Page 22 of 47 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,100 of 2333

Thread: Coronavirus Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    I don’t like the idea of any games being played behind closed doors. For me it just further cements that clubs don’t really care about fans and only really care about ££ (it would be the first step to PL games being played in the middle
    East and USA).

Although, arguably, it also demonstrates that the clubs don’t need revenue from fans and should therefore lower the cost of a match day ticket.
    Clubs don’t care about the fans, I’m not sure why you’d think this. So long as they continue to hand over their money, that’s as far as their interest goes.

The idea of ‘not needed revenue’ is - TBH - ridiculous. The clubs owners will take any penny they can get. As long as matches continue to just about sell out, the prices will stay the same.

2. Default

I agree. Just pointing out itís easy to Ďact classyí when itís looking like things are very much in your favour.
    What are you on about, very much in their favour. Theyíd have won the ****ing league by now. Iíd say things are very much going against them. Itís easy to be blasť about voiding it when your teams in mid table and will have a 9-0 wiped from the record. If we needed 2 points from 9 games to make the champions league, youíd be one of the first moaning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy_D View Post
    Government estimates (assuming a fair few unknowns) put us at about three to six months before we might be back to normal, which would be the end of June at the earliest.
    Football behind closed doors is not back to normal though is it. It doesnít break the ban against large gatherings which was the stage before where we are now.

Coronavirus is never going to go away, eventually we are going to get to the point where we just carry on as usual and accept that some people will catch it and, like the flu, some people will die from it.

4. Default

I donít like the idea of any games being played behind closed doors. For me it just further cements that clubs donít really care about fans and only really care about ££ (it would be the first step to PL games being played in the middle
    East and USA).

Although, arguably, it also demonstrates that the clubs donít need revenue from fans and should therefore lower the cost of a match day ticket.
    So they should show they care about fans by encouraging them to gather in a stadium to transmit a potentially deadly disease to each other?

Playing it in a controlled way will be a way to bring some normality back to the nation. The public ain't going into a football stadium for a long time.

I donít like the idea of any games being played behind closed doors. For me it just further cements that clubs donít really care about fans and only really care about ££ (it would be the first step to PL games being played in the middle
    East and USA).

Although, arguably, it also demonstrates that the clubs donít need revenue from fans and should therefore lower the cost of a match day ticket.
    I would prefer to have games in front of a crowd but being realistic that isn't going to happen for many months. If it is a choice between voiding the season or playing behind closed doors, I'll take behind closed doors and watch it online

Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    Football behind closed doors is not back to normal though is it. It doesn’t break the ban against large gatherings which was the stage before where we are now.

Coronavirus is never going to go away, eventually we are going to get to the point where we just carry on as usual and accept that some people will catch it and, like the flu, some people will die from it.
    There will ultimately be a vaccine which make coronavirus go away, unless anyone is stupid enough to refuse vaccines.

Quote Originally Posted by waylander View Post
    There will ultimately be a vaccine which make coronavirus go away, unless anyone is stupid enough to refuse vaccines.
    Flu vacines exist... we still have flu.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    Flu viruses mutate a lot. Corona virus mutates too but less. It depends on which domain the vaccine is raised against, if it is a retained domain then the vaccine will be unaffected by the mutation.

9. Default

Football behind closed doors is not back to normal though is it. It doesn’t break the ban against large gatherings which was the stage before where we are now.

That goes back around to whether they think that Liverpool winning the league would cause the public to gather in Liverpool and how much strain the spike from that would put on the NHS.

Because there are >20 types of influenza virus every year, all slightly different and mutated. The flu vaccine covers the most "popular" 3-6 influenza viruses that the health professionals think we'll be subjected to that winter. The last 2 years I've had exactly the same vaccine as this hasn't changed, but the year before was different. I've got completely f**ked lungs and have the jab every year - as soon as a coronavirus vaccine becomes available I'll jump on it. In fact I'd like to volunteer to trial it but don't know how.

But anyway, that is why we still have 'flu', as there are so many strains of it. Also, bizarrely, many people opt not to get vaccinated and there are those that CAN'T be vaccinated as the vaccine is grown on egg cultures and people with egg allergies can't have it. Last autumn was the first time a different vaccine has been available to egg allergy sufferers.

