Moving to the USA

Patrick Bateman

Esteemed members of the forum who have moved to the US; and I know there are many of you!

I'm seriously considering upping sticks and moving to Seattle for work. Many reasons, one being that whenever I go there, I find that it's everything that I really look for in a living environment and I love it there.

So, for those who have made the move; how hard was it? What do you miss the most? What don't you miss? What are the main pitfalls etc?

I know for a fact that Washington state has fantastic beers, amazing wines, a great outdoor lifestyle, a lovely city in Seattle, plenty of good fresh food (and sea food) and LOADS of space - so I think those are the major upsides for me.

As well as working in my company HQ rather than a satellite office which would make my job easier.

Any opinions from US-dwellers gratefully received, thank you!

Esteemed members of the forum who have moved to the US; and I know there are many of you!

I'm seriously considering upping sticks and moving to Seattle for work. Many reasons, one being that whenever I go there, I find that it's everything that I really look for in a living environment and I love it there.

So, for those who have made the move; how hard was it? What do you miss the most? What don't you miss? What are the main pitfalls etc?

I know for a fact that Washington state has fantastic beers, amazing wines, a great outdoor lifestyle, a lovely city in Seattle, plenty of good fresh food (and sea food) and LOADS of space - so I think those are the major upsides for me.

As well as working in my company HQ rather than a satellite office which would make my job easier.

Never lived in the US.

BUT if you have the chance to go and live abroad? GO.

You can ALWAYS move back home if it doesn't work out or you don't like it. BUT if you DON'T try it, you may never get the chance again and will end up spending your life wondering.

Take the win:win

And move out slowly. Go with a suitcase put down roots and THEN move everything else.

Go for it! As with any move abroad there are always Pro's and Cons, but if you can overcome the cons, you will enjoy it. I was living in California- Riverside just south of LA. I enjoyed the far cheaper eating out, cinema, fuel, and outdoor pursuits. Did'nt enjoy the house rental prices, electric and gas +20% more than home. Other than that, i wish i never came back. But got recalled from HQ so had to go!! :cry:

On a side note my new employers are thinking of going stateside, if they do i'm going to jump at the chance to go. But this time i will not return!! :D

Edited by SOTONS EAST SIDE

Made the move and never looked back....Only thing i miss from the UK apart from more regular contact with friends and family is going to Saints games...But even that hole is more than filled by the New Orleans Saints :)......The local stores stock Colman's mustard so i'm good to go :)

Word of advice from my own 'great' experience and from observing the 'mistakes' of one or two other expats.....Once you move here, if you intend to make it permanent, then this 'will be' home...Start thinking of it as that and 'go native' as soon as you can.....'Be' an American and embrace the culture of your new home..........The more unsettled expats i see, are generally the ones that have ended up as just whiney Brits living abroad....Never been able to let go...never really tried. Still thinking of the UK as home. Missing this and missing that and "it's not done like that in the UK" etc etc and never really integrating and seem to be forever homesick.

It's not all a bed of roses here that's for sure...you'll probably work harder here than you ever did in the UK, less vacation and there is very little safety net if you hit on hard times....But the Freedom from a dictatorial Nanny State is sooo liberating it's not real...Not sure how it is in Washington but in most States you will regain ownership of your life....especially down here in the deep south ;)

Good luck....i couldn't recommend it enough

Made the move a few years ago, albeit to the East Coast - no regrets, and I was one of those little Englanders who was never going to move abroad. When the chance came, it just seemed right and I'm glad I took the plunge. The most stressful part was getting the green card and dealing with the US Embassy before coming over - nothing major - just hassle and a bit of uncertainty for a few months.

Most things you might miss from the UK you can get here one way or another - you might have to pay 3x the UK cost, but you can get it. FFS - I can stream Radio Solent into my car if I really want to (although Matchday restrictions don't help). Miss being at St Marys - but have been able to watch a lot of live Saints games online/TV this year and next year should be better. The Seattle Sounders are one of the better supported MLS teams from what I gather. Spent a week in Seattle last year and loved it - but we had decent weather - and by all accounts it rains a helluva lot.

Would echo what St George said above about embracing American Culture - get into baseball, Ice Hockey, Basketball whatever - it will help to fill the void of seeing Saints live. I will probably always consider the UK 'home' though. There was a time I felt the American positivity and national pride was nauseating - but actually, it is quite genuine and for the most part I quite enjoy the fact they hold the flag and national anthem in such high esteem. One thing I haven't let go of is the BBC. For the most part, Americans are very inwardly focussed and coverage of world events is sparse on mainstream channels. The BBC is awesome for that.

What I really miss - British country pubs and people that understand that relegation and promotion really is a big f**king deal. :?

Only really know the East Coast and parts of the Mid-West - my old man lives in Baltimore (not really a place you would want to emigrate to).

My aunt (a yank) used to live in Seattle for several years -she worked at the main paper there and really liked it. Am intrigued by the place on the basis of her recommendation, though worth bearing in mind a few downsides: the dreary weather, it can feel isolated and homogeneous and the people can be c**ts, a bit cold and aloof, a bit liberal elite (no doubt, true of the women). But coming from blighty and the south, you can probably take the reserve (along with the defeatist weather and funny transport) in your stride - its probably preferable to some overbearing, overfriendly yank anyway.

Edited by shurlock

I would most definitely say go for it PB. You've been there so you know what the area has to offer, working for the same company so job continuity and hopefully security!!

Not sure about your marital / family status - but this is something that you'd both have to be in agreement on. Could your wife / partner find work, do you have kids of school age etc?

Would you be keeping your property here? Visits back home can be a bit awkward living out of a suitcase and staying with friends/rellies all the time.

Don't forget PB, if you do sell the house, to cement up the dungeon - don't want anybody to find all the dead bodys and implements of torture!!

I think that integrating yourself into such a nice area of the country (a specific place you have targeted), will make the transition much smoother. (I'd jump at the chance of a move to the Pacific NW.)

Try it for a couple of years and see how you get on. Your feelings will possibly change over the course of several years, one way or the other. The UK might become a fond memory for you as you acclimate to your surroundings and settle down. Alternatively, you may get homesick and yearn for the old days. I've also been around both sets of expats, those that have become fully native and those itching to get back home. I think I fall somewhere in between.

I could move back quite happily but I'm not in any hurry. My move here wasn't an escape from the UK and I've kept close to my roots. I do get homesick, although I think it has more to do with the utmost desire to move out of the desert! (I could just as happily relocate to another region of the US too.)

Dont do it Bateman!!! You lack self control. Think of how fat you'll get on the burgers. Think of all the tacky Armani Exchange & Abercrombie gear you'll be walking around in. Think how sh*t your fake American accent will sound when you come back to visit everyone.

Imagine yourself in 5 years time. 5 stone overweight, strolling around in bad shoes, Armani Exchange jeans and an Abercrombie fleece, talking in a fake yank accent and going on and on and on on here about how great your life is over there like all the ex pats on here do.

Put you off? I though so.

My wife and I worked in Wisconsin for a while and enjoyed that time very much. Bizzarely though we ended up in a group of friends that were nearly all European. Never really had a sense of 'Europe' until we were in the US for a time , especially an area that doesn't get any tourists. I think we polarised because we missed the black/sarcastic humour after a while.

You will miss some fine premiership football though mate ;)

I was lucky enough to find myself a smashing American girl 17 years ago and moved to the States after we married 14 years ago.

Whenever I am asked "Do you like it here?" my stock response is "Take the whole healthcare/insurance crap out of the equation and I'd be happy as a pig in ****", and that's pretty much the truth. I've assimilated to most everything else but the lack of social healthcare - or even compassion for social healthcare - really grips my ****. I can't say that the care I've received has been necessarily any better or worse than that I got back in England, but I do know there's an extra level of anxiety when you are laying in bed and can almost hear the cash registers chirruping away out in the corridor. Even WITH pretty good healthcare insurance - which we pay stupid premiums for - we still found ourselves almost $7k poorer last year and (so far) $3500 out-of-pocket this year.

The one year we didn't have health insurance (2003) was the one year my missus was diagnosed with early stage uterine cancer and need to have the uglies cut out as an in-patient. One afternoon, one night, and one morning in hospital racked up $28k worth of bills. I then spent two years fighting them - on moral grounds - and got the cost down to 'merely' $6500. I basically had to threaten them with us declaring bankruptcy and getting nothing unless they agreed.

