Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

You've gone off on a bit of a tangent there, your original point was that free speech and the ability to hold those in public office to account was greatly reduce with the death of each newspaper. I beg to differ, I would say that free speech was even more achievable on the internet. You only have to look at this forum to notice that a lot of things a said on here that probably wouldn't be said face to face....or what about the Anonymous organisation....or any person that has posted anti government messages in Egypt, Ukraine, Tunisia etc etc. Most of the uprisings were encouraged by posts on facebook, twitter etc, could you imagine trying to do it via the local, or national, paper.

Wikipedia is also a very good example of free speech on the internet, as anyone can type anything they want.

The same apparatus is also used to bring those in public office to account (E petitions, blogs, etc)

What makes you think that the printed press is any more reliable that the information available on the internet? Most papers have a hidden agenda anyway, or certain politics they adhere to, or in some extreme cases, controlled by the state.

You're pretty much confirming that FM is right to be concerned

Are you genuinely suggesting that most of the garbage you can read on the internet and Wiki is an upgrade on what is written in newspapers?

We should not knock or deride the potential demise of any newspaper, no matter which one.

Each newspaper that folds is a nail in the coffin of free speech, and the means of holding those in public office to account.

I am most certainly not a fan of the rabid, frothing-mouthed, mad-staring, pop-eyed loon Richard Littlejohn in the Daily Moan.

But he's got it dead right in this column (dons tin hat to protect against incoming from this forum's newspaper haters).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2573442/Do-really-want-live-country-No-10-aides-arrested-secret.html

I disagree unless it was the Independent closing. The rest for the most part are just megaphones for various oligargical figures such as the Barclay Brothers or in the past, the likes of Robert Maxwell. Until they learn to report objectively and not just parrot the latest dictated missive from political central office (particularly the Mail and Michael Gove), I won't call them journalists and will only read the Indy in terms of newspapers. This isn't a right-left thing (I'm a floating voter in any case), it's just people presenting ill-informed tirades as factual articles and opinion. There will always be a slight leaning but there is no excuse for some the blatant polarisation. Newspapers ought to be subject to the same objectivity criteria as TV, you can still challenge public figures and politicians if they are doing wrong as the Telegraph did on expenses, Guardian did on police corruption and phone hacking.

Are you genuinely suggesting that most of the garbage you can read on the internet and Wiki is an upgrade on what is written in newspapers?

I'm glad I kept this response on file:

You've read Neil Allen's work, right? :lol:

I disagree unless it was the Independent closing. The rest for the most part are just megaphones for various oligargical figures such as the Barclay Brothers or in the past, the likes of Robert Maxwell. Until they learn to report objectively and not just parrot the latest dictated missive from political central office (particularly the Mail and Michael Gove), I won't call them journalists and will only read the Indy in terms of newspapers. This isn't a right-left thing (I'm a floating voter in any case), it's just people presenting ill-informed tirades as factual articles and opinion. There will always be a slight leaning but there is no excuse for some the blatant polarisation. Newspapers ought to be subject to the same objectivity criteria as TV, you can still challenge public figures and politicians if they are doing wrong as the Telegraph did on expenses, Guardian did on police corruption and phone hacking.

Agree and I think most people nowadays get their info from TV for a balanced approach. Newspapers are dying out and mainly organs of the owners . so it sticks to its core readership .

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

We should not knock or deride the potential demise of any newspaper, no matter which one.

Each newspaper that folds is a nail in the coffin of free speech, and the means of holding those in public office to account.

I am most certainly not a fan of the rabid, frothing-mouthed, mad-staring, pop-eyed loon Richard Littlejohn in the Daily Moan.

But he's got it dead right in this column (dons tin hat to protect against incoming from this forum's newspaper haters).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2573442/Do-really-want-live-country-No-10-aides-arrested-secret.html

Can't believe I agree with a Daily Fail columnist but I do.....wash your mouth my son!

No, please tell me about it. I'm always interested in innovative, new ideas.

Even allowing for some of the fantastic investigative work undertaken on this thread, and elsewhere, you wouldn't trust the vast majority of what purports to be "journalism" on t'interweb as far as you could throw it.

Yes, newspaper sales are declining in the face of online news providers, but that might say something more telling about society; how we are developing a generation which has over-inflated expectation levels, and their demands for instant gratification and instant fame, spurred by reality TV, means they share little interest in the world around them.

As somebody said to me recently; the internet is supposed to be a wonderful tool to widen people's knowledge, but it in fact does the opposite. Because all knowledge is instantly available with a few key strokes to the nearst Wikipedia page, people feel they no longer have to learn. They can concentrate solely on their own narrow interests, and if they do need to learn something or find it out, they can just go to Wikipedia.

Again wise words imo, you must have gone to a good school

‘I didn’t think players at this level had long contracts – until I came here.’

I can't believe that a manager would take a job without checking the details of it, even if the job was presented to him on a plate by his mate.

The same mate who sanctioned those long contracts...

Barker will be moaning next that the club has some financial issues that he wasn't aware of.

Must have been another shock when he discovered what division they were in.

Who will be brave enough to tell him about the end of the PPs? :scared:

I can't believe that a manager would take a job without checking the details of it, even if the job was presented to him on a plate by his mate.

Barker will be moaning next that the club has some financial issues that he wasn't aware of.

Please remind me when that will be so I can have a bottle ready.

So they get the last PP, hold on to it but slowly pay ex players etc with that money either weekly or monthly, i wonder what odds i could get that the money goes else where or is it all ring fenced so they cant do that sort of thing,

You're pretty much confirming that FM is right to be concerned

Nope, I'm suggesting that its pretty much exactly the same.

Read FM's initial post on this, he said that with the death of every news paper comes the death of free speech. I was pointing out that the internet provides an adequate forum for free speech. Wikipedia is probably the best example as anyone can write anything, whether is it accurate or not is another matter, but its still the free'est of free speech.

That's made my day reading that. We've had a shortage of deranged statements recently.

:lol:

What has always amused and amazed me about this whole saga is their total inability to learn. They keep on repeating the same actions to achieve the same outcomes with the same level of bemused astonishment. It truly is like evolution has stopped on that foetid island.

What has always amused and amazed me about this whole saga is their total inability to learn. They keep on repeating the same actions to achieve the same outcomes with the same level of bemused astonishment. It truly is like evolution has stopped on that foetid island.

Though to be fair they manage it in a different division each year.

Talking of newspapers, Johnston press, owners of the skate news are looking for £75m from a rights issue to tide them over. Their £300m debt seems to be causing them a problem. I'm sure fact less could offer some advice about 4p in the pound cva agreements and, ahem, share issues.

Genuine lol, well done :lol:

So they get the last PP, hold on to it but slowly pay ex players etc with that money either weekly or monthly, i wonder what odds i could get that the money goes else where or is it all ring fenced so they cant do that sort of thing,

For a moment I thought you were suggesting #lowlypompey were actually going to spend the PP's on what they are supposed to be spent on.....

Unbelievable. You couldn't make it up, heard it all from the skates now. It shows some astonishing front, seeing that the FA Cup 'heroes' are still waiting for unpaid millions from the previous decade owed from THEIR contracts. Can't see Barker and the Trust getting any change here, for a start the PFA will be taking a very keen interest in those comments and if Pompey try messing about with any contracts, they could argue that's a breach of the agreements with football creditors and demand full payment on what their other members are still owed. Sorry Richie, you've got Jonny Ertl for another two years on the books lad, but Wallace is out of contact in the summer if that helps?

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/exclusively-revealead-the-pompey-xi-that-never-was-1-5921589

They all should have worn royal blue and it is a side which would have undoubtedly gone down as one of the game’s greatest.

Now it’s time to reveal, in all it’s glory, the Pompey XI That Never Was – a team chock full of world-class talent that got away....

Barker has a point about contracts needing incentives in them, but obviously he doesn't think players being settled and having firm foundations to allow them to concentrate on their football (rather than where there next contract is coming from) is a good thing. Perhaps the two or three players with multi year contracts are the ones he wants rid of. I'm sure they know who they are and are now fully motivated to perform for their manager.

