The real reason that we sacrificed the cups...

Unbelievable Jeff

So, according to a friend of mine (he is a good friend of someone high up in the club) there is a good reason for Pochettino to concentrate on the league. He has an automatic clause in his contract that increases his pay and extends his contract if he finishes above 8th position. Makes sense as to the way he has sacrificed the cups, not that I agree with it at all as a fan.

It's certainly not off Twitter. Pochettino wanted to do well in the cups, just not with his 'first' team as such. Either way we should have beaten them with the team put out.

Agree with that, it was a sh*te performance but the selection was good enough to win it......

So that gives a question from your first post.....did he really sacrifice it?

Assuming this is even true, which I have my doubts about...

And assuming you accept the premise against all the actual evidence that Poch didn't want to progress in the FA Cup...

What you're saying is, the manager is performing according to the terms of his contract.

So this is his 'fault'... how? Surely if there is any 'blame' then it should go to the club for writing it into his contract to prioritise one over the other, rather than the manager for actually doing as he's been told?

It's certainly not off Twitter. Pochettino wanted to do well in the cups, just not with his 'first' team as such. Either way we should have beaten them with the team put out.

How confusing. In your OP you suggest Mopo threw the game for personal gain, but then say he wanted to win and put out a team capable of winning. Twisted logic at best....simple fact is that the players on the pitch including the likes of SRL, JRod and Lallana had a really poor game and we lost the game to a worldly.

So you lot think Sunderland, a team we haven't beaten all season is meant to be beatable at home with a sub-standard side. I'm really ****ed we didn't make a go of it, I would have sacrificed the West Ham game for it.

My only conclusion is MP was determined to stick with the second string side with the hope they would progress and not to bothered if we don't. My conspiracy theory (hopeful thinking more like) is he thinks Europa will be a distraction next season to his greater ambitions.

Its a massive step from 8th/9th postion to 4th, for me we should of gone for it, however all will be forgiven if we finish 8th or 7th, maybe europa league qualification will be ok next season but this season is too soon, i personally think UEFA will review it the summer and change the format as loads of teams dislike the format.

I just don't believe that. Sounds like made up twitter b*****ks post a disappointing defeat - there's a conspiracy theory for everything.
I've got no idea at all whether that clause exists or what the details of it would be, but it's not unreasonable to expect managers to have some kind of performance linked pay in their contracts and it really wouldn't surprise me if ours was based on league position. Doesn't seem hugely unlikely does it?

How confusing. In your OP you suggest Mopo threw the game for personal gain, but then say he wanted to win and put out a team capable of winning. Twisted logic at best....simple fact is that the players on the pitch including the likes of SRL, JRod and Lallana had a really poor game and we lost the game to a worldly.
You seem confused, but his posts aren't confusing. No-one is claiming MP "threw" the game, just giving good reasoning as to why a league position might be so much more important for our manager, which is a pretty good explanation for me.

I've got no idea at all whether that clause exists or what the details of it would be, but it's not unreasonable to expect managers to have some kind of performance linked pay in their contracts and it really wouldn't surprise me if ours was based on league position. Doesn't seem hugely unlikely does it?

It would be unusual for cups not to be included in performance from the albeit limited number of contracts I have seen. Irrespective of that I think the team that was picked was picked in the belief it had enough about it (I am disappointed that the risk was taken) - I don't believe that it was picked with personal gain in mind.

It would be unusual for cups not to be included in performance from the albeit limited number of contracts I have seen. Irrespective of that I think the team that was picked was picked in the belief it had enough about it (I am disappointed that the risk was taken) - I don't believe that it was picked with personal gain in mind.
Who knows. It wouldn't surprise me if our performance related pay was very heavily weighted towards league performance, it has been the over-whelming culture of the club for the last 4 years or so.

This.

A manager having a performance related pay structure is about as revelationery as discovering that the pope is celibate.

So, according to a friend of mine (he is a good friend of someone high up in the club) there is a good reason for Pochettino to concentrate on the league. He has an automatic clause in his contract that increases his pay and extends his contract if he finishes above 8th position. Makes sense as to the way he has sacrificed the cups, not that I agree with it at all as a fan.

Anything regarding a bonus in his contract should he win the fa cup? Just give your mate a call, maybe he can save time and just cut and paste the whole thing on here...sigh

But the question is, should it become a concern to fans if it results in key cup performances like yesterday?