That goes back around to whether they think that Liverpool winning the league would cause the public to gather in Liverpool and how much strain the spike from that would put on the NHS.
    That’s obviously a concern but it’s a potential gathering at one game. Surely the positive benefits of having the national sport back on tv outweigh the negatives of a few idiot scousers spreading a bit. Depression, boredom, frustration are all real issues with this lockdown, if the government want everyone to stay home for months on end then daily live football on the box will go a long way to help.

Flu viruses mutate a lot. Corona virus mutates too but less. It depends on which domain the vaccine is raised against, if it is a retained domain then the vaccine will be unaffected by the mutation.

Do we know that about Coronavirus yet?

On what is that claim based?

I would prefer to have games in front of a crowd but being realistic that isn't going to happen for many months. If it is a choice between voiding the season or playing behind closed doors, I'll take behind closed doors and watch it online
    Will never happen if social distancing is still in force which is more than likely for 6 months at least.

Hopefully wrong of course and we can all get underway in 2 months, but cant see it.

I'll take behind closed doors and watch it online
    Quote Originally Posted by skintsaint View Post
    Will never happen if social distancing is still in force which is more than likely for 6 months at least.
    Premier League plans have developed into clubs staying in quarantined World Cup-style training bases and playing all games in midlands June/July

- all 92 remaining games would be broadcast in "TV mega event"

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a9432961.html

Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Blog Entries

Premier League plans have developed into clubs staying in quarantined World Cup-style training bases and playing all games in midlands June/July

- all 92 remaining games would be broadcast in "TV mega event"

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a9432961.html
    Would only take one player or support staff to show symptoms and the whole thing would go down in flames. I suppose it very much depends what the situation is by then.

Blog Entries

The Belarus season has kicked off for anyone wanting their football fix!

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Because there are >20 types of influenza virus every year, all slightly different and mutated. The flu vaccine covers the most "popular" 3-6 influenza viruses that the health professionals think we'll be subjected to that winter. The last 2 years I've had exactly the same vaccine as this hasn't changed, but the year before was different. I've got completely f**ked lungs and have the jab every year - as soon as a coronavirus vaccine becomes available I'll jump on it. In fact I'd like to volunteer to trial it but don't know how.

But anyway, that is why we still have 'flu', as there are so many strains of it. Also, bizarrely, many people opt not to get vaccinated and there are those that CAN'T be vaccinated as the vaccine is grown on egg cultures and people with egg allergies can't have it. Last autumn was the first time a different vaccine has been available to egg allergy sufferers.
    I wonder if vegans have been aware of this.

On what is that claim based?
    https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-mutations.html

WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!

Non-League clubs getting upset about their seasons being cancelled and voided.

Sixty-six non-league clubs send open letter to FA over expunging season

Sixty-six non-league clubs have sent an open letter to the Football Association, calling for it to "urgently" reconsider the decision to expunge their seasons.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52098137

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    Non-League clubs getting upset about their seasons being cancelled and voided.

Sixty-six non-league clubs send open letter to FA over expunging season

Sixty-six non-league clubs have sent an open letter to the Football Association, calling for it to "urgently" reconsider the decision to expunge their seasons.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52098137

66 clubs sounds like a lot, but I believe the FA's decision covers 91 leagues...assuming 20 teams per league, approx 3% have sent this letter.

WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!

Quote Originally Posted by petermcpete View Post
    66 clubs sounds like a lot, but I believe the FA's decision covers 91 leagues...assuming 20 teams per league, approx 3% have sent this letter.
    I'd assume all clubs who thought they where getting, or in with a chance of getting, promoted. .

The best outcome, purely from a footballing point of view, is for the season to finish before contracts run out. For obvious reasons that's extremely unlikely to happen.

Personally I think the season will eventually end up voided due to the issue of contracts ending at the end of June preventing the season from ending fairly.

It's possible they'll decide that finishing the season later is preferable to voiding it, whenever that happens to be, but imagine one of the teams in the relegation mix goes out and buys a load of players and escapes.
    If you prevent any players signing until the season finishes, you still can't force players to carry on that are out of contract, or finishing loans, which also distorts the finish.

