Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Quinn is a bloody joker, all this "what a great story" and "unbelievable" about them reaching the semi's. Christ sake they only beat Cov (somehow) a 3rd flight outfit (after being outplayed), Sunderland who are on an awful run (at Fratton) and Brum, again at home, with a dodgey decision.

The way this is being spun, anyone would think they're matching Herefored in '74 or Chesterfield in '97. I seem to recall watford were deep in the mire when we played them in the '03 semi, and they were near the bottom of the Championship. What about Wycombe or the afor mentioned Chesterfield.

Did you also hear Quinn's dig at Fulham, how they "let people in for free to fill their ground". In the next breath, he's fawning over the Blue Few.

It's clowns like Quinn and lazy journo's, that fuel the myth of the "worlds best supporters". The facts are all there to see, attendances are published each week.

Poorsmouth in the Semi Final of the FA Cup, is the non story of the season.

Well, it IS a great story for everyone except you lot on here. Journo's may be lazy at times and are usually failed-at-something-so-will-write-about-instead types, but amongst all the wreckage we've seen so far and with god knows how much more to come, Wembley is going be a bit special win or lose.

Knowing our luck we WILL be wound up beforehand, but hey ho, it wouldn't be Pompey if there wasn't another disaster waiting just around the corner. Anyway, have a read, you'll like this one. Incoming!!! ;)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/portsmouth/7386963/Henry-Winter-FA-Cup-victory-shows-Avram-Grant-is-restoring-pride-at-Portsmouth.html

The key to your club will be "What Happens to Fratton Park?", when the assets are sold. I believe this site first pointed out that the reported asset transfer of Fratton from PCFC to Portpin would be invalid, despite all the Pompey sites and newspapers reporting that Chanrai owned Fratton because of the loan default by Falconedrone. So, it will be sold, along with all the other assets, to the highest bidder, by, IMO, a new administrator, appointed by the court.

The next question will be "What will be the most profitable use of Fratton Park, when it is sold?" IMHO, its use as a football ground by a club which will continue to lose money, will not form the basis of a long term business plan. I see no sensible alternative to the sale of Fratton Park for redevelopment, maximising the return for the creditors of PCFC (whoever they turn out to be).

Groundsharing would make the most sense for the 10-12,000 fans that will watch a Championship club spending a season being relegated to the first division, while funds are raised for the construction of a new stadium, a la Brighton. A 25-30,000 seater is the minimum for an aspiring Championship club that Portsmouth, at best, will be in two seasons.

Too many heartless property developers have Fratton Park surrounded. Anyone that profits from the sale of landmines to Angola, are hardly likely to show any affection for the dump that Fratton Park has become, despite the romance of an FA Cup run financed by the taxpayer...

Dunno. The only crumb of comfort re FP is the city council planning commitee have a 'Leisure use only' clause on that land which presumably would make it difficult for a property developer to put houses on it.

Really have no idea now what's going to happen now. Nothing would surprise me anymore.......

Dunno. The only crumb of comfort re FP is the city council planning commitee have a 'Leisure use only' clause on that land which presumably would make it difficult for a property developer to put houses on it.

Really have no idea now what's going to happen now. Nothing would surprise me anymore.......

Easy, a load of houses with Squash/Tennis courts attached. Clause adheared to. Or the developer buys that clause back from the council, as I think, was the case at Wimbledon!.

Well, it IS a great story for everyone except you lot on here.

How is it a great story? I could name 25 semi finalists that have been a better story. "Premier league side wins quater final at home" it's hardly the Matthews final is it?

So the female skate's nether region can fit the unabridged works of Shakespeare, encyclopedias, and still have room for a copy of the 'newspaper of choice' The Sun? (I assume that's intellectually stimulating for the citizens of skatesville).

I love the way our fishy friends are bigging themselves up, it'll make the next inevitable twist in the saga so much sweeter. Humility would have been the sensible course of action.

Edited by Joensuu

Humility would have been the sensible course of action.

Spot on.

If the skates who have never hid and thus, I believe gained our respect, had come on and just said something about how great it feels to have something to shout about amongst all the gloom, most of us would have accepted it.

But no. The gutless ones who have hidden during the bad news come on shouting about how wonderful they are.

For those in the latter group I really do hope their club ceases to exist.

Yep, fair play. But the last line still applies to most of you on this thread who are aching to see us go pop permanently and disappear. It won't happen. Sorry...

