Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

I dunno,theres just something fishy (excuse the pun) about the whole thing. Why would they hand over the SOA which you can bet your ass they glossed over to make it sound like they were solvent and still have enough income to survive with parachute payments etc like the guy on SSN yesterday was suggesting, and then the next day come out with an outrageous plea to FIFA to break the laws of the game which suggests they really haven't got a pot to **** in.

The report wasn't prepared by Pompey. It was prepared by an independent firm of accountants (Vantis), who weren't involved in the completion of previous accounts and such like, so you can be sure it wasn't glossing over anything.

In fact, reports are that it confirmed what HMRC are saying, and what everybody else knows - that PCFC Ltd is insolvent.

Edited by gonzo

Cue loads of puerile abuse......

You skate b*****d, you skate b*****d...

Seriously, hope you guys don't vanish (although its looking increasingly bleak as no-one seems to want to push the administration button). Relegation to L1 would be the perfect scenario so we can look forward to another couple of derby games next season. It's what football's all about...

Originally Posted by Linvoys_afro

I've heard that the potential takeover could be from a South African consortium backed by Greg James, the Chief Executive of Central Rand Gold. No idea if that's a rumour based on facts, or just a rumour of what's going to be in The Guardian (if that makes sense). He's been involved with us before.

the fact that he's been involved with them before, makes this sound true.

he probably wants his money back.

I think it's been more than two Pompey fans blaming the PL to be honest.

The News for the time this thread has been running has been full of Pompey fans blaming them for the 'Fit and Proper' test.

How ironic is it that the one person still in situ at your club as your CEO was the one who should have checked them out.... ;-)

For the record, many of us welcomed the thought of Admin as we realised NO-ONE was going to buy us with Lowe at the helm...(for whatever reason).

It was a contentious argument to say the least.

I've heard that the potential takeover could be from a South African consortium backed by Greg James, the Chief Executive of Central Rand Gold. No idea if that's a rumour based on facts, or just a rumour of what's going to be in The Guardian (if that makes sense). He's been involved with us before.

Never heard of him. So it's probably true. Give us a clue where he's from and I'll do the " Person" part of the FAPPT.

He is http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/portsmouth/article5134440.ece

or he isn't http://www.sport24.co.za/Content/Soccer/266/8bb9aa3c915d4586be48413c6fe9b760//James%20not%20buying%20Portsmouth

:rolleyes:

The report wasn't prepared by Pompey. It was prepared by an independent firm of accountants (Vantis), who weren't involved in the completion of previous accounts and such like, so you can be sure it wasn't glossing over anything.

In fact, reports are that it confirmed what HMRC are saying, and what everybody else knows - that PCFC Ltd is insolvent.

I know Pompey didn't prepare it,but it was widely reported that the report was handed over to them from Vantis before it went to the High Court as Pompey wanted to add things to it. What these things were we can only speculate, but i'm sure they didn't want to drop themselves further in the ****.

I just hope you're right and its completely clear that they are insolvent, then the necessary action can be taken.

Rubbish. The majority of you lot on here were slating the Football League for imposing your 10 point penalty, and bleating on about how SHL and SFC were two separate companies for weeks after everyone else had realised that the game was up, and that they were clearly one and the same entity.

Jeez, even SHL's official website just happend to be 'saintsfc.co.uk' for christs sake, yet oh no, the FL were out to get you big time.

Also, at least half of posters on here were shatting themselves over administration right up until it became clear that it was by far your best option to get new owners to start sniffing around. Yet now you tell it like you all knew from day one it was the best thing that could happen, so bring it on! Buuuull****!

Now you slate the couple of our fans (and it was only two) who lash out at the PL, one of whom has obviously lost a shedload of money. Who wouldn't lash out in circumstances like that? I agree that Claridge has it pretty much spot on in that what we were doing was only sustainable until Gaydamak pulled the plug, and yes the infrastructure is almost non-existant at Pompey, which makes it a much harder sell than West Ham or Newcastle.

There are a few of you on here who are genuinely interested in the game and a bit of light banter. Sadly, many of you seem to live in some bitter and twisted little fantasyland where everyone within the SO postcode has a masters degree and matching Tefal-head, and anyone wearing the star and crescent is some sort of care in the community windowlicker.

Say what you like on your own board I suppose, but some of you really should grow up.

Fair for the most part. Although most of us on here felt the 'parent company' argument was against the spirit of the rules but hoped we could somehow get away with it having found a hole in the rules. The FL changed the rules retrospectively and applied a penalty retrospectively, and then held a gun to our heads not to appeal. Probably the right result in the end (certainly for us the way it has panned out) but you could argue it was a crude way of going about it. Admin could soooo easily have been a terrible thing to happen to us. A glance at your roster of recent owners shows that not everyone wanting to own a football club is a Markus. Indeed you could trace your woes all the way back to what happened when you went into admin and Milan came onto the scene and started the whole living the dream model.