So yes, great place to live, a country which knows how to enjoy itself - if a little intolerantly and often in a religiously-controlling fashion - with some genuine opportunities, vistas and choices... BUT beware the healthcare trap. It will bleed you dry in more ways than one.

I do miss my footie, but more recently - the last two years - the TV coverage and accessibility to internet streams etc etc has made it much easier. Next season is going to be a dream. Seattle and (especially) Portland LOVE their "soccer" and I'm sure you'll find some like-minded folks once you get there. If not, just look for a good football-mad pub or sports bar - of which there are now many right across the country - wear your red & white and start impressing the locals! (That's pretty much what I did)

Good luck - the Pacific Northwest is a great place to live by all accounts. We are looking to move to Portland at some stage mainly because of its affordable housing stock and groovy progressive attitudes. Cincinnati is WAY too conservative for my taste but its cheap as chips to live here, and it's near where the missus grew up. If she's happy, I'm happy.

I spend three years abroad (UAE) so I would always advise people to do it

In my last job, had a Californian HQ, so my 2 observations would be

1. Work life balance can sometimes be off: staff spend longer in the office just to be seen, and if the boss decides that he needs a report at 9pm, then saddle up and get it done

2. The much shorter holidays might suck

In addition, there seem to be a lot more Police and they intervene in things (such as load music) that UK police are not interested in

Never lived there permanently but have been working on and off in the states for up to six weeks at a time for 15 years.

A lot of Brits dont realise just how different different parts of the US are from each other. imo Seattle is definitely one of the most attractive parts of the US and worth thinking seriously about. Its pretty laid back and liberal (might sound like a minus to you but compared to redneck country it really isnt) and weather isnt much different to the UK apart from slightly hotter summers.

Downsides are in general work really do expect you to respond to emails 7 days a week and be happy to talk on a Sunday morning about some inconsequential project that could wait till Monday. Also being on the west coast is an extra three hours from the UK compared to East coast and a few hundred on the ticket price. Might not sound like much but it makes things like flying back for friends weddings, big Saints games etc much less practical than from say Boston or NYC.

If you get a chance to live over the pond then to me the only place to go, IMHO, is Canada.

I lived in the States and I found the right wing xenophobia and almost fundamental Christianity intolerable.

Where did you live? North Carolina?

I am pretty sure the concerns you mention would be much less of an issue in the Pacific NW.

I am pretty sure the concerns you mention would be much less of an issue in the Pacific NW.

I'm sure they are much less of an issue in the NW. As I said I'd personally opt for Vancouver if I were going to settle over the pond. Couldn't abide being surrounded by yanks 24/7

Instead, once the kids have grown and flown the nest, we will settle in either rural France or Italy.

North Carolina is nowhere near the worst. Places like Asheville, Raleigh and Durham are actually really nice. Try Bentonville Arkansas or Houston for a really 'authentic' experience.

I'm sure they are much less of an issue in the NW. As I said I'd personally opt for Vancouver if I were going to settle over the pond. Couldn't abide being surrounded by yanks 24/7

Instead, once the kids have grown and flown the nest, we will settle in either rural France or Italy.

Now you're talking. Me and Mrs Turkish would love to do that. It's what we would do for work that is the issue.

Now you're talking. Me and Mrs Turkish would love to do that. It's what we would do for work that is the issue.

Post enforced career break, we'd put a small(ish) deposit down on a house just outside Amandola in The Marche but I gotten a decent job offer, Mrs VFTT was expecting child 2 so I stopped the move.

Mortgage is paid off in a few years and then we will buy a gaff out there.

Thanks everyone - seems like you all want rid of me ... no seriously, I appreciate everything you're saying and I do think that if I didn't do it, I'd always wonder what it was like later on in life.

Having spoken more to my boss today, it would be a lengthy process anyway, so I have plenty of time to think and so on.

@VFTT - Washington State (well, the cities) are much more liberal than most of parts of the US and in fact, it really has a very different feel to other places I've been to, even Boston. Plus, Vancouver is only a couple of hours drive away!

