Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

james-beattie-scarf-640x360.jpg

http://accringtonstanley.co.uk/2014/02/beattie-expecting-hostile-reception/

Stanley manager James Beattie is expecting a hostile reception when he takes his side to Portsmouth – but won’t be phased by a bit of stick from the home supporters.

Beattie spent six and a half years on the south coast with Pompey’s arch rivals Southampton and scored crucial goals to win a number of derbies during his time at St Mary’s.

“I don’t think they’ll give me stick at all,” he laughed. “I don’t mind it. I had it as a player and I’m sure that I’ll get it as a manager too! I think it’s cos the Portsmouth fans like me so much. It’s a love-hate relationship.”

Bloomin' 'eck, I didn't realise my post was than fin-de-siecle! Still, that's what I like about this thread: you can make cultural references and people pick up on them instead of saying 'yerwhat?'

In the absence of MLG, I feel I have to point out that your post was about 14 pages too late to be fin de siècle.

But at least you didn't "go over the top."

Bloomin' 'eck, I didn't realise my post was than fin-de-siecle! Still, that's what I like about this thread: you can make cultural references and people pick up on them instead of saying 'yerwhat?'

In the absence of MLG, I feel I have to point out that your post was about 14 pages too late to be fin de siècle.

But at least you didn't "go over the top."

At the risk of being pedantic, 'fin de siècle' has other meanings beside 'turn of the century', and sue may have been making a cultural reference to '... the closing and onset of an era, as the end of the 19th century was felt to be a period of degeneration, but at the same time a period of hope for a new beginning' - wikipedia says so anyway*

**however** - and its a big **however** - I'll be b*ggered if I can see how #p!sspoorportsmouth and their #tinpot setup can possibly presage any 'period of hope for a new beginning' :shakey:

although I am right alongside the 'degeneration' :nod:

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fin_de_siècle

Fin de siècle (French pronunciation: ​[fɛ̃ də sjɛkl]) is French for end of the century. The term typically encompasses not only the meaning of the similar English idiom turn of the century, but also both the closing and onset of an era, as the end of the 19th century was felt to be a period of degeneration, but at the same time a period of hope for a new beginning.[1] The "spirit" of fin de siècle often refers to the cultural hallmarks that were recognized as prominent in the 1880s and 1890s, including boredom, cynicism, pessimism, and a widespread belief that civilization leads to decadence.[2]

The term "fin de siècle" is commonly applied to French art and artists as the traits of the culture first appeared there, but the movement affected many European countries.[3] The term becomes applicable to the sentiments and traits associated with the culture as opposed to focusing solely on the movement’s initial recognition in France. The ideas and concerns developed by fin de siècle artists provided the impetus for movements like symbolism and modernism.[4]

The themes of fin de siècle political culture were very controversial and have been cited as a major influence on fascism.[5][6] The major political theme of the era was that of revolt against materialism, rationalism, positivism, bourgeois society and liberal democracy.[5] The fin-de-siècle generation supported emotionalism, irrationalism, subjectivism and vitalism,[6] while the mindset of the age saw civilization as being in a crisis that required a massive and total solution.[5]

Fin de siècle culture has been perceived to have influenced 20th century culture, such as Bohemian counterculture having similarities to punk counterculture in that both celebrate a romantic and willful sense of decay and rejection of social order.[7]

I'm hoping for 5-0 tonight. In Accrington's favour, of course

OK own up - From Pompey Pravda's live feed:

19:33 Comment From Sakting on thin ice

Can you believe it? Champions League football to watch on TV and instead here we are glued to a text commentary from a 4th division relegation battle.

Edited by Waterside.saint

Right guys more outrage. I know he's been there for more than a month now but still I find it shocking.

How come plucky, down-to-earth Pompey can afford to have on their books a certain Nicky Shorey, who only 8 months ago would be finishing a rather saucy season's contract in the PL (albeit in a yo-yo club)??

I'm sure Bristol City, regardless of their free fall, can command much higher wages than our neighbours (I know his contract wasn't renewed but the point is the amount)? Where is the money coming from??

Right guys more outrage. I know he's been there for more than a month now but still I find it shocking.

How come plucky, down-to-earth Pompey can afford to have on their books a certain Nicky Shorey, who only 8 months ago would be finishing a rather saucy season's contract in the PL (albeit in a yo-yo club)??

I'm sure Bristol City, regardless of their free fall, can command much higher wages than our neighbours (I know his contract wasn't renewed but the point is the amount)? Where is the money coming from??

Where is the money coming from? Are you serious? Their modus operandi is (1) spend other people's money (2) don't pay it back (3) repeat ad inf.

I don't think I misheard this, but the idiot Barker stated in his pre-match interview on Solent that the defeat at Scun thorpe, would get "the lads feet back on the ground."

I couldn't believe what he was saying as they hadn't done anything to get excited about having fluked a 1-0 against Wimbledon in their previous match and lost to Torquay in their last home game.

Jeff Harris ‏@HarryH73 8m

I see the idiots are singing **** songs again about pedophiles #pompey no need for that at all @officialpompey

ConnorFerguson ‏@AtFergus 7m

@HarryH73 What's that??

Jeff Harris ‏@HarryH73 4m

@AtFergus singing songs about Beattie being a pedophile yes he may be a scummer but why

:mcinnes:

@officialpompey: Attendance: 13,387 (61 Accrington fans) #Pompey

Does anyone know exactly how many season ticket holders they have?

Take off the 61 hardy ASFC fans, the ST holders and the comps, and I bet that doesn't leave many cash sales.

Cash flow? Their cash flow is only flowing one way :)

they need that bigger stadium as soon as possible, then they can sing their classy songs in even greater numbers.

I make that about 2,800 paying customers tonight.

The same numbers as the other small clubs in the bottom tier.

(portsmyth no 962 - we make much more money than other clubs with our massive gates)

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})