The how much will we spend in the summer thread

Avenue Saint

30m is a good amount, should be enough to help give us a solid chance of 8th/9th place finish next season if it is spent wisely.

I think that would be a pretty poor return personally. We are pretty much 11th going in to the final game of the season, albeit a point off. Spending £30m to go from 11th to 9th would be quite disappointing and would mean very little improvement on our current squad. Without our terrible start we'd probably be about 8th or 9th anyway.

30m is a good amount, should be enough to help give us a solid chance of 8th/9th place finish next season if it is spent wisely.

I think that would be a pretty poor return personally. We are pretty much 11th going in to the final game of the season, albeit a point off. Spending £30m to go from 11th to 9th would be quite disappointing and would mean very little improvement on our current squad. Without our terrible start we'd probably be about 8th or 9th anyway.

In the 27 league games from the start of November 2012, Saints have averaged 1.33 points per game. Over a 38 games season that is 50 points and is top 8 form.

Edited by Matthew Le God

The difference in quality between WBA in 8th and Liverpool in 7th was quite large this season. Then again Everton have lost Moyes and may well lose Baines and Fellaini and their is no guarantee that whoever takes control at Everton will be as good at replacing them as Moyes was. So yeah, 7th is possible perhaps.

In the 27 league games from the start of November 2012, Saints have averaged 1.33 points per game. Over a 38 games season that is 50 points and is top 8 form.

Top 8 form it may be, but in the end the squad couldn't do it consistently and managed to book end an impressive mid season with a poor beginning and end. We should try and make sure we have a squad capable of playing to top 8 standard for the whole 38 games before we start getting carried away.

Edited by MOSaint

Out of curiousity does anyone have a rough idea of hour much we can expect to make next season compared to this?

I heard during the Arsenal v Wigan game that the team that finishes bottom next season gets about the same in prize money as City did winning the league last season...

Top 8 form it may be, but in the end the squad couldn't do it consistently and managed to book end an impressive mid season with a poor beginning and end. We should try and make sure we have a squad capable of playing to top 8 standard for the whole 38 games before we start getting carried away.

Next season we won't have to adapt to the Premier League in the opening 10 games, that has already happened.

Next season we won't have to adapt to the Premier League in the opening 10 games, that has already happened.

We haven't exactly finished this season badly either. Okay no win in 5 but drawing at Swansea and Sunderland is a decent enough result. Most teams will lose at WHL and we were the better team. West Ham at home... meh. The West Brom game was the only real disappointment.

I don't know if that can be completely credited to adaptation, I'd say Shaw coming into the side and displacing Fox, a player clearly not up to PL standard and Cork coming in and replacing Davis, who looked uncomfortable at DM had a lot to do with it too. If next season we have stronger squad options to cover injuries/suspensions to first team players we 7th/8th is a reasonable target.

It wouldn't be impossible to finish higher than that given a lot of our best players at an age where they can still improve, but we will need our transfer committee to do a hell of a job. The difference in quality between the top 6 and the rest is something not to be underestimated.

OK, I'll have a go! By my reckonning we currently have 38 professionals on the books? Three (Chambers, Stephens and Gazzaniga) are 'futures' and it has been said (I can't remember by whom) that 15 will go so that leaves a nett 20 left who are good enough as they formed the basis of our team this year that survived in the Prem. We will need a minimum squad of 25, especially as the demands of our game are physically high and we will need to rest and rotate so that means 5 in. To be good enough to improve the squad we will have to pay an average of £10m? So my guess is c£50m and yes, I am sure we can afford it, even if we have to factor the TV money by getting an advance from the BVI! If 15 go out and 5 come in and the new ones are on, say 4 times as much as thiose going out, the nett increase in the wage bill is also affordable. I believe those thinking Fox, Hooiveld, Guly, etc will be going will be disappointed as they will form an essential part of the squad for next season. As for which positions will the new 5 fill? I have no idea, I'll let the transfer committee decide on that!

Over the last 5 games we've average 0.6 points. Over a 38 game season that would see us relegated with one of the lowest points tallies ever.

We spent around £30M - £35M last season, and half the players we brought in have been periphery figures. And around £20M of that outlay was spent on players who finished the season either prdominantly on the subs bench or not making the matchday squad at all (Ramirez, Forren, Mayuka, Gazzaniga).

If we spend £30M+ (and I think we will) there are some lessons to be learnt from this season's dealings. Some have been a great success (Clyne, Boruc), some have been a good addition all season long (Yoshida, Davis), some have performed in fits and starts (Rodriguez), others have not yet made the impact hoped of them. People bang on about being given players more time to settle; but if the manager has a bountiful transfer kitty at his disposal and can bring in someone to do a better job, then its the only way we'll improve.

Come on guys, it's Saints - we'll pick up a few frees, maybe one big signing, and retain all the players that keep us fans up at night! Cardiff will sign Messi and we'll be talking about "the next Messi" picked up from non-league for thirty quid. Who'll be kept out of the side by Guly.

Aim low. I've just got my hopes on proper stripes next season :)

Shed loads....and not just on the team. Watch this space.

