Goalkeeping coach Dave Watson

Nordic Saint

All of the goalkeepers at the club seem to be getting worse under the coaching of Dave Watson. In his capacity as England goalkeeping coach appointed by Roy Hodgson he even seemed to have an influence in wrecking the seemingly impregnable Joe Hart's career. I'm not sure that it's ever a good idea to take any coach from the awful England FA coaching setup, even though Dave Watson did at least play fro Barnsley, in contrast with many others, like Les Reed, who had no league experience.

One thing I've noticed with our goalies is that they have become much more hesitant. Watson seems to have go them thinking too much about where they are going to place the ball before they get it. He's also made them reluctant to come off the line for crosses. In his pre-match warmups he lobs the ball to them so that they never have to come more than a yard off their line.

Watson has had long enough to be judged now as well as in his last job at Norwich, and he's failed. Time for him to go.

All of the goalkeepers at the club seem to be getting worse under the coaching of Dave Watson. In his capacity as England goalkeeping coach appointed by Roy Hodgson he even seemed to have an influence in wrecking the seemingly impregnable Joe Hart's career. I'm not sure that it's ever a good idea to take any coach from the awful England FA coaching setup, even though Dave Watson did at least play fro Barnsley, in contrast with many others, like Les Reed, who had no league experience.

One thing I've noticed with our goalies is that they have become much more hesitant. Watson seems to have go them thinking too much about where they are going to place the ball before they get it. He's also made them reluctant to come off the line for crosses. In his pre-match warmups he lobs the ball to them so that they never have to come more than a yard off their line.

Watson has had long enough to be judged now as well as in his last job at Norwich, and he's failed. Time for him to go.

Agreed wont happen though, he's here to stay like the rest of them

We're you concerned previously when Forster was in fine form? Watson has been at the club for a while, he suddenly hasn't become a bad coach. All players including GKs have bad runs of form.

Sorry but this criticism seems a bit over the top maybe the timing of your post reflects the sort of rabid foaming at the mouth some fans are showing at the minute turning on Puel and some of the players. Imho

We're you concerned previously when Forster was in fine form? Watson has been at the club for a while, he suddenly hasn't become a bad coach. All players including GKs have bad runs of form.

Sorry but this criticism seems a bit over the top maybe the timing of your post reflects the sort of rabid foaming at the mouth some fans are showing at the minute turning on Puel and some of the players. Imho

Tomorrow he can start a thread slagging off someone else like Radhi Jaidi and then move onto some youth coaches and perhaps the lady on the reception desk.

Is there anyone left at the club that you do like? How about supporting and getting behind the club rather than having someone to blame! Looking at the highlights yesterday there was a nasty bobble when the ball was played back to Harry Lewis... or did Dave Watson strategically make that happen?

I think it is pertinent and needs to be looked at. None of our keepers have improved under his stewardship. He is of small stature and so he is not somebody who would have dominated the area and so fails to teach the keepers to do so. Forsters size is a massive advantage and we fail to use it. Surely it is logical to practice coming out and dominating the area. This take the pressure off the defence and also makes somebody crossing the ball having to really think about it and so move the ball further out of the danger area

**** off, theres so absolute cracking coaches at the FA!

I don't think the club has had a good keeping coach since David Coles

Completely agree with you. I have long thought Dave Watson wasn't getting any progress from our goalkeepers. Even Artur Boruc has progressed since he went to Bournemouth yet our lot get worse by the month. Really time for the club to sort out our goalkeeper training and to bring in keepers who live up to playing in the Premier League

Strange how this has turned in the last couple of weeks.

Let's not forget that his arrival in 2014 was considered something of a coup when we brought him in, and there was great joy on here when last summer we held on to him with a new contract when many on here were concerned he'd be lured away by RK.

Strange how this has turned in the last couple of weeks.

Let's not forget that his arrival in 2014 was considered something of a coup when we brought him in, and there was great joy on here when last summer we held on to him with a new contract when many on here were concerned he'd be lured away by RK.

