Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Distin remembers glory of Pompey's FA Cup win, but trophy was not worth future trouble

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2575873/Sylvain-Distin-remembers-glory-Pompeys-FA-Cup-win-trophy-not-worth-future-trouble.html

‘So was it worth the gamble (of Portsmouth spending money they didn’t have)? No.’

Fair comment?

Looks like an objective assessment by one of their highly-paid mercenaries. Good of him not to sugar the pill. It's precisely the point that they've been 'spending money they didn’t have', in order to get somewhere they've no legitimate right to be, that's provoked the wrath of fair-minded nutjobs .

Edited by Waterside.saint
corrected punctuation & nomenclature

Distin remembers glory of Pompey's FA Cup win, but trophy was not worth future trouble

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2575873/Sylvain-Distin-remembers-glory-Pompeys-FA-Cup-win-trophy-not-worth-future-trouble.html

‘So was it worth the gamble (of Portsmouth spending money they didn’t have)? No.’

Fair comment?

No, no way whatsoever is that a fair comment!

You ask the toy salesman, when they won the FA cup they didn't have any money worries at all, none whatsoever, to even suggest they did is scandalous.

But at least they wanted to win the cup.
perhaps ,we wanted to win the cup but their team of stars got a last minute equaliser at Coventry n one run, and were very fortunate at Preston??? in another run where Crouch got a very late winner against the run of play. Cup football is like that you know.

‘I didn’t think players at this level had long contracts – until I came here.’

I can't believe that a manager would take a job without checking the details of it, even if the job was presented to him on a plate by his mate.

The same mate who sanctioned those long contracts...

Barker will be moaning next that the club has some financial issues that he wasn't aware of.

Must have been another shock when he discovered what division they were in.

Who will be brave enough to tell him about the end of the PPs? :scared:

I read somewhere they had had 100 players in the last two years. 100 two year contracts?...

perhaps ,we wanted to win the cup but their team of stars got a last minute equaliser at Coventry n one run, and were very fortunate at Preston??? in another run where Crouch got a very late winner against the run of play. Cup football is like that you know.

They had one of those easy draws against Man United at Old Trafford on their way to Wembley. I can see our current management bottling that tie the minute our ball came out of the draw.

Portsmouthnil draw again. Another 2 points dropped and not a good result for them considering Wycombe's, Accrington's ,Bristol Rovers' and Mansfield's results. Even Northampton got a point away to the team in second position.

They are certainly some way from being safe whilst they are leaving their play off push rather late.

They had one of those easy draws against Man United at Old Trafford on their way to Wembley. I can see our current management bottling that tie the minute our ball came out of the draw.

If only we had 'arry back as our manager!!

Portsmouthnil draw again. Another 2 points dropped and not a good result for them considering Wycombe's, Accrington's ,Bristol Rovers' and Mansfield's results. Even Northampton got a point away to the team in second position.

They are certainly some way from being safe whilst they are leaving their play off push rather late.

That master tactition Barker said on Solent earlier - 'What more could I do - we finished the game with two strikers and three wingers on the pitch.'

I can't believe nobody has thought of that idea before......

Please stop trying to turn every thread into an anti-MoPo one. This is a sanctuary from the main board so please keep Saints stuff over there where I can ignore the lot of you still moaning about a team selection that took place a month ago. Thank you.

Did I hear right, a Lee Molyneux hat-trick for Accrington today? And also that Accrington went down to 10 men whilst they were 2 up, puts a little context into Monday's cup final result.

Please stop trying to turn every thread into an anti-MoPo one. This is a sanctuary from the main board so please keep Saints stuff over there where I can ignore the lot of you still moaning about a team selection that took place a month ago. Thank you.

Did I hear right, a Lee Molyneux hat-trick for Accrington today? And also that Accrington went down to 10 men whilst they were 2 up, puts a little context into Monday's cup final result.

and Stanley missed a penalty!!