Don't think that many REALLY want to see you go forever.where would the fun be in that?

But I do think most Saints feel that your financial crimes are a great deal worse than ours were. We got punished pretty badly for a £4m overdraft we couldn't repay and a mortgage we couldn't service.

A nine point penalty for all that debt that pfc has seems pretty much a slap on the wrist to us, when we are facing at least another year in L1 .Especially true as you knocked us out of the cup with players you patently can't afford.

Still we will , with a bit of luck on our side , see you in the CCC in a couple of years and we can return to the usual stuff.

Oh, and I say this as a taxpayer , as well as a Saints fan !!

Worth a read:

Sam Hammam is, IMO an odious piece of work. For those interested in the history of Wimbledon FC and a study on how to screw a football club, this article by David Conn is a good read:

In 1988, Hammam applied for, and was granted, outline planning permission by the London Borough of Merton to move Wimbledon from their Plough Lane ground to a new stadium in the Wandle Valley. But Hammam did not proceed with a planning agreement which required him to make improvements to the area, and the plan died. Plough Lane was subject to a restriction imposed by the council that it should always be used for sport or recreation. In 1990, Hammam bought out this covenant, leaving Plough Lane free for development, reportedly for between £300,000 and £800,000. The following year the club moved to share Selhurst Park with Crystal Palace and have been stuck there, homeless, ever since.

Hammam himself, rather than the club, owned Plough Lane, via his holding company, Rudgwick Limited, which charged Wimbledon rent. Rudgwick, which is registered at the London offices of Kennedys solicitors, is wholly owned by Sam Hammam; he and his brother Nijad are the sole directors. In 1998, he sold Plough Lane to Safeway for a price reported to be £8m – the Rudgwick accounts for that year show a £5m profit on the sale of a property. Then, in 1997, Hammam sold 80 per cent of the club shares – which he held via a company registered in the British Virgin Islands, for a reported £28m to the Norwegians Kjell Rokke and Bjorn Gjelsten. He sold the rest for a reported £1.2m three years later. His fortune from the former Fourth Division club: around £36m.

Did anyone see the bit that read:

"If we were able to stay I would expect the average gate to be higher in the Conference than it has been in the Premier League this season."

Blink and you miss it, really.

Come to think of it though, it wouldnt really be hard to beat their own average league attendance this season in a catchment area that is supposed to cover.. Oh most of South East England

Ah, so. Me and the wife are going there next year on some free flights we got from Virgin. Just started looking at other costs, hotels, transport etc. Any tips you could give us?

See if your boss will give you the next ten year's wages. After all, they are yours, you just haven't received them yet.

Watch out for airport and local Japanese taxes also. i don't think it's easy to avoid paying them.

Oh! :D

:cool:

Ah, so. Me and the wife are going there next year on some free flights we got from Virgin. Just started looking at other costs, hotels, transport etc. Any tips you could give us?

To be honest, I've never been their yet. I'll be able to let you know more when I get back, any nuggets of info I pick up i'll pass on to you on my return. :)

See if your boss will give you the next ten year's wages. After all, they are yours, you just haven't received them yet.

Watch out for airport and local Japanese taxes also. i don't think it's easy to avoid paying them.

Oh! :D

:cool:

lol, very good ESB, I see what you did there! Do you think we'd get away with it though? Even though your not going to Japan ESB, why don't you start a thread about it and maybe 20,000 other people who aren't going can pass comment on it? :D

Manager Avram Grant* admitted: “There are some great moments in *history and this was one of them.

Yes, I will always remember where I was when that mighty Birmingham City side of 2010went out of the cup.

Pompey midfielder Jamie O’Hara said: “The fans are fantastic.

“They have a bit of magic about them.

What you mean they can tell your fortune?

We all can Jamie, and it doesn't have a happy ending this season.

lol, very good ESB, I see what you did there! Do you think we'd get away with it though? Even though your not going to Japan ESB, why don't you start a thread about it and maybe 20,000 other people who aren't going can pass comment on it? :D

Not really worth it PES, there's precious little schadenfreude involved.

Manager Avram Grant* admitted: “There are some great moments in *history and this was one of them.

Yes, I will always remember where I was when that mighty Birmingham City side of 2010went out of the cup.

Pompey midfielder Jamie O’Hara said: “The fans are fantastic.

“They have a bit of magic about them.

What you mean they can tell your fortune?

We all can Jamie, and it doesn't have a happy ending this season.