Purely from a competition point of view, the only option I can see to finish fairly is to cancel it, otherwise you have to change the rules and/or players that teams started the season with outside of what was agreed at the start.
    As far as I can see, it's only the money in the game posing an existential threat to leagues and clubs, that's pushing people towards wanting to compromise on the sporting integrity. To be able to finish the season and apply qualification and promotion/relegation etc.

All of this is completely separate from next season, which we can go into with full knowledge of the existence of COVID-19 and adjust the rules to be able to cope with possible delays etc.

Obviously Liverpool are the biggest losers in that scenario, and it's difficult to think of a team that would have been treated more harshly than them missing out like this, but literally every aspect of our life has been knocked sideways by a global pandemic, and there's no way to keep everyone happy with the outcome here.

Obviously it's not time to say that the season should be voided now, as long as there's still a small possibility the season can be ended fairly, but as time carries on I think it'll become more and more likely.

Starting to look more unlikely the Scottish League will finish, for what it's worth;
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52092857
    It's not the footballers that will be the problem, it'll be the response of the public that'll be the concern.

Can you really see Liverpool fans sitting at home and staying isolated when they win their first title for three decades?

In Italy they're literally taking ventilators away from older patients to save younger ones that are more likely to survive. It's a horrible, horrible situation, from people's absolute worst nightmares, made real, and the only reason it's happening is because it's the least horrible option. People are dying not because of the tragedy of not being able to overcome the virus, but because there's no treatment available because too many people are sick.

Here we might just about have done enough to avoid that. Maybe. And it'll all have been for nothing if we let up too soon and end up with a second peak that pushes us above capacity to treat it.

This goes so far beyond football... it's not something we can treat lightly in any way, shape or form.
    Spot on Jimmy.

Further more, if the proposal to play matches in June/July does go ahead:

Any resumption of the season will have skewed results to those that would have happened if all matches had occurred as planned at the start of the season. Players who were injured will then be available (i.e. Kane was out for the season but will most likely be able to play in June/July - there is no doubt Spurs are a different outfit when he plays); there will be no home advantage; weather conditions will be completely different (how will Burnley manage to get any points without howling winds?); etc. So any relegations/promotions (or lack there of) could still face legal battles.

To mitigate somewhat against these a rule would have to be brought in that no clubs could field any players who would not have been available when he original fixtures were scheduled to be played. Very hard to police in regard to injuries, but could easily be brought in in regard to players not signed for the season/loaned players. What couldn't be enforced is making players play who are out of contract on June 30 after their those contracts expire. I guess it will be relatively easy to extend loan deals into July - if all parties are in agreement.

The absolute hardest thing to do would be to keep covidiot fans away from the fixtures and to stop them partying in their home towns/cities - especially when titles/promotions are won. With this in mind, it may be one thing for the football authorities to have a plan to conclude the season - but the government/police may well not permit it to happen (in June/July).

Just void the season and start it all again this September with teams as they were a year previous - if normality has resumed by then.

Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Would only take one player or support staff to show symptoms and the whole thing would go down in flames. I suppose it very much depends what the situation is by then.
    I don’t see how they can just complete the Premier league season and void the rest. Imagine the outcry from likes of Leeds and West Brom......

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    What are you on about, very much in their favour. They’d have won the ****ing league by now. I’d say things are very much going against them. It’s easy to be blasť about voiding it when your teams in mid table and will have a 9-0 wiped from the record. If we needed 2 points from 9 games to make the champions league, you’d be one of the first moaning.

Bloody great though isn’t it?

And that point, like flu, comes when there are vaccines.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    What are you on about, very much in their favour. They’d have won the ****ing league by now. I’d say things are very much going against them. It’s easy to be blasť about voiding it when your teams in mid table and will have a 9-0 wiped from the record. If we needed 2 points from 9 games to make the champions league, you’d be one of the first moaning.

It's easy to be blaise about it when you realise it's sport and entertainment.

If Saints were 2 points off champions league I'd have enjoyed a great season so far, and if voided would be really looking forward to the next one.

Saints have had a mixed season, and I'll be really looking forward to the next one.

When we were relegated, really looked forward to the next one.

It all keeps going forever. This season is already completely comprised. Give Liverpool the title if they want. It won't mean much and the history books will say void but whatever.