That's nothing new, we have been doing that since the takeover (relative to the league we were in). It's just that the financial muscle is now about to be really flexed on the pitch & off it. Enjoy the ride folks!

At least 5 signings needed IMO.

GK: I think we can get through a season with Boruc, Davis and Gazzaniga so I doubt we'll be signing a Keeper, unless something special comes up. (Like Hart at a cut price £2million or something along those ridiculous lines.)

RB/LB: With Richardson and Fox currently the back ups, both positions need strengthening. And by that I mean trying to buy BETTER than Clyne and Shaw. If that's possible. It's a long, hard season and we need strength in both these positions, and not Yoshida/Cork/Jos/Forren playing out of position. One signing for both positions would suffice if that particular player came available.

CB: Well Yoshi, Jos, and Fonte can all do jobs, and of course we've brought Forren in for the long term, I would say we still need one more strong centre back. Top class one too.

DM: Cork and Morgan are an exceptional combo, but after them we're relying on JWP or Davis playing out of position. A new DM would provide excellent competition.

AM: Lallana, JRod, Puncheon, Davis and Ramirez can all do jobs here, but I do think we're one short in this position. A proper playmaker with an eye for goal.

STR: Rickie won't last forever, and without him we're very short, either playing JRod up there or Mayuka who hasn't shone all season. New Striker needed.

So that's a new RB/LB, CB, DM, AM, and STR needed and possibly even more if any of the "jewels" leave. This could be an expensive summer - I just hope we can find cheap little gold signings like Clyne, Davis and Yoshida.

Come on guys, it's Saints - we'll pick up a few frees, maybe one big signing, and retain all the players that keep us fans up at night! Cardiff will sign Messi and we'll be talking about "the next Messi" picked up from non-league for thirty quid. Who'll be kept out of the side by Guly.

Aim low. I've just got my hopes on proper stripes next season :)

You're going to have to aim lower then. :(

Southampton's Biggest Summer Transfer Window Needs to Move Saints into Top 10

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1644549-southamptons-biggest-summer-transfer-window-needs-to-move-saints-into-top-10?

Aside from the Americanisms (Outside Back!) I like reading the Bleacher Report. For an American outfit, they know their Premier League, and their knowledge of our youngsters show more studying of Saints than some British journos do.

Aside from the Americanisms (Outside Back!) I like reading the Bleacher Report. For an American outfit, they know their Premier League, and their knowledge of our youngsters show more studying of Saints than some British journos do.

They say Stephens is playing right back and Chambers is a defensive midfielder. That is not where they've been playing for Saints. Stephens is a centre back for Saints normally and Chambers is playing at right back for both England and Saints.

They say Stephens is playing right back and Chambers is a defensive midfielder. That is not where they've been playing for Saints. Stephens is a centre back for Saints normally and Chambers is playing at right back for both England and Saints.

Well Stephens was a right back until his recent conversion, one would think he could still play there. I'm still not sure how many of our youngsters are ready to make the step up, a la Shaw and JWP, though it was good to see Chambers and Isgrove on the bench today.

@bigadamsport: #saintsfc Pochettino 2nite - asked by @SimonPeach about Shaw-to-Chelsea reports, said maybe CFC should worry about him buying their players!

Haha!

Love it!

Smacks of fearless confidence!!

Our fortunes have truly done a 360.

Blessed times indeed...

Crikey. Are you thinking £47m on Cavani and the rest reclaiming Bridge, Ormerod and Danny Higginbotham?

I suspect Ormerod would pay us for a game now, watched him miss a couple of sitters at Wembley the other week when Wrexham lost the Conference Play Off Final, very kind of him to pay all those Newport fans back for knocking us (!) out of the FA Cup in 2001/2 with Blackpool, the week before signing for Saints.

My guess is in line with the cost of signing Ramirez, and the kind of players we'll need to be signing in order to move towards the Chairman's stated goal of top 6 football.

Why I believe this as a football fan who's heard it all before everywhere else, I don't know. But Cortese's record of delivering on his promises of league success are to be treated seriously, even if we all realise what a massive gap that is at the moment.

Edited by The9

I said around 35m at the weekend.

Had a little look at what that could get you (assuming we sign players we're linked to now, complete with rumoured prices, give or take a couple of million)

DC - Astori (£9m)

DL - ?

DR - Gamez (£5m)

DMC - Wanyama (£10m)

AMC - Verdu (Free)

AMRL / SC - Sinclair / Lens (£4m)

-----------------------------------------

Total 28m

Not bad going. Still leaves some dosh for a left-back.

• 2 months later...
So that's a new RB/LB, CB, DM, AM, and STR needed and possibly even more if any of the "jewels" leave.

Ok so I'm greedy, but while we've signed a CB, DM and STR, I'd still like to see us actively looking for an attacking creative midfielder. With Fox still here and Chambers performing so well on his debut, we may be OK for a full back - unless we can sign someone like Naughton that could do both capably. I didn't put an amount but I'd have guessed £30-£40 million. If we top that we're really making a push for Europe.