Who will get promoted this season?

Professor

With some of the top six sides beginning to stumble it is a shame that Saints' didn't do enough earlier in the season because they if they were in the play-offs this year they would go up, and have the resources to be a force in the CCC. It still looks like Norwich and Leeds will be 1 and 2 but of the rest its lottery. Millwall are the current form team but if they make it, I can see them coming straight back as we pass them on the way up next year.

We have one team to look out for and that's Colchester.

They have stumbled big time in the last four games and we hope it continues.

IMHO Swindon, Charlton, Leeds, Norwich and Millwall are showing too much good form to expect a massive slump.

Looking at Huddersfield in 7th does not worry me either as we was 20 points behing them a few weeks back but if we win our two games in hand then it's chopped down to 5.

MK Dons are out of it too as I cant see them winning 9 games out of 11.

So Its an outside chance for us if we continue to gain on Colchester by winning 10 of our remaining games.

I agree having looked at the their last few results - although they do have a fairly easy run of upcoming games. Fingers crossed.

IMHO Swindon, Charlton, Leeds, Norwich and Millwall are showing too much good form to expect a massive slump.

Yep

Looking at Huddersfield in 7th does not worry me either as we was 20 points behing them a few weeks back but if we win our two games in hand then it's chopped down to 5.

Yes, not worried by them either.

So Its an outside chance for us if we continue to gain on Colchester by winning 10 of our remaining games.

Love it to happen. Just worried that of the remaining away games MK Dons, Bristol City, Brighton, Gills and Yeovil (the last three in particular), these pitches could ruin it for us (anyone know what they are like?). I do hope AP has a hastily assembled contingency plan to try to remedy this.

Edited by LVSaint

We have no chance of getting to the play-offs this year.

I know, went out the window when we conceeded against Millwall.

We have every chance as long as its mathematically possible, To say we have no chance is a bit premature and as for conceding against Millwall, don't see what relevence that is to.

Why would MK Dons need to win 9 to get in the playoffs if we can get there with 10 wins ? They're effectively 3 wins ahead of us already.

As ever the eternal optimist!!

Saints struggle away as they have throughout my lifetime, cannot play on anything other than a green carpet and as the bulk of our games are against lower end clubs will farm yards for pitches, will no doubt struggle to raise their game.

We have to win in all probability all the games and the clubs around the current play off places keep winning too. So.... no chance this year!!

as much as i hate to admit it we wont make the playoffs now.. 6th place is going to be on around 80 points this season, so we will have to win 10 out of last 12.... and it still might not be enough. Its a shame because i think we will finish with a total that would normaly have made the playoffs.. Still 10 months ago we could only dream of the team we have/cup final/debt free/ sell out matchs and a certain ML.

So just enjoy the rest of season forget about playoffs ... if it does happen great...if not

WE HAVE STILL GOT OUR CLUB BACK!!

We have no chance of getting to the play-offs this year.

Until it's mathematically impossible, then we've always got a chance. It's very unlikely, we need to win almost all of our games and rely on other results.

But one game at a time, the closer we get the more nervy other teams above us will get

Optimism is fine but in reality there isn't a hope in hell of us closing a 16 point gap in 12 games AND for the teams immediately above us also to not be able to take advantage if one of the top 6 does have an absolute nightmare. The final nail in our play-off aspirations disappeared in the mud of St James Park and with the results that went against us that day.

To answer the original question posed, who will get promoted, Norwich, Leeds and Millwall. We will finish 7th.

We have every chance as long as its mathematically possible, To say we have no chance is a bit premature and as for conceding against Millwall, don't see what relevence that is to.

We threw away two points in the last minute and more importantly lost all our momentum. That result was key, I don't want to sound negative as I'm loving this season but to get a play off spot now would be a miracle.

Swindon have 11 games left I'd expect them to win 5/6 of these plus a couple of draws so that's 80+ points. So Colcheter are the best bet for dropping points & out of the play off's. Still no change for us today we must go on a minimum 8 game winning streak to try to exert some pressure, I think we've been unlucky this year with the play-off pack being so consistent to date. As for going up I'd go for Norwich Definitely, not to sure about Leeds they are slipping up big time at the moment, I just fancy Millwall may just nick automatic. Then its anyone's guess for the play-off's just hope Leeds go up somehow, as its a big rival out or our way for next year.

A very quick look at current form is quite interesting.

Providing we beat Swindon tomorrow, if the 3 other teams vying for the 5th & 6th place (colchester, huddersfield and swindon) repeat their last 10 results, colchester would have 80, swindon would have 78 and huddersfield would have 71. We would therefore have to gain another 28 points from our remaining 11 games to draw level with swindon in 6th place, but our GD means we go above them. That means we can drop 6 more points.

Swindon, whilst having been on a fantastic run, still have to play 4 of the top 5. Huddersfield still have to play 3 (charlton, millwall and colchester), whilst we only have to play Charlton.

Colchester only need to get the jitters and they could drop down a touch as well.

With the weather improving the pitches, I still think that is very, very doable, PROVIDING WE BEAT SWINDON TOMORROW.

A very quick look at current form is quite interesting.

Providing we beat Swindon tomorrow, if the 3 other teams vying for the 5th & 6th place (colchester, huddersfield and swindon) repeat their last 10 results, colchester would have 80, swindon would have 78 and huddersfield would have 71. We would therefore have to gain another 28 points from our remaining 11 games to draw level with swindon in 6th place, but our GD means we go above them. That means we can drop 6 more points.

Swindon, whilst having been on a fantastic run, still have to play 4 of the top 5. Huddersfield still have to play 3 (charlton, millwall and colchester), whilst we only have to play Charlton.

Colchester only need to get the jitters and they could drop down a touch as well.

With the weather improving the pitches, I still think that is very, very doable, PROVIDING WE BEAT SWINDON TOMORROW.

I agree, IMHO, this is a game by game evaluation. First and foremost, we have to beat Swindon, then recalculate, It is very much in our hands at the moment;)

If we we win all our games we have a healthy chance. I reckon it will come down to us or CHarlton for 6th.. Goal difference may come in to play.

Norwich

Leeds

Colchester

Millwall

Swindon

Saints

Char;lton (7th)

Saints-Millwall play off final. Repeat of first game for last game of season ;-)

Optimistic but POSSIBLE!!

We where dead in the water after the first ten matches to many draws at home, not that I'm upset about it becuase I can see good reasons why we had a slow start . To get to the play offs now would require some teams to implode and I just can't see it happening.

Personally I think next year is our season, if we can keep this team together and I see no reason why we can't. Next year St Mary's will be a fortress and we will win most of our home games, while on the road as long as we get draws (with the odd win) we will be fine.

Plus no Leeds, Norwich or Millwall will make for an easier division.

If we we win all our games we have a healthy chance. I reckon it will come down to us or CHarlton for 6th.. Goal difference may come in to play.

Norwich

Leeds

Colchester

Millwall

Swindon

Saints

Char;lton (7th)

Saints-Millwall play off final. Repeat of first game for last game of season ;-)

Optimistic but POSSIBLE!!

Saints v Leeds play off final.

Millwall will get the 2nd automatic.

This is really one of those "head / heart" questions, isn't it? All of us would obviously love to make the playoffs and whilst it's possible we must remain optimistic.

However, the realist in me agrees with my colleague who reckons we will put in a valiant effort and finish 2 or 3 points away.

Next season we will boss this league if we do indeed miss out.

I really rate Saints at the moment, but 16 points is just too much. Man Utd wouldn't make that up in such a short space of time.

I really hope Leeds and Norwich go up. We need as many big hitters out of this League as possible for next season. With Charlton's financial problems etc, I'd like the Us to take the final promotion spot. That will never be any easy game with Boothroyd in charge.

I really rate Saints at the moment, but 16 points is just too much. Man Utd wouldn't make that up in such a short space of time.

I really hope Leeds and Norwich go up. We need as many big hitters out of this League as possible for next season. With Charlton's financial problems etc, I'd like the Us to take the final promotion spot. That will never be any easy game with Boothroyd in charge.

I don't we owe them for all the time wasting and antics on their cabbage patch, plus our poor showing against 10men at st Mary's. I want them down here with us so we can stuff then next season, I'd rather get shot of millwall myself.

There are two benefits from Saints missing out on promotion this year - 1. Another year to build the squad and be better placed to compete in the CCC in 2011, as Leicester have done this year; 2. A chance to go up as Champions, which would give the fans a great season and provide a nice piece of silverware in the cabinet.

There are two benefits from Saints missing out on promotion this year - 1. Another year to build the squad and be better placed to compete in the CCC in 2011, as Leicester have done this year; 2. A chance to go up as Champions, which would give the fans a great season and provide a nice piece of silverware in the cabinet.

To go with the defence of our JPT trophy ;)

I think Norwich and Leeds will take the top two spots. I can see Swindon and Colchester faltering and Saints making a charge up the table.

What I don't want is for Millwall to go out on the final day definately in 3rd place, looking down at Saints in 7th, with us in unstoppable form, and Swindon in 6th needing a win or a draw in their final match.........oh, they play each other.......jumpers for goal posts on the half way line, anyone....

I don't we owe them for all the time wasting and antics on their cabbage patch, plus our poor showing against 10men at st Mary's. I want them down here with us so we can stuff then next season, I'd rather get shot of millwall myself.

Which is why I don't want to play them again. Every time we play Colchester it is always an AWFUL match. I'll struggle to forget the 2-1 defeat at SMS in the playoff season. Never have I seen such a dreadful game before or since, although Plymouth at home last season and our trips to Wycombe and Swindon come close.

