Leeds 1-2 Southampton - Match Thread

Dman

Some good attacking play some absolutely shocking defensive play.... Sums saints up under Martin, hey we are winning at least for now! 

• Like 1

Well, I may be confused here but I’m under the impression I’ve just watched a decent half of football. We played the way you have to in order to beat Leeds, ran at them, put their defence under pressure and even roughed them up a but towards the end.

So far not a bad plan B, from the manager with no plan B.

Only two downsides really:

1. Manning is only a smelly fart away from being sent off and needs to be subbed.
  2. Possession was 50:50. Absolutely gutted.
  • Like 7

Posted (edited)

We're playing well and Leeds seem tense/rattled. It's like they actually thought they might go up today. Manager seems to be losing it. Moaning about us not getting booked for fouls which are barely even fouls. Weirdos.

Ref seems a bit of a fruitloop. I'd make a few changes to the booked players before we pick up a red card and slump to defeat.

I like the system. Forces us to play to the forwards a bit quicker, suits the way they play and should suit Stewart. It also suits KWP, Smallbone and Manning.

I've seen nothing from Leeds to fear. 

Downes so important though. Get him off soon, along with Manning and Bednarek. I'd like to see Brooks have a go at the Aribo role too.

Edited by benjii
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Well, I may be confused here but I’m under the impression I’ve just watched a decent half of football. We played the way you have to in order to beat Leeds, ran at them, put their defence under pressure and even roughed them up a but towards the end.

Any reason why he didn't work this out several games ago....? ;)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

Some excellent play going forward today. Leeds a superb attacking team so we've done pretty well so far, bar Hardwood-Bellis's "clearance".

Keep it up. Be good to go into the playoffs feeling positive.

I can't believe some of you fuckers would prefer to watch us being spanked week in, week out in the Prem. More games, more fun, better football, more wins - Championship is great. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Only two downsides really:

1. Manning is only a smelly fart away from being sent off and needs to be subbed.
  2. Possession was 50:50. Absolutely gutted.

I think a lot of posters on here have become a parody of themselves - the entitlement is frankly absurd. 

Russ has done a decent job, not outstanding, but fuck me some of the goals we score are amazing. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NewYorkSaint said:

Whatever you say about Martin-ball, when it works, it is bloody beautiful to watch....

Absolutely true! However 90% of the time it doesn't work 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We weren’t playing Leeds several games ago.

Ah, gotcha. And there was me thinking putting the opposition defence under pressure and roughing them up a bit might have worked on other teams too. Silly old me.... ;)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, NewYorkSaint said:

Whatever you say about Martin-ball, when it works, it is bloody beautiful to watch....

Was just thinking that. When it goes well we are great to watch

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

I can't believe some of you fuckers would prefer to watch us being spanked week in, week out in the Prem. More games, more fun, better football, more wins - Championship is great. 

It's the way it is. Better to go up, get all that lovely $$$ and come back down.  Rinse repeat. Staying down increases the chances you stay down, get financially poorer, even drop down another league. 

Edited by OttawaSaint

2 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

So as it stands it's:

Saints vs WBA

Leeds vs Norwich

I'll take that!

If it stays like this we’re unbeaten again all the play off teams. 4 wins 2 draws. Cause for optimism?

Downes continues to be our key player. His early influence got us in control, and excellent box to box.

With Stephens in, and pushing forward at time, Smallbone's role is different. Loads of positives and a goal. Some of it is not where he's most comfortable.

Che very important to. Movement, holding it up, partnership with others and at least one excellent covering tackle when we conceded possession.

Ref's cards for Manning and Gnonto were daft. Others were fouls, and borderline cards. Ref errs on the card side of things. Their diver got away without one.

We gave away the ball clumsily twice for their goal. But even in this system where crisp short passing isn't always going to work, we look organised and are willing to take passes further up to create from. That's what's pinning Leeds back at times. That's from all that work over the season.

All good and we're in front.

So that means little after a Russ teamtalk... 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

If it stays like this we’re unbeaten again all the play off teams. 4 wins 2 draws. Cause for optimism?

Opitmism and Saints usually leads to pain, dispair,  and disillusionment for me. 😆 

Just now, Farmer Saint said:

90%? So for every 90 minutes of play this season, we've been shit for 81 minutes of it?

Not shit but certainly not causing that much of a threat as just passing around in circles, today is the first time we've actually tried to get at a team by attacking play and hey ho we are winning? but the last three games we certainly have been shit! Don't think anyone can deny that 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

So you’re hoping we lose in the play offs? 

Birmingham relegated if results stay the same. Given they’ve got new owners who look like providing them with some decent wedge, that’ll be a big blow. I guess that’s what you get when you sack a manager who has you in the top six, appoint Wayne sodding Rooney as his replacement, and end the season on your fourth manager.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, NewYorkSaint said:

It really is but hey let’s pick out the odd mistake.

6 minutes ago, trousers said:

Ah, gotcha. And there was me thinking putting the opposition defence under pressure and roughing them up a bit might have worked on other teams too. Silly old me.... ;)

You’ve gone from saying it’s silly to try something different in the last game to demanding to know why we didn’t try it several games ago (when we were playing well and winning games).

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Finding that balance of failing at the final hurdle, while making enough money to buy and develop lots of Prem League talent to sell on, is tough.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

You’ve gone from saying it’s silly to try something different in the last game to demanding to know why we didn’t try it several games ago (when we were playing well and winning games).

I obviously didn't know how good it was going to be before the game but now we know it was a stroke of genius I'm wondering why it wasn't tried before now... ;)

Edited by trousers

Elland Road is like every other ground in the country then. Good when they're winning, bad when they're not. Some myths were being spread a few weeks back.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Birmingham relegated if results stay the same. Given they’ve got new owners who look like providing them with some decent wedge, that’ll be a big blow. I guess that’s what you get when you sack a manager who has you in the top six, appoint Wayne sodding Rooney as his replacement, and end the season on your fourth manager.

Bit of bad luck with Mowbray’s illness, but otherwise entirely self-inflicted.

You know how it goes, one of the 2 teams who squeaked into the play offs will flukily find themselves in the Prem.

Gotta hand it to Ipswich, no parachute payment and big hearts. Reckon they will do ok up with the big boys.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leeds 1-2 Southampton - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic