The New, New, New Manager Thread

St Chalet

There are 2 ways of looking at the time it is taking to annoint a new messiah. Either we are being thorough and diligent in making sure we get the right man (again) or we haven't got a scooby and no one is buying into "the Southampton Way".

I hope it's the former.

We're an attractive proposition and any decent manager would want to manage us but we are making sure we appoint the right person. I'm happy for it to take as long as it takes to interview all the candidates and get the right person I'm. There's no immediate rush at the moment.

There are 2 ways of looking at the time it is taking to annoint a new messiah. Either we are being thorough and diligent in making sure we get the right man (again) or we haven't got a scooby and no one is buying into "the Southampton Way".

I hope it's the former.

FF ask yourself and then tell us what you think. Thorough and diligent is my guess

Yep Silva for me, great record at a small club that had to sell their best players, a good albeit short record at two big clubs, young up and coming coach, plays attacking football, knows the Portuguese league and has experience in Europe.

What's not to like? But I get the impression that it will be Puel. Still WTF do I know? I'll support whoever (within reason).

Wish we had gone for pelligrini now , southampton way or not it would of been seen as positive move for continuing to climb the table and also recruitment .. At moment it seems we are happy with a 6-10th place finish ..

Happy if new manager can prove all this wrong and we do a Leicester

I hope it's the former.

We seem to be in agreement with more and more. I also hoped for a Remain vote.

FF ask yourself and then tell us what you think. Thorough and diligent is my guess

Well, because Reed got it right last time (although Koeman's premature departure showed perhaps he was not as perfect as we all thought) he deserves our patience and trust, but the time it is taking is telling me either the club have been caught on the hop a bit or their chosen candidate is proving awkward to land.

Or he could could still be involved in France.

Jesus Christ. Obviously it isn't.

I've never known hysteria like it.

How is that hysteria, I haven't once come on here bleating and even you lord almighty have stated your worst option or can I not do that.

Let me join the hope it's him brigade despite knowing **** all about them, and as far as saints are concerned it's certainly not obvious

Well, because Reed got it right last time (although Koeman's premature departure showed perhaps he was not as perfect as we all thought) he deserves our patience and trust, but the time it is taking is telling me either the club have been caught on the hop a bit or their chosen candidate is proving awkward to land.

Or he could could still be involved in France.

Or these things just take time

Look how long it took Everton to announce their new manager after most people knew it had been set up a few weeks ago

How is that hysteria, I haven't once come on here bleating and even you lord almighty have stated your worst option or can I not do that.

Let me join the hope it's him brigade despite knowing **** all about them, and as far as saints are concerned it's certainly not obvious

It's not going to be the effing Northern Ireland manager. It's not. Don't worry about it.

Looking at Puels league finishes he did well in his first and fourth (last) year finishing 4th both times however in his second season he only just stayed up by 2 points :uhoh:

and then 11th (out of 18teams) in his 3rd season.

Looking like it's going to be him, hope Les has pulled another rabbit out of the hat!

Can I put this question out there, what are the reasons people are disappointed? I've not seen anyone state a valid reason for being underwhelmed or disappointed, so I'd be interested to know why people feel this way as I'm a bit confused.

My third choice from all names mentioned- desperately wanted Pellegrini or Garcia but I will support him ofc.

I honestly don't know why I am worried about relegation with this guy! With Garcia or Pellegrini I would've thought we will be guaranteed a few more top 10 finishes!

Le Meltdown

Tweets I posted about Puel:

Yes I can tell you i've been watching French football for 10 years. Worried Puel doesn't fit with our philosophy

In general, plays a very defensive style,boring football, that's why he was booted out of Lyon disagreements with Aulas

Last year Nice played attractive football but this was mainly due to the form of Ben Arfa. Puel got the best out of him.

Not sure he is perfect fit, blows hot and cold 4th with Nice then 11th and 17th the 2 previous seasons. He also has 2 sons

he insisted on playing them. One left to Le Havre and one is still at Nice. Reminds me of Pulis with his son Anthony

Tweets I posted about Puel:

Yes I can tell you i've been watching French football for 10 years. Worried Puel doesn't fit with our philosophy

In general, plays a very defensive style,boring football, that's why he was booted out of Lyon disagreements with Aulas

Last year Nice played attractive football but this was mainly due to the form of Ben Arfa. Puel got the best out of him.

Not sure he is perfect fit, blows hot and cold 4th with Nice then 11th and 17th the 2 previous seasons. He also has 2 sons

he insisted on playing them. One left to Le Havre and one is still at Nice. Reminds me of Pulis with his son Anthony

How does finishing 17th, then 11th, then 4th* (and just two points off 2nd) suggest he blows hot and cold?

It suggests that he rebuilt the side he inherited and turned them into a top four side over a two-year period, and used youth and built an exciting style.

I'm confused how you've said 'hot and cold'...

* - with the youngest squad and with an exciting style of play

** - his oldest outfield is 33 year old Bodmer, next oldest is 28 - most of the squad is 18-25

Edited by Saint-Armstrong

Let's hope this turns out as well as the last one who underwhelmed you then, eh?

He surely can't be that poor.

As Long as he gets the best out of what he has at his disposal on the field and off it Puel will get my backing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I put this question out there, what are the reasons people are disappointed? I've not seen anyone state a valid reason for being underwhelmed or disappointed, so I'd be interested to know why people feel this way as I'm a bit confused.

I bet it's because:

1) They've not heard of him.

2) They think of Remi Garde.

so, anyone follow french football want to give us the run-down on this fella? (not someone who has all of a sudden become a french football expert in the last 2 hours)

any good, have we got a hidden gem. style of play

windows, you there?

Stupid of Saints to leak news of big names like Pellegrini and Garcia and then appoint an unknown French manager with a patchy CV. I was hoping we'd use our current standing to make a blue chip appointment but we haven't.

Can't see that Puel will be a big enough name to keep hold of Mane etc. Can see a summer of upheaval which will set us back. Big gamble.

Stupid of Saints to leak news of big names like Pellegrini and Garcia and then appoint an unknown French manager with a patchy CV. I was hoping we'd use our current standing to make a blue chip appointment but we haven't.

Can't see that Puel will be a big enough name to keep hold of Mane etc. Can see a summer of upheaval which will set us back. Big gamble.

Fair enough if that's how you see it. I see it as...

'Can't see that Southampton will be a big enough name (with high enough pay structure) to keep hold of Mane etc.'