Which is why I don't want to play them again. Every time we play Colchester it is always an AWFUL match. I'll struggle to forget the 2-1 defeat at SMS in the playoff season. Never have I seen such a dreadful game before or since, although Plymouth at home last season and our trips to Wycombe and Swindon come close.

Sheffield Wednesday, Blackpool and Forest last season where all shocking, a million times worse than Wycome and Swindon.

Luckily I've somehow managed to forget that Colchester game, was it a Friday night kick off?

Edit - forgot Wolves last season as well, shocking game. Infact nearly all of our away games last season where crap. Last season the two aways I missed where Barnsley and Ipswich - two wins. I was at Reading when we won there and then the next away win I saw was the Southend 3-1 game in October, nine months without seeing us win away. Last season was brilliant.

Edited by Andy_Porter

Part of me thinks it'll be Norwich Charlton and Saints if we have an absolutely blinding run to the end of the season, to make it the three relegated teams bouncing straight back up.

Ok, ok, unlikely (very!) I know, but it could happen.

Sheffield Wednesday, Blackpool and Forest last season where all shocking, a million times worse than Wycome and Swindon.

Luckily I've somehow managed to forget that Colchester game, was it a Friday night kick off?

Edit - forgot Wolves last season as well, shocking game. Infact nearly all of our away games last season where crap. Last season the two aways I missed where Barnsley and Ipswich - two wins. I was at Reading when we won there and then the next away win I saw was the Southend 3-1 game in October, nine months without seeing us win away. Last season was brilliant.

There were a lot of gash games last season. I only saw about 10 and Plymouth sticks out in my mind as being one of the gashiest. It was a 0-0 draw, but there were more entertaining defeats, like our trip to Forest on the last day. As such, there aren't really many that stand out as being worse than the others.

The playoff season and this season have been quite entertaining, so the crap games stand out much more vividly, relative to the others.

Norwich, Leeds and Colchester are the teams I'd least like to face again next season. Scunny, Posh and Plymouth coming down would also help.

Making up a point per game is still a massive ask.

Not sure how we managed to lose so much ground so quickly after the Exeter game at SMS.

In hindsight, I think it can be explained. Prior to the January window, Saints were starting to do extremely well, after starting off the season incredibly slowly, and from 10 points further back. They eventually hauled themselves into a position where they could push on. But just as they were about to set themselves into the position they are in now, they lost a little bit of form, either due to injuries, the teams they played against, having an off-day, and various other reasons.

Then, in the January window, Saints acquired some more class players, but they only started to play together at the end of January, and because Saints were in 2 cup competitions, league games were being pushed out of the way, which meant the new players were getting very few chances to play and gel with each other. It wasn't really until some time through February, that the team we see now properly emerged.

In a sense, being in 2 cup competitions has set Saints back, but it has also given us some great moments. We'll never prove that doing very well in the JPT competition will cost Saints promotion, but it might well have been a contributing factor. The question is... would I change things..? That's the tough one.

Leicester built that squad on one season in L1, with Pearson one of a long line of managers in a very short space of time with a bloated squad to unpick and reshape.

Leicester built that squad on one season in L1, with Pearson one of a long line of managers in a very short space of time with a bloated squad to unpick and reshape.

There's always the arguement that Leicester should never have gone down in the first place with their squad - and that Holloway was a poor manager there, I don't think you can say our relegation squad didn't deserve it, though the managers were pretty much on a par with Holloway...

...which is not to undermine the job Pearson did in getting them winning immediately.

Really think nothing is imposible.

Really believe the play offs are possible - but who else will be there?

I think Leeds will be one of the play off teams - not sure who else, I guess any 3 from about 6.

Millwall, Colchester, Swindon, Huddersfield, Bristol Rovers and Saints.

I know who I want in 2-legs and then a Final at Wembley. I just don't want Colchester!

In hindsight, I think it can be explained.

Falling away from contact with the play-offs can be explained VERY simply by this run of results :

Match Date Opponents Venue Result Position Points

24 28.12.2009 Colchester United away L1-2 13 28

25 16.01.2010 Millwall away D1-1 13 29

26 26.01.2010 Brentford away D1-1 15 30

27 30.01.2010 Stockport County home W2-0 11 33

28 06.02.2010 Exeter City away D1-1 12 34

29 20.02.2010 Norwich City away W2-0 12 37

30 23.02.2010 Wycombe Wanderers away D0-0 11 38

We got 10 points in 2 months from 7 League matches (6 of them were away!!!), but because we were still winning Cup games no-one really noticed. Saints beat Luton, Ipswich and MK Dons twice in that period.

In the meantime, there were a minimum of 21 points up for grabs in the league and some other sides also played more league games than us at the time.

We now have a run of home games to compensate for the run of aways.