Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Hold on their playing budget is in the top 8 in the division? Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they say they were laughed at by other league 2 clubs before the season started because their budget was so tiny???

Yep. Looks as though we can now add 'thriftiest' to the long list of superlatives that don't fit them

Torquay look like going down. Northampton on the other hand will survive imo. I know one of the players they signed in January, they have invested large amounts on new players and poached Oxford's manager. I genuinely think they'll finish comfortably above the skates who are in real trouble looking at their upcoming fixtures, especially as it seems the other lower sides (Accrington, Gas, Wycombe etc) are all picking up points. Even if they do survive, Jesus they have a massive rebuilding job to do in the summer, not sure how long their budget can survive L2 and the inevitable dwindling crowds and/ or gate revenues on top of FA/ League Cup 1st round KO's.

It does look as if their 'plan' to spend their way straight back into L1 - and worry about balancing the books later - has backfired massively.

I don't think theres a plan B.

Skate Chairman McInnes:-

‘You aim for 70 or 80 per cent and you end up getting 40, but it’s still a pass. That’s how I feel about it.

I'm obviously way out of touch on current education standards. Since when did 40% constitute a pass? Is this GCSEs, where you put your name in the top right hand corner and are awarded a pass, provided that you have spelled it correctly?

I'm obviously way out of touch on current education standards. Since when did 40% constitute a pass? Is this GCSEs, where you put your name in the top right hand corner and are awarded a pass, provided that you have spelled it correctly?

I believe 40% is a pass at degree level (or at least it was when I did it.)

No wonder this country is going down the pan if 40% is/was considered a pass in anything...

I digress...

Easily solved, you could ask easier questions and set a higher benchmark. You have a point though - what is the use of doing a degree if your mark is so low - are any employers going to be impressed by just passing?!

Somewhat reminiscent of the 'Alas Smith & Jones' dialogues, though lacking their talent, wit and originality. Does have a sense of childish (I didn't say 'child-like') naivety though: a bit like two toddlers whining to mum about how 'a big boy pushed us over and ran away'

Edited by Waterside.saint
corrected grammar

their players cant pass to their own player 40% of the time

Easily solved, you could ask easier questions and set a higher benchmark. You have a point though - what is the use of doing a degree if your mark is so low - are any employers going to be impressed by just passing?!

No, they wouldn't. These days you really need to be aiming for a 2.1 class degree at least, which means getting 60% or more. 70%+ gets you a first... But you have to be brilliant or work like a demon to get that. It's not quite like getting 7/10 in a maths test at school!

Getting back on topic, you have to wonder what marks PFC would get this year. I might award them a fail for results, but a First for entertainment ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Quite tempted to go down there tomorrow and lend my support to Beattie and his boys, they've been alright on the road lately so Pompey could be in for a tough match.

Me too, but I'm put off by the £20 ticket price.

If only there was an online survey which allowed me to tell the club prices are too high.

If only there was an online survey which allowed me to tell the club prices are too high.

£20 must be a joke for a league two relegation fight? I was going to do a walk up with my brother to show our support to Beats but think I'll avoid it now! A bit off topic but football really has gone mad when it's a score to watch that 4th tier shower of sh1te

Strange that, because I just filled in a survey and suggested that they increase prices by about 50%

I'm going with a mate from Accrington in the hopes this will finally offer some catharsis for our relegation season. I know they're suffering, but I think I need to *see* then suffering.

Will try to get some pictures of the undoubtedly packed park.

I spy a little unrest amongst the natives, not about the team, but about the local media coverage...

There seems to be a backlash against the template approach.

I think like the rest of us they've finally had enough of plucky player A pledging to do this and blue army hero B bravely battling against that - the main message seems to be, forget the shallow rallying cries and get some points!

Which would have been a great plan, had they thought of it five years ago.

Loving the comments :-)

Appparently AS have sold 8 tickets !!!

Not quite being treated as their Cup Final then :-)

The News made a big deal out of Morecambe only selling a handful of tickets in advance before they went down there earlier in the season, but the fact is that most games at that level don't get near selling out so why bother buying in advance?

‘The performance was bad, it wasn’t great, but to have 51-per-cent possession away from home against a team at the top of the league is a positive for me.

from picking the ball out of the net to kicking off again must take at least a minute. So thats 5 minutes ( circa 5% ) of possession right there.

True, but there cant be too many games where there are more players than away fans !!

Even at that level.

When I was at uni, I can remember travelling to Hereford on a Tuesday night to watch them play Hartlepool - there were 8 fans & 5 police in the away end that night. It happens at that level (even for cup finals).

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})