Saints vs. WBA build up thread

Dark Munster

I would be inclined to go with the same starting 11, albeit with a 4-3-3 formation (Targett in left midfield). I just feel its time for some continuity and a settled side from game to game.

That said, Koeman has made it clear in the past that he picks players and formations based on the opposition, and not just on form, so it wouldn't surprise me if he went with the following line up vs WBA:

Forster

Cedric - Fonte - VvD - Bertrand

Romeu - Clasie - Davis

Mane - Pelle - Tadic

Subs: Stek, Targett, Yoshida, Wanyama, JWP, Juanmi, Long

If you want to slow the game down then bring in Victor, Pelle and Tadic.

If you want exciting counter attacking, in your face pressing and fast combination play then keep these three players on the bench.

We talk about giving youth a chance. Well when you play as good as Targett did last night, how can you drop him. At least he provides quality crosses and physical presence.

Edited by Andy Durman

Ronald will have some selection headaches ahead of this one.

Forster

Romeu - Clasie

Davis - Mane - Tadic

Pelle

Very harsh on Long and Targett to be honest. But Long coming off the bench for Pelle in the 2nd half would be terrifying for a tired defender. Maybe have Targett LM instead of Tadic.

I don't know. Either way someone will be harshly dropped.

Forster

Romeu - Clasie

Davis - Mane - Tadic

Pelle

Very harsh on Long and Targett to be honest. But Long coming off the bench for Pelle in the 2nd half would be terrifying for a tired defender. Maybe have Targett LM instead of Tadic.

other way round I'd think. long starting and pelle off the bench. start with long because the more the game goes on the more WB will sit back deeper and deeper with no space behind. long will surely be useless at that point except on the break. it's when there's no space that you want pelle and an option for the fullbacks to cross into him. if there's ever a chance there will be a bit more open play, it will surely be at the start. alternatively, maybe we play our strongest 11 and hope that we get a goal to coax them out.

it is harsh on targett, only because bertrand is also excellent.

Hopefully Clasie & Romeu will start again.

JWP hasn't for two games and Wanyama available again so would be tempting for RK to opt for some fresh legs in there...

that I agree with. Both have looked better and better in the last few games ...despite defeats (before yesterday, that is).

Victor should be satisfied with a bench place this weekend, the team looked better without him. Do WBA look a bigger threat than Watford?. I wouldn't change it.

Upcoming away games at Man Utd and Arsenal should "show-case" him for his next club ...after the summer.

I would be inclined to go with the same starting 11, albeit with a 4-3-3 formation (Targett in left midfield). I just feel its time for some continuity and a settled side from game to game.

That said, Koeman has made it clear in the past that he picks players and formations based on the opposition, and not just on form, so it wouldn't surprise me if he went with the following line up vs WBA:

Forster

Romeu - Clasie - Davis

Mane - Pelle - Tadic

Subs: Stek, Targett, Yoshida, Wanyama, JWP, Juanmi, Long

My train of though exactly.

If you want exciting counter attacking, in your face pressing and fast combination play then keep these three players on the bench.

We talk about giving youth a chance. Well when you play as good as Targett did last night, how can you drop him. At least he provides quality crosses and physical presence.

How we going to counter attack a team that will play with 10 behind the ball and one up front? WBA will be a very different game. Watford came to play football (badly as it turned out) WBA will come to play for a 0-0 and hope to nick one. I don't think we can just play the same 11 in the same formation and expect more of the same against brom.

Was very good last night, but was definitely one of the weakest players against Palace, where his crossing was pretty awful. Good to see him put that right last night though.

Hopefully Clasie & Romeu will start again.

JWP hasn't for two games and Wanyama available again so would be tempting for RK to opt for some fresh legs in there...

Can Clasie play two games in three days? Thought he was outstanding last night but that was the first full 90 he has played so I wonder if he can go again so soon. I reckon we could see Victor back in for Clasie on Saturday... .

unfortunately

Tadic for Targett the only change for me, which is very harsh on Targett but if we change shape as I expect we will do, then it's a change that needs to be made.

If Pelle and Wanyama come in at the expense of Romeu/Clasie and Long, I think it could kill the mood in the stadium before kick off.

I would imagine that Ron will go with the same formation, but something is telling me that Wanyama and Pelle will return to the starting line-up. If Pelle does come back I want to see Long in there and not Mane. Brom are one of those teams we seem to struggle against and this will probably be a draw, but after last nights performance, who knows...perhaps a win is on the cards.

We must keep pressing as the Baggies slow games down and time-waste from kick off. Would use Pelle and Long up front to mix it with their defenders.Mane to come on for Pelle after 60 minutes.Our Ball Boys will make sure the ball is returned to the pitch rather than back into the crowd.Have a good feeling we will shade this by the odd goal.

We must keep pressing as the Baggies slow games down and time-waste from kick off. Would use Pelle and Long up front to mix it with their defenders.Mane to come on for Pelle after 60 minutes.Our Ball Boys will make sure the ball is returned to the pitch rather than back into the crowd.Have a good feeling we will shade this by the odd goal.

you do realise that now Pelle is fit and back. He will start and never be subbed unless injured. That is how it works

The angst against Victor largely unjustified in my opinion. If I were playing against Saints I would dread his presence. He's part responsible for as many regains of possession as anyone in the side. Opinion of him has been shifted by his wobble pre-season. And I bet he won't be making 2 reckless challenges in a game again any time soon. Given only 3 days break I might start Clasie but bring on Victor second half. I'd also be happy to see him start. Last year the main moan was about our lack of squad depth. This year we have it. Why not use it?

I WOULD change the system.

Our performance yesterday was so good because we identified that watfords strength came from their 2 forwards. i.e. one jumps and takes the defender out of the game and the second feeds on the space behind. By playing 3 cb we stopped them playing that way.

Also they score very few from corners or set plays and therefore we could be light in numbers of "big" defenders (Ron usually like to play 4 - two cb + Big Vic & Pelle but yesterday we were able to able to use Long & Classe as markers along with the 2 cb because watford offered little threat in that area).

Wba play a different way and will give us different problems.

They have lots of tall players and score lots of goals from set plays either because they have 4 or 5 players good in the air or players who strike the ball well from the edge of the box when the ball runs free.

I would revert to a back 4 and add an extra central midfield player with some extra height in the team to combat their set plays, while still aiming to break quickly on their "slow but tall" defenders.

Doubt we will go 3 CBs for this as they only play 1 up front and are quite defensive.

So expect at least one change.

Sure they also will defend deep and not leave any space in behind.

Another game where an early goal is so beneficial.

Suggesting Pelle to return with Mane behind?

Think it will be interesting with RK's selection this weekend. The obvious decision would be to stick to what has worked so far (and vs. Arsenal) and play an unchanged team; however, I think WBA, with Pulis, will be much more harder to breakdown and getting opportunities will be limited which doesn't play into our hands. For all his critics, Tadic does generally take a chance when he gets it (yesterday, Aresnal home last year, Man Utd away) so I would think he may start. The back and midfield should remain as they were solid; Wanyama on the bench to come on to hold lead.

Up front, I would keep with Mane and Long - stretch them then bring on Pelle to hold the ball and play through to Long / Mane.

So why was he on the bench last night?

because he is not fully match fit

he will start saturday and will not come off, regardless on how crap he plays unless he is injured

we will lump the ball up to him, he will get dominated by their CBs and will get away with it as they 'play deeper'

instead, we should stick with long and mane and move their pretty static defence around a bit

does long deserve to be dropped? does he shyte

my team..

Forster

Cedric Fonte VvD Bertrand

Davis Clasie Rom Tadic

Mane

Long

Edited by Batman

Thats Mane out wide again, where he is less effective.

The best thing of the 532 is it means Mane can be central.

It doesn't really suit Tadic though and doesn't work against most teams anyway.

No reason to not play Davis out on the right and Mane down the middle if we want - Davis is more than capable of playing there, he did under Poch.

he will start saturday and will not come off, regardless on how crap he plays unless he is injured

we will lump the ball up to him, he will get dominated by their CBs and will get away with it as they 'play deeper'

Any objections if I re-quote this post in 48 hours? :)

Doubt we will go 3 CBs for this as they only play 1 up front and are quite defensive.

So expect at least one change.

Sure they also will defend deep and not leave any space in behind.

Another game where an early goal is so beneficial.

I'm pretty sure we started with a back 4 against Waford??

Forster

Romeu - Clasie

Davis - Mane - Tadic

Pelle

The trouble is, Ronald never seems to substitute before 60 minutes, when someone has been having a a mare and change is almost too late