it involves engaging his brain - even I could have scored that chance from 7 yards. At some point the blame needs to lay squarely on the player's shoulder for not capitalising on chances created. 

Surprisingly, I would have kept Che on even though he was having a nightmare...it was just one of those games where you felt he was going to redeem himself at the death with a goal. Mara did nothing to suggest he should have been picked ahead of Adams, although he didn't have much time to prove himself.

The mistake was in not buying a proper finisher in January after Ross Stewart was ruled out for the season. Ipswich invested in Moore...wassisname the Brazilian striker from Liverpool went to Hull instead of us - why? 

Bazunu is a consistent calamity. He gives me no confidence in goal. We were lucky not to concede earlier after a fluffed easy catch. No doubt he will blossom when he leaves us!

I can see the logic behind starting with Sulemana...and he made our goal. But I'd have started with Brooks...maybe he was resting him after the international game? Whatever...Brooks was not effective as a sub. 

THB and Downes are class. Shame they're not ours and we won't be able to keep them if we don't get promoted this season. KWP is always good going forward, always vulnerable defending deep at the back post. 

My big gripe with RM is his tactics are way too predictable...too easy to manage against...he doesn't mix up Russball with enough direct long-ball, incisive passing. But today, oddly enough I didn't feel that - thought we were sending long diagonals and passes over the top.

Bottom line...we should have won comfortably (again) but didn't because we didn't finish the multiple excellent chances we created. 

At 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go, the commentator said this was Middlesborough's season on the line - if they took nothing from the game their chances of a playoff position were effectively over. What he should have said was it was Saints season on the line to not concede. That goal, I fear has cost us automatic promotion and therefore promotion.

If all the results go our way later and we beat Ipswich on Monday, I'd be happy to eat my words. I haven't completely given up hope of an automatic promotion - but today's result makes it highly improbable.

Maybe we will win all our remaining games...🤭

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Which one of Leeds, Leicester, or Ipswich would you want us to play assuming we get to the playoff final ?

You never know, we could finish 4th or even 5th and events could conspire that we needn’t play any of them. Very unlikely but still possible. Seen it happen before where an automatic chasing team finish third then spin out in the playoffs.

21 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

To do what ?

Keep us in the championship, with one of the best squads whilst conceding sooo many goals as the prick hasn't a clue how to set up a hard to break down side similar to his mk dons and Swansea days, we were warned by Swansea fans  and its playing out exactly as they said it would

• Like 5

Plenty of chances to win the game ....but lets be honest if everyone played the same boring robotic football as Saints and Boro we would all fall asleep !  Aribo should be starting as Smallbone really offers nowt !

20 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't really buy that, Fraser had a clear chance - should have scored, Armstrong had two efforts he needed a cleaner hit on - no idea how they both stayed out.

Adams, I mean what can you say. You just have to score of those if you're a professional level player, 1 if you're having a bad day - but to miss both I just can't quite fathom. None of that is because of the style or patterns of play or tactics, we just never sorted out a proper number 9.

The way we played enabled those opportunities for Adams, but he's just shit.

This is it in a nutshell.

It speaks volumes when social media is discussing which has been Che's worse ever miss. I still remember being at the Wolves game when somehow he missed when he was one inch off the line and handballed the bloody thing, but this really is and has been our main problem. Even today, in addition to the misses, the ball was floated in to the six yard box a couple of times begging for someone to head it in but no-one was there.

3 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Keep us in the championship, with one of the best squads whilst conceding sooo many goals as the prick hasn't a clue how to set up a hard to break down side similar to his mk dons and Swansea days, we were warned by Swansea fans  and its playing out exactly as they said it would

How to beat Saints keep switching the play as the bloke in front of KWP had the freedom of the park all game. You cannot give wide men that much space!

The goal came about because KWP had two players to mark as Brooks was stood on half way and didn’t mark either.

Martin should have replaced Stu and Smallbone with 15-20 to go and leaving Aribo on bench that long ridiculous when we needed someone to hold onto the ball.