I think he meant The PFC management and accountants have a bit of magic about them .... after all they've made more than 86 million quid disappear :-D

I am sure Brendon Bone is one of the more erudite Pompey fans but he falls in to the Storrie Teller mode if he really believes there are 250,000 Council Tax payers in Portsmouth.

The latest population for Portsmouth & Southsea is 197,700 with approx 80,000 householders and a few thousand commercial premises.

Probably out of the 80,000 householders, who are eligible for Council Tax, a fair proportion dont give a toss about Pompey FC and some others dont give a toss about paying their taxes, so the 250k figure is whittled down quite substantially

With Reading's record this season I would think that NO PL club would want to draw them

Pompey wouldn't mind getting them at FP.

Villa aren't out of it yet though.

On another subject, apparently someone said on radio solent this morning that half of the staff at Pompey were gonna be laid off tomorrow?

Pompey wouldn't mind getting them at FP.

Villa aren't out of it yet though.

On another subject, apparently someone said on radio solent this morning that half of the staff at Pompey were gonna be laid off tomorrow?

The way that their luck is running currently I half expect Reading to be barred because they used an ineligible player in an earlier round and thus Ploopy will get a bye.

And will you tame Skates come on to add your advice on how to do it properly? ;)

Come to think of it though, it wouldnt really be hard to beat their own average league attendance this season in a catchment area that is supposed to cover.. Oh most of South East England

I think quite a few Brighton and Gillingham fans would disagree with you about the size of the Skates' cachement area tbf.

I think quite a few Brighton and Gillingham fans would disagree with you about the size of the Skates' cachement area tbf.

It's possible that he was being sarcastic. But otherwise, they would say that was their catchment area based on all the plastics who might go to Krap Nottarf to watch Premiership football.

When the skates are in the Conference or lower, then Brighton and Gillingham will be able to consider that they have a catchment area that extends to almost Southampton. ;)

very little new news on their plight.

Personally I expect them to win the FA cup, not have the points deduction, stay up and then get a billionaire owner.

Seriously, with the proposed redundancies tomorrow will their playing staff be unaffected?

You can just effing see it, cant you - Bill Gates's mate rises from his sick-bed and hear's about plucky little Poopey with the bestest fans in the world conquering adversity with their squad of brave amateurs and underpaid heroes and that yacht sails into Port Solent on Friday.

They get the admin overturned because they were never in it, due to a technicality spotted by HMRC, they win the cup, stay up and move into their new toilet-bowl stadium. (I think that blow to the head yesterday affected me more than I thought.... I'm just going out for a little fresh air.)

You can just effing see it, cant you - Bill Gates's mate rises from his sick-bed and hear's about plucky little Poopey with the bestest fans in the world conquering adversity with their squad of brave amateurs and underpaid heroes and that yacht sails into Port Solent on Friday.

They get the admin overturned because they were never in it, due to a technicality spotted by HMRC, they win the cup, stay up and move into their new toilet-bowl stadium. (I think that blow to the head yesterday affected me more than I thought.... I'm just going out for a little fresh air.)

If it makes you feel better, the Navy vetoed the toilet bowl because our new carriers would scrape their bulwarks on it when they docked.

You can't help but think that there will be a final twist to this saga.

I expect of the mongs down the road will think that HRMC can't possibly shut them down now that they are in an FA Cup Semi final, but truth is it wont make any difference to the facts of the case other than a slight increase in potential income.

They could go from looking forward to a Wembley trip one day, then the next, facing up being liquidated and watching AFC Pompey in some pub league. What a fitting end that would be.

You can't help but think that there will be a final twist to this saga.

I expect of the mongs down the road will think that HRMC can't possibly shut them down now that they are in an FA Cup Semi final, but truth is it wont make any difference to the facts of the case other than a slight increase in potential income.

They could go from looking forward to a Wembley trip one day, then the next, facing up being liquidated and watching AFC Pompey in some pub league. What a fitting end that would be.

If the HMRC liquidate Poopey they get an equal share of the money as there is no football creditor rule, if it stays as Admin the get 50% of eff all as the football creditors will have all the cash before the HMRC get a look in. Therefore logic dictates liquidation is the best option for them.

My suggestion for 'Leisure Use Only' is the Exercise Yard in an extension to Ford Open Prison.

Now remind me again when are Storrietellers, Henry and Milan court cases, I believe it the 14/15 of April.

I think they could start building the Exercise Yard in 8 days time.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})