I'm not anti our manager, and have never called him MoPo so eff knows what you're whining about. I've never turned a single thread into an "anti MoPo thread" let alone every thread. And certainly not this thread.

And I think you'll find the Coventry/Portsmouth FA Cup tie that OldNick is still grizzling about happened a wee little bit longer than a month ago.

Here's the thing. I'll post what I want, where I want. As long as is within the topic, which in the context of the couple of previous posts it was.

Thank you.

I'm not going to get into full blown discussion but you're comment includes the part " I can see our current management bottling that tie the minute our ball came out of the draw."

Not sure what part of that is pompey related? Anyway, I asked politely so back to topic.

Haha, thanks Tamesaint, hadn't realised they missed a pen as well. Isn't Molyneux penalty taker as well?

PFA@PFA

The #PFA send their best wishes to N****wo Kanu who has undergone successful open heart surgery #AFC #pompey pic.twitter.com/vufoOpy3qh

Anthony Baldock@Antni_b

@PFA @PompeyNewsNow does that mean we still owe him money?

PompeyNewsNow™@PompeyNewsNow

@Antni_b @PFA #Pompey owe Kanu £155,314.50 which is being settled via three lump-sum payments of £51,771.50 due March 2014, 2015 and 2016.

Anthony Baldock@Antni_b

@PompeyNewsNow @PFA should have bunged the surgeon a brown envelope to slip up

I'm not going to get into full blown discussion but you're comment includes the part " I can see our current management bottling that tie the minute our ball came out of the draw."

Not sure what part of that is pompey related? Anyway, I asked politely so back to topic.

Haha, thanks Tamesaint, hadn't realised they missed a pen as well. Isn't Molyneux penalty taker as well?

Sorry - perhaps I misled a little. The penalty was saved and Molyneux scored with the rebound. He hadn't taken the original penalty.

Edited by Tamesaint

PFA@PFA

The #PFA send their best wishes to N****wo Kanu who has undergone successful open heart surgery #AFC #pompey pic.twitter.com/vufoOpy3qh

Anthony Baldock@Antni_b

@Antni_b @PFA #Pompey owe Kanu £155,314.50 which is being settled via three lump-sum payments of £51,771.50 due March 2014, 2015 and 2016.

Anthony Baldock@Antni_b

The bestest.

PFA@PFA

Anthony Baldock@Antni_b

Anthony Baldock@Antni_b

Stay classy, sk-unts

How many actually paid? I think a few of the girls in my footie team were going, although they didn't sound too excited about it. Given how much they struggle to pay subs/match fees I can't imagine they actually paid..

Do you play football, Sue?

I'd imagine most of the people that went to Fratton paid. Unless they've started letting thousands in for free. But, given how close you are to football (playing and all) you probably know best.

Is it Play up Pompey

OR

Pay up Pompey?

The problem Pompey have....apart from a poor foootball team..

Is the lack of funds coming in..

Many season tickets given away.....

Many freeeebie tickets given out..

Each home game is not returning much in the way of cash..

Once again HMRC will have to beg for their dosh...if history anything to go by..:rolleyes:

Do you play football, Sue.

I'll interrogate them at today's game especially for you! :-) It was an overheard conversation at training: maybe someone was lending them season tickets, or had invited them and was paying. The odds are that Pompey's cash flow was not improved...

Get your tickets for League Two clash

Portsmouth Football Club are delighted to announce that we will offer specially discounted matchday prices for the home fixture against Cheltenham on Saturday, March 8 (3pm kick-off).

This offer is part of our commitment to give as many Pompey supporters as possible the opportunity experience the unique Fratton Park atmosphere at the following fantastic value ticket prices:

- Adults, seniors (60+) and young persons can buy a ticket for just £10

- Junior (under 17) tickets are priced at £5

- Children under 10 (accompanied by an adult) can watch the game for just £1

Read more at http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/article/incredible-cheltenham-pack-the-park-offer-1387204.aspx#7KV5V4qejAGYqLFs.99

Interesting groundswell of opinion among the "skates wot post on t'internet", that if they can just get safely to the end of the season, then they can get a new squad in to replace the current useless bunch (again) during the summer, and push on upwards from there.