• Like 6

After the first half hour we were completely on top, and it was obvious it would take an individual error or switch off for us not to win. Also obvious after half an hour that this is what was likely to happen. Ref missed three or four clear handballs and the finishing genuinely atrocious, Lambert down from hospitality even with the extra timber and aqua fetish would have got a hatrick. I was hoping for Fraser and Rothwell at half time for Adams and Sulemana (thick as mince) as they can actually finish. Good to see the 1885 effect and fan unity when those lads got hooked, and well done for chrissy Nicholl at 77 mins. It’s playoffs for us lads, having limply drawn our first ‘cup final’. 

• Like 3

I’m surprisingly not as bothered as I thought I would be, I got marginally excited when Leicester lost, but when that equaliser went in for me it just confirmed what I’ve felt for a long time - we are the 4th best team so play offs.

in an odd way, I wouldn’t be bothered if Ipswich beat us - that would put hope of the autos out early and we could mentally adjust to winning the play offs and hopefully play with a bit more freedom. 
what is also telling is deep down I don’t really want to go up, but we have to given our perilous finances and for momentum. This team and manager would get absolutely hammered in the Prem. Also next season we’ll only be an above average Championship side if we don’t.

I’ve had a funny feeling about Norwich for over a month now - I think they’ll beat Ipswich, we’ll beat WBA, and they’ll beat us in the final.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Osvaldorama said:

Che adams’ fault. 

Can’t be a professional footballer and miss chances like those. Genuinely fucking pathetic. 

And he thinks he's too good for us 😂

Edited by Dragon_man

34 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

But in terms of actually playing as a coherent team, they were. The second half of last season was completely rudderless, we went into every game without a clue of how to achieve anything. Mostly Selles just set us up to only lose 2-0. Leeds and Leicester were at least in a bit of a fight to try and stay up. They’ve both got good managers and are playing well but we’ve closed the gap to them, relatively speaking. Plus we’ve lost Lavia and JWP, who were 2/3 of the players to come out of last season with even a glimmer of credibility.

Agree to disagree. IMO there’s plenty of evidence that a significant number of the players Martin inherited are perfectly good enough with a bit of decent guidance. The likes of KWP, Bednarek, SArmstrong, proved over numerous seasons that they were good enough for a lower / mid range Premier league team. Bree was nabbed from a championship side that got promoted, Stephens had credit in the bank from his spell at a Bournemouth, Smallbone the same with Stoke. Sulemana, well not sure what he’s about but two goals against Liverpool suggest he’s got a little bit of something. Adam Armstrong got nearly 30 goals at this level the last time he played it, and Aribo while completely lost in the Premier league clearly had something to him. Add in the potential of Edozie too.

Then we added genuine quality in Downes and THB. If anything I think Russell Martin had a running start with the squad he inherited, and was allowed a generous budget for incomings too.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 4

Just now, The Kraken said:

Agree to disagree. IMO there’s plenty of evidence that a significant number of the players Martin inherited are perfectly good enough with a decent bit of decent guidance. The likes of KWP, Bednarek, SArmstrong, Adams proved over numerous seasons that they were good enough for a lower / mid range Premier league team. Bree was nabbed from a championship side that got promoted, Stephens had credit in the bank from his spell at a Bournemouth, Smallbone the same with Stoke. Sulemana, well not sure what he’s about but two goals against Liverpool suggest he’s got a little bit of something. Adam Armstrong got nearly 30 goals at this level the last time he played it, and Aribo while completely lost in the Premier league clearly had something to him. Add in the potential of Edozie too.

Then we added genuine quality in Downes and THB. If anything I think Russell Martin had a running start with the squad he inherited, and was allowed a generous budget for incomings too.

And we wasted that budget on the likes of Ross Stewart an already injured signing and a huge fee on sulemana who's yet to deliver anything

• Like 3

On 04/11/2023 at 16:49, madge said:

Toothless……not good enough

1 hour ago, St Louis said:

If Che Adams could finish, we would have been 2 or 3-0 up and cruising 😠
I'm not convinced he could even finish his dinner!

I’m not sure he could even finish himself off……

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

And we wasted that budget on the likes of Ross Stewart an already injured signing and a huge fee on sulemana who's yet to deliver anything

None of our actual transfers in look very good and can’t make the team / squad. Manning, Charles, Stewart, minimal positive impact. The loans have been much, much better though, Holgate aside they’ve all been positive imo.

• Like 1

Do we still have time to try and talk Che Adams into signing an improved new contract to match a host of Premier League offers, or do we think he's already agreed to lead the line next season for Wolves or Everton?

The best striker there today was Ricky, and the best finish was from a bloke in a shark outfit who had fins as bollocks and was shuffling about like he'd shat himself.

Stewarding test,  Situation One.

Men are making a noise on a hoarding, do you -

A. Ignore it.

B. Have a word.

C. Call in an armed response team.

D. Launch an airstrike on their home and execute all survivors. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Too much ball not enough cock is the story of our season. Boring boring Southampton.

It's really hard to warm to Martin and his walking football, clearly we've not done enough for the top two and will rely on the lottery of the play offs that is looking like Leicester will be one of the four, 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Not much to say on the match itself, not a great performance but had enough chances to win it. We were never comfortable though and desperately needed that second goal. Auto's are gone now, very frustrating.

As for the stewards in the Northam/Kingsland corner and especially that ginger woman, you're a fucking disgrace. Same goes for the useless cops who seemingly have nothing better to do than boot out a couple of harmless loyal fans. Pathetic cowards the lot of you, shame on the club.

Totally agree. 

Just as the game is about to start the stadium announcer encourages the fans to get right behind the boys today. 

Then we reward two fantastic passionate fans who at that time were really galvanising the crowd and you felt the team were being lifted. 

Then it all changed and the Northam focused their anger at these hapless jobsworths and the atmosphere completely changed. 

We blew it today because of Che missing two easy chances and a couple of Stewards.. Fucking mental. 

10 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Agree to disagree. IMO there’s plenty of evidence that a significant number of the players Martin inherited are perfectly good enough with a bit of decent guidance. The likes of KWP, Bednarek, SArmstrong, proved over numerous seasons that they were good enough for a lower / mid range Premier league team. Bree was nabbed from a championship side that got promoted, Stephens had credit in the bank from his spell at a Bournemouth, Smallbone the same with Stoke. Sulemana, well not sure what he’s about but two goals against Liverpool suggest he’s got a little bit of something. Adam Armstrong got nearly 30 goals at this level the last time he played it, and Aribo while completely lost in the Premier league clearly had something to him. Add in the potential of Edozie too.

I think you’re overrating a lot of those players. KWP, yep no arguments but the rest are not PL players.

• Bednarek - Consistently looked a weak link, every year he played under Ralph. I’ve never thought he looked comfortable at that level and neither did Villa.
  • Stephens - Again, only ever a weak link in a team likely to be fighting PL relegation.
  • Smallbone - Crap at PL level. Looked decent enough without being special at mid-table, Championship Stoke.
  • Sully - Sh*te. Danny N’Guessan in a posh frock. Has done absolutely nothing at either level outside of two goals in a dead rubber against Liverpool.
  • Edozie - Raw potential and inconsistent at this level, did nothing last year.
  • Bree - Decent but he’s competing with by far our best player in his natural playing spot.
  • Stu - Not been anywhere near decent at PL level since he caught Covid. Seems to have re-settled into some form a level down.
  • Aribo - Lazy and useless for all of last season. Looks quality down here in patches but can’t even nail down a starting spot.
  • AA - Yep, fair enough his tenacity will always bag him a decent goal haul against Championship defences. He is somewhat sporadic and reliant on defensive mistakes.

Ultimately, if you told me right now we’re definitely getting promoted, KWP, THB and Downes are literally the only three players I’d want in the team next year.

• Like 4

Just now, The Kraken said:

None of our actual transfers in look very good and can’t make the team / squad. Manning, Charles, Stewart, minimal positive impact. The loans have been much, much better though, Holgate aside they’ve all been positive imo.

Agreed, how bad is your recruitment when the loans are better than your actual signings 

Just now, Lighthouse said:

I think you’re overrating a lot of those players. KWP, yep no arguments but the rest are not PL players.

• Bednarek - Consistently looked a weak link, every year he played under Ralph. I’ve never thought he looked comfortable at that level and neither did Villa.
  • Stephens - Again, only ever a weak link in a team likely to be fighting PL relegation.
  • Smallbone - Crap at PL level. Looked decent enough without being special at mid-table, Championship Stoke.
  • Sully - Sh*te. Danny N’Guessan in a posh frock. Has done absolutely nothing at either level outside of two goals in a dead rubber against Liverpool.
  • Bree - Decent but he’s competing with by far our best player in his natural playing spot.
  • Stu - Not been anywhere near decent at PL level since he caught Covid. Seems to have re-settled into some form a level down.
  • Aribo - Lazy and useless for all of last season. Looks quality down here in patches but can’t even nail down a starting spot.
  • AA - Yep, fair enough his tenacity will always bag him a decent goal haul against Championship defences. He is somewhat sporadic and reliant on defensive mistakes.

Ultimately, if you told me right now we’re definitely getting promoted, KWP, THB and Downes are literally the only three players I’d want in the team next year.

Fraser and brooks if they were ours? 

Theres such a massive between 15th or 16th in the Prem and the top of the championship that it’s a ridiculous comparison. If you can do it over multiple seasons in the PL you’re likely to be a very good standard of player at championship level. So, whether we’d want players next season if we got promoted is entirely irrelevant. Everyone knows that this squad’s job is to get promoted and,if they do, there would need to be multiple player additions to stay up. So I don’t follow the logic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Agreed, how bad is your recruitment when the loans are better than your actual signings 

Tbf I think at least some of the more successfully promoted championship sides of recent years have been ones that have worked the loan system to their benefit. But certainly our spending of, what £25M last summer? has provided a completely minimal impact in terms of VFM.

What I can't work out is why we played at such a pedestrian pace. When we play high tempo fast Russ ball we tear teams apart for fun, but it just was too slow today.

Poor finishing aside, Middlesbrough were there for the taking, but we seemed to be scared to really go after the second goal. This must be something the team are under instruction to do - be patient and trust the process (which has dropped us points again and again and again). Russ needs to be braver but sadly nothing he did really changed the tempo or added any extra cutting edge and so in my view the 2 points dropped are squarely on him.

I'm dying to know what the Russ evangelists think because I can't see how he isn't at fault?

Edited by StrangelyBrown
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Why don't we stop crosses coming in? Seriously, it looks like it's coached into them to back off. 

So true, which is why Martin saying he was disappointed we didn't stop the cross coming in was bizarre - we haven't closed down crosses all season.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Fraser and brooks if they were ours? 

Fraser definitely, that’s a fair point. Brooks I want to say yes but I’d like to see a bit more consistency. There were games like Millwall where he was nonexistent.

4 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Theres such a massive between 15th or 16th in the Prem and the top of the championship that it’s a ridiculous comparison. If you can do it over multiple seasons in the PL you’re likely to be a very good standard of player at championship level. So, whether we’d want players next season if we got promoted is entirely irrelevant. Everyone knows that this squad’s job is to get promoted and,if they do, there would need to be multiple player additions to stay up. So I don’t follow the logic.

Mason Holgate has 126 PL apps for Everton (and 1 rather hilarious app for Sheff Utd), I can’t say that’s a particularly accurate barometer. Ultimately I think Bednarek, Stephens and most of the others mentioned are decent Championship player, nothing more. That’s my reasoning for my initial assertion that the playoffs are the bare minimum, rather than top two. If we come 4th with a points total that would have beaten the Blades last season then so be it. Not great, not terrible.

We should've won; we didn't, disappointing but not a catastrophe.

There will be plenty more twists and turns to come, how many times this season have we come back right at the death? 

The way I see it, that game was Birmingham equalising to make it 3-3. The next 9 games will be that Aribo moment...

• Confused 1

Fraser definitely, that’s a fair point. Brooks I want to say yes but I’d like to see a bit more consistency. There were games like Millwall where he was nonexistent.

Mason Holgate has 126 PL apps for Everton (and 1 rather hilarious app for Sheff Utd), I can’t say that’s a particularly accurate barometer. Ultimately I think Bednarek, Stephens and most of the others mentioned are decent Championship player, nothing more. That’s my reasoning for my initial assertion that the playoffs are the bare minimum, rather than top two. If we come 4th with a points total that would have beaten the Blades last season then so be it. Not great, not terrible.

Like I said, agree to disagree. I think a start point of Bednarek, KWP, Bree, AArm, SArm, even Che should be a massive leg up at this level. Add in THB who effectively got promoted and Flynn Downes who I think we both agree is PL quality, that’s a squad that already looks very decent even without the other quality additions that were made. I stand by my original dissent to your point that we had a standing start, I genuinely can’t agree to that at all.

And Mason Holgate shouldn’t be used as a barometer for anything other than being the exception to the rule; he won Everton’s player of the season in the PL not so long ago! How on earth….

Just got back home. A game that sums up our side. Lots of nice football, we dominate for periods and go flat for periods, we create chances but its pretty easyt o create chances against us.

How the fuck did Che miss that chance? He should have buried the one on one just before that too. Even if you ignore those misses and he was still fucking terrible. What's worse is when he went off, we looked worse.  

A few other things. I think Brooks is quality, but defensively he is a liability. He provides zero cover, doesn't track back or help out.

Defensively, we are shocking. We put absolutely no pressure on the man with the ball at all.  They had so much time to get their heads and and pick out a cross. I'm surprised Boro didn't score more than one.

I am sure Stephens was lauded for preventing the breakaway goal, but the reality was he was at fault in the first place and should has spotted the danger, the forward was then useless allowing him to recover.

Bazunu's handling is shocking. He hasn't improved at all.

There are maybe three players in that side that can play in the Prem. not even sure about that.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Oh no Mick Mills said:

Totally agree. 

Just as the game is about to start the stadium announcer encourages the fans to get right behind the boys today. 

Then we reward two fantastic passionate fans who at that time were really galvanising the crowd and you felt the team were being lifted. 

Then it all changed and the Northam focused their anger at these hapless jobsworths and the atmosphere completely changed. 

We blew it today because of Che missing two easy chances and a couple of Stewards.. Fucking mental. 

Flog the stewards to Wolves and stick Che in a hi-vis next season.

46 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Of course the loan players are going to be better, most of the time they are proven PL players that we couldn't have afforded to buy outright anyway - so we've loaned them. THB, Downes, Fraser etc - PL players.

Additionally, have to say the decision to deploy Stephens as the Cornish Franz Beckenbauer is truly the stuff of ripe Stilton cheese nightmares. Think he managed to break up more of our attacks than the entire Boro team. Wonder if Russ will manage Bree, THB, Janny B, KWP again this season, or is that too bleedin’ obvious. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chez said:

Just got back home. A game that sums up our side. Lots of nice football, we dominate for periods and go flat for periods, we create chances but its pretty easyt o create chances against us.

How the fuck did Che miss that chance? He should have buried the one on one just before that too. Even if you ignore those misses and he was still fucking terrible. What's worse is when he went off, we looked worse.  

A few other things. I think Brooks is quality, but defensively he is a liability. He provides zero cover, doesn't track back or help out.

Defensively, we are shocking. We put absolutely no pressure on the man with the ball at all.  They had so much time to get their heads and and pick out a cross. I'm surprised Boro didn't score more than one.

I am sure Stephens was lauded for preventing the breakaway goal, but the reality was he was at fault in the first place and should has spotted the danger, the forward was then useless allowing him to recover.

Bazunu's handling is shocking. He hasn't improved at all.

There are maybe three players in that side that can play in the Prem. not even sure about that.

we have lots of possession but concede far too many goals so that tells it’s own story. we are poor without the ball and RM doesn’t appear able to improve that 

4 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Additionally, have to say the decision to deploy Stephens as the Cornish Franz Beckenbauer is truly the stuff of ripe Stilton cheese nightmares. Think he managed to break up more of our attacks than the entire Boro team. Wonder if Russ will manage Bree, THB, Janny B, KWP again this season, or is that too bleedin’ obvious. 

The goals and chances against have certainly flowed with Stephens back in the 11. I've always found him to be a decent last ditch defender, but the fact he's always last ditch is probably the most telling thing about his game. 

He recovered from that breakaway today only because their striker's touch was absolutely diabolical. I really think we blinked too soon to give him the captaincy, I think he's third choice CB - Bednarek and THB as the two is where we built our consistency, ever since we've broken that up the goals against have certainly flowed consistently. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

This squad is going to be very different next season.

even if we do or dont go up.........................and the manager? how have we come apart so quickly over the last 6-7 games and some of those not loosing streaks we were lucky .We dont seem able to finish the games off .