Leeds 1-2 Southampton - Match Thread

Dman

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It's a free hit. May as well try something new, see if anything works and throw Leeds off the scent, should we meet them at Wembley.

Whoever we meet in the playoff first leg might also be wondering which formation we would play...

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It's a free hit. May as well try something new, see if anything works and throw Leeds off the scent, should we meet them at Wembley.

Leaves me somewhat confused (easily done admittedly!) ... If the argument for playing a full strength team is to build up some momentum ahead of the playoffs then why play a new formation that we're unlikely to play in the playoffs....? How is that going to build momentum and cohesion? All seems a bit disjointed and mixed-messaging to me...

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Fucking nutter in charge I think you mean 😉

Just now, Saint NL said:

Chat GPT, pick me a team that won't lose by 6 so I can stay in this cushy job next season.

A manager who's just lost three consecutive games is trying something slightly different (5-3-2 is hardly unthinkable) in a match with no league consequences. I genuinely fail to see any problem here.

• Like 4

Just now, Lighthouse said:

A manager who's just lost three consecutive games is trying something slightly different (5-3-2 is hardly unthinkable) in a match with no league consequences. I genuinely fail to see any problem here.

Really? The last game pre play offs is not the time to experiment. The time to switch things up was ages ago when we started struggle giving us time to adapt. The bloke's a liability. 

• Like 4

It could actually be as crazy as HWB or Stephens in midfield with Downes. Aribo and Smallbone kind of inside left and right. Feck knows, we'll see soon. 

18 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Who is providing the width?

Just now, Billy the Kidd said:

Aribo 

There's a free hit punchline there but I think I'll let someone else take the honours 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Who is providing the width?

Manning and KWP I reckon. Only question for me is whether one of Stephens of HWB are part of a back 3 or sitting ahead of a back 4 both Downes. Whatever, it'll be something different. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, egg said:

Manning and KWP I reckon. Only question for me is whether one of Stephens of HWB are part of a back 3 or sitting ahead of a back 4 both Downes. Whatever, it'll be something different. 

stephens a free role?

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, egg said:

Really? The last game pre play offs is not the time to experiment. The time to switch things up was ages ago when we started struggle giving us time to adapt. The bloke's a liability. 

Okay, so it would be madness to do anything thing other than just play it safe and stick with the strategy that’s lost us the last three games?

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Okay, so it would be madness to do anything thing other than just play it safe and stick with the strategy that’s lost us the last three games?

So what is the line up? Tactics??

15 minutes ago, egg said:

I’ve said a few times this season that I like 3-5-2 and have the players to fit that system. However, like you I don’t think now is the time to start playing it. Maybe he’s a tactical genius that has suddenly found the formula, but I can’t believe for one minute he’ll play this way in the play offs which makes the whole thing pointless.

I hope it’s not an ego thing, I know he thinks he’s Pep lite, & Pep sometimes makes weird selections, but if we do start with a back 3 it seems a bit baffling.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Suhari said:

There appears to be a 'Stewart' on the bench.

What does one of those do?

Jackie used to do motor racing 

Alec used to do cricket 

Ross used to do football 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

Playing Downes is a needless gamble in my view. Hope it doesn’t come back to bite us in the arse. 

He maybe needs some minutes in him after being out for a while, get a bit of sharpness back.

15 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Madness to experiment now, yes. This is the game to get our shit together and gain some momentum imo. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, egg said:

Madness to experiment now, yes. This is the game to get our shit together and gain some momentum imo. 

Especially as it’s taken sooo long to coach the team in the way he wants to play.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Seems that there appears to be no real concencus whether experimenting today is nuts or a free hit, or whether we should be resting players to protect them or playing our best team and getting some confidence back/momentum. 

Whatever, I reckon it'll be 2-2. 

Edited by egg

Can I have a quid for every mention of shoehorn? 😛

Not keen on this line up. Leeds could eat us alive today on the off chance Ipswich slip up.

2 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Commentator just confirmed it's THB at right back and KWP playing further forward.

Can anyone explain the thinking behind this? I'm baffled. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Commentator just confirmed it's THB at right back and KWP playing further forward.

Not sure if left or right.

Commentator won't know. Guessing like everyone else. 

13 minutes ago, Challenger said:

Jackie used to do motor racing 

Alec used to do cricket 

Ross used to do football 

Martha used to do bird for dodgy share trading and now makes brownies with Snoop dog.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

WTF is manning doing in the front three? 

He's not front three, he just leaves so much space behind him that we're playing two men there 😂

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leeds 1-2 Southampton - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic