Plastics

OLDER BUT WISER

Normally when we go back to the Waterfront after the game for a beer we get a few opposition fans in who maybe staying over for the night or have local friends, last night was different as we had a fair crowd of Man Ure fans who were pretty vocal and annoying BUT you did not hear a single northern accent as they were all from Southampton although a couple may have come from as far North as Otterbourne,

I still do not get this desire to support a team that is not from your town and probably never will.

Support your local sheriff.

What about Saints fans who, instead of supporting the team to the finish, leave before the match ends? Isn't that just as fickle?

If I drive I leave at 87 minutes on the dot , nothing is worth sitting in that traffic !

What about Saints fans who, instead of supporting the team to the finish, leave before the match ends? Isn't that just as fickle?

I wouldn't call leaving on 88 mins to beat the traffic last night before a 3 hour drive home particularly fickle. But then that's exactly what I did yesterday. Each to their own I guess.

Normally when we go back to the Waterfront after the game for a beer we get a few opposition fans in who maybe staying over for the night or have local friends, last night was different as we had a fair crowd of Man Ure fans who were pretty vocal and annoying BUT you did not hear a single northern accent as they were all from Southampton although a couple may have come from as far North as Otterbourne,

I still do not get this desire to support a team that is not from your town and probably never will.

I lived up there or thereabouts for six years. Whatever protests they put up, the man u fanbase is predominantly outside manchester, and judging by the accents I heard from the "fans" pouring off the London trains on match day, mainly southern. I saw a lot of it because we used to deal with a few big shops in mancland and saturday was always the busy day.

The thing is, in this day and age a club needs these kind of fans to grow. Man Utd wouldn't be as big as it is financially without its global support. As annoying as plastic Saints fans would be, we need them to if we are ever to compete. We can't rely solely on local supporters anymore.

Funny that we get threads like this slating plastic United fans who don't come from manchester, but also threads that celebrate Saints fans that don't come from Southampton. Anyone would think we're a bunch of hypocrites...

Hey I ain't been I the UK for almost 40 years .....but born and bred in Southampton.............that OK with you????

Funny that we get threads like this slating plastic United fans who don't come from manchester, but also threads that celebrate Saints fans that don't come from Southampton. Anyone would think we're a bunch of hypocrites...

They don't have to come from Southampton though, do they? Reasonable radius and we're the nearest team (even in the top division), work here, gone to Uni here, close family here, all fair enough reasons to support us. Those would also be acceptable reasons for supporting any of the glory teams too. But as we aren't a glory team, it is pretty hard to accuse anybody who supports us of being a plastic anyway, so the hypocrisy charge doesn't quite work.

At the United match, there was some adult male tw*t sat in the Chapel wearing a Chelsea jacket. What was that all about? Are we his first team and Chelsea his second? Or is it the other way about? Or was he just a bit thick and didn't realise that it was a bloody stupid thing to do?

There is a difference between us and them. They are a brand, we are not. Brands attract people from all over the world, while we rely more so on the locality. Saints supporters from outside of Southampton are still the minority.

Man Utd ran a competition a few years back in Thailand to win a trip to OT to see a game. They had millions of people enter it. Liverpool have a game in Sydney's SCG, and 100k Liverpool supporters turn up. We have a pre-season in Belgium and 25 people from Southampton turn up.

We used to get the forum genius brigade demanding we build another 10-15,000 seats to cater for:

a) Brand new Saints fans in our gigantic catchment area from Truro to Bath to Guildford to Dover.

b) A neutral area for people who just want a nice day out at a Premier League football match.

So some have shown a huge desire to ram the stadium full of "plastics".

Anyone would think you're a moron who's unable to distinguish two fundamentally different cases.

Last time I checked, plastic had connotations of supporting a big side. A connection to the area has nothing to do with being a plastic other than as a defense that support is not just skin-deep glory-hunting.

Now explain to me how all this applies to supporting a sporadically successful and stodgily provincial side like Southampton?

Edited by shurlock

The term plastic fan really annoys me. Just because some of us have chosen to move away from Southampton and live in other parts of the country or indeed the world doesn't mean we are plastics. What with the cost of a ticket coupled with the cost of travel etc then supporting your club becomes very expensive. I for one have supported saints for over 40 years & have been to hundreds of games in that time, but just because I am not there every game singing from the stands does not make me a plastic & doesn't detract stop me being a true fan. I am sure there are countless others who will feel the same.

Jesus H! I hope we don't fall into the abyss over this. Within my circle of neighbours there are Villa,Birmingham,Man City,ManU,Wolves,Walsall,Liverpool,Chelsea,Arsenal,Telford,Shrewsbury,Lincoln,Notts F and Saints. For most of us our work has brought us here but we still support a Club.Are we plastics?

But talking of plastics our support was pants last night

Not helped at the end by people flooding out from the 85th minute. A time when we were still chasing the game, no less.

What kind of a message does it send the players when 1/3 to 1/2 of the crowd has given up and gone home already?

The term plastic fan really annoys me. Just because some of us have chosen to move away from Southampton and live in other parts of the country or indeed the world doesn't mean we are plastics. What with the cost of a ticket coupled with the cost of travel etc then supporting your club becomes very expensive. I for one have supported saints for over 40 years & have been to hundreds of games in that time, but just because I am not there every game singing from the stands does not make me a plastic & doesn't detract stop me being a true fan. I am sure there are countless others who will feel the same.

I do agree when it's in the context of our club (rather than sl*gging off Man U fans :)

I wonder if the slightly inward looking and defensive 'you can't be in our gang unless you've shown blood sweat and tears' reaction harps back to a slightly defensive English class system. Ie. if you're not one of us, we're going to look at you funny. I can't imagine any other interest where people would frown on others who like the same thing as them.

Just a theory, feel free to tell/prove me wrong!

So, a saints fan who comes from some distance outside Southampton and has to run to either avoid serious traffic or catch a train is fickle?

Where do you get off you pompous bell end! These guys are taking greater time, effort and cost to support the team whilst all you can do is sit on your backside and critisize them for it?!?! Get real mate, and go do one if your only contribution is to criticize other saints fans.

What's more annoying than a plastic? Someone who bleats on about what a 'proper' supporter they are. It's football. There are no rules about how you should support your team and how you should enjoy it. It's turned into a consumer industry that attracts all sorts. Just because you went to the Bescott Stadium on a cold December Saturday 5 years ago it doesn't make you any better than the person who has started going to games now we're back in the Premier League - perhaps he / she has a different reason for going to the football than you - what a disgrace! Throw them out!

Enjoy football how you want to, but don't impress it on other people. It's pathetic.

What does this make me? I was born in Manchester and spent my youth in South Wales but have been a Saints fan since the age of 7 for reasons that nobody has ever been able to explain it's not like we were even any good in the late 80's.

You don't come under the definition of what a plastic fan is in my opinion. You moved away from this area, but still follow the team, despite the distance. As far as I'm concerned, being a plastic fan means that you support a team for no other reason than than they have been consistently successful over a sustained period of time. So if somebody claims to be a Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and latterly Man City fan, and they have absolutely no connections with those cities, then they qualify as plastics.

Not helped at the end by people flooding out from the 85th minute. A time when we were still chasing the game, no less.

What kind of a message does it send the players when 1/3 to 1/2 of the crowd has given up and gone home already?

1/3rd to a 1/2? A few hundred, maybe. But I certainly didn't see 10,000/12,000 people streaming towards the exits.

Agreed 100%.

Ironically the 'plastic' Mancs (all 2.5 thousand of them !) made more noise throughout Monday night's match than our 30 thousand ish !

Certainly their away support is always very passionate and doesn't come across as very plastic at all (to me anyway!).

I couldn't hear them from where I was stood in the Kingsland. I thought we were making some good noise! Just goes to show that my perception is different from yours and we were at the same game.....

1/3rd to a 1/2? A few hundred, maybe. But I certainly didn't see 10,000/12,000 people streaming towards the exits.

It was certainly that proportion in the blocks surrounding where I was stood. Same every game unless we're giving the opposition a comprehensive kicking (and sometimes even then).

So, a saints fan who comes from some distance outside Southampton and has to run to either avoid serious traffic or catch a train is fickle?

Where do you get off you pompous bell end! These guys are taking greater time, effort and cost to support the team whilst all you can do is sit on your backside and critisize them for it?!?! Get real mate, and go do one if your only contribution is to criticize other saints fans.

I travel from London, sometimes by car, sometimes by train. I support Saints till the end, win or lose. And did so when we were in League 1.

How does it look to our players when they see mass exits of their own supporters before the end of the game. You wouldn't expect them to give up until the final whistle, would you? We've drawn or won many games in the past close to extra time because of that last supreme effort by our team.