Saints 0 Wolves 2 (Carabao Cup)

SuperSAINT

Our starting XI against Palace last year, albeit a round later; McC, Cuco, Yoshi, Fonte, Targett, Clasie, JWP, Reed, Hesketh, Long, Austin

Some will argue we rested players and made it to the final, others than we're not in Europe now and we don't need to this year.

I would put out the strongest team possible, this is our best chance of a trophy and the players should all be pretty fresh.

If we did that, they wouldn't be fresh for the league game only 3 days later. We don't need out best team out to beat Wolves' 1st team. Plus in any case Wolves will probably do similar and field a weakened side, as promotion is far more important for them.

I don't think it is so much a question of 'resting players' rather than giving 'fringe players' game time to get/keep them match fit/ready. This means giving game time to all those who could be called upon to play if anyone were to pick up a knock during training (for example). Players who have not yet started a match this season and may have only had some game time during pre-season. Players like:

McCarthy

Pied

Targett

McQueen

Bednarek

PEH

Boufal

Long

Austin

I would have added:

Gallagher and Classie, but rumours are that they are off

Gardos but feel he is too far down the pecking order

Lemina, but doubt he will play given the gash on his leg

So, the 9 players above plus 2 others. For those 2 I would pick Yoshida over Stephens (as he would be the natural choice for captain, plus I feel Bednarek/Stephens CB pairing is too inexperienced) and JWP (as it seems he has lost his place in the first 11 to Lemina).

That would give a starting team something like this:

---------------------------------McCarthy-------------------------------

Pied---------------Bednarek----------------Yoshida--------------Targett

--------------------JWP----------------------PEH------------------------

Long---------------------------Boufal--------------------------McQueen

--------------------------------Austin-------------------------------------

Can't say I'm too enthused with a JWP/PEH pairing protecting a Yoshida/Bednarek pairing but hey-ho. I would rather a slight tweak, as in:

---------------------------------McCarthy-------------------------------

Pied---------------Bednarek----------------Yoshida-------------McQueen

--------------------Romeu----------------------PEH--------------------

JWP-----------------------------Boufal----------------------------Long

---------------------------------Austin----------------------------------

I'd play something like this.

McCarthy

Cedric Yoshida Stephens Mcqueen

JWP Romeu Hojberg Boufal

Long Austin

The above could be played in a 4231 variant too, with Long on the wing instead, alongside Boufal and JWP and behind Austin.

The reason for the above is that why play a completely different second team, we need to build some understanding and consistency, and also it is unfortunate for the substitutes to do well and then in the latter stages of the competition to be forgotten about should they get there.

Cedric needs minutes as hes only played in 3 games in total so far (inc preseason), McCarthy just so we fans can see whether he is genuine competition for Forster/plus gives him that match situation.

Bertrand can be only one rested for me.

Clasie is apparently on his way out so give PEH those minutes + Romeu is invaluable for us and doesn't need rest given we have no Europa League this summer.

Judging by those who didn't play last night, and those who need game time, I reckon we'll play something like:

Mccarthy

Pied

Gardos

Bednarek

Targett

JWP

Hjoberg

Long

Boufal

McQueen

Austin

If Flannigan is fit I think he may get a start at RB, or in midfield.

Judging by those who didn't play last night, and those who need game time, I reckon we'll play something like:

Mccarthy

Pied

Gardos

Bednarek

Targett

JWP

Hjoberg

Long

Boufal

McQueen

Austin

If Flannigan is fit I think he may get a start at RB, or in midfield.

Unfortunately Flannigan is injured. Had his op today

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Would be a shame if we go back to playing JWP against Wolves as it'll be tantamount to admitting we're not interested in this cup this year. But admittedly we do need to put him in the shop window so it's a tricky one.

Not bad. 7/10

Would be a shame if we go back to playing JWP against Wolves as it'll be tantamount to admitting we're not interested in this cup this year. But admittedly we do need to put him in the shop window so it's a tricky one.

If Redmond can stay on the pitch to the end in a Premiership game putting in a performance to make us look like we are also playing with 10 men too, then your wish of seeing JWP out the door is akin to standing in a force 10 gale and piddling into it!

Would expect to see the likes of Targett, Mcqueen, Mccarthy, Long, Austin, Hoj, Bedranak etc. Possibly with the extra quality of JWP/Redmond/Boufal/Yoshida sprinkled around the side.

Apparently Wolves will be pretty much full strength as well. Neves, cavaliero, Jota, Costa........some proper top level players in their side.

Would expect to see the likes of Targett, Mcqueen, Mccarthy, Long, Austin, Hoj, Bedranak etc. Possibly with the extra quality of JWP/Redmond/Boufal/Yoshida sprinkled around the side.

Apparently Wolves will be pretty much full strength as well. Neves, cavaliero, Jota, Costa........some proper top level players in their side.

