Saints v Middlesbrough Match thread!

Gunnery

This is why I hesitate when people just see we don't score goals and say "we have to get a striker". Austin has been scoring fine, Long has showed he can score just last year, and Jay Rod has shown he can score when healthy. Forwards make runs to get open and need to score when they get service on those runs. If the midfield is not hitting them, supporting them, or attacking at all, the strikers are isolated and can't do anything. Its a team game and everyone has a role. I think our issue is more the offensive side of the midfield game.

So in summary to this, I think losing Mane was the issue. Redmond isn't close, Tadic is ok, and Boufal is ok, but Mane scored 11 goals and created more chances.

This is why I hesitate when people just see we don't score goals and say "we have to get a striker". Austin has been scoring fine, Long has showed he can score just last year, and Jay Rod has shown he can score when healthy. Forwards make runs to get open and need to score when they get service on those runs. If the midfield is not hitting them, supporting them, or attacking at all, the strikers are isolated and can't do anything. Its a team game and everyone has a role. I think our issue is more the offensive side of the midfield game.

We are fecked mate.

1.) WE HAVE MASSIVELY WEAKENED THE FIRST 11 THIS SEASON - and that is Les Reed's fault.

2.) Puels tactics do not work, we do not create chances, we do not put the opposition under pressure, force mistakes etc. Instead they just wait for us to mess it up and hit us.... and we do, alot!

3.) Reed got rid of Koeman.... and missed every other mangerial appointment target before hiring Puel... That is a complete list of cluster fooks that shows how out of his depth he is... That or it is purely all about the money. Either way if he doesn't turn it around by May he will have done irreparable harm to the fanbase. He has survived selling fan favourites because Koeman carried him to great finishes and gave us Mane, Pelle, Toby, Tadic, VVD etc. But reed's recruitment has been far inferior and its showing now. He wanted to take all the credit and "do a cortese" by putting himself all over the media... well the reverse side of that is when you **** up massively (this summer) you get dropped kicked out the door. I for one can't wait for that man to get the hell out of the club.

Boro are a very organised side, but for some reason some members of this forum think we should be smashing them...

We've failed to beat (in the league) Watford, Hull, Leicester (crap until this weekend), Sunderland and Palace (the worst form team in the universe) so far this season. Wins are not guaranteed v anyone.

Clearly something wrong. Could it be one or a number of the following reasons;

* Manager

* Confidence

* Missing a big powerul striker like Pelle

* Missing a strong powerful FAST player like Mane

* Behind the Scenes problems ?

* Tiredness from European and Cup games ?

* Other

I don't think we have the players.......Martina, Clasie, JWP..

These 3 are ok on their day, but should be seen as back ups for Cedric, Hojbjerg, Davis. Not bad for back ups, I'd say.

Time we stopped the constant rotation and played a more consistent 1st XI, with maybe 2 or 3 changes when needed.

These 3 are ok on their day, but should be seen as back ups for Cedric, Hojbjerg, Davis. Not bad for back ups, I'd say.

Time we stopped the constant rotation and played a more consistent 1st XI, with maybe 2 or 3 changes when needed.

there will be 6+ rotated for the midweek game. you can count on that

Frustrating half. A few positives. J-Rod looking sharp to me. Had one gorgeous flick at goal. Boufal clearly capable of magic. Screw-ups too, but real magic.

Clasie has been aggressive winning the ball (but frustrating in front of goal). Amazing recovery by VVD after JWP's horror pass back. Tadic one or two genius moves along the goal line... None of it quite clicking though.

But give Middlesborough some credit. They have an impressive high-press working, and it's unsettled us. It feels like being the other end of what Poch worked at Saints. Hoping they can figure out second half. That high-press strategy is tiring. Just maybe we come into it more as the game wears on.

We sit too far back and in possession our play is so damn slow and predictable. There's no depth on the pitch, all players want the ball in the feet and no one makes runs. You can exactly predict where the ball will go when Fonte or Virgil have the ball and then you can the draw the whole build up play before it even happens.

Too slow, too static, too predictable.

BOOING at half time...just like the skates do...very helpful :uhoh:

When you're sat here watching this total bore fest I believe you're entitled to voice your opinion as you've splashed the cash.

Nothing to get excited about at all. Horrible on the eye, my 8 and 6 year olds want to go home - dad this is boring, can we go now?

I'm going to get done for child abuse by making them watch the 2nd half ?

Total boring football. Fix it or depart Mr Puel. Please.

We are fecked mate.

1.) WE HAVE MASSIVELY WEAKENED THE FIRST 11 THIS SEASON - and that is Les Reed's fault.

2.) Puels tactics do not work, we do not create chances, we do not put the opposition under pressure, force mistakes etc. Instead they just wait for us to mess it up and hit us.... and we do, alot!

3.) Reed got rid of Koeman.... and missed every other mangerial appointment target before hiring Puel... That is a complete list of cluster fooks that shows how out of his depth he is... That or it is purely all about the money. Either way if he doesn't turn it around by May he will have done irreparable harm to the fanbase. He has survived selling fan favourites because Koeman carried him to great finishes and gave us Mane, Pelle, Toby, Tadic, VVD etc. But reed's recruitment has been far inferior and its showing now. He wanted to take all the credit and "do a cortese" by putting himself all over the media... well the reverse side of that is when you **** up massively (this summer) you get dropped kicked out the door. I for one can't wait for that man to get the hell out of the club.

LOL!!! It's 0-0 at half time!!?

We sit too far back and in possession our play is so damn slow and predictable. There's no depth on the pitch, all players want the ball in the feet and no one makes runs. You can exactly predict where the ball will go when Fonte or Virgil have the ball and then you can the draw the whole build up play before it even happens.

Too slow, too static, too predictable.

This really is the problem - there is zero mid-field run in this line up. Davis has to come on.

Clearly something wrong. Could it be one or a number of the following reasons;

* Manager

* Confidence

* Missing a big powerul striker like Pelle

* Missing a strong powerful FAST player like Mane

* Behind the Scenes problems ?

* Tiredness from European and Cup games ?

* Other

Definitely those three.

We've played some of the best football we ever have under puel, he is experienced and a great coach. It's not the system, it's not player quality, I think it is just a lack of confidence. It is only 2 or 3 games ago we were expecting us to thrash someone sooner or later. I think once we get a goal or two we will get back to winning ways.

I think puel is the best manager we could have for bringing through the youth, we shouldn't let him go.