January 18 transfer window

SKD

I am reminded of how Spurs blew the Bale money on over-priced mediocrity.

We sit here at Christmas, sat a perilous 3 points above the relegation zone, and our only player capable of scoring is out with a hamstring for the next number of weeks. The forthcoming transfer window is perhaps the most important ever in Saint's history.

Good point. This will be a real test of the club’s mettle.

Breaking... Celtic accept bid from Brighton for striker Moussa Dembélé. Two clubs have reached agreement on transfer fee of £18 million

From Sky.

Decent show of ambition for January.

If that is true and Brighton....BRIGHTON are about to spend more than our transfer record on a signing then something is wrong somewhere.

If that is true and Brighton....BRIGHTON are about to spend more than our transfer record on a signing then something is wrong somewhere.
If they stay up they have a decent chance to build a good PL setup. Decent fanbase (more ST holders than us), big catchment area, new training ground, nice location for players to live, momentum...

Dembele a few months ago was being linked with the top sides so thst seems a fairly decent price for an experienced 21 year old striker.

Breaking... Celtic accept bid from Brighton for striker Moussa Dembélé. Two clubs have reached agreement on transfer fee of £18 million

From Sky.

Decent show of ambition for January.

Wowsers. £18m in today's market is good for Dembele.

Fortunately our recruiters feel Shane Long will be good enough for this season.

Here is what my January shopping would be:

Sell VVD, Tadic and Long = 85m

Buy Moussa Dembele Mkhitaryan Walcott= 70m

Both Mkhitaryan and Walcott are surplus to requirements at their respective clubs

Take the rest to lay off Pelligrino and bring in a quality manager from another club.

Attacking options would be Austin Gabbiadini Dembele Walcott Miktaryan Boufal and Redmond.

Good mix of pace, trickery and skill.

Who wants me to replace Ross Wilson? ;-)

Here is what my January shopping would be:

Sell VVD, Tadic and Long = 85m

Buy Moussa Dembele Mkhitaryan Walcott= 70m

Both Mkhitaryan and Walcott are surplus to requirements at their respective clubs

Take the rest to lay off Pelligrino and bring in a quality manager from another club.

Attacking options would be Austin Gabbiadini Dembele Walcott Miktaryan Boufal and Redmond.

Good mix of pace, trickery and skill.

Who wants me to replace Ross Wilson? ;-)

You haven't factored in the wages for Mik and Walcott. There wouldn't be much left. However, I do agree with you, especially on Walcott and Dembele.

I would do the deal with Celtic quickly before they reach agreement with Brighton. £25M offered and accepted, please, but taken off the market immediately, player sold.

Why would Mkhitaryan step down from Champions League on £200k to a lower mid-table club on around £70k. :lol:

Dembele and Walcott in with van Dijk and Long out would be good though. Agree that we should shift Tadic in the Summer though, one of the least productive #10s I've ever seen.

Well maybe because he's hardly played this season.

Talk about going back to Dortmund, I don't see them paying him 200k a week either.

Let's just show some ambition, Van Dijk Tadic and Long are one of our best paid players having signed new contracts last year so wage bill would be going down quite a bit and allow us to recruit these players.

Maybe Mkhitryan is out of our league but let's show we are ambitious.

Well maybe because he's hardly played this season.

Talk about going back to Dortmund, I don't see them paying him 200k a week either.

Let's just show some ambition, Van Dijk Tadic and Long are one of our best paid players having signed new contracts last year so wage bill would be going down quite a bit and allow us to recruit these players.

Maybe Mkhitryan is out of our league but let's show we are ambitious.

Some have clearly had an egg nog or two too many.

Happy Christmas

Ok, so we're approaching what is likely to be our most decisive transfer window in recent times. Get this wrong and it will have huge repercussions. What do we need to do?

Ship out some of the squad to free up space and wages - Long, Gardos, Bedranek (loan), VVD, McQueen (loan), Pied, McCarthy. Use the funds to strengthen the entire squad.

New GK - Someone good enough to push Fraser immediately.

New CB - Replacement for VVD - someone who could form a partnership with Hoedt long term.

New ST - Absolute must, given that we're now probably missing our only goal scorer for most of the season. We need someone strong, quick, tall- someone in the ilk of Aboubakar at Porto (not saying he is realistic, but that 'type' of player).

New attacking midfield player - Again, an absolute must for me. Someone who can play across the front 3, but someone who actually has genuine pace and the ability to get in behind and stretch teams. It's all way too safe and predictable right now.

New RB - Someone to push Cedric who we can rely on - as we seemingly don't want to use Pied.

Big bucks to be spent on a CB and ST. Key attributes for any new additional would be pace, power, strength and height. Get that injected back into the spine of this team. This transfer window will show a lot about us as a club and it's time to put this fabled 'black box' into action.

Ok, so we're approaching what is likely to be our most decisive transfer window in recent times. Get this wrong and it will have huge repercussions. What do we need to do?

Ship out some of the squad to free up space and wages - Long, Gardos, Bedranek (loan), VVD, McQueen (loan), Pied, McCarthy. Use the funds to strengthen the entire squad.

New GK - Someone good enough to push Fraser immediately.

