Closing in on a Manager

St Chalet

Your Choice  

489 members have voted

1. 1. Your Choice

Reed said they had 6-10 on original shorlist

Had loads of top end applicants and final 4 all featured in the original shortlist.

Lets just hope the orinal shorlist was ambitious ;)

Feels like its close. Just paper work holding it up Reed said

The way Les Reed is talking about the due diligence process in employment and how unknown Mauricio Pochettino was in the video makes me wonder if we are going to get someone a little more obscure then Koeman or even Yakin.

The way Les Reed is talking about the due diligence process in employment and how unknown Mauricio Pochettino was in the video makes me wonder if we are going to get someone a little more obscure then Koeman or even Yakin.

Quite possibly, but one thing I do know for sure is that I'd trust the clubs scouting and recruitment department over you, me, or any other fan. And given that the same department found Pochettino, I'm quietly confident.

That's the way I heard it too when he mentioned that they have kept an eye on up and coming managers. Could be a surprise after all. Still hoping for Ronnie though!

That's the way I heard it too when he mentioned that they have kept an eye on up and coming managers. Could be a surprise after all. Still hoping for Ronnie though!

Id consider Murat Yakin an up and coming manager? Hes only 39. Koeman would probably not be talked about in them terms, ranieri defo not.

But like you said, could also be a complete surprise.

Still think it will be RonKo.

Also, is it just me or does the fact that Ron's on holiday indicate that he'll be the one appointed. I mean, contract agreed with only "paperwork" left to do, so Ron's having a break ready to get to work when he returns? Perhaps a bit too 'tin foil hat', but...

Yakin was the original choice....if you look back,I posted so......in fact I was the first person to mention him,Koeman has now put us in a dilemma.

Hence the slight delay...

The decision is made,it's just the timing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You would still do due diligence on Koeman, it would actually take longer as there is more to go through and more people to speak to.

The "up and coming" bit is more curious, Yakin would qualify but it would certainly rule out Koeman, Ranieri, Benitez, Magath and Gerry Francis.

As I asked on the other thread:

What does Yakin give us over Koeman ?

In terms of record and achievement Koeman seems ahead by some distance.

Right or wrong for us is perhaps another matter.

Koeman would comand attention/respect from the squad, ahead of less experienced names, and that is important now to help stem an exodus.

But as others have said the LR interview gives impression of seeking a MP mkII. Of all the articles read about the names listed Tuchel would seem to meet some of the criterea.

As I asked on the other thread:

What does Yakin give us over Koeman ?

In terms of record and achievement Koeman seems ahead by some distance.

Right or wrong for us is perhaps another matter.

Koeman would comand attention/respect from the squad, ahead of less experienced names, and that is important now to help stem an exodus.

But as others have said the LR interview gives impression of seeking a MP mkII. Of all the articles read about the names listed Tuchel would seem to meet some of the criterea.

Just the youth v experience debate. Koeman has some failure on his CV but that's what happens if you've been a manager for a while.

Yakin could build his reputation here like MP has. Koeman is more of a big name big personality. Either could succeed or fail.

If they pull Tuchel out of the bag I'd be delighted. He's dropped off the radar amongst all the rumours surrounding Ranieri and Gerry Francis.

Other then knowing that Mainz have done well in recent times I know little about the guy. What is his style of play?

There were quite a few links on the previous thread if you can be bothered going through it.

Probably one of the 'crank' applicants that Reed had a laugh about.

TBF, he's not a bad manager really. Unfairly sacked by Spurs IMO, made a very good crack of a mess of a squad. But he's a skate, so yeah, I'd file him under crank.

Hmm he also mentioned applicants who had won European leagues and competitions, and vast experience playing in the Champions League. Think if Reed is serious about a manager that can convince the likes of Luke and Adam to stay then the new manager will need to have some sort of profile in the game already.

Moyes ................!

As a stability choice, then yeah - but from hearing Les, I feel the club want to continue the attacking aspect - Moyes isn't going to bring a free-flowing side to St Mary's. Dogged, robust, hard to beat, but ultimately quite dull. Not sure that is the 'Southampton way' Les' was referring to.

Hmm he also mentioned applicants who had won European leagues and competitions, and vast experience playing in the Champions League. Think if Reed is serious about a manager that can convince the likes of Luke and Adam to stay then the new manager will need to have some sort of profile in the game already.

Koeman, Frank De Boer are the 2 that stick out who hit that criteria.

51 and seven jobs in three major European leagues, so no.

That does seem a lot, but it is 7 jobs since 2000. What is the average PL manager's tenure? Googling it, the Mirror in December 2013 states it's now 1 year (down from 2.07 according to a BBC article from 2011). In a Ralph moment of positive thinking, maybe the Cowman hasn't found the right club. Certainly some clubs don't suit managers (Hodgson & Liverpool, Moyes & Man Utd), so maybe the converse is also true.

That does seem a lot, but it is 7 jobs since 2000. What is the average PL manager's tenure? Googling it, the Mirror in December 2013 states it's now 1 year (down from 2.07 according to a BBC article from 2011). In a Ralph moment of positive thinking, maybe the Cowman hasn't found the right club. Certainly some clubs don't suit managers (Hodgson & Liverpool, Moyes & Man Utd), so maybe the converse is also true.

That's all fine. I was saying no to the idea he is "up and coming". 14 years in management says he isn't. He is an established manager.

Might be in the minority but I have serious doubts about koeman not got a good record of staying anywhere very long and although he's had success he was very poor at a a couple of clubs too, why swap one ship jumper for another?

Might be in the minority but I have serious doubts about koeman not got a good record of staying anywhere very long and although he's had success he was very poor at a a couple of clubs too, why swap one ship jumper for another?

I think that might be the case whoever we pick.

Bruce, 53, has interrupted a family holiday in Portugal to return to Hull to tell chief executive Ehab Allam that he is happy at the KC Stadium and to discuss summer transfers.

:lol: why would ANYONE ever do that :lol:

That could mean just a phone call.