Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

But Wimbledon don't have the option to borrow the football creditor money and use it to build a team...

There's no way pompey will pay that off, it'll be delayed as they spend the PPs on new players - if they do pay those debts instead, I'll present Steve Grant with a fiver in front of St Mary's.

But Wimbledon don't have the option to borrow the football creditor money and use it to build a team...

There's no way pompey will pay that off, it'll be delayed as they spend the PPs on new players - if they do pay those debts instead, I'll present Steve Grant with a fiver in front of St Mary's.

I disagree. Let's not pretend that there won't be severe restrictions placed on the club by the FL and the PST have to be whiter than white.

as an aside, our friend 'Arry excels himself in todays Sun.

Middle pages, moaning about how splits in the QPR team have made it difficult for him.

Back pages : writes in his weekly column referring to Terry going back to England, that splits in teams make no difference to how a team plays.

We know he often contradicts himself, but in the same paper on the same day. That is some going.

AFC Wimbledon fan was on the radio yesterday saying how hard it is for a fan owned team to compete as they have no individuals to pour in their own money, to take a punt on a player etc.

Good.

Part of their strategy is to attract millionaires to invest in return for certain privileges. The reason they've got this far is because some people have dug deep and paid for a loan signing every now and then, or raised money for a signing.

I disagree. Let's not pretend that there won't be severe restrictions placed on the club by the FL and the PST have to be whiter than white.

My suspicion is that the FL have given them a wage restriction of £1.1m next season ;) This is most likely based on their projected turnover in terms of the financial fair play rules [lol].

Never before has a Portsmouth manager come out and stated how much money they can spend next season before the current season is finished! 'Appy managed to squeeze in a quote last year during the summer but that was based on Chinny taking over and giving him £4m, then slashed to £2m before the season started! The only reason I can think of to explain why Guy has been so specific regarding the wages budget is because the FL have been specific with their demands. I'm sure this will all be cleared up once the PDT publishes its open and transparent business plan ;)

Part of their strategy is to attract millionaires to invest in return for certain privileges. The reason they've got this far is because some people have dug deep and paid for a loan signing every now and then, or raised money for a signing.

Slightly different as they were trying to keep the club alive then & now they have no choice but to cut their cloth.

As I said, they'll have to be whiter than white.

I think maybe this particular thread, as epic as it is, has just about run its course. After all, they have finally, after 1773 pages, been taken over.

We should definitely start a new thread though, something like 'PST Failure Saga'?

I think maybe this particular thread, as epic as it is, has just about run its course. After all, they have finally, after 1773 pages, been taken over.

We should definitely start a new thread though, something like 'PST Failure Saga'?

This thread can easily accommodate the next takeover. It's done it before. :)

Don't be silly, because straight after the EPIC FAIL, there'll be another mug along to take them over again

The only way this thread will die is of natural causes ie when there is no oxygen left in the debate - you wait when next season starts and the bestest blue phew suddenly realise that just because the fans think they own the club everything in the garden is not automatically rosy. It was only 3 months after Wilde took over that I started hearing horror stories about the new regime falling out. I predict the fallout down the scag end of the M27 will start around September if not before.

The only way this thread will die is of natural causes ie when there is no oxygen left in the debate - you wait when next season starts and the bestest blue phew suddenly realise that just because the fans think they own the club everything in the garden is not automatically rosy. It was only 3 months after Wilde took over that I started hearing horror stories about the new regime falling out. I predict the fallout down the scag end of the M27 will start around September if not before.

Now if only someone else can put down their prediction as factually as that ;-)

I was thinking that this would be the end of the thread, no more laughs now the PDT has final won the battle for the club and it will be run more as a business, but then I thought there are so many people involved this cannot end well. we'll see, just like the other times new owners have come in and made promises that were not kept and this thread will capture the hilarious moments of it all.

I think you can get a good idea of how the PST will fair by their choice of manager. Handing Guy Wittingham the job "because he has blue blood" appears to be just pandering the mong hoards - a recipe for disaster.

There appears to be a collective amnesia down there for his record from November to February, the famous LLLLLDDDLLLLLLLLLDDLD. I wonder how many 'LLLLDLL's the new chief exec will have to put up with next season before he has to dump Mr Blue Blood on the dole?