New CB - Replacement for VVD - someone who could form a partnership with Hoedt long term.

New ST - Absolute must, given that we're now probably missing our only goal scorer for most of the season. We need someone strong, quick, tall- someone in the ilk of Aboubakar at Porto (not saying he is realistic, but that 'type' of player).

New attacking midfield player - Again, an absolute must for me. Someone who can play across the front 3, but someone who actually has genuine pace and the ability to get in behind and stretch teams. It's all way too safe and predictable right now.

New RB - Someone to push Cedric who we can rely on - as we seemingly don't want to use Pied.

Big bucks to be spent on a CB and ST. Key attributes for any new additional would be pace, power, strength and height. Get that injected back into the spine of this team. This transfer window will show a lot about us as a club and it's time to put this fabled 'black box' into action.

Yep, pretty much all of that is needed, during the worst time to sign players of value...

To be decided by a hapless recruitment team, to supply a hapless coach.

Not sure I'm too optimistic.

Yep, pretty much all of that is needed, during the worst time to sign players of value...

To be decided by a hapless recruitment team, to supply a hapless coach.

Not sure I'm too optimistic.

To be honest, our signings in the summer were better than previous windows (Bedranek aside). More along the lines of proven first team quality who go straight in and improve the 11, so a couple more of them this window and we may swing ourselves around. We do of course also need a manager who is able to coach and pick a consistent 11...

To be honest, our signings in the summer were better than previous windows (Bedranek aside). More along the lines of proven first team quality who go straight in and improve the 11, so a couple more of them this window and we may swing ourselves around. We do of course also need a manager who is able to coach and pick a consistent 11...

Adrian's Walcott / Dembele shout is a very good one for starters.

Hoedt in a settle back 4 has a lot of potential.

Lemina can be a great player.

We had a terrific window on paper, keeping everyone and adding first team players. Add two more of similar quality...why would it solve all MP's problems?

Because we wouldn't be relying on Long to score all our goals.

You haven't factored in the wages for Mik and Walcott. There wouldn't be much left. However, I do agree with you, especially on Walcott and Dembele.

I would do the deal with Celtic quickly before they reach agreement with Brighton. £25M offered and accepted, please, but taken off the market immediately, player sold.

What also hasn't been factored in here is that neither Miki or Walcott would consider coming here, and we'd never even get to a wages discussion. Not really about not showing ambition, those two are a couple of levels above us

What also hasn't been factored in here is that neither Miki or Walcott would consider coming here, and we'd never even get to a wages discussion. Not really about not showing ambition, those two are a couple of levels above us

Actually that's not true of Walcott. Doesn't mean he will come of course, but he would consider it.

Andy Carroll.

Or a player similar to him, would definitely help us up front. Not I'm sure, a popular choice, but he's a real handful, and what we desperately need up front.

Discuss!

I would agree that we need a focal point in attack like him, but we also need people with the ability to supply.

I personally wouldn't go anywhere near Carroll as he is too injury prone, you'd only ever get handfulls of games from the bloke before long lay-offs. We already have one of those in Charlie.

I found out about an alleged Saints ITK while snooping around one of the Liverpool forums. He’s on Reddit, claims to have a contact inside the club, and posted the following...

https://np.reddit.com/r/SaintsFC/comments/7m3fl6/transfer_thread_prejan/drsi39o/

Interesting re potential targets but not 100% accurate in light of the recent Wilson article in the Telegraph.

Wages in the region of £120k p.w and a fee of about £50m would be my guess.

If Walcott goes for anything close to £50m then I will officially give up with modern football.

Don’t really get the hype on here for him if I’m honest. Pretty average player, doesn’t know his best position and always injured. He’ll fit in well then.

I found out about an alleged Saints ITK while snooping around one of the Liverpool forums. He’s on Reddit, claims to have a contact inside the club, and posted the following...

https://np.reddit.com/r/SaintsFC/comments/7m3fl6/transfer_thread_prejan/drsi39o/

Interesting re potential targets but not 100% accurate in light of the recent Wilson article in the Telegraph.

If he’s right on the targets bit then that’s worrying. We won’t be able to secure any of the identified targets in the summer if we are in the Championship. Club seem very very complacent/blind to our situation and how bad we’ve been playing recently.

I have never been a fan of Brendon Rogers but I’d be straight on the phone to Celtic for him and Dembele.

Followed up with 2 strong Centre halves and a winger so Boufal can have some freedom.

Keeper

FF

4 defenders

CS

RB

New CB

WH

2 holding mids

OR

Lemina

3 Attacking mids

New LW

MG

Boufal

Striker

Dembele

Sell Long, McQueen, Redmond

I have never been a fan of Brendon Rogers but I’d be straight on the phone to Celtic for him and Dembele.

Followed up with 2 strong Centre halves and a winger so Boufal can have some freedom.

Keeper

FF

4 defenders

CS

RB

New CB

WH

2 holding mids

OR

Lemina

3 Attacking mids

New LW

MG

Boufal

Striker

Dembele

Sell Long, McQueen, Redmond

I agree about Rodgers and Dembele, but not selling McQueen and Redmond. A good manager would get the best out of them.

Pep obviously can see the potential that Redmond has, and is also frustrated seeing his progress stopped.