Possibly. But, from my point of view, yesterday's starting 11 was decent enough to get something from the game and, indeed, we were a sitter away from doing so (yes, I know ... "What ifs"...etc)

To me, yesterday's 'problem' was an apparent lack of 'esprit de corps' from the players that were selected. If all the players that started had played near the top of their game then this forum would be a different place today.

At the end of the day we "rested" 2 players (Boruc and Morgan). The other 4 were either 'like for like' swaps (Chambers/Clyne and Cork/Wanyama) or players not being 100% fit (JRod and Fonte).

So, in summary, I don't personally have a concern about the team selection yesterday per se.

Edited by trousers

So many posters seem to blindly accept that playing a weaker team means sacrificing the cup in favour of league position !

Surely the counter argument is that a good cup run helps continue winning games and keeps the momentum and team spirit high !

If Mopo was really intent on achieving 8th spot (or higher) he might well have been better served by his 'best eleven' in the cup tie !

Given this scenario, it would be absurd to suggest that he makes his decisions based on potential financial gain !

If I wrote this I would be had up for trolling as there is no proof, hypocrisy at its finest.

Take a look at this thread http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?49078-Ludicrous-team-selection-Utter-madness/page5

I shared the same info after yesterdays game... Oldnick wants me jailed, Olallana wants me extradited to Beirut and Saint Charlie wants me banned from all internet forums for life

As good as winning the JPT was who would have been disappointed had pardew sacrificed the cups & gone all out for a wembley win in the play offs?

Which squad players from yesterday aren't good enough for prem

KD - not worst keeper in world

Clyne - everyone saying could go to World Cup

Yoshida - 3rd best cb at club

Jos. - not great but not sure Fonte was fit after seeing cuts from tue

Shaw - real chance of playing in World Cup

Wanyama - quality dm

JWP - been part of every squad & played in all but a couple

SD - been playing really well

Guly - not greatest would have preferred Jay Rod

Lallana - best player at club

Rickie - legend

If I wrote this I would be had up for trolling as there is no proof, hypocrisy at its finest.

Careful Barry...don't forget what I've told you about mistakingly giving people the impression you have a persecution complex. Your reaction above is a line of defence that a genuine troll would typically use but, as we know, you aren't one. Don't give the doubters ammunition.

Careful Barry...don't forget what I've told you about mistakingly giving people the impression you have a persecution complex. Your reaction above is a line of defence that a genuine troll would typically use but, as we know, you aren't one. Don't give the doubters ammunition.

Thank you Mr Trouser, you are so clever.

Possibly. But, from my point of view, yesterday's starting 11 was decent enough to get something from the game and, indeed, we were a sitter away from doing so (yes, I know ... "What ifs"...etc)

To me, yesterday's 'problem' was an apparent lack of 'esprit de corps' from the players that were selected. If all the players that started had played near the top of their game then this forum would be a different place today.

At the end of the day we "rested" 2 players (Boruc and Morgan). The other 4 were either 'like for like' swaps (Chambers/Clyne and Cork/Wanyama) or players not being 100% fit (JRod and Fonte).

So, in summary, I don't personally have a concern about the team selection yesterday per se.

But we did rest players and play a weaker team for yesterday's game. And we did prioritise the Hull game over yesterday's game. Both those things significantly prioritised a league place above cup progress.

If the OP wants to make this sort of allegation, he ought to produce evidence otherwise he is just stirring and making bad feelings about the match worse. I'm as angry with the result as anybody but I have to admit that many clubs, inc Sunderland yesterday, use the Cup to give second string players match time. I don't agree with it, but it's one of the unpleasant faces of football that fans have to live with.

Not a surprise if it is in his contract along with sod the cup, as Cortese was not impressed that Pardew pursued the JPT against his wishes as getting out of league 1 was the only priority. That said he thought the day out at Wembley was one of his best days out ever. However he felt that with the JPT in the cabinet Pardew relaxed and took the teams foot of the gas in pursuit of getting into the play offs at least.

Still the team put out yesterday wasn't a naive bunch of squad stumblebums they know how the system works and how to play in our style yet our fluidity was hardly there to be seen, on the flip side Poyet stuck out a lot off fringe players all of whom would be fired up to be in contention for the league cup final in a couple of weeks.

So many posters seem to blindly accept that playing a weaker team means sacrificing the cup in favour of league position !