Don't be silly, because straight after the EPIC FAIL, there'll be another mug along to take them over again

Fair comments. Getting the next batch of popcorn going as we speak...

Looks like Pompey are going to be taking the whole South East of England by storm next season...

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/LatestNews/news/Pompey-Partner-With-Sondico-4361.aspx

Sondico Professional and Pompey will also join together to run a pilot scheme which may result in up to 20 new youth development centres opening throughout the south, bringing a heightened profile and community involvement across the region.

Pompey CEO Mark Catlin said: “We are proud to announce our new partnership with Sondico Professional.

“Throughout negotiations with us they have demonstrated that they have a real desire to engage with our team. They understand our history and what a big club this is.

“They have offered us not only an outstanding commercial deal, but a genuine desire to work with Portsmouth in the community.

“It’s a fantastic start to the deal to say, hand on heart, that we believe we have the cheapest shirts in English football and hope to see as many kids as possible in the south-east wearing them.

“The deal helps us to recognise our huge and geographically-spread supporter base by taking Pompey back out to the whole regional community of supporters.”

Edited by trousers

I think you can get a good idea of how the PST will fair by their choice of manager. Handing Guy Wittingham the job "because he has blue blood" appears to be just pandering the mong hoards - a recipe for disaster.

There appears to be a collective amnesia down there for his record from November to February, the famous LLLLLDDDLLLLLLLLLDDLD. I wonder how many 'LLLLDLL's the new chief exec will have to put up with next season before he has to dump Mr Blue Blood on the dole?

Bryan Gunn/Norwich.

I still think this has a lot of life left in it yet. You know what they say about committees...despite the need to create a thoroughbred we all know they're going to end up with a camel.:)

Those Racing Camels are expensive ask anybody that has hit one on the Dubai Fujerah road. there is no way they will have enough money for one of them.

Now a goat that has come into Sharjah port and relabelled as sheep they might just about afford :)

Those Racing Camels are expensive ask anybody that has hit one on the Dubai Fujerah road. there is no way they will have enough money for one of them.

Now a goat that has come into Sharjah port and relabelled as sheep they might just about afford :)

Don't be silly, they're in the UK

It will be Prime Steak Mince.

Made out of the Dead Horse they've been trying to flog for 3 years

This thread isn't dead. It wasn't dead after Antonov took over so I don't see why a takeover from a bunch of loons like th PST means this thread is any closer to ending?

You'll only regret locking it when something hilarious pops up and forces you to unlock it.

This will run and run...

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/LatestNews/news/Pompey-Partner-With-Sondico-4361.aspx

They understand our history and what a big club this is.

As demonstrated "by presenting a cheque for £10,000". Ten grand! That's how big they think the club is.

And I love that they will also join together to run a pilot scheme which may result in up to 20 new youth development centres opening throughout the south. Nailed-on then.

I liked this bit; “It’s a fantastic start to the deal to say, hand on heart, that we believe we have the cheapest shirts in English football and hope to see as many kids as possible in the south-east wearing them.

Cue hundreds - nay thousands - of kids throughout the south-east proudly wearing the famous old blue shirt, only to return it two weeks after buying it, follwing a first wash* where the stitching fell apart and the sleeves fell off, or a game in the rain where the colour leached out

I'm pretty sure that Sondico's best-selling range of sports paraphernalia used to be table-tennis bats, but not any more apparently.

*First wash - this phrase open to interpretation as washing of clothes in p********h is not carried out on a regular basis. Or at all.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/cooper-questions-motivation-of-some-of-his-blues-team-mates-1-5042930

‘I’ve enjoyed the second half of my stay here. It’s a fantastic club to be at, that’s for sure.

It’s the biggest club outside of the Championship.

‘Pompey will certainly attract a lot of players. It’s going to be a busy summer and nobody knows who will be here or not.

Edited by trousers

A very amusing article from Neil Allen. Highlights in bold...

At last the Pompey silence is broken - seven years, three months and 19 days later

Published: 28 April 2013

New Pompey chairman Iain McInnes has already broken the mould of his predecessors

5 comments

By Neil Allen

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle played in goal for Pompey, don’t you know.

Certainly Sacha Gaydamak did – and a treasured piece of trivia he proudly imparted. Again. And again. And again.