Rubbish. The majority of you lot on here were slating the Football League for imposing your 10 point penalty, and bleating on about how SHL and SFC were two separate companies for weeks after everyone else had realised that the game was up, and that they were clearly one and the same entity.

Jeez, even SHL's official website just happend to be 'saintsfc.co.uk' for christs sake, yet oh no, the FL were out to get you big time.

Also, at least half of posters on here were shatting themselves over administration right up until it became clear that it was by far your best option to get new owners to start sniffing around. Yet now you tell it like you all knew from day one it was the best thing that could happen, so bring it on! Buuuull****!

Now you slate the couple of our fans (and it was only two) who lash out at the PL, one of whom has obviously lost a shedload of money. Who wouldn't lash out in circumstances like that? I agree that Claridge has it pretty much spot on in that what we were doing was only sustainable until Gaydamak pulled the plug, and yes the infrastructure is almost non-existant at Pompey, which makes it a much harder sell than West Ham or Newcastle.

There are a few of you on here who are genuinely interested in the game and a bit of light banter. Sadly, many of you seem to live in some bitter and twisted little fantasyland where everyone within the SO postcode has a masters degree and matching Tefal-head, and anyone wearing the star and crescent is some sort of care in the community windowlicker.

Say what you like on your own board I suppose, but some of you really should grow up.

Fair play to you - for once I think that you make some good points. Perhaps we are all so wrapped up watching your train pile up that we tend to forget just how emotional we got whilst ours was ploughing into platform one.

I guess it's easier watching the train, than being on it - for what it's worth - I hope you survive the forthcoming impact. Good luck.

Interesting comments in the second article:

'Earlier today Portsmouth’s chief executive Peter Storrie said: “I’m bored, bored, bored with talking about this,” and refused to make any further comment.

It is reported that Pini Zahavi, the influential Israeli agent, is assisting James in negotiations, and that any bid to takeover Pompey, which is valued at around £70m, would see the club’s £30m debts wiped out.'

1. Storrie doesn't get bored about talking about a Portsmouth takeover and 2. debts of £30m!!!!!!! What happened to the rest?

I reckon if he is interested then he's seen some of the locals parking their caravans with their gold & thinks there must be some buried under the pitch. Wonder if the council will allow a mine to be set up?

'Earlier today Portsmouth’s chief executive Peter Storrie said: “I’m bored, bored, bored with talking about this,” and refused to make any further comment.

It is reported that Pini Zahavi, the influential Israeli agent, is assisting James in negotiations, and that any bid to takeover Pompey, which is valued at around £70m, would see the club’s £30m debts wiped out.'

1. Storrie doesn't get bored about talking about a Portsmouth takeover and 2. debts of £30m!!!!!!! What happened to the rest?

I reckon if he is interested then he's seen some of the locals parking their caravans with their gold & thinks there must be some buried under the pitch. Wonder if the council will allow a mine to be set up?

The 2nd article is dated 2008

The article was from over a year ago... they've managed to wipe out the club's value and double the debt since then :-)

Pini Zahavi..the influential Israeli agent, and friend of Peter Storrie advising Mr James????

Haha...it's starting to smell fishier....Peter Stalling more like.

The 2nd article is dated 2008

The article was from over a year ago... they've managed to wipe out the club's value and double the debt since then :-)

Good spot.

Mind you, if he baulked back then he's not likely to want to go ahead now with double the debts.

It is quite incredible that they've managed to do that despite the sales of their top players: Defoe (£15.75m) & Crouch (£10m) although Muntari would have already gone by that time.

I really hope that when this is all finally settled, someone does some real digging around where the money has gone.

About the status of the SoA. It's a document which the Court ordered to be produced, in order to "factualise" the allegation made in Court by HMRC, to which the the Registrar appeared to subscribe, on the facts before her, that PCFC were continuing to trade whilst insolvent.

The Registrar (Judge) ordered that it must be lodged at the Court by 16h00 on 17th. She won't look at it now, she's busy on other matters, but she will be confident that HMRC have it. HMRC have until 16h00 on 19th to respond. That response will be:

* They are not insolvent, sorry Ma'am. We've been paid.

* They are insolvent, we told you so. Now you have the proof.

