The Mid-Week Games Thread

Wiggles31

Why he said that Liverpool are away to Stoke.

He said:

A loss tonight would have meant a draw against palace would have been sufficient to finish ahead of Liverpool (barring them beating WBA by three goals).

That is correct.

Great result tonight, absolutely. But you cannot slag someone for saying if they had a point less it would be better.

Have you all all got OCD endlessly banging on about permutations on so many threads. Fck me not that hard to work out the table

We don't all have OCD ... but I did notice you repeated the word "all" in the first sentence.

He said:

A loss tonight would have meant a draw against palace would have been sufficient to finish ahead of Liverpool (barring them beating WBA by three goals).

That is correct.

Great result tonight, absolutely. But you cannot slag someone for saying if they had a point less it would be better.

No think we have our wires crossed.

Liverpool's late goal makes very little difference to us across the vast majority of possible outcomes.

A Saints win Sunday and they can't catch us equaliser tonight or not.

A Saints draw and they win and we can't catch them equaliser tonight or not.

A Saints draw and they draw and it doesn't make any difference

A Saints draw and they lose and it doesn't matter

A Saints defeat and they win and that equaliser makes no difference

A Saints defeat by one goal, and they draw and the positions remain the same too.

In fact, that Benteke goal only matters to Saints if we lose by more than one goal and Liverpool draw. And tbh if we lose I'm comfortable saying it was our fault and nothing to do with a late Benteke equaliser.

Liverpool's late goal makes very little difference to us across the vast majority of possible outcomes.

A Saints win Sunday and they can't catch us equaliser tonight or not.

A Saints draw and they win and we can't catch them equaliser tonight or not.

A Saints draw and they draw and it doesn't make any difference

A Saints draw and they lose and it doesn't matter

A Saints defeat and they win and that equaliser makes no difference

A Saints defeat by one goal, and they draw and the positions remain the same too.

In fact, that Benteke goal only matters to Saints if we lose by more than one goal and Liverpool draw. And tbh if we lose I'm comfortable saying it was our fault and nothing to do with a late Benteke equaliser.

Actually, without the equaliser a draw would have kept us above them, unless they win by 3 goals at WBA. Would have been a handy option to fall back on, should we draw with Palace.

Actually, without the equaliser a draw would have kept us above them, unless they win by 3 goals at WBA. Would have been a handy option to fall back on, should we draw with Palace.

It's a brilliant result for us cmon.

I never said it wasn't. Just that there IS a difference between a Liverpool draw and loss tonight, in terms of the implications for Sunday.

Yep but we will win we are on fire. Also if we knew we could have drawn could have been wrong mentality. We know we need to win now. Stoke fans are desperate for a good performance on weekend as they've been poor recently.

Yep but we will win we are on fire. Also if we knew we could have drawn could have been wrong mentality. We know we need to win now. Stoke fans are desperate for a good performance on weekend as they've been poor recently.

We should win, but won't definitely win.

If we draw and Liverpool win (quite possible) then the Benteke goal could have a huge impact.

It was a good result, absolutely yes. But you can't say the goal makes no difference.

Edited by Saint Charlie

:|

Are you new to Saints?

We should win, but won't definitely win.

If we draw and Liverpool win (quite possible) then the Benteke goal could have a huge impact.

It was a good result, absolutely yes. But you can't say the goal makes no difference.

I think we will win so it won't. My opinion.

Makes barely any difference as a tiny chance of that scenario playing out, nevertheless.

Makes barely any difference as a tiny chance of that scenario playing out, nevertheless.

They beat WBA by 1 or 2 goals and we draw with Palace? Doesn't sound so unlikely to me. In fact I would say it was the second most likely outcome after a win for both of us.

Thinking back to the end if last season, I'm off to put a few quid on Sunderland to win the league next season. 5000/1 I hope.

And if Saints can carry their end-of-season form forward, they're worth a punt too.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie

Glad I'm not the only one (even with my Saints tinted specs on) who thought that there was clear interference by Kane.

Sorry to pick this up a bit late but discussed this on the Spurs Post-Match thread. Interfering with play isn't mentioned in FIFA's off-side interpretation, only 'interfering with an opponent' or 'gaining an advantage'. Kane wasn't penalised as he did neither of those things and it was Son who gained the advantage. It could be an unintended consequence of the interpretation but unless FIFA change it, that's how it is. Even neutrals might feel that the Spurs goal was unfair because Kane's presence in the area affected how the Saints defenders and GK behaved but as the rule stands no offence was committed.

Sorry to pick this up a bit late but discussed this on the Spurs Post-Match thread. Interfering with play isn't mentioned in FIFA's off-side interpretation, only 'interfering with an opponent' or 'gaining an advantage'. Kane wasn't penalised as he did neither of those things and it was Son who gained the advantage. It could be an unintended consequence of the interpretation but unless FIFA change it, that's how it is. Even neutrals might feel that the Spurs goal was unfair because Kane's presence in the area affected how the Saints defenders and GK behaved but as the rule stands no offence was committed.

So, Kane didn't "gain (his team) an advantage" as a result of him "interfering with play"...?

My view: 8th is a great finishing position and we cannot do worse than that.

7th would be greater, 6th greater still, 5th greater greater still still

Win at the weekend please guarantees 7th or better. A great result.

With Leicesters performance, what is the opportunity next year? Why should players leave a challenging club for a "big" club, when that no longer means certianty in imprved position? e.g. Chelsea/Liverpool/Man Ure?Leicester/west Ham/us?

My view: 8th is a great finishing position and we cannot do worse than that.

7th would be greater, 6th greater still, 5th greater greater still still

Win at the weekend please guarantees 7th or better. A great result.

With Leicesters performance, what is the opportunity next year? Why should players leave a challenging club for a "big" club, when that no longer means certianty in imprved position? e.g. Chelsea/Liverpool/Man Ure?Leicester/west Ham/us?

£££££££££

Thinking back to the end if last season, I'm off to put a few quid on Sunderland to win the league next season. 5000/1 I hope.

And if Saints can carry their end-of-season form forward, they're worth a punt too.

The difference is Leicester finished 14th after their brilliant end of season campaign.

We will finish top 8 at least. This makes our players far more sought after than Leicester, and we will probably sell.

In addition, we certainly won't win the League if we qualify for Europe- too many games to juggle and all that.

Finally, let us see how the scouts do this summer :)

Just trying to save you the pound on us doing the unthinkable!

The difference is Leicester finished 14th after their brilliant end of season campaign.

We will finish top 8 at least. This makes our players far more sought after than Leicester, and we will probably sell.

In addition, we certainly won't win the League if we qualify for Europe- too many games to juggle and all that.

Finally, let us see how the scouts do this summer :)

Just trying to save you the pound on us doing the unthinkable!

Never will a EPL be 5,000-1 again, the bookies will have learnt a lesson.

His movement is covered in the Laws Of The Game:

Preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball. For example, by clearly obstructing the goalkeeper’s line of vision or movement.

Making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent.

Never will a EPL be 5,000-1 again, the bookies will have learnt a lesson.

They'd be daft not to IMO. It's not going to happen again. But punters who don't value £1 here and £2 there will think it's worth a go because of Leicester this season. The bookies should milk that attitude for all it's worth.

I am seriously impressed with the attitude of the Toon fans who appear to have taken being relegated very well.

Not sure I could say the same if I had to live through that nightmare again (tbh I probably will at some stage).

After the initial pain it was a bloody great few years, and dare I say more than worth it to be where we are now.

I am seriously impressed with the attitude of the Toon fans who appear to have taken being relegated very well.

Not sure I could say the same if I had to live through that nightmare again (tbh I probably will at some stage).

I expect they're used to it ;)

I remember overhearing a Leicester fan after they were relegated in 1969 saying 'I see it as a chance for restructuring and rebuilding' and sure enough, 47 years later look where they are now!

WTF??? Is that how Europa and Champions League positions are decided, on whether or not you beat Palace? Seriously?

In fairness it sort of is - if we lose to Palace we'll probably finish eighth and miss Europa and if we do beat them to finish seventh but then United lose to them we miss Europa....

I expect they're used to it ;)

I remember overhearing a Leicester fan after they were relegated in 1969 saying 'I see it as a chance for restructuring and rebuilding' and sure enough, 47 years later look where they are now!

I seem to remember a fair few people when we were relegated actually looking forward to the experience of a season in the Championship. Loads of decent new grounds, cheaper tickets, winning loads of games and coming straight back up with half a team of academy products, like Cranie, Mills, Bale, Walcott, Dyer and Surman. Killer was going to get fit, Pahars was going to be the Championship's top scorer... yeah :|

Having said all that, they did it right and came straight back up last time. Just depends whether they do a Burnley or a Wigan.