RK didn't want to take him , tells you something. Also as he came from the england set up probably made people think it was a coup

I don't think the club has had a good keeping coach since David Coles

Looking at your location were you possibly his neighbour?

He wasn't that great, Niemi was a pretty damn fine keeper when he came to us, his man of the match debut performance v Charlton, in particular the save he should never have got to from a blistering free kick from Janssen showed that, and he had only been with the club a few days. Paul Jones was always a good shot stopper first season with us voted fans player of the season after his first season based heavily on that ability, he had already showed us that ability when in goal for Stockport County in the league cup.

With Jones second season oppos strikers had sussed him out, he was still stopping amazing shots but as he was not catching them the immediate second shot was invariably whistling past him.

To cut a long story short, I ended up chatting with Coles, thanks to someone else setting me up to comment in his earshot, which got a reaction. He went for me verbally, nothing obscene just wanting to put me straight. Among other things, the chance came. I pointed out that Jones was stopping fine shots but they were all being parried out forwards, and attacking opposition had worked this out and were capitalising on it. Told him to watch the tapes, then look at Bartez for United who saved the shots but always parried them out to the left and right and away from danger. The next week Stone the Crows, Jonah is stopping the shots and they are going left and right.

Not saying he wasn't any good, just as has been said already he had "good tools" to work with.

He is at Bristol City now.

One observation with Dave Watson this season (and mentioned elsewhere) he doesn't seem as active as he was under Koeman in handing out instruction from the technical area.

:lol:

Is it just me but Fazer seemed more dominting of his area last night? On 2 or 3 occasions he came and took a cross. Very pleasing and made the night much calmer for our defence.

Coincidence perhaps,but if they have been working on his work taking crosses all the better

Is it just me but Fazer seemed more dominting of his area last night? On 2 or 3 occasions he came and took a cross. Very pleasing and made the night much calmer for our defence.

Coincidence perhaps,but if they have been working on his work taking crosses all the better

The same thought about more claiming of crosses popped in to my head. I put it down to a few very loopy, close to the keeper things that he had no choice to go for rather than a clear attempt to dominate his area. Could be wrong obviously

It was Dappy who told Fazer to come for the crosses. Know's his football that boy. Rubbish singer though.

The same thought about more claiming of crosses popped in to my head. I put it down to a few very loopy, close to the keeper things that he had no choice to go for rather than a clear attempt to dominate his area. Could be wrong obviously

No, I'm almost 100% certain it was actually down to he and Watson finally getting around to reading some of the thoughts of the sage contributors on here and acting on them! ;-)

There are some unbelievably weird posts on here from time to time but I think this is the strangest yet. Point 1 is that our keepers have most emphatically not been getting worse. Forster remains an excellent keeper who had a couple of weird games in which his kicking was awful. Yesterday he didn't put a foot wrong. Our reserve keeper has improved immeasurably since joining us - recognized by his call up to the national squad. Similarly Lewis has made great strides forward which is why he has been being included more often. Whether or not this is down to Watson's excellent coaching; opportunity or in Lewis's case simply experience is anyone's guess.

There are some unbelievably weird posts on here from time to time but I think this is the strangest yet. Point 1 is that our keepers have most emphatically not been getting worse. Forster remains an excellent keeper who had a couple of weird games in which his kicking was awful. Yesterday he didn't put a foot wrong. Our reserve keeper has improved immeasurably since joining us - recognized by his call up to the national squad. Similarly Lewis has made great strides forward which is why he has been being included more often. Whether or not this is down to Watson's excellent coaching; opportunity or in Lewis's case simply experience is anyone's guess.

I know. I think some of the more unhinged posters are suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder following an enjoyable win last night. They can't cope, and there are some notable AWOL posters that usually dominate on here during this last 24 hours. Bliss! So I would see this "let's go find a coach to sack" thread in that light

I really can't see any improvement in our goalkeepers. You obviously see things differently and you are entitled to. I don't feel the need to insult you or call you weird because of that.

This post lost all credibility when you called Forster an excellent keeper.

