Sam McQueen - like an F1 tyre change ....

david in sweden

One thing which has been quite evident is the team has been trying to avoid playing it to macqueen as he is young and needs to learn - but, he's been ****ing great.

I would much rather see him and tadic linking up than tadic and martina.

When we get back Bertrand and clasie fully we will be a much better side.

I seriously think there is a case that McQueen is a better option than Bertrand on current form.

McQueen has been great..but please don't think he's better than Bertrand who is probably the best left back in the league. He's probably a better option than Targett though.

I seriously think there is a case that McQueen is a better option than Bertrand on current form.

Thats a very big statement. Personally I don't agree. I would go further and say that Targett is a better defender than SM by far. MT doesn't get skinned as easily as McQueen. (McQueen seems to make good decisions with the ball though to his credit) People have been giving Targett stick ever since his debut and I've always said he's a young player, give him time to develop. I'll give McQueen the same treatment, it must be a massive learning curve coming from Southend/Saints u23's.

No way is he as good as Bertrand though who just needs a couple of games to get his sharpness back.

Where Bertrand is brilliant is playing a pass and then running into space behind the opposing full back to either get it back and putting a dangerous cross into the centre of the box or having a go himself, or taking a defender away with him. Sam has yet to master that particular aspect to his game.

However in saying that, he has been brilliant since responding to the call and Claude clearly likes and trusts him to give him so much game time.

So far this season he has been our most promising find and he has a great future with us.

As we are short in the forward dept maybe give him a game up front if Bertrand is full-back?

He's never been a striker though. We have Austin/Redmond/Jay avaliable, so unless everyone falls dead overnight, that's never going to happen. In fact Tadic would probably play as a false nine before that.

What have you seen in Mcqueen that makes you think he's a striker???

....if he can turn in another good performance v. Man.City.... then he'll certainly give Matt Targett a run for his money as second choice LB.

Its a very small sample I know, but from what I have seen, McQueen is a much better option than Targett. I'd be very disappointed to See Targett selected ahead of him. They both have a decent touch and composure on the ball. Both put in a decent cross, but only one offers the required pace and strength at this level. Targett may get stronger, but he will never have pace. Targett only looked good when we hid him in a 3-5-2 and he wasn't asked to go one on one with an attacker. when he was he was taken to pieces by Zaha. Loaning at Targett in January might be a good idea.

He's never been a striker though. We have Austin/Redmond/Jay avaliable, so unless everyone falls dead overnight, that's never going to happen. In fact Tadic would probably play as a false nine before that.

Err - he has played upfront for the U21s for the last two seasons solidly. You seem very quick to be the smart arse these days, it does not become you.

I don't think that's the point he's making. I think it's that we can basically play McQueen wide left and have the other two a bit more central.

If it comes to the point where everyone adjusting to our lack of wingers is a problem - then yeah it's a good shout.

Err - he has played upfront for the U21s for the last two seasons solidly. You seem very quick to be the smart arse these days, it does not become you.

No he hasn't. He's never been a striker or played "upfront".

He was a wide attacking midfielder.

He's only a "striker" or an "upfront" player if you think Adam Lallana, Eden Hazard or Dusan Tadic are "strikers".

Where you may have a point though, is that Puel doesn't seem too fussed about playing traditional "strikers" in the "striker" position.

No he hasn't. He's never been a striker or played "upfront".

He was a wide attacking midfielder.

He's only a "striker" or an "upfront" player if you think Adam Lallana, Eden Hazard or Dusan Tadic are "strikers".

Where you may have a point though, is that Puel doesn't seem too fussed about playing traditional "strikers" in the "striker" position.

He has. For Southend he was used up front through the middle, and as FF says he played up top for our u21's. In his youth days he was more of a winger.

He's played as a wide player, you can see those attributes in him. I'd have no problem playing him in front of Bertrand in a left attacking position, but not as a out and out striker.

Well who plays with "out and out" strikers these days? I maintain we are struggling up front at present and HCDJFU if needed if Bertrand ousts him from the starting line-up. Versatility and all that?

This Targett vs McQueen vs Bertrand......would anyone agree that Matty is the best crosser of the ball? He puts in some sublime balls, or is my judgement clouded by those sublime balls when usually they are crap?

Yep I'd agree with that ... well 'as good' a crosser as Bertrand anyway. Cant understand why people are always on Mattys back, he always delivers for us and is so much more than simply 'cover' for Bertrand.

Sam was regularly played as striker by Martin Hunter in the U21s when he was 19/20. He also played left wing right wing and in the hole. He started life at saints as a left back converted to winger when Luke Shaw was advised to move to left back to get into the first team. At Southend he had his debut as a centre mid. He then played in the hole, as a roving single winger, right back and left midfield. Phil Brown didn't know where to play him. His favourite position was right wing as he likes to come in on his left foot to shoot. He would have loved to have been given more time playing number 10. He's really enjoying the learning process of playing left wing back but seriously would love to be allowed to be in the box for corners. He has an excellent understanding of the game and is extremely observant. He will keep learning as long as he feels challenged. This is what Koeman didn't allow for, or maybe he didn't realise but then he never talked to Sam to find out.

Yep I'd agree with that ... well 'as good' a crosser as Bertrand anyway. Cant understand why people are always on Mattys back, he always delivers for us and is so much more than simply 'cover' for Bertrand.

He is literally just cover for Bertrand. There is a huge drop in quality between Bertrand and Targett.

McQueen has been a big upgrade on Targett of late and has lessened the impact of Bertrand being out. He just seems more assured and better physically suited to this level of football than MT.

No slight on Matt. PL is a harsh world and Targett struggles in many games at that level.

Sam was regularly played as striker by Martin Hunter in the U21s when he was 19/20. He also played left wing right wing and in the hole. He started life at saints as a left back converted to winger when Luke Shaw was advised to move to left back to get into the first team. At Southend he had his debut as a centre mid. He then played in the hole, as a roving single winger, right back and left midfield. Phil Brown didn't know where to play him. His favourite position was right wing as he likes to come in on his left foot to shoot. He would have loved to have been given more time playing number 10. He's really enjoying the learning process of playing left wing back but seriously would love to be allowed to be in the box for corners. He has an excellent understanding of the game and is extremely observant. He will keep learning as long as he feels challenged. This is what Koeman didn't allow for, or maybe he didn't realise but then he never talked to Sam to find out.

Assuming you are family, be proud - he has been great. Also seems like an intelligent lad who comes across superbly. That clearly helps his football.

...all this banter about Sam's best position is pedantic to say the least. The lad is talented and versatile, and if he continues to DAJFU.....then I for one, feel relaxed about seeing his name on the team sheet and I don't particularly care where Puel plays him.....

Accordingly, Sam can be a left back, left wing, right wing, striker or even number 10. Gaffer would be happy to have him on the bench as a substitute for different positions.

The new Paul Warhurst...

Exactly what I thought. There's nothing better than watching an academy boy thrive and Koeman didn't really deliver any of those moments. Maybe he would have done had Hesketh stayed fit.

Harry Reed had a very good game, then inexplicably disappeared from Kerman's plans, which was unfortunate. That was when I realised he wasn't interested in our Academy players.

Harry Reed had a very good game, then inexplicably disappeared from Kerman's plans, which was unfortunate.

That was when I realised he wasn't interested in our Academy players.

To be fair....I think Reed would have had a problem getting ahead of Wanyama or Romeu last season, and by the time we found form again in the Spring, Koeman (or anyone else) wouldn't have wanted to experiment with a new face if it meant leaving out one of the established names. The midfield was fairly settled with Clasie, David, Tadic and occasionally Romeu and both Reed and hesketh were the backbone of the U21's last season.

Sadly, the U21s had avery poor season and won only once in eleven starts so no-one would have got any glory from that.

Koeman may have deliberately avoided U21's starlets at the time, but TBF....I watched most of the U21 screened matches on YouTube and very few of them covered themselves in glory I'm afraid.

...all this banter about Sam's best position is pedantic to say the least. The lad is talented and versatile, and if he continues to DAJFU.....then I for one, feel relaxed about seeing his name on the team sheet and I don't particularly care where Puel plays him.....

That certainly is the case with me. I see his name on the sheet and am not worried. Sure he is learning and no doubt will be caught out on occasions, but he seems to have taken to the task at hand pretty well and without any fuss.

• 3 weeks later...