@Jill - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_based_in_Seattle - Energy is not my bag, but Seattle area has a wealth of hi-tech companies and Redmond is the home of Microsoft ;)

@Turkish & Charming Man - you both make valid points, but a) you'll have to put up with me running off at midnight a while longer and b) my fashion sense will remain intact

But thanks to the people to have emigrated for your opinions, exactly what I wanted to read!!

Thanks everyone - seems like you all want rid of me ... no seriously, I appreciate everything you're saying and I do think that if I didn't do it, I'd always wonder what it was like later on in life.

Having spoken more to my boss today, it would be a lengthy process anyway, so I have plenty of time to think and so on.

@VFTT - Washington State (well, the cities) are much more liberal than most of parts of the US and in fact, it really has a very different feel to other places I've been to, even Boston. Plus, Vancouver is only a couple of hours drive away!

@Jill - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_based_in_Seattle - Energy is not my bag, but Seattle area has a wealth of hi-tech companies and Redmond is the home of Microsoft ;)

@Turkish & Charming Man - you both make valid points, but a) you'll have to put up with me running off at midnight a while longer and b) my fashion sense will remain intact

But thanks to the people to have emigrated for your opinions, exactly what I wanted to read!!

Remain?

I lived 5 years in rural France. I'd rather be surrounded by Yanks than French given the choice. Oh wait, I WAS given the choice! ;)

As described by other posters above, the Pacific NW is one of the best parts of the country (apart from San Diego, of course ;)).

But I'd wait until after the November elections before deciding. If Romney and the fascist Republicans can steal the election, or fool enough idiots to vote for them, this country will be heading to third world status pdq. You'd be better off looking at Canada or Australia.

As described by other posters above, the Pacific NW is one of the best parts of the country (apart from San Diego, of course ;)).

But I'd wait until after the November elections before deciding. If Romney and the fascist Republicans can steal the election, or fool enough idiots to vote for them, this country will be heading to third world status pdq. You'd be better off looking at Canada or Australia.

Can't agree more. The GOP will take America back to the dark ages quicker than we imagine. They'll pitch their rich -v- everyone else's poor and before we know it... Soylet Green

Great posts from Saint George and Cincy Saint, and my opinions and experience fall somewhere between the two. 12 years ago I moved to NYC, and despite a few scary moments, its been a safe, interesting and challenging place to grow. NYC is an aggressive place to live and work, and expensive. In my work I'm lucky enough to travel often and visit many of the US states, and was in Washington in April - way up in this idyllic valley called Wenatchee. Its a picturesque and peaceful community with all the benefits you'd expect from the Pacific North West, as long as you can look past the "strip malls," nothing to do with clothing removal and more to do with convenient use of available space along a roadside that a small one level shopping mall can be crammed into in an unappealing architectural style.

The healthcare situation is awful and probably the biggest challenge I've faced since being here and still don't fully understand the fleecing of anyone that requires medical help to the tune that people have to declare bankruptcy or chose which limp they can afford to keep. Dramatic but sadly a reality for some people here. Fuel costs are a huge advantage and a positive healthy adoption of the American way makes life worth living in the US. There's so much scope for life improvement and its truely a fascinating place to travel around and enjoy living in.

Of the 'things I miss' I'd echo the comments about a real country pub atmosphere, people who you can really have conversations with about football and other British shared experience but that's where Saintsforev....er....Saintsweb has been a boon. Branston Pickle, Coleman's Mustard, Yorkshire Tea, Double Deckers, and good fish and chips can all be acquired for the right price, and generally bands tour the UK first before emerging here which gives us a chance to catch good bands early in their careers if you pay enough attention to the music. Family and friends are all missed, and getting home once a year or once every couple of years eventually feels acceptable, as long as you plan the trip around a Saints game.

Advice for if you do move here; embrace the culture. Learn an American sport a year, buy a Playstation or an Xbox and workout NFL or college football. Join a fantasy sports league and work out who the decent players are - it all helps to have build a shared interest with your new comrades in the US. Otherwise you'll be stuck talking about TV with the ladies. If you're single that might also be a bonus. Get used to enormous serving sizes, and spelling phonetically, don't cringe everytime you hear a weird accent or poor sentence structure and grammar, and be grateful for what you have.