I think the Premier League (Clubs and Players) have acted appallingly through this. Always championing their own 'community' causes and all that.
    Look at the state of Spurs, Newcastle and now Bournemouth!

Thing is, at worst (for the clubs), some fans will be mortified and give them hell for a short while (along with a very very small section of the media) and at best, fans will be angry now but quickly forget the moment their club goes on a good run.

I see the PFA are blocking any pay cut (so far).

To be honest, I am absolutely staggered by this, from the Premier League clubs and players anyway. Even our own club, have done nothing (publicly) but we get to read what Alex McCarthy is doing on his days off....and I suspect some fans are lapping it up......my god

Look at this..
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...affic-incident

Villa fans sticking up for their bloke on villatalk message board. Madness
    Last edited by Batman; 01-04-2020 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I think the Premier League (Clubs and Players) have acted appallingly through this. Always championing their own 'community' causes and all that.
    Look at the state of Spurs, Newcastle and now Bournemouth!

Thing is, at worst (for the clubs), some fans will be mortified and give them hell for a short while (along with a very very small section of the media) and at best, fans will be angry now but quickly forget the moment their club goes on a good run.

I see the PFA are blocking any pay cut (so far).

To be honest, I am absolutely staggered by this, from the Premier League clubs and players anyway. Even our own club, have done nothing (publicly) but we get to read what Alex McCarthy is doing on his days off....and I suspect some fans are lapping it up......my god

Look at this..
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...affic-incident

Villa fans sticking up for their bloke on villatalk message board. Madness
    I actually find it staggering that players are being encouraged not to take pay cuts meanwhile premier league clubs paying players £80,£90, £100k a week are putting back office staff earning a third of that a year on furlough and clubs down the pyramid are close to going out of business. The peoples game yet again proving it's anything but.

Shame the club can't put the players on a 'jobkeeper' allowance like workers over here are on, as their jobs can't be carried out but the Govt don't employers to sack people. Imagine the top players trying to live on $750pw.

Quote Originally Posted by skintsaint View Post
    Shame the club can't put the players on a 'jobkeeper' allowance like workers over here are on, as their jobs can't be carried out but the Govt don't employers to sack people. Imagine the top players trying to live on $750pw.
    The players will argue they have fitness programs to stick too so are keeping fit so still working, effectively working from home. It's more the moral issue here. CLubs and players have had their snouts in the trough for years earning ridiculous sums for not very much, milking every penny out of of fans. It time to give something back.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    I actually find it staggering that players are being encouraged not to take pay cuts meanwhile premier league clubs paying players £80,£90, £100k a week are putting back office staff earning a third of that a year on furlough and clubs down the pyramid are close to going out of business. The peoples game yet again proving it's anything but.
    2 separate issues for me. Any business not taking the opportunity to furlough staff who cannot work are nuts. Bournemouth are paying the additional element so their staff are on full pay, but the jobs are still there in due course. Whilst being furloughed, the staff will have the opportunity to take on additional work if they wish to do their bit and earn more. I can't see any benefit to the Bournemouth staff of receiving full pay outside of furlough.

As for footballers, they should absolutely be willing to take a pay freeze or trim at this time in order to help keep the clubs sustainable.

BarÁa players offered a 70% paycut so all staff could still be paid in full.

Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    2 separate issues for me. Any business not taking the opportunity to furlough staff who cannot work are nuts. Bournemouth are paying the additional element so their staff are on full pay, but the jobs are still there in due course. Whilst being furloughed, the staff will have the opportunity to take on additional work if they wish to do their bit and earn more. I can't see any benefit to the Bournemouth staff of receiving full pay outside of furlough.

As for footballers, they should absolutely be willing to take a pay freeze or trim at this time in order to help keep the clubs sustainable.
    This. No one should moan about being on 80% pay for siting at home playing Call of Duty.