Hugo Lloris is an excellent keeper, Petr Cech is an excellent keeper, Asmir Begovic is an excellent keeper. Fraser is average at best, even Tom Heaton is a better keeper.

Just seen this stat on the SSN article looking at Claudio Bravo's performance. Forster's numbers given as well. Apols for the formatting.

Percentage of shots on target faced conceded - Premier League (min 10 games)

Player Club Percentage conceded

Tom Heaton Burnley 23.7%

Hugo Lloris Tottenham 26%

Jordan Pickford Sunderland 27%

- - -

Claudio Bravo Man City 42.6%

Fraser Forster Southampton 43.3%

Lukasz Fabianski Swansea 43.75%

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2303[/ATTACH]

Not good enough.

Strange that, because Lee Grant has been superb by all accounts, to the extent that he's getting a permanent deal from Stoke as a result, yet there he is with the same shots/goals ratio. The use of "last 22 shots" is almost certainly chosen to make Bravo look as bad as possible though - and of course there's that complexity around where the shots are from and how pressurised the striker is, etc which makes these kind of things pretty useless for analysing goalkeepers in isolation...

The U23s goalie Parkes was awful tonight. Something needs to be done about the goalkeeping coaching at the club:

https://twitter.com/SouthamptonFC?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

You do realise that Adam's only 17 years old and been promoted from the U18 squad as Harry Lewis has been promoted to full squad at the moment. I don't get to watch the U18/U23's having moved North, but who do we have as back up in the U23 squad?

You do realise that Adam's only 17 years old and been promoted from the U18 squad as Harry Lewis has been promoted to full squad at the moment. I don't get to watch the U18/U23's having moved North, but who do we have as back up in the U23 squad?

Alex McCarthy would be first choice for U23s if not injured, then Harry Lewis and Stuart Taylor, after that Parkes and Alex Cull who are both U18s.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still not seeing the improvement in any of them, even Harry Lewis. Maybe the best thing for him will be, like Gazzaniga, to go out on loan so he can work with another goalkeeping coach.

• 2 months later...

If we had a decent goalkeeping coach, he would surely tell Forster to stand in front of his goal line instead of behind it. The recurring problem of Forster standing behind his line happened yet again for City's first goal. When the oppostion are pressing for a goal, he often retreats more than a foot into his goal, from which position he can save nothing.

I get to ground the at The Chapel as the goalkeepers warm up.

It is the same ritual every time, slow warm up, then Dave Watson takes every kick towards the goalkeeper then brushes his hair.

I don't see any communication.

It all looks like 'look at me, David Watson'.

I get to ground the at The Chapel as the goalkeepers warm up.

It is the same ritual every time, slow warm up, then Dave Watson takes every kick towards the goalkeeper then brushes his hair.

I don't see any communication.

It all looks like 'look at me, David Watson'.

Mrs JBS got to the ground ahead of me (supping an ale down the road) she made the exact same observation.

This post lost all credibility when you called Forster an excellent keeper.

Hugo Lloris is an excellent keeper, Petr Cech is an excellent keeper, Asmir Begovic is an excellent keeper. Fraser is average at best, even Tom Heaton is a better keeper.

Am I allowed to agree with you or are all the "you're a rabid mouth-foamer if you so much as criticise anything about Saints, Luvvies" going to have a pop at me.

Whilst on the subject of average, playing JWP, Hodgeberge AND Davis against Citeh shows me just how cr8p our current squad is. But hey I am not allowed to voice that sort of rabid mouth foaming,

lunatic waffling am I. Let's all just go on pretending.

Am I allowed to agree with you or are all the "you're a rabid mouth-foamer if you so much as criticise anything about Saints, Luvvies" going to have a pop at me.

Whilst on the subject of average, playing JWP, Hodgeberge AND Davis against Citeh shows me just how cr8p our current squad is. But hey I am not allowed to voice that sort of rabid mouth foaming,

lunatic waffling am I. Let's all just go on pretending.

Not nessasarily "foaming" just posting rubbish as we expect... :D