Where were you when we signed Keegan?

thegaffer

Every Saints fan old enough remembers where they were when news came through in1980 that Lawrie had signed Keegan at The Potters Heron. Keegan at the time was European footballer of the year.

I was working with my brothers on a roof in Olivers Battery. We couldn't believe it so went home early to see it for real on the news. What happened over the next couple of years was the most exciting football I've witnessed as a lifelong Saints fan.

Where were you when it was announced and is the next few days destined for the same?

At school, and the remember our teacher telling us he had signed. I remember running home to ask my step dad. Sat glued to the tv that night watching the news. The next day I remember playing footy on the school pitch and evryone was KK. It was a real buzz.

Spoke to my step dad not so long ago, who said a signing like Keegan then would be like be like signing Ronaldo now which to be fair is true.

Every Saints fan old enough remembers where they were when news came through in1980 that Lawrie had signed Keegan at The Potters Heron. Keegan at the time was European footballer of the year.

I was working with my brothers on a roof in Olivers Battery. We couldn't believe it so went home early to see it for real on the news. What happened over the next couple of years was the most exciting football I've witnessed as a lifelong Saints fan.

Where were you when it was announced and is the next few days destined for the same?

I had just gone into a Builders Merchant in Millbrook and heard a couple of guys talking about it. I couldn`t quite understand what they were talking about so I went outside and put the radio on and heard it. I just couldn`t believe what I was hearing! Saints signing the European Footballer of the Year!! I spent the rest of the day in quite a daze. KK signed before the end of one season but couldn`t play until the next one. The few months between him signing and seeing him in a Saints shirt were sheer torture - a bit like now!!!

It was 1980.

I was 7, I was probably still celebrating Newport County's promotion to the League Saints are currently in and their Welsh Cup win over two legs against Shrewsbury.

I knew who Keegan was, but Saints were just someone with a similar style Patrick kit to "The County", who were in my Panini album, that Nicky Leighton in my class liked. HE ended up one of those long-hairs with black rock band t-shirts on. :eek:

As you can tell, despite having been a football fan for all but the first 2 weeks of my 7 years, I didn't even notice.

I'd just got home from school and saw the few lines in the Stop Press on the back of the Echo. I remember waiting for my dad to come home from work and saying "why are we buying that old Norwich keeper" Then it was official on the TV and we were ecstatic. I've just phoned him and he is in his eighties and says that if it is true that Keegan is returning he will buy a season ticket and come with me next season.

COYR

Edited by Saints4Prem
missed a bit out

I remember this like it was yesterday, I was driving north on the M5 when it came over the radio at a live press conference. I was over joyed, I could not believe that LM had pulled it off; Keegan coming to Southampton I was gob smacked. What a great day that was, if we retain him as manager I think it will be great for the club from a moral booster on its own.

I was working and living near Southend and will never forget coming home and the old boy who lived next door came rushing out and saying, "Stephen, you'll never guess who Southampton have signed!" It took a good half hour before I believed him (no teletext or computers in those days!) Wow!

I came home from school and saw it on the local news. I ended up shortly afterwards being his paperboy in Romsey and clearly remember his dog chasing me several times. Since then Kevin and I have slowly drifted apart.

Haha, i'm sorry that it ended like it did.

All this talk of Keegan and the takeover (hopefully) nearing completion with Le Tiss as Chairman i must admit i am so so excited. As a 23 year old, i'm not old enough to have been around for the 70's and 80's but just watching Saints clips from those era's makes me smile and fills me with so much pride.

In my time as a Saints fan, I don't think i have ever been this optimistic about the changes taking place. Providing everything goes to plan with the takeover, i think these could be very exciting times for us.

I remember it crystal clear.

I was walking home from school & was about 200 yds from home. A car pulled up next to me & the driver wound down his window, I thought I was about to be abducted by the local weirdo. He asked me if I was a Saints fan, and if I'd heard the news. I said I hadn't. When he told me I thought he was pulling my chain. I legged it home & told my mum that a stranger had told me we'd signed KK, she then proceeded to chastise me for talking to strangers.

I went to school on the school bus and on the day KK signed my mum was waiting at the school gates, I thought someone had died (as it happens I did and went to heaven when I found out). I refuse to believe her until I heard the news and all the way home I was saying 'you must have heard that we signed the Norwich goalie Kevin Keehan (sp)'.

It was amazing and a true measure of what we and football as a whole were about in those days. Never again.

Funnily enough in Germany - dad stationed there when it made the main News 'Tageshau' that 'Sowfzemton zay iz zeining der Kevin Keegan from ze HSV' which was doublly interesting as I had sort of adopted Hamburg as my German team when out there so at first sad he was leaving Hamburg then ecstatic when i found out where he was headed! ;-)

...tye sad thing is it wont ever happen again, that a small provincila side even in teh prem gets to sign the double Euriopean Player of the year - the reason ? its obvious, but I was intrigued to know that when he signed for saints his wage was about £150,000 a YEAR , which would work out about £10,000 a week in TODAYS terms - when now as well as costing you 80mil to buy would cost you about £150,000 a WEEK nowadays....

Haha, i'm sorry that it ended like it did.

All this talk of Keegan and the takeover (hopefully) nearing completion with Le Tiss as Chairman i must admit i am so so excited. As a 23 year old, i'm not old enough to have been around for the 70's and 80's but just watching Saints clips from those era's makes me smile and fills me with so much pride.

In my time as a Saints fan, I don't think i have ever been this optimistic about the changes taking place. Providing everything goes to plan with the takeover, i think these could be very exciting times for us.

If we could get anywhere near those days you are in for a treat young man. They were fantastic times to be a Saints fan.