At least he did the last time I spoke to him – upon his unveiling as Pompey’s then joint-owner.

In fact, it was the only time I ever spoke to the often elusive French/Russian businessman.

In actual fact, until this week it was the last occasion I interviewed the chairman or figurehead of Portsmouth Football Club.

Yes, a mighty seven years, three months and 19 days ago.

Still, on January 6, 2006, on the occasion of his maiden press conference, Gaydamak spoke to his Fratton Park audience.

National newspaper journalists promptly leapt upon this youngest owner of a Premier League club, quizzing him vigorously about the influence of his father, Arcadi.

Little did most of us at that time realise the relevance of the line of questioning and how Gaydamak Jnr’s denials would eventually be proven to be untrue.

Not to worry, Conan Doyle played in goal for Pompey, he would later repeat verbatim to the television cameras, to the radios and to the written press.

We’ll overlook the fact that it was actually Portsmouth AFC he represented, and under the guise of AC Smith.

Since that day, though, Gaydamak, followed by a procession of other owners, chairmen or whatever you want to call them, have not spoken to me.

Sulaiman Al Fahim, Ali Al Faraj, Balram Chainrai and Vladimir Antonov – they were all contacted but declined.

Surely it is not that unreasonable and outrageously demanding for the chief sports writer of The News to want to talk to them?

But nothing. For seven years, three months and 19 days.

That, of course, ended on Wednesday when newly-appointed Pompey chairman Iain McInnes sat down in the Fratton Park boardroom for a chat.

Moments earlier, a press conference had introduced the club’s new seven-man board – and Guy Whittingham as manager – following the successful community takeover bid which has breathed life into the ailing grand old lady.

Undoubtedly, some will have a lack of empathy over my failure to speak to McInnes’ predecessors.

To them, I would simply ask whether the club and its fans have really benefitted from the silences from Gaydamak and Co over that period.

So what of the others?

Well, the closest I ever got to Al Fahim was his spokesman Ivo Ilic Gabara.

A very personable chap and pleasant to deal with, with a penchant for claiming ‘everything is on track’ and calling for patience. In the end Al Fahim departed after 40 days having given no interview – apart from embarrassing himself in a fans’ conference by waving around a piece of paper claiming he had £50m to invest.

During the Al Faraj reign, I did get an interview with Al Faraj’s brother, Ahmed, in a London hotel, arranged by Mark Jacob.

At one point, Ahmed’s phone rang and he told me it was his brother, so I chanced my arm and asked if I could speak to him. Ahmed declined.

He did, however, promise our photographer, Malcolm Wells, he would e-mail five photographs to replace the often-used grainy yellow one of his brother.

We never heard from him again.

As regards Chainrai, perhaps I did myself no favours with the criticism I levied towards him during my match report for the 2010 FA Cup final.

I mentioned how his son was one of the mascots, while Chainrai sat next to Prince William in the Royal Box – all despite no longer being the owner, having put the club into administration.

In all, there were many issues over that article he and his lawyers objected to.

I don’t suppose he was ever going to speak to me after that or let me call him ‘Balu’ like others in the media relished.

Certainly, there were no invites forthcoming to visit him in Hong Kong to watch him chew gum through an interview.

Even the PR firm he eventually employed, Tavistock Communications, refused to deal with me on account of being a sports journalist and not a news reporter.

Convers Sports Initiatives took over on June 1, 2011, yet it would be three-and-a-half months later before Antonov and Roman Dubov spoke publicly.

Even then The News were the only local media not invited to their offices for the occasion.

To make matters even more ridiculous, those who were welcomed were warned to keep quiet about their London date or their pass may be revoked.

It turned out the owners were upset over a News article the previous week in which several supporters, including the late Tony Goodall, had voiced concerns over ticket prices.

Such fans believed the pricing fixed that summer by Portpin was behind low Fratton Park attendances for the first four home games.

When later questioned why The News had been omitted, then-chief executive David Lampitt blamed the owners.

The last time I heard Gaydamak interviewed he told us: ‘Portsmouth Football Club is a business I am investing in.

‘There is no relationship between my father and the club.’

Perhaps with that statement therein lies the reason why, for the past seven years, three months and 19 days, these people didn’t want to speak.