Immigration can be a bind, and there will be setbacks and challenges with bureaucracy, but as long as you walk into this not expecting it to be easy you'll be ok.

Americans are generally quite accepting of Brits and confidence in yourself and speaking up/being assertive goes down quite well here in my experience, more than being too reserved.

• 2 months later...

Hi mate, didn't see this thread until now.

Are you still considering moving? I lived in LA for 6 years before moving to the Pacific NW 3 years ago. I now live in Portland and LOVE it. Oregon / Washington / British Columbia is an amazing part of the world.

If you're still thinking about it, I'll write some more later when I'm not on my phone.

Do it......

Two points have prevented me from going to the US :

1. Gun control. I dont want to come home from work one day to find my family dead with the back sides of their skulls sliding down the walls from a f**ked up burglary, or getting a call telling me some Marilyn Manson-listening whack-job has gone into school and shot my kid to pieces

2. The lack of social net. I have never claimed welfare, but the lack of pay-as-you-earn medical care and unemployment support if something beyond my control goes wrong at work, with such a big and young family, worries me deeply.

1. Gun control. I dont want to come home from work one day to find my family dead with the back sides of their skulls sliding down the walls from a f**ked up burglary, or getting a call telling me some Marilyn Manson-listening whack-job has gone into school and shot my kid to pieces

2. The lack of social net. I have never claimed welfare, but the lack of pay-as-you-earn medical care and unemployment support if something beyond my control goes wrong at work, with such a big and young family, worries me deeply.

Good to know.

Good to know.

No need for sarcasm. I love the US from my visits, and I think the Orgeon/Washington State areas are gorgeous, and I also like the Utah area, but people who want to move need to think of more than scenery, especially if they have family.

I probably would have gone if I were single and childless.

No need for sarcasm. I love the US from my visits, and I think the Orgeon/Washington State areas are gorgeous, and I also like the Utah area, but people who want to move need to think of more than scenery, especially if they have family.

I probably would have gone if I were single and childless.

I didn't think point 1 was serious, given the over dramatic gory description. A bit of a sweeping generalisation of a country bigger than Europe I think, bad things happen everywhere.

Most people would consider everything before making a move, especially if they have family.

I've been living in Northern Virginia for 2 years with the family. We love it - the opprotunities for the kids are amazing and some of the vacations we have had have been amazing (Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Zion, New York, Carolinas). Opportunity is definitely here and a great place to live - so long as you have a job and enough money for healthcare. As others have said, get into US sports and you will be laughing.

Despite what Apline says, where we live in Virginia there is a great sense of community - far more than we enoucntered in the UK.

Would seriously recommend anyone who gets the chance - go for it. If it doesn't work out you can always move back to the UK.

Made the move and never looked back....Only thing i miss from the UK apart from more regular contact with friends and family is going to Saints games...But even that hole is more than filled by the New Orleans Saints :)......The local stores stock Colman's mustard so i'm good to go :)

Word of advice from my own 'great' experience and from observing the 'mistakes' of one or two other expats.....Once you move here, if you intend to make it permanent, then this 'will be' home...Start thinking of it as that and 'go native' as soon as you can.....'Be' an American and embrace the culture of your new home..........The more unsettled expats i see, are generally the ones that have ended up as just whiney Brits living abroad....Never been able to let go...never really tried. Still thinking of the UK as home. Missing this and missing that and "it's not done like that in the UK" etc etc and never really integrating and seem to be forever homesick.

It's not all a bed of roses here that's for sure...you'll probably work harder here than you ever did in the UK, less vacation and there is very little safety net if you hit on hard times....But the Freedom from a dictatorial Nanny State is sooo liberating it's not real...Not sure how it is in Washington but in most States you will regain ownership of your life....especially down here in the deep south ;)

Good luck....i couldn't recommend it enough

What can you do out there that you cant do in the UK??

found the people great on the holidays when i visited,great lifestyle but their health care system puts me right off if you hit hard times or don,t have insurance and costs a fortune for simple operations plus if any real safety net. i believe canada is the place i would chose out of the two.

valid points and i think healthcare is the most important issueand i,m glad we have a nhs incase anything goes wrong or us and our kids to fall back on.