They do know that they will have a LOT less money next year than they had this year, don't they?

Get your tickets for League Two clash

Portsmouth Football Club are delighted to announce that we will offer specially discounted matchday prices for the home fixture against Cheltenham on Saturday, March 8 (3pm kick-off).

This offer is part of our commitment to give as many Pompey supporters as possible the opportunity experience the unique Fratton Park atmosphere at the following fantastic value ticket prices:

- Adults, seniors (60+) and young persons can buy a ticket for just £10

- Junior (under 17) tickets are priced at £5

- Children under 10 (accompanied by an adult) can watch the game for just £1

Read more at http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/article/incredible-cheltenham-pack-the-park-offer-1387204.aspx#7KV5V4qejAGYqLFs.99

That's about 2k more than usual isn't it, so tops £20,000 and probably nearer £15,000. Drop in the ocean really.

Interesting groundswell of opinion among the "skates wot post on t'internet", that if they can just get safely to the end of the season, then they can get a new squad in to replace the current useless bunch (again) during the summer, and push on upwards from there.

They do know that they will have a LOT less money next year than they had this year, don't they?

I guess they all missed the snooze article the other day with their manager bemoaning the fact that there were loads of two year contracts handed out last summer.

Unless you're using skate maffs, they still have a whole year left of uselessness in them, so unless they are considering administration yet again, they aren't going to be able to replace the useless bunch they currently have...

I guess they all missed the snooze article the other day with their manager bemoaning the fact that there were loads of two year contracts handed out last summer.

Unless you're using skate maffs, they still have a whole year left of uselessness in them, so unless they are considering administration yet again, they aren't going to be able to replace the useless bunch they currently have...

Nicely put :D

#tinpotlesspompey - 'we defrauded the taxman and stole money from the community just so that we could play in the Premiership for a few seasons, before HMRC found us out & called our bluff'

Edited by Waterside.saint
Corrected for accuracy

17k for L2 is a decent crowd. Even if it's kids for a quid and adults for £10.

Decent crowd it may be, but my god, on twitter they're going on like it's something no other club could ever replicate. They were in the PL just a few years ago. Of course discounts and giveaways will put bums on seats.

Shame they didn't put on a show to encourage repeat custom at full price.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/pompey-takeover-is-an-inspiration-for-city-s-shipyard-1-5924942

THE minister for Portsmouth said the community takeover of Pompey shows the ‘resilience’ of the city.

Michael Fallon’s comments came at Fratton Park after he watched Pompey draw 0-0 to Cheltenham on Saturday.

The MP, appointed to the job by prime minister David Cameron, said the community-owned club showed what could be achieved.

Mr Fallon added: ‘I’ve been stunned by the level of support for the club.

‘To see 17,000 people here supporting the club really is quite extraordinary and bodes extremely well for the future.’

If the minister is really that impressed by the suicidal business model that produced a crowd of 17,000 he could propose selling warships for £100, or paying workers 50p an hour.

He's just desperately pandering to locals and harvesting votes, but there are two heavyweights already on that mission and he is on their patch.

Unless he's willing to squeeze into a 2-man lycra tent and flop off the top board with the agility of a wardrobe, he's too late for the title as the top self-publicising Trust-loving MP in the south.

Re the attendance, the whole point of discounted season tickets and matchday giveaways is to

a. Pack the park to inspire the players.

b. Encourage people back by showing them a great game.

That'll be 0 out of 2 then.

TOTAL matchday income from that huge crowd is £40K?

The same amount Man City will get from about 850 people.

And not even enough to pay Kanu's wages due this month. :o

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})