No Neil, it appears that many were happy to speak, they just didn't want to speak to YOU. Factless Allen.

#factlessallen

1072772600.jpg

This is about the standard our beloved factless can produce... this was on the day he was refused entry into the press box at SMS, possibly for the same reasons none of the former skate investors/drains would speal to him.

He is a noddy journo at best, factless

So did Factless ever wonder why all these clueless chairman/ fly by night figureheads/knights of Arabia/Russian gangsters were trying to avoid him. Did he write a big long expose of all their corruption and falsehoods? No he sat back and whinged and wailed. Has he ever heard of investigative journalism where writers will balls and curiousity get out of their comfort zone and rattle a few cages? He is basically an overgrown schoolboy whom The News have given a lap top to - a true pygmy in the intrepid world of serious journalists no less. He'll be fine now - McInnes resident pet journo. God it is vomit inducing and if I see them refer to themselves as a massive club again then I will know their size complex is seriously incurable. Why do they have to keep on insisting to the weary world they are so big?

Heared the 606 Podcast this morning. York City Chairwoman I believe explaining that a drop out of L2 would have meant a revenue loss of £750,000 next season. When pressed on what % of club turnover that would represent she said 50%. So taking York City as a benchmark, the Pompey wage budget of $1.1M would be over 70% of York Citys turnover. Don't give me any bo110x about the Skates not being a top spending club next season. Pay some creditors, ya cheating b@stards.

The new kit announcement has gone down well then....

callum barnes ‏@callumbarnes6

So many people ****ed off about sondico!

Luke Edney ‏@lukeedney

Gutted that Sondico have got their grubby mits on the new #Pompey kit.

Brad Sked ‏@Brad_Sked

Just seen the kits Sondico made for Torquay, I hope Pompey recieve 100% royalties for sales if we have to wear that crap!

JackFurlong ‏@Jackfurlong123

I can deal with league two but one thing I can't deal with is a sondico kit

JackFurlong ‏@Jackfurlong123

Sondico, I'm ****ing ashamed

Will Codling ‏@willcodling

**** off am I wearing a sondico pompey shirt next season

Ciaran McGreal ‏@c_p_mcgreal

@pompeytrust Sondico.... are you sure, what are we a sunday morning football team, these kits better not look what i imagine they will

Tom Lewis ‏@tomtom_lewis

Portsmouth sign shirt deal with Sondico... Safe to say i probably won't be buying a shirt next season then #tacky****

Bryn Barnard ‏@BrynBurger14

@matthewkelman @TMarron_17 Dear god pompey have only gone and got a new kit maker....Sondico !!!! Dear good #SportsDirect

Samuel Hookey ‏@Samhookey

Sondico are now making Pompey kits that's ****ing tragic

Sean sievwright ‏@Buzz_sean96

Sondico is Sunday league kit sponser

JamieBinyon ‏@JamieBinyon

Pompey partnered with bloody sondico

Bradley Saunders! ‏@BradSaundersPfc

Are you ****ing joking #pompey nike, Adidas, Puma, Umbro and Fila all came in to make our shirts next year but we chose Sondico #poor

Matthew Connell ‏@matthewconnell

Wow so Pompey's new kit supplier is sunday morning kids in a park Sondico. Kit better be worth a tenner or this is worse than league 2

Mikey White ‏@Mikey_White_99

Sondico.................... Andrex would be better. #Pompey

Dan Knowles ‏@dgkdanknowles

Portsmouth have paired with Sondico....oh no

Ricko!! ‏@slikrick101

@jamiebrailsford: So #pompey have gone from one 90's chav brand in kappa to another sondico!! #PrayForPompey” it'll be Pony next!

Andy McCallum Sorry to say it but an adult shirt price of £34.99 will most certainly NOT be "the cheapest replica shirt in English football". Given the reputation that precedes Sondico (poor-quality, tear-easy) i'm concerned it will be the cheapest LOOKING shirt in English Football. Why can't THE CLUB make the shirts and merchandise instead? Surely that would create local jobs and put US in charge of the designs instead. Sondico could quite possibly make not only a poor-quality kit but one that looks terrible, and if that happens then we're tied into a contract with them we can't get out from. I know we have fans all over the country but we won't sell too many shirts outside the Portsmouth area.

Brian Curtis £34.99!! This company is the primark of the sporting world. Someone is making serious money, I only hope its the club. Or, maybe this is how they are paying for all the handouts/gifts/donations. Don't be fooled by the indian giver. Shame, I feel this is the first real mistake by the club.

Pull up a chair Brian....it's only just begun....

667125_1.gif

Edited by trousers

Heared the 606 Podcast this morning. York City Chairwoman I believe explaining that a drop out of L2 would have meant a revenue loss of £750,000 next season. When pressed on what % of club turnover that would represent she said 50%. So taking York City as a benchmark, the Pompey wage budget of $1.1M would be over 70% of York Citys turnover. Don't give me any bo110x about the Skates not being a top spending club next season. Pay some creditors, ya cheating b@stards.

They've already offered the entire squad new contracts....

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/whittingham-i-want-them-all-to-stay-1-5042905

Guy Whittingham has revealed he has offered fresh deals to all his Pompey squad.

Whittingham said: ‘Today I will go into the office, make plenty of phone calls, go and meet people and try to do the hard work as quickly as we can to get a squad that is going to be able to compete in League Two."

On the subject of money raising.

As we saw from their Parish Council minutes they had a (nother?) Champers party over raising 802 quid.

So sit back and note THIS tweet and link recognising Saints fans who have raised over 100k FOR CHARITY....

Southampton FC ‏@SouthamptonFC 50m Fans who have raised over £100,000 for @Foundation_SFC were recognised at last week's True Saints Awards: http://sfcne.ws/12U8pH1 #saintsfc

This is a real hoot:-

http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/south-east/89238-portsmouth-fc-owners-set-premier-league-goal

Next season, Pompey will drop into League Two – the fourth tier of English football – but PST spokesman Colin Farmery believes three promotions in quick succession is not out of the question.

"We're a club that has 18,500 in the ground every week so we feel we have a very solid base to work from," he told Insider. "If we reach the Premier League in the next ten years, there'll be a lot of happy people in Portsmouth and at Portpin too, so both sides win."

Three promotions in quick succession? What is the idiot boy Farmery on?

As for the attendances, they have had an average this past season of just 12,232, and their highest attendance of 18433 was itself below the figure plucked out of thin air by the Skates' resident village idiot.

This thread has much more merriment in it yet.

you might be right View but I just don't see them accepting lower league football on a budget.

Too many times in recent years I've thought 'at last, now they'll have to live within their means', only to be caught out by a dodgy move such as the fantasy false accounts that were presented to the high court allowing them to strengthen their squad for the cup run, or the loaning out of players to dodge the 20 man squad rule, or having no real CVA, but announcing one that wouldn't be paid, just to reduce penalties....etc

After you see stunts like that pulled, and they eventually end up with a punishment that just makes them slightly more relegated than they already were, you suspect that they will ignore creditors, wriggle out of the FL restrictions and continue to live beyond their means.

Having the PPs earmarked but not ringfenced means that they can use them all up, and not worry about the debts.

Though I see that the south's leading investigative journalist is now best-placed to expose anything like that, and he's good at telling everyone the truth about dodgy owners.

Maybe not so much a case of jobs for the boys but an undercover assignement?

To quote KK, I would love it, absolutely love it...if they traded solvently and accepted life at the bottom of League Two.

But I don't believe they will.

There'll be a little spending spree on the horizon, dressed up as a frees on the lowest wages, paying their own camping fees and dining on local rodents.

Then we'll have the overseas tour, sold to the few as paid for by someone else.

Until the accounts emerge.

History suggests this will happen - or am I just a jealous Nutjob, who through living on the frontline views our mighty neighbours through red mist?

erm.. why would portpin be happy to see the skaes back in th epremier league in the next 3 years? thought they were no longer involved....

Because the PDT are purported to have offered a Chinny £2m 'windfall' if the club makes it back to the Premier League within the next 10 years.

I'll be amazed if they are back in the NPC in a decade.

You never know. There might be another dodgy Russian out there wanted to launder some money. The interesting thing will be seeing what happens if somebody like that wanted to buy them from the Trust and the small business owners who currently own them. Would they sell, or would they prefer to continue as the small so-called fan-owned entity?

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})