* The SoA is inadequate, and we require further & better particulars on the following points ..... to be received in sufficient time for us to respond before the Court date on 1st March

The Registrar's job is to decide between the Parties. Not to make an independent decision whether Pompey are solvent or not. She will review, (probably just) before the trial date, the SoA and HMRC's response, and any other relevant documents. On 1st March she will decide whether HMRC's case, or PCFC's, is the most believable (while bearing in mind her over-riding obligation to protect the creditors of PCFC from further damage).

Unless she is persuaded beyond a shadow of doubt that there is a cast iron, guaranteed, secured way out for Pompey, (by that I mean PCFC as a Company, not as a football club based in Portsmouth), to meet the debts to the petitioners and others (as declared in the SoA) as they fall due, she will grant the order, as requested, in the usual terms.

I leave it to you lot to pontificate on the possible alternatives.

IMHO, absent a stupid wildly rich benefactor with skate tendencies, there will be 19 clubs in the PL at the end of the season.

It is quite incredible that they've managed to do that despite the sales of their top players: Defoe (£15.75m) & Crouch (£10m) although Muntari would have already gone by that time.

tbf, they never paid anything like the full whack for defoe or crouch when they bought them, so probably only received a fraction of that in cash terms when they sold

About the status of the SoA. It's a document which the Court ordered to be produced, in order to "factualise" the allegation made in Court by HMRC, to which the the Registrar appeared to subscribe, on the facts before her, that PCFC were continuing to trade whilst insolvent.

The Registrar (Judge) ordered that it must be lodged at the Court by 16h00 on 17th. She won't look at it now, she's busy on other matters, but she will be confident that HMRC have it. HMRC have until 16h00 on 19th to respond. That response will be:

* The SoA is inadequate, and we require further & better particulars on the following points ..... to be received in sufficient time for us to respond before the Court date on 1st March

The Registrar's job is to decide between the Parties. Not to make an independent decision whether Pompey are solvent or not. She will review, (probably just) before the trial date, the SoA and HMRC's response, and any other relevant documents. On 1st March she will decide whether HMRC's case, or PCFC's, is the most believable (while bearing in mind her over-riding obligation to protect the creditors of PCFC from further damage).

Unless she is persuaded beyond a shadow of doubt that there is a cast iron, guaranteed, secured way out for Pompey, (by that I mean PCFC as a Company, not as a football club based in Portsmouth), to meet the debts to the petitioners and others (as declared in the SoA) as they fall due, she will grant the order, as requested, in the usual terms.

IMHO, absent a stupid wildly rich benefactor with skate tendencies, there will be 19 clubs in the PL at the end of the March.

ive changed it for you ;)

Rubbish....

Much of what you say is true.

My Mum and Dad live in Gosport. A few weeks ago I nipped out to a local takeaway while visiting them and it was full of Portsmouth fans wearing various bits of training kit. I realised then that a lot of "normal" people would lose something very important to them if your club goes under. On a human level, I felt for them and their club. I hoped you'd survive.

Last week your team knocked my team out of the FA Cup with a side that you can't afford to pay. That really grates with me. It's cheating. I feel cheated.

I left the ground proud at the way our 3rd tier team performed and any desire to see you survive was removed. I don't want you to "not exist", there's no bitterness, no twistedness, I just no longer care if you do.

And whilst its true to say that many on here were lobbying for the -10 points to be taken away on a technicality, most realised that it was fair that we were penalised as we had transgressed. At the time we just had trouble dealing with the consequences of the penalty and were desperate to find any way out and anyone to blame (ring any bells?).

When your fan base comes to terms with the fact that your club has transgressed and when the dust has settled then I hope they lay most of the blame in the board room at PCFC Ltd and away from the Premier League. But I also hope they keep a little bit of the blame back for themselves because one key difference between your plight and ours is that many of us were asking questions about the various regimes' stewardship of our club long before we went bang.

I'm sure on reflection you too will come to realise that the book should be thrown at you. Just as it was thrown at us - although it might just be that your book is little heavier than ours was.

May I respectfully suggest that your anger is better directed towards those that have brought your proud little club to the point of extinction.

Much of what you say is true.

My Mum and Dad live in Gosport. A few weeks ago I nipped out to a local takeaway while visiting them and it was full of Portsmouth fans wearing various bits of training kit. I realised then that a lot of "normal" people would lose something very important to them if your club goes under. On a human level, I felt for them and their club. I hoped you'd survive.

Last week your team knocked my team out of the FA Cup with a side that you can't afford to pay. That really grates with me. It's cheating. I feel cheated.

I left the ground proud at the way our 3rd tier team performed and any desire to see you survive was removed. I don't want you to "not exist", there's no bitterness, no twistedness, I just no longer care if you do.