Agreed. This won't be easy.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

reckon we will see about 4 changes.

those changes will be for the likes of Austin, JwP, maybe Pied and Boufal I reckon

we easily got one of the hardest ties possible

Absolutely, typical really. I think this Wolves team is better than a few PL sides to be honest.

I'd imagine Wolves will field a weakened team, this competition is not their priority this season if they're aiming for promotion. I expect McCarthy to start in goal and Long up top to protect our two injury-prone strikers.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

I'm thinking....

McCarthy

Cedric

Yoshida ©

Bednarek

Targett

Romeu

Hojbjerg

Redmond

Boufal

Austin

Subs: Taylor, McQueen, Stephens, JWP, Tadic, Gabbiadini, Long

Rested/Dropped/Injured/Sulking/On their way out of the door: Forster, Pied, Gardos, Bertrand, van Dijk, Lemina, Davis, Clasie, Sims, Hesketh, Wood, Jones, Flannigan, Valery

I'm thinking....

McCarthy

Cedric

Yoshida ©

Bednarek

Targett

Romeu

Hojbjerg

Redmond

Boufal

Austin

Subs: Taylor, McQueen, Stephens, JWP, Tadic, Gabbiadini, Long

Rested/Dropped/Injured/Sulking/On their way out of the door: Forster, Pied, Gardos, Bertrand, van Dijk, Lemina, Davis, Clasie, Sims, Hesketh, Wood, Jones, Flannigan, Valery

Can't see Romeu being risked or pre-sale Cedric. Reckon JWP might play.

Agree Pied will play, he looked decent pre season.

Looking forward to seeing McCarthy play, got a feeling there will be a few goals in this and extra time.

Looks like it'll be a small crowd, think highest attendance in the round so far was at Leeds last night 17k would be good if we have a decent walk up and beat that.

Agree Pied will play, he looked decent pre season.

Looking forward to seeing McCarthy play, got a feeling there will be a few goals in this and extra time.

Looks like it'll be a small crowd, think highest attendance in the round so far was at Leeds last night 17k would be good if we have a decent walk up and beat that.

Looks like we're on course to beat that highest attendance by several thousand, with a 20,000+ crowd.

MP's Pre-match interview...

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2017-08-23/video-mauricio-pellegrino-southampton-wolves

Says that Targett has picked up an injury so is doubtful. So a start for McQueen I guess

Probably right. I thought McQueen might play a more attacking role, but my guess now for the front four would be Austin, with JWP, Boufal and Long, assuming Sims and Hesketh still out.

Back four of Pied, Stephens/Yoshida, Bedarnek, McQueen. Lemina and Romeu/Davis in midfield.

MP on the game...

We need to be focused

this is another competition and will be a tough game

wolves are in good form and this is an important game

we need to keep going on the track we are on

will be a difficult game

we will make changes as we will have another game saturday

There are a lot of teams who have high potential, wolves are one of them

we have another tough game on sat

we have to be humble and focused on this game

this game is another step that we try to win

if we win, we look to the next game

we try to improve in our good style and the squad is ready

we have matt targett as a doubt, he is the only player

MP on the game...

We need to be focused

this is another competition and will be a tough game

wolves are in good form and this is an important game

we need to keep going on the track we are on

will be a difficult game

we will make changes as we will have another game saturday

There are a lot of teams who have high potential, wolves are one of them

we have another tough game on sat

we have to be humble and focused on this game

this game is another step that we try to win

if we win, we look to the next game

we try to improve in our good style and the squad is ready

we have matt targett as a doubt, he is the only player

At least he didn't say "this game has interesting possibilities".

Tough game, Wolves are a good team with a couple of players who would improve us so we will need to play a strong team.

Not sure how seriously they will take it though, generally teams don't take it too seriously until the quarter / semi finals, so a good chance to have a decent run and I think the extra game will help implement MP's philosophy.

------------McCarthy---------------

Cedric--Stephens--Yoshida--McQueen (give Bertrand a rest following his injury against Swansea)

----------Lemia--Romeu------------

Redmond--Ward Prowse--Boufal

-------------Austin------------------

Forster, Bedarnek, Pied, PEH, Tadic, Gabbi, Long

0-1 (should Wolves take it seriously)

2-0 if not.

Edited by SKD

I think it's about how serious Wolves take it.

IMHO they will make 11 changes as the premiership is far too important.

The average age of their U23 squad on Mon was 19.5 (courtesy of trousers), so I guess they held back some reserves for tonight.

I think it's about how serious Wolves take it.

IMHO they will make 11 changes as the premiership is far too important.

I agree - a good Championship side who are hoping to push for promotion realistically won't take the 2nd Round of the League Cup too seriously. They certainly won't have any aims of winning it as this cup can distract from league form, and league form is their priority.

Narrow win for us, I reckon. Not a pretty match, but we should have enough to get through.