Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

my understanding has always been that Chanrai just needs to outbid any Trust offer by a pound.

They can keep on upping offers but he'll only withdraw when he feels they have reached a figure that he'd accept, and as Derry says, that'll be an amount way beyond their budget - if they actually have one.

I'm not sure that Birch has the power to ignore his offers?

He could say it's not in the best interests of creditors, but that would take some backing up in an appeal court surely?

A very technical point for hardcore Nutjobs only -

Wasn't one of the key FL conditions carefully worded so that they had to lose a significant amount of historic debt and not carry it into the new company? - a stipulation included purely to prevent Chanrai maintaining a hold over the business.

So now that Birch must be eating into PPs needed to cover the football creditor debt, could those debts now become a takeover issue?

Previously they were covered by future PPs - they are no longer covered, and Kanu's is still unresolved.

I know the FL make it up as they go, but did they specifically pinpoint Portpin charges and debt, or was it a general historic debt issue they wanted resolved?

It would seem unfair with that condition imposed that a new business can't carry forward Chinny debt, but it can carry forward Kitson and Kanu's unpaid wages, with no clear strategy as to how they will be paid...

Ignoring the fact that it is highly unlikely that the villainous heroes of 2011-12 will ever see a penny of their agreements!

Perhaps the PDT takeover budget might suddenly require another couple of million on day one - or will the football authorities gloss over that?

Or have I got my extra-tint Nutjob glasses on today and need to get out more?

Presumably because fans could then trade (ie. sell) their shares at any point, perhaps unknowingly, to one of the HNW shareholders, or someone else looking to get a controlling interest in the club. By ensuring that the PST buy 51% of the shares it also means that the whole block of 51% won't be sold to anyone else.

Also if they were offering 'proper' shares (ones that you can buy and sell) they would presumably fall into the trap of having to be FSA regulated......obviously not what is intended..

my understanding has always been that Chanrai just needs to outbid any Trust offer by a pound.

They can keep on upping offers but he'll only withdraw when he feels they have reached a figure that he'd accept, and as Derry says, that'll be an amount way beyond their budget - if they actually have one.

I'm not sure that Birch has the power to ignore his offers?

He could say it's not in the best interests of creditors, but that would take some backing up in an appeal court surely?

A very technical point for hardcore Nutjobs only -

Wasn't one of the key FL conditions carefully worded so that they had to lose a significant amount of historic debt and not carry it into the new company? - a stipulation included purely to prevent Chanrai maintaining a hold over the business.

So now that Birch must be eating into PPs needed to cover the football creditor debt, could those debts now become a takeover issue?

Previously they were covered by future PPs - they are no longer covered, and Kanu's is still unresolved.

I know the FL make it up as they go, but did they specifically pinpoint Portpin charges and debt, or was it a general historic debt issue they wanted resolved?

It would seem unfair with that condition imposed that a new business can't carry forward Chinny debt, but it can carry forward Kitson and Kanu's unpaid wages, with no clear strategy as to how they will be paid...

Ignoring the fact that it is highly unlikely that the villainous heroes of 2011-12 will ever see a penny of their agreements!

Perhaps the PDT takeover budget might suddenly require another couple of million on day one - or will the football authorities gloss over that?

Or have I got my extra-tint Nutjob glasses on today and need to get out more?

If the FL have deemed Portpin unsuitable owners of a league club requiring a golden share to compete it wouldn't matter if Chainrai offered 100 million to buy the club.

If the FL have deemed Portpin unsuitable owners of a league club requiring a golden share to compete it wouldn't matter if Chainrai offered 100 million to buy the club.

The club is one issue and the ground surely a different one. Unless I'm mistaken, the legal obligation of the administrator to maximise the revenue from the sale of assets on behalf of the creditors will dictate that he cannot just accept one bid for the ground without putting it out to other potential buyers. So as Derry says, what is to stop Chinny from bidding more than the Trust?

The FL haven't done this. Not yet. They have "unresolved answers" to criteria they put towards Portpin. The likelihood is of course that Portpin won't pass the Owners' test; but being as PKF have not actually put them forwards as bidders to the FL, they haven't failed as of now (which is why their bid is "suspended" and not cancelled).

The club is one issue and the ground surely a different one. Unless I'm mistaken, the legal obligation of the administrator to maximise the revenue from the sale of assets on behalf of the creditors will dictate that he cannot just accept one bid for the ground without putting it out to other potential buyers. So as Derry says, what is to stop Chinny from bidding more than the Trust?

Birch is selling the club and ground as one lot. The PDT are buying the entire lot, but once they take ownership the ground will then pass to Robinson - who is front £2.75m of the over £5.75m (or thereabouts) PDT bid. Birch is not making two sales.

Birch is selling the club and ground as one lot. The PDT are buying the entire lot, but once they take ownership the ground will then pass to Robinson - who is front £2.75m of the over £5.75m (or thereabouts) PDT bid. Birch is not making two sales.

I am not sure that is correct, but either way it makes no difference. The club/ ground whatever, can be sold to anyone, it's just the golden share that has conditions attached.

I am not sure that is correct, but either way it makes no difference. The club/ ground whatever, can be sold to anyone, it's just the golden share that has conditions attached

It matters because the PST bid is subject to getting the ground too. So if PST don't get ground there will be no 0.02p or whatever it was payment to unsecured creditors. Hence the trust or bust argument given that Chanrai won't pass FL rules on ownership.

Edited by Jimmy_D
Fixing quote formatting

It matters because the PST bid is subject to getting the ground too. So if PST don't get ground there will be no 0.02p or whatever it was payment to unsecured creditors. Hence the trust or bust argument given that Chanrai won't pass FL rules on ownership.

But the pst aren't getting the ground, a property developer is. As for not getting the the 2p in the pound, Chanrai is the only one to have gone through a formal CVA process, the pst are just piggy backing off what the creditors agreed for Chanrai. Unless I have missed smething, no other stipulations have been made by the unsecured creditors on the pst.

A very technical point for hardcore Nutjobs only

I saw it more as an attempt to break the chain, and make sure that if anybody bought the club out of admin this time round they actually paid money for it rather than get it on tick. I don't think it was personal.

Are my community shares transferable?

We should have been made it clear in the prospectus that Community Shares in PST can be transferred with the consent of the Board of PST.

So they've already admitted to one mistake in the share prospectus. Now, what about the others...

Attendance 9,955. Packing the park again.

Just highlights a key flaw in the trust's "business plan". Their budget is based on an average significantly above this, this season looks like a relegation season with or without the -10 points. The attendances won't pick up if they stay in a relegation fight.

The trust also budgeted for a 30,000 total in the 1st rounds of the FA cup, League Cup and JPT and in reality only got 18,857. The trust continue to vastly overestimate the wonderful Pompey support (or lack of support).

Next season in League Two will see even less interest and attendances drop even more. How will the trust make up the shortfall? A 4th administration beckons in the next 2 to 3 years (if not sooner).

Edited by Matthew Le God

Getting the excuses in early I see then, this from one of their boards.

My big worry tonight is the referee Mr Scott.

He's refereed us 3 times before

Home defeat to Doncaster 3-2 - he sent Dicko off (albeit a correct decision for a heinous challenge)

Away defeat in FA Cup to Brighton 3-1 - he sent Kitson off

Away defeat last season 2-0 to Watford Appy's first game in charge and we were dreadful by all accounts.

Not a good track record with Pompey.

Just highlights a key flaw in the trust's "business plan". Their budget is based on an average significantly above this,
Colin Farmery said the other day that the PDT had budgeted for less than 12k attendances. I wonder how much less?

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})