Surely the counter argument is that a good cup run helps continue winning games and keeps the momentum and team spirit high !If Mopo was really intent on achieving 8th spot (or higher) he might well have been better served by his 'best eleven' in the cup tie !

Given this scenario, it would be absurd to suggest that he makes his decisions based on potential financial gain !

Yes, I've made that point a couple of times but lost on the ' sky/x-factor generation ' as several have termed them.

Not a surprise if it is in his contract along with sod the cup, as Cortese was not impressed that Pardew pursued the JPT against his wishes as getting out of league 1 was the only priority. That said he thought the day out at Wembley was one of his best days out ever. .

Could hardly say otherwise after the obvious joy it brought to Marcus Liebherr.

"As poyet has been informed, he will have a statue built in his honour if he leads Sunderland to success in either competition (the cups). Survive in the league and he will be forgotten, like those who have done it before him, in the blink of an eye." - Sunday Times.

"I would be more famous if we win the cup" - Poyet.

"As poyet has been informed, he will have a statue built in his honour if he leads Sunderland to success in either competition (the cups). Survive in the league and he will be forgotten, like those who have done it before him, in the blink of an eye." - Sunday Times.

well obviously. if he wins the cup and relegates sunderland he'll get a job somewhere else like martinez did.

"Apparently to be more famous, it's better to win the cup. ... I think they know me enough, so I would prefer to stay in the Premier League."

If you're going to quote him from yesterday, why not mention the bit where he says he doesn't give a **** as long as he doesn't get relegated?

It's amazing how many people at football clubs seem to have access to employee contracts.

Why would you need access to anyone's contract, the person with the contract has a mouth.

I would be very surprised if there wasn't incentive based clauses in all the playing/management staff's contracts, especially given Cortese's banking background. Maybe the players don't get much for the cup - would explain why Wanyama ponced about like he didn't give a toss.

Jeff has given details of his source..."someone high up in the club" did this high up staff member read my post and then tell Jeff?

What influence i have on here and the wider world :facepalm:

I would not be surprised if Jeff was another of your usernames. It was ohh so convenient when there were a few posters saying you should be banned that Jeff pops up with the same claim of a bonus.

Why would you need access to anyone's contract, the person with the contract has a mouth.

I would be very surprised if there wasn't incentive based clauses in all the playing/management staff's contracts, especially given Cortese's banking background. Maybe the players don't get much for the cup - would explain why Wanyama ponced about like he didn't give a toss.

Perhaps Wanyama doesn't give a toss, have you ever thought of that, last season he was playing in the CL, he chose us above other clubs because he believed that he would soon be playing at that level again (yeah right), the man who signed him and sold him "the project" has gone and he no doubt might just feel a bit aggrieved about it all. Anyway his agent is probably setting him up something better, hence the Wanyama to Citeh stories, no doubt put about by his agent. Cortese's departure is not anodyne in the performances of some players, it certainly had soemthing to do with Osvaldo's behaviour. The players obviously know far more than we do...fortunately, but the club really needs to sort it's management structure out so that there is no longer any confusion regarding targets and who actually runs the circus. Failing to appoint a real CEO straight away

is obviously having a negative effect on some.

Perhaps Wanyama doesn't give a toss, have you ever thought of that, last season he was playing in the CL, he chose us above other clubs because he believed that he would soon be playing at that level again (yeah right), the man who signed him and sold him "the project" has gone and he no doubt might just feel a bit aggrieved about it all. Anyway his agent is probably setting him up something better, hence the Wanyama to Citeh stories, no doubt put about by his agent. Cortese's departure is not anodyne in the performances of some players, it certainly had soemthing to do with Osvaldo's behaviour. The players obviously know far more than we do...fortunately, but the club really needs to sort it's management structure out so that there is no longer any confusion regarding targets and who actually runs the circus. Failing to appoint a real CEO straight away

is obviously having a negative effect on some.

We didn't give a sh!te about the cup when Cortese was here either.

"Apparently to be more famous, it's better to win the cup. ... I think they know me enough, so I would prefer to stay in the Premier League."

If you're going to quote him from yesterday, why not mention the bit where he says he doesn't give a **** as long as he doesn't get relegated?

Because the bit you've quoted wasn't included in the Sunday Times article from which I took the extract. Where does he say that he doesn't give a **** as long as he doesn't get relegated? Somebody is misquoting and it isn't me.