Just seen this article about Norwich. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52114292

I appreciate the government's offer was for all, but isn't it taking the **** a bit for football clubs to be using it in this way. Surely the money is really needed and meant for small to medium businesses who will go bust if they have to keep paying their staff, not for rich premier league clubs who are paying players tens of thousands a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the Badger View Post
    Just seen this article about Norwich. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52114292

I appreciate the government's offer was for all, but isn't it taking the **** a bit for football clubs to be using it in this way. Surely the money is really needed and meant for small to medium businesses who will go bust if they have to keep paying their staff, not for rich premier league clubs who are paying players tens of thousands a week.
    I've got no problem with football clubs using the scheme. Clubs like Saints and Norwich are medium sized businesses with high overheards and very precarious income streams. What I do have a problem with is the small cadre of players who take out millions each not chucking into the pot to make up the extra 20%.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the Badger View Post

There will be high paid people in other companies up and down the country too, same should apply to them as well.

This. No one should moan about being on 80% pay for siting at home playing Call of Duty.
    Do you think the government should be subsiding football clubs?

There will be high paid people in other companies up and down the country too, same should apply to them as well.
    Yes there are but not many where the disparity is so great and that their wages are basically paid for by the public. How many companies of lets say 400 employees are there where about 8% of the staff earn an average of over £3m a year and the rest earn lets say a generous £40k a year? Do you think it's unreasonable to ask the 8% to survive on lets say £2.5m for just this year so the other 92% can keep working? Or do you fully support the government subsiding football clubs?

Yes there are but not many where the disparity is so great and that their wages are basically paid for by the public. How many companies of lets say 400 employees are there where about 8% of the staff earn an average of over £3m a year and the rest earn lets say a generous £40k a year? Do you think it's unreasonable to ask the 8% to survive on lets say £2.5m for just this year so the other 92% can keep working? Or do you fully support the government subsiding football clubs?
    No I agree. The same should apply to bankers, company directors and other high earners. Or do you think the government should subsidise them?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52120578

Good article ….. one of the reasons why I have lost most of my interest in the modern game. I know Saints have yet to make a statement on staff wages, but the likes of Spurs making £68mm profits & Levy taking a £3mm bonus for delivering a stadium late but think it Ok to go cap in hand to the Govt!?

Do you think the government should be subsiding football clubs?
    Are you saying that football clubs, and their employees,should not be treated the same as other companies and their employees? If so, please explain w why they should be treated different to every other business/employee.

Are you saying that football clubs, and their employees,should not be treated the same as other companies and their employees? If so, please explain w why they should be treated different to every other business/employee.
    If the deal is that the government will pay 80% of wages up to £2500pm, this should indeed extent to footballers and the club should be able to pay them nothing. Whether it's right that millionaire footballers are taking advantage of a taxpayer funded scheme, designed to stop ordinary people losing their homes is a different matter.

Obviously I have every sympathy for someone who might have to put up with an outdated 2016 Aston Martin for another 6 months but the fact that more footballers haven't taken a pay cut is disappointing to say the least.

Trouble is, if football clubs couldn’t use this scheme to pay staff they’d just bin them off completely.
    the players of course, will be the last to suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles34 View Post
    Trouble is, if football clubs couldn’t use this scheme to pay staff they’d just bin them off completely.
    the players of course, will be the last to suffer.
    Just like any other business.

Because football clubs and players after having their snout in the trough for years earning fortunes off the public have a moral obligation not to take advantage of a government support not meant for them. Unless of course you think it's absolutely fine for a 22 year old squad player with no responsibilities to carry on earning £80k a week playing on his Xbox whilst a back office worker at a club has to live off 80% of £30k a year. Football is the shining example of an industry that can support itself without being subsidised by the government.

No I agree. The same should apply to bankers, company directors and other high earners. Or do you think the government should subsidise them?
    I would certainly agree that companies with very high earners have an obligation to support those less well off. Everyone says people should be glad to get 80% and it a brilliant offer from the government, but it wasn't meant for people earning £100s of thousands a year to keep their incomes at the expense of those less well off.

Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Blog Entries

I would certainly agree that companies with very high earners have an obligation to support those less well off. Everyone says people should be glad to get 80% and it a brilliant offer from the government, but it wasn't meant for people earning £100s of thousands a year to keep their incomes at the expense of those less well off.
    Tbf if the players are furloughed they wouldn't keep their incomes.

Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Tbf if the players are furloughed they wouldn't keep their incomes.
    It's not the players that are being furloughed though, it's all the back office staff.

Just like any other business.
    but football is not like any other business