Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Catlin added the League Two club will also consider compromise agreements with players whose contracts run beyond the summer, but that are not in manager Barker's plans for next season.

They can join the queue with the others. They are pretty good at these compromise agreements- It's just actually paying them that seems to be the sticking point.

They genuinely will never learn will they? Isn't this summer the last of their parachute payments as well? **** or bust time I reckon! http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26513845?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Those parachute payments seem to have been going on far too long for my liking! Its a shame that had to change the rules and increase the length of them, just so they could help them out.

They want to release 80% of their squad in the summer....may even be 90%;)

They want said players.... to agree to early release with the promise they would be paid monthly payments:mcinnes:

over the next 20 years:lol:...until the one or two years of their REMAINING contracts are paid off...:rolleyes:

SOURCE IS MY MATE IN THE PUB WHO KNOWS NUFFFFING:p

I thought there were still 100 ex Pompey players still being paid monthly payments for the next 20 years or so.

It is a shame that the HMRC failed to agree repayment of the 150 million owed...over an 80 year period..

FOR legal purposes....my mate might not have heard all this correctly:rolleyes:

The facts and figures are Pompey type education mafffs.....cuz he was brung up in SARFSEA;)

Edited by ottery st mary

"Someone like Jed is a player we'd like to build the team around. He is young, loves the club but wants to keep his options open"

Sure, he does really Pompey, it's just that he's too young to commit. Sheesh...

he loves the club sooo much he's willing to leave it for the greater good (aka his career).

Increase in player budget, promotion push, renegotiating contracts for players they've signed on long term deals but now no longer want.

Time to break out Dame Shirley again...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Jack Whatmough - contract to Summer 2016

Johannes Ertl - contract to Summer 2016

Andy Barcham - contract to Summer 2016

Ricky Holmes - contract to Summer 2015

Danny East - contract to Summer 2015

Joe Devera - contract to Summer 2015

Sonny Bradley - contract to Summer 2015

David Connelly - contract to Summer 2015

John Sullivan - contract to Summer 2015

Romain Padovani - contract to Summer 2015

Dan Butler - contract to Summer 2015

Tom Craddock - contract to Summer 2015

Simon Ferry - contract to Summer 2015

Wes Fogden - contract to Summer 2015

Ryan Taylor - contract to Summer 2015

Patrick Agyemang - contract to Summer 2015

Ben Chorley - contract to Summer 2015

Marcos Painter - out of contract summer 2014

Nicky Shorey - out of contract summer 2014

Therry Racon - out of contract summer 2014

Jake Jervis - out of contract summer 2014

Jed Wallace - out of contract summer 2014

Ryan Bird - out of contract summer 2014

Ashley Harris - out of contract summer 2014

Jack Maloney - out of contract summer 2014

Adam Webster - out of contract summer 2014

Philips Smith - out of contract summer 2014

Yassin Moutaouakil - out of contract summer 2014

Bondz N'Gala - out of contract summer 2014

Trevor Carson on loan until end of season

Michael Drennan on loan until end of season

Toumani Diagouraga on loan until end of season

Daniel Alfei on loan until end of season

http://www.burtonalbionfc.co.uk/news/article/20140310-rowettprepompey-1408427.aspx

“We play one of the form sides who are going well with some excellent players. We’re going to have to dig deep, go again and make sure we’re ready.

“It’s a game that most of the players will look forward to playing in because of the crowd and the atmosphere and we may need some fresh legs. We’re going to need to go there and play with the same energy and it’s a big game. They’re probably the biggest side in the bottom two divisions and we’re looking forward to it,” said Rowett.

Did someone from Pompey slip something into his tea...?

They've already had the last parachute payment.

"We are convinced we can increase our playing budget..." doesn't sound like a confirmation to me, more like an aspiration. Anybody would think it's early-bird season ticket time again. I wouldn't worry too much about spending next season's gate money over the summer. Something will turn up.

p.s. I think we'll get a useful insight into their financial plight when we see the early-bird ST prices.

Edited by hutch

How do they think they can increase their playing budget when it's limited to a percentage of turnover, and they are currently including the parachute payments in the turnover percentage calculations? In order to do that they'd have to raise more income than this season, because they've already said they're over their estimate for this season and that's WITH the parachutes.

Logically as they (currently) have the biggest crowds in the division they would be able to outspend the rest of the league slightly anyway, but they still wouldn't be able to splash significantly more even so. How they've managed to get themselves into a position where they get 15k crowds (at least this season) and yet can't spend more than their rivals is one of the best bits.

Anyone would think they had some kind of Season Ticket offer likely to be announced soon and they were blatantly telling lies just to dupe the locals into stumping up again, thinking they'll be watching a winning team.

I can see it now: "Last season we asked you for £1000 PLUS the cost of a season ticket - Next season, we only want you to pay £1000 FOR your season ticket..."

Will they ever learn? Well I guess they have. They've learnt plenty over the last few years about how to spend money they don't have. Why stop now?

It all sounds like guff to me to sell tickets for next season. Would love it if they spent big on a promotion push and failed. They would be right in the **** with nobody to blame but themselves this time.

It's all on the back of their 'amazing' home support isn't it.

So when those numbers inevitably tail off - and they will, because they'll be spending a second season in League Two and I imagine hardly any of their supporters signed up for two seasons of it - and the away fans start realising that it's not a once-in-a-lifetime trip anymore and those sales dry up too, where does that leave them?

Totally f*cked - it's great isn't it!

On the Chris Evans breakfast show on the radio this morning, he had his usual spot where he interviews kids about what they will be doing today for the first time. This morning's nipper said that he was going to be the Pompey mascot in their match against Burton Albion. He will come back onto the radio tomorrow to tell Chris how it all went.

I do hope that the mighty giant killers will turn over the Skates

On the Chris Evans breakfast show on the radio this morning, he had his usual spot where he interviews kids about what they will be doing today for the first time. This morning's nipper said that he was going to be the Pompey mascot in their match against Burton Albion. He will come back onto the radio tomorrow to tell Chris how it all went.

I do hope that the mighty giant killers will turn over the Skates

Chris asked the kid who Pompey were playing and the poor kid had clearly never heard of Burton Albion as he made up some completely random name that may have contained some of the right letters. Couldn't make my mind up whether it was an intellect (Portsea Island) issue, or just a measure of how far they have fallen that even their own fans do not know the names of their own competitors.

That'll be a heart-warming Chris Evans interview when a previously-pleasant kid pops up on national radio tomorrow all cross-eyed and sweary - singing about Savile and paedos, ringing a little bell, and trying to explain an imaginary dock strike.

So they think they can shift 10-15 players with another year left on their contract.

I.e. They need to find clubs who want players who've proven they aren't L2 standard, *and* who are willing to pay as much (or more) than Pompey are. Good luck with that!

My mate from Accrington think's they're insane. L2 clubs typically only offer 2 year deals to players who are likely to be poached by other clubs. And yet in the first months (weeks!?) of ownership the PST seems to have been handing them out like candy. I always assumed they'd financially cripple themselves at some point, but even after reading 1920 pages of this thread I can't believe they did it right from the off. They either nuke the budget over the summer by paying the players off, or serve the same dross up next season and watch the attendances plummet.

I can't wait.

So they think they can shift 10-15 players with another year left on their contract.......They either nuke the budget over the summer by paying the players off, or serve the same dross up next season and watch the attendances plummet.

Should be another enjoyable season!

I think they genuinely thought that they would be up around the playoffs or automatic promotion places and hence wanted to tie down their players with long contracts to help them with their journey up the leagues.

Pahahahahahahaha.

I think they genuinely thought that they would be up around the playoffs or automatic promotion places and hence wanted to tie down their players with long contracts to help them with their journey up the leagues.

Pahahahahahahaha.

Ertl in particular would cost a pretty penny (no, not that one) to get rid of with two years left on his deal and one of their highest earners you would think. Barcham seemed to start the season well but has disappeared. I can see their summer being the equivalent of a football jumble sale with junk offered and junk purchased. If Barker can somehow change his whole squad again - which he was cautioning against a few weeks ago and saying that was why MA and GW had struggled - surely with the PPs running out they can only tie them to one year deals? You also have to question some of the coaching there - friend who is a Swindon fan said Simon Ferry was a standout player at L2 level for them and ditto a Gillingham fan I know with Barcham.

You also have to question some of the coaching there - friend who is a Swindon fan said Simon Ferry was a standout player at L2 level for them and ditto a Gillingham fan I know with Barcham.

This is the crux of it for me... there is not a lot to choose between probably 20 of the teams in that league player-wise... it's all about the coaching, the discipline, the motivation, the tactics and the ability to get your players to enact them.

Barker appears to be sh!t at all of that.

:lol: The only thing Ertl should not be "taking for granted " is the arrival of wages due.

To be fair, they really do do Hero to Zero better than any other club - less than a year ago, Player of the Season, now greedy sponger who should do the decent thing and forego his contract. It never ceases to amaze me how nothing ever changes down there.

Roll on next season I say.....

So they think they can shift 10-15 players with another year left on their contract.

I.e. They need to find clubs who want players who've proven they aren't L2 standard, *and* who are willing to pay as much (or more) than Pompey are. Good luck with that!

My mate from Accrington think's they're insane. L2 clubs typically only offer 2 year deals to players who are likely to be poached by other clubs. And yet in the first months (weeks!?) of ownership the PST seems to have been handing them out like candy. I always assumed they'd financially cripple themselves at some point, but even after reading 1920 pages of this thread I can't believe they did it right from the off. They either nuke the budget over the summer by paying the players off, or serve the same dross up next season and watch the attendances plummet.

I can't wait.

goin down

If the players they want to offload take a 50% cut on their contracts, pompey will have to find about £750,000+ to pay them off. :scared:

That's a lot of pledges.

I wonder what's likely to happen...

Players agree to massive paycuts but still leave with the abuse of the few ringing in their ears?

(And they never get paid.)

While equally poor replacement players are signed on equally ridiculous terms because the chance to play for such a massive club in packed stadiums was too much to resist.

That and the unsustainable wages and length of contract not on offer elsewhere.

We are all locked in a relentless cycle of groundhog seasons as the Trust persists with the policies of doom that brought the club to it's scabby knees.

Overspend, fail, gamble, fail really badly, walk away from debt, and repeat.

This thread will eventually consume itself.

Not forgetting, of course, that they still have around £6million previous compromise payments still to make, and that 'compromise agreement' is a polite way of saying 'pay your players to go and play for somebody else'. Not bad for a club at the bottom of the fourth division. I wish we were as rich as that.

This is the crux of it for me... there is not a lot to choose between probably 20 of the teams in that league player-wise... it's all about the coaching, the discipline, the motivation, the tactics and the ability to get your players to enact them.

Barker appears to be sh!t at all of that.

you watch next season, how Pompey's cast offs turn in good performances for their new clubs.

There are a few decent players there at the moment although most are out of contract this summer. Lol

We are all locked in a relentless cycle of groundhog seasons as the Trust persists with the policies of doom that brought the club to it's scabby knees.

Overspend, fail, gamble, fail really badly, walk away from debt, and repeat.

This thread will eventually consume itself.

This reminds me of that motivational adage - "Fail again. Fail better." I think we can safely say that every Pompey failure has been better than the previous one...

The difference between a couple of years ago and getting players to drop their wage demands is that they were very wealth footballers who losing 50-100k is not terminal, the players now losing 10k would be a big thing and so might not walk away quietly

Did anyone else hear the interview with Sol Campbell on 5Live this morning. There was a questions and answers phone in so of course there had to be one skate caller. He wanted to know if Sol felt guilty or embarrassed at the wage he had earned while at Pompey and did he think as a result he was partly responsible for Pompey's financial state. I thought that was real class!

Did anyone else hear the interview with Sol Campbell on 5Live this morning. There was a questions and answers phone in so of course there had to be one skate caller. He wanted to know if Sol felt guilty or embarrassed at the wage he had earned while at Pompey and did he think as a result he was partly responsible for Pompey's financial state. I thought that was real class!

What did he answer? That he would have been their highest earner for ten years if he hadn't been black? :rolleyes:

Did the skate thank him for playing his socks off for them and congratulate him on a job well done? No?

Hero to villain, repeat until fade... :D

What did he answer? That he would have been their highest earner for ten years if he hadn't been black? :rolleyes:

Did the skate thank him for playing his socks off for them and congratulate him on a job well done? No?

Hero to villain, repeat until fade... :D

His answer was he had not received any money from Portsmouth since he had left and he is still owed by them. What a surprise!!

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})