Closing in on a Manager

St Chalet

Your Choice  

489 members have voted

1. 1. Your Choice

i like the look of tuchal personally and he defo fits the profile we seem to favour. He insists on all players to committing to attack and defence whilst preaching fitness. Turns out he is a big fan of the bielsa style and importantly has lots of experience managing acadamies ans using academy players at mainz.

sounds like a perfect fit if you look at sucession planning.

He certainly appears to meet the criteria, and I've not read anything detrimental about him.

My concern here is how he would impose himself in the dressing room, a fairly young manager with very little playing history to give him the 'authority' needed ? MP was a less experienced manager when he arrived than TT is, but he did have the background of his playing career to bolster his reputation.

Happy with Tuchel, Koeman or Yakin, all 3 will make something of us but from a long term perspective I'd go Tuchel/Yakin.

Why do you think they'd be around for longer than Koeman ?

Got a strange and hopeful feeling that it could be Frank de Boer after watching Les' interview.

Also agree with people who are saying it could be someone completely left field.

FDB ? Can't see that personally as I expect he'd be looking for something bigger.

Out of interest, what is the attraction of FDB, managed Ajax etc, but does he have a better record of introducing the academy etc than Koeman ?

Koeman has been around the block a bit and managed quite a few clubs, thought the younger guys would potentially commit to a longer term vision than a 51yr old.

Hard to generalise, so I will . Younger guys tend to be building a reputation and are working their way up but might have young family reluctant to move repeatedly. Older (50) plus have grown kids and more freedom of movement but more often look at what is going to give them as good quality of life. Basically its down to personal characteristics and family situation, you cant second guess those.

Tuchel did a good job overall with Mainz (although they did have a few bad seasons too). Funny enough I was working in Germany in 2010 and remember them doing very well. They had some good players. I think they had Shurlee (or however you spell it) Fuchs and Holtby who stood out. Seemed to be a very young team. So would fit with our philosophy of bringing through youngsters. Maybe he would bring Okazaki here too.

Hey boys first post here, from Australia, happy with any of the NON english based nanes mentioned to take the role as they are either has beens or just lack PL quality experience.. was just curious to see if anyone would deem it a chance that we could use tge supposed £2million release fee for MoPo to pay Mainz to unlock the clause for Tommy Tuchel??

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

feels a bit like a circus to me

Do you think that might be only because you take an interest in it? Do you consider West Brom's situation being a circus? They sacked Mel on 12th May. As Les Reed said, it's only been 2 weeks since MP left, so WBA have been manargerless for twice as long.

Tuchel would be risk. Lots of managers have done well at one club and flopped badly subsequently. I'd prefer to see someone who has a solid track record - proof they have real abilities in gauging talent, tactics, development / coaching, man management etc etc and didnt just get lucky with a golden crop of players.

Absolutely right. I think Reed dealt with it as well as possible in the interview- it seemed pretty clear that the board knows who they want and their man wants to come here. This could have become a circus (much like Sp*** pursuit of Pochettino) but credit to the club (and whoever the new manager is) that it hasn't.

Agree about the paperwork reference from Les Reed's interview. My interpretation also that the decision is made. How long until we hear depends upon tying up the loose ends, some of which are outside the club's control in terms of how quickly they are sorted. In the meantime, all fans passing through airports, working in hotels or travelling with taxi drivers should be under an absolute obligation to let us know as soon as they hear a clue.....

Hey boys first post here, from Australia, happy with any of the NON english based nanes mentioned to take the role as they are either has beens or just lack PL quality experience.. was just curious to see if anyone would deem it a chance that we could use tge supposed £2million release fee for MoPo to pay Mainz to unlock the clause for Tommy Tuchel??

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Welome to the Mad house,

Rachel screams Solksjaer I'm afraid.

Not keen on Koeman or Yakin.

Not really impressed with any of the names linked. I'd pick Moyes purely for the Hoddle effect. Big man who fell but rose again with us. He may go after a year but it'll give us a year of sourcing a real diamond in the rough.

Les Reed mentioned that the paperwork was holding things up. If the candidate was English or European I'd have thought this would have gone quickly. I feel the candidate may be non European like Pochettino and they may require work permit, visas etc.. This would narrow down the field of candidates if this was so.

So who does this leave us with?

Interesting about Mancini, 2 days ago he stated he was staying at Galatasaray for next season. Also on Betfair, over the last 15 minutes Rene Girard's name was added and 10 quid was laid and snapped up at 5.2. Manchini isn't availabee on Betfair yet but will keep an eye out to see if he's added.

Interesting about Mancini, 2 days ago he stated he was staying at Galatasaray for next season. Also on Betfair, over the last 15 minutes Rene Girard's name was added and 10 quid was laid and snapped up at 5.2. Manchini isn't availabee on Betfair yet but will keep an eye out to see if he's added.

Rene Girard from Lille..........great, permission to change my poll vote mods ??

Les Reed mentioned that the paperwork was holding things up. If the candidate was English or European I'd have thought this would have gone quickly. I feel the candidate may be non European like Pochettino and they may require work permit, visas etc.. This would narrow down the field of candidates if this was so.

So who does this leave us with?

IMO he was just using the word paperwork to mean the bureaucratic process of getting from deciding who we want to actually signing them publicly, with all the contractual issues to sort out, for the bloke himself and his team too.

Imagine just the complications of merely sorting out where he is goug to live, a relatively minor part of the process, but one we can all understand. Will he rent or buy something himself, or wil the club provide somewhere, in which case how flash a place will we give him..... All stuff his agent will be negotiating over.

Now imagine that process over all the many oher issues.

Mancini would be a poor fit in terms of philosophy and team management, but he's so damn good that I probably wouldn't care.

Won't happen though. Very, very strongly linked with Serie A, and you know if there was a whiff of a PL return we'd be hearing about it already.

I do not understand this obsession with Koeman. He's done little as a manager other than deliver near-success to clubs who've recently had it anyway, dismal failure at Valencia and AZ, and returned Feyenoord to their status as top also-ran in Holland with their success in line with their spending power. Difficult to believe he'd maintain our current style with his Ajax background either - though I don't know how his teams line up so this may be unfair. I don't think his name value means much, as he's hardly been recruiting top names to his former clubs.

Anyone with Bielsa-esque methods with an ability to bring through kids is fine by me, so from the short list above, I think I'd prefer Yakin.

I have been told the announcement will be 'very soon' although whether my source has any credibility is another matter.

My source told me "sooner rather than later" (But then my source was Les Reed in that youtube video from last night ;))

I'd be happy with either RK or MY, Tuchel as a decent outside bet. Ranieri has bags of experience and a fine track record but languages could be an issue. I voted Yakin because he impressed me tactically in the CL for Basle but could easily have voted for Koeman instead. Mancini - don't see it but you never know. Would be behind Yakin, Koeman and Raineri and probably Tuchel for me. Bruce is just an agent ruse for getting a bigger transfer budget and contract at Hull.

I noticed the odds dropping quite rapidly on Mancini yesterday. Can't see it to be honest. Not 100% sure I'd want it either?

I cant see Mancini coming. but should he, could not see him staying more than 1 season

he is used to dining at the top table and spending big money

after a season of fighting it out for 9th place and a 1/4 final of the FA cup being success. He will be off IMO

I cant see Mancini coming. but should he, could not see him staying more than 1 season

he is used to dining at the top table and spending big money

after a season of fighting it out for 9th place and a 1/4 final of the FA cup being success. He will be off IMO

Any manager that buys Balotelli should not be one Saints are considering. It's been bad enough with Osvaldo!

When this all started and and I read a few articles on Yakin and I thought he sounded great but then all the talk was of Koeman who, to me a least, didn't see to shabby either. Now there is this Tuchel guy who also sounds pretty good. Any of them would on paper at least seem like decent appointments. Though I still like the sound of Yakin I'd be happy with any of the above three really.

The whole idea of Mancini coming to saints is just laughable IMO

Edited by doddisalegend

I do not understand this obsession with Koeman. He's done little as a manager other than deliver near-success to clubs who've recently had it anyway, dismal failure at Valencia and AZ, and returned Feyenoord to their status as top also-ran in Holland with their success in line with their spending power. Difficult to believe he'd maintain our current style with his Ajax background either - though I don't know how his teams line up so this may be unfair. I don't think his name value means much, as he's hardly been recruiting top names to his former clubs.

Anyone with Bielsa-esque methods with an ability to bring through kids is fine by me, so from the short list above, I think I'd prefer Yakin.

TBF Koeman has won some sort of silverware with five out of the seven clubs he has managed (including Valencia where be all accounts he was ****) that kind of suggests he has got some ability I would say and that's a pretty big step up on any saints manager I can remember.