Ref Pompey players that got away:rolleyes:

Two players mentioned..

Graham Roberts..........Weston Park, Southampton schools..

Not selected by Saints and attempting to get picked up by Saints , Bournemouth and Pompey...

I believe he had a broken leg?......Not selected by any pro team and ended up playing for Dorchester then Weymouth and transferred to Spurs for 30,000.

Martin Chivers....Taunton school and susequently Saints nursery before playing for Saints as 18 year old and then transfer to Spurs..(Frank Saul from Spurs as part of deal..

I was aware of Graham Roberts failing to get a pro contract at Pompey but not Martin Chivers before going into Saints Nursery.

You all know that Darren Anderton Bitterne Park School Southampton schools but not selected by Saints and ending up being signed by Pompey..

Edited by ottery st mary

Just love Redknapp's comments on QPR's staggering financial losses over the past year.

QPR boss Harry Redknapp, speaking at his pre-match news conference on Friday, said:

"The financial figures are from last year - but I'm not in a position to answer questions on them.

"I'm not involved with the finances, I look after the football side of the club.

"One thing that is for sure is that the owners are committed. We're still focused on promotion to the Premier League

"It doesn't alter my position at the club."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26482087

Have you heard a variation on that before from Redknapp?

Yaya Toure

Tony Adams’ period in charge of Pompey may not be remembered as the most glorious but landing Yaya Toure would have been a coup.

So the €10m signing for BArcelona just 12 months previously , and who had just won the Champions League, was going to leave Spain for Fratton.

Were they planning to play Mick Mills and Anelka in the team together when Anelka was in his prime and Mick was 60, or when Mick was in his prime and Anelka was a fetus?

Weren't you reading? It is a side which would have undoubtedly gone down as one of the game’s greatest!!

Weren't you reading? It is a side which would have undoubtedly gone down as one of the game’s greatest!!

I thought it was going to be a story about the youth they nursed through the ranks that then foolishly and disrespectfully left the club before fulfilling their potential and repaying the clubs faith in them.

But no, in true skate fashion it's just another 'we nearly signed him, and him, and him, and him, and him, and him, and him, and him, and him,.... repeat infinitely

They really do have no f***ing idea

I thought it was going to be a story about the youth they nursed through the ranks that then foolishly and disrespectfully left the club before fulfilling their potential and repaying the clubs faith in them.

But no, in true skate fashion it's just another 'we nearly signed him, and him, and him, and him, and him, and him, and him, and him, and him,.... repeat infinitely

They really do have no f***ing idea

#tinpotpompey

Nigel Reo-Coker? F*ck me they were scraping the barrel towards the end of that story weren't they!

to be fair the Reo-Coker and Mcanuff deal was pretty much done, then at last minute Wimbledon ****ed us around asked for more money etc etc and they both went to West Ham who offered more money and obviously were a better club at the time for their career advancement than Pompey

to be fair the Reo-Coker and Mcanuff deal was pretty much done, then at last minute Wimbledon ****ed us around asked for more money etc etc and they both went to West Ham who offered more money and obviously were a better club at the time for their career advancement than Pompey

At the time? Now I don't think much of West Ham, but to imply that Poopey were ever a better club is disgraceful. I'd go as far to say at the time a move from Wimbledon to your lot would be leaving the better club!

The XI that never was: One they could afford.

Interesting to see Drogba in there though, a player we apparently came within an inch of signing at one point.

Don't believe they left out Oxlade-Chamberlain and JWP

:)

I thought it was going to be a story about the youth they nursed through the ranks that then foolishly and disrespectfully left the club before fulfilling their potential and repaying the clubs faith in them

Or even a born on the island XI but got a better offer like Stokes, Ward-Prowse, Chamberlain, Steve Foster, Jack Hobbs, Mark Blake, Claridge, Ray Lewington, Liam Daish, Steve Mills and Paul Moody

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})