And whilst its true to say that many on here were lobbying for the -10 points to be taken away on a technicality, most realised that it was fair that we were penalised as we had transgressed. At the time we just had trouble dealing with the consequences of the penalty and were desperate to find any way out and anyone to blame (ring any bells?).

When your fan base comes to terms with the fact that your club has transgressed and when the dust has settled then I hope they lay most of the blame in the board room at PCFC Ltd and away from the Premier League. But I also hope they keep a little bit of the blame back for themselves because one key difference between your plight and ours is that many of us were asking questions about the various regimes' stewardship of our club long before we went bang.

I'm sure on reflection you too will come to realise that the book should be thrown at you. Just as it was thrown at us - although it might just be that your book is little heavier than ours was.

Sh.it......can you read my mind?:rolleyes:

My Mum and Dad don't live in Gosport though

IMHO, absent a stupid wildly rich benefactor with skate tendencies, there will be 19 clubs in the PL at the end of the season.

blimey. I bet that post won't get too many laughs when I cut and paste it into an email to my skate mates tomorrow.

OK, I an avid reader of this thread and occasional poster. I had dinner tonight with an advisor close to one of the main protagonists. I'll leave you to work out who...

I am afraid he no better idea about the final outcome but he did plausibly fill in some gaps while also in good advisor fashon leaving plenty of spaces. Enjoy.

1. Gaydmark was close to selling in 2008 but baulked at the price and now somewhat regrets it! This makes perfect sense in light of below. Mandaric sold him a pup in the first place.

2. Gaydmark was busy with his other businesses and let Storrie run the show too much - something he also regrets. All the inflated contacts, badly structured deals et al are Storrie.

3. Arsenal invented the image rights wheeze but paid up when the revenue challenged them. They also didn't guarantee the gross amounts to the players concerned. Storrie did the same deals with two former Arsenal players: Campbell and Kanu but guaranteed them. The revenue were not impressed from this moment on.

4. Utaka may well now be on £27k but only because the club bought out the bulk of the contract to write it down. This is not the only case of this happening and explains where large sums of money went.

5. Al Fahim did have backing lined up but Storrie, who was working on his own deal, stalled the due diligence info and the bank took fright leaving our fake sheik friend to his own stupidity.

6. Thaksin Sinatawara was a potential Storrie consortium not Al Fahim backer.

7. As this thread has just picked up - the key player in all this is not Gaydmark senior but Pini Zahavi. He is the one who has put all the key players together including Azougy and the rest. He takes a cut on everything.

8. Al Faraj minor drove the deal but needed Al Faraj senior to provide the funds (or not). Al Faraj senior doesn't have a passport so it is not surprising he has never come to FP.

9. Chainrai was turned over completely.

OK, I an avid reader of this thread and occasional poster. I had dinner tonight with an advisor close to one of the main protagonists. I'll leave you to work out who...

I am afraid he no better idea about the final outcome but he did plausibly fill in some gaps while also in good advisor fashon leaving plenty of spaces. Enjoy.

1. Gaydmark was close to selling in 2008 but baulked at the price and now somewhat regrets it! This makes perfect sense in light of below. Mandaric sold him a pup in the first place.

2. Gaydmark was busy with his other businesses and let Storrie run the show too much - something he also regrets. All the inflated contacts, badly structured deals et al are Storrie.

3. Arsenal invented the image rights wheeze but paid up when the revenue challenged them. They also didn't guarantee the gross amounts to the players concerned. Storrie did the same deals with two former Arsenal players: Campbell and Kanu but guaranteed them. The revenue were not impressed from this moment on.

4. Utaka may well now be on £27k but only because the club bought out the bulk of the contract to write it down. This is not the only case of this happening and explains where large sums of money went.

5. Al Fahim did have backing lined up but Storrie, who was working on his own deal, stalled the due diligence info and the bank took fright leaving our fake sheik friend to his own stupidity.

7. As this thread has just picked up - the key player in all this is not Gaydmark senior but Pini Zahavi. He is the one who has put all the key players together including Azougy and the rest. He takes a cut on everything.

8. Al Faraj minor drove the deal but needed Al Faraj senior to provide the funds (or not). Al Faraj senior doesn't have a passport so it is not surprising he has never come to FP.

This seems very plausable

The moment Chanrai said 'it's a PL club, of course there's a buyer for it', you just knew nobody had informed him of the concept of relegation. I spent too many hours trying to work out why he would lend Pompey money....and then he said this, and it all fell into place. Basically he's been a bit thick.

Absolutely the best post i've read in ages, this paragraph sums it up perfectly, they won't like it, but you've hit the nail on the head. F*cking Fence Rattlers with Phd's in Business Finance and Administration. I'd rather be a Pompey Windowlicker any day. ;) :D

Just remembered.... Peter Storrie > Thaksin Shinawatara > Dave Richards (Prem Lge)

Hmmmmmm...

Ah thanks for the reminder - was mentioned that the PL had been totally clueless through the whole affair. Not that surprising to readers of the thread though.

It might be a bit sad for Pimpley fans, but that club deserves to go under for all its cheating ways. If ever a company lived beyond its means and made a complete hash of it, that one did. And at the expense of other clubs including Saints. I hope it crashes and burns. At least something better might arise from the ashes for the genuine fans.

I felt embarrassed for those who harped on about it not being fair or right that SFC were punished for SLH going into admin

it was cringeworthy stuff

Agreed. I dreaded administration (and let's face it, it could have really destroyed us) but was somewhat relieved that we faced up to our penalty - however reluctantly. It was (according to the rules) justified after all.

That said, if you think or situations are at all similar PFC123 then you've spent far too much time on this board. Your fans (and it's really not just 1 or 2 of them) have continually whinged about everything and blamed everyone outside the walls of Fratton Park: it's the league's fault that the FAPPT didn't work, because they didn't release the tv money, because they won't give you next years money... and because they now won't let you sell players outside the transfer window. Boo fricking hoo.

It's that Pompey little-islander mentality at work. The people to blame are right inside your own club and your own fans have been defending them all along. I saw a blog on some Football Fan forum deriding us for daring to confront Storrie with Monopoly money. How dare we do that... To an "innocent man" cried the blogger. Jesus, you lot should have lynched him months ago. But then that would mean re-evaluating the role of the man who is also responsible for your success - and I really think there's a healthy chunk of your fanbase who can't do that as it would mean asking that terrible question: "Was it all worth it?"

1. Bollócks. Gayman Snr. saw the opportunity for what it was.

2. Believe that? Fall guy (he's still clinging on as a Director of a Company which is trading whilst insolvent).

3. I think I'm missing the point on this one, but who is liable for income tax, the employer or the employee (absent PAYE of course, which doesn't apply w.r.t image rights contracts)

4. It took Utaka a long time to realise that his wages, as reported, ought to match the amount on which he was paying tax.

5. The ultimate beneficial ownership of PCFC, IMHO, has nothing to do with Storrie or the fake Sheikh, and never has.

6. Not worth consideration. Apparently, he's not a nice man, and in some circles could even be considered as a crook.

7. Notwithstanding the confusion, Dan the Man is not a motivator. He is an enforcer (allegedly).

8. I have a number of passports, and decline the offer of others. If Sky News is to be believed, British Passprts can be bought ( at least for a short visit to Dubai).

9. IMHO, Chainrai's motives are the easiest to understand.

Edited by hutch
spelling and relevance

My old man said something the other day that summed it up in a nutshell. Something along the lines of "basically ML bought Saints for about the same money as pompey owe the HMRC. And He's got a great stadium, training ground and fan base for his money. Why would anyone put money into Pompey?"

Also, there are loads of clubs with a brighter future that's a better proposition for a buyer. Cardiff, Sheffield Wednesday, Palace to name a few that have more going for it. claridge was spot on tonight.

Think about it

If the club were "about to be takenover" why would they be asking the PL to let them sell players now or give them money now they would be owed in a year or so? If they had someone "imminently" about to buy the club then why would they need to do that?

Either

1. The new owner/consortium is just a group of people/person with no money and that will change nothing, again.

or

2. There are no potential new owners and they are nowhere near being taken over because nobody is interested.

For months and months now they have been rumoured to be taken over, look at the name of this thread! In all that time they have had 2 groups takeover and they each in turn made the club worse and a far less prospect for a buyer.

The media are effectively making stuff up. Couple of weeks ago it was Gadafi's son, the following week it was some Prince from Saudi and now this week it is some South African group. Who will it be next week the brady bunch?

A kiwi victor cattermole according to the Grauniad. Clocking up more miles than Phileas Fogg. Another case of desperately over-committing and desperately under-delivering? Comes across on various sites as a mutant hybrid of wacko jacko and mickey f. Think the Grauniad have been played here...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/19/portsmouth-ownership-victor-cattermole

Edited by shurlock

Things looking up for Pompey? First the story abou the South Africans and now this:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/rivals-cry-foul-as-pompey-win-right-to-hold-fire-sale-1904100.html

"Fifa last night gave permission to Portsmouth to take the unprecedented step of selling off their players immediately, outside the regulation transfer window, in order to save the club from extinction."

Incredible if true.:rolleyes: