Saints 4-1 Carlisle - 2010 JPT Champions - Reaction

Block 5

I must say a thankyou to the Saints ladies at Denham Station who painted my face

Youve just got to get in to the spirit of these rare occassions.

I have decided Im wearing my Saints Shirt all the way back home tomorrow, So if anybody sees a saints fan wearing his saints shirt at T5 or Edinburgh airport for my connecting flight say Hi. I might even buy you a pint.

Anybody else seen The Sun today? As its printed locally (Pompey of all places,bet that ****ed them off) they've done a commerative Saints edition with Lambert on the front. Never seen that from a national paper before so was chuffed when I saw it!

I couldn't even find a mention of the match in the Sun in Selsey Co-op this morning. Maybe they printed a different edition for the dark side

I have just watched the highlights from the BBC. The handball was very funny and when the guy was interviewed afterwards he said something along the lines of I know Lambert is a good striker so I tried my luck. The ref took a couple of seconds to give it so I nearly got away with it.

Fair play to him at least he is honest but stupid.

What a great weekend - Started off with the kids getting their photo taken with Rickie on Saturday outside the saints shop, as if they weren't excited enough about the weekend already ! Totally unexpected and Rickie was superb, he stopped and had time and a smile for everyone.

All of us were looking forward to Sunday and thought it was a great final and day out. Players were great, the sight of so many fans was amazing, and the reaction of my little boy and girl was the icing on the cake.

They've enjoyed their football this year but yesterday really was a day for them to remember. Lets hope we have many more.

Very proud to be a Saint

The skates in gosport were very dismayed to see the front page of the sun on display in ASDA this morning.

I for once took the gamble and wore my shirt whilst out,usually greeted with veiled threats to give me a slap,however a fair few people said congrats for yesterday and said it was a good game and nice to see a south coast club do well.

Certainly surprised me.

Just wish people would stop saying 'only the JPT'. To us it means everything. Amazing day, great team and the best is yet to come. COYR.

Tend to agree with this - we seem to forget that this cup competition is comensurate with our current league standing, we did well in the FA cup to be fair, but this one, we won, and won well. For me the team should be congratulated and the achiement should be recognised for where we currently are, not where we would like, or think we should be in the league(s).

Tend to agree with this - we seem to forget that this cup competition is comensurate with our current league standing, we did well in the FA cup to be fair, but this one, we won, and won well. For me the team should be congratulated and the achiement should be recognised for where we currently are, not where we would like, or think we should be in the league(s).

Well said.

Had a great day and it's brilliant to see Saints at Wembley and win a competition that we entered and take the silverware home at the end. BUT it still didn't feel the same as winning a major competition (not that may of us can remember what that actually feels like). We actually travelled with a Carlisle fan and he was more upset with the way we (sort of) dismissed the competition, than he was with their defeat.

It is where we are but I hope we don't have to enter it again. Certainly not after next season.

Had a great day with my son - he's now firmly established as a Saints fan (over this way they play with a funny shaped ball). We had to sit with the Carlisle fans due to the poor ticket allocation rules, and even they were having a great day out - although it made it easier for us to celebrate when they all left the stadium.

Thank you Saints - this was one of the best days.

I had a truly amazing day and I'm still on a high. I don't think I've had a smile as big as the one I had on my face when we lifted the cup at a football match before. It was a feeling of what can only be described as euphoria.

However, what's with all the negativity on this forum following our best result in years? If it's not about people pocketing money from coaches or how bad the Silver Spoon was, it's how people were stupid for starting a Mexican wave and Pardew had the wrong demeanor!! Get over yourselves. Some people are just not satisfied. We all had a quality day.

I have just watched the highlights from the BBC. The handball was very funny and when the guy was interviewed afterwards he said something along the lines of I know Lambert is a good striker so I tried my luck. The ref took a couple of seconds to give it so I nearly got away with it.

Fair play to him at least he is honest but stupid.

:)...putting the smiley in first to avoid the accusations!

If the accent didn't give it away there's a clue in his surname...to be sure!:D

Actually far from it, it shows that he is dishonest and stupid. He tried to cheat, how is that being honest?

Couldn't you say the same about MLT's betting scam?

Enjoyed the day, had a whole rabble with me from in-laws, friends, direct and indirect family (most of which probably got there quicker than I did from South East London!)

Antonio MOM for me. I was also slightly nervous at 4-1, shame we couldn't get that 5th and keep the clean sheet. Would have been properly steaming for kick-off (a la 2003) had I not been with the in-laws.

Nice to remember a game for a change though!

Wouldn't have even been going had it not been for my company being a Club Wembley member - big stroke of luck that. Was bizarre seeing saints fans as far afield as Greenwich and Lewisham!

Actually far from it, it shows that he is dishonest and stupid. He tried to cheat, how is that being honest?

I agree to a point but lots of players cheat or try this sort of thing but how many admit it. So it could be argued that he is both. I just thought it was funny how he thought he would try his luck.

The skates in gosport were very dismayed to see the front page of the sun on display in ASDA this morning.

I for once took the gamble and wore my shirt whilst out,usually greeted with veiled threats to give me a slap,however a fair few people said congrats for yesterday and said it was a good game and nice to see a south coast club do well.

Certainly surprised me.

surely not? I havent worn my saints shirt at home since I was 10, always too scared!

oh well when i get home next week i'll wander down the high street in all my red and white glory!

The Saints are Coming.

That was a special day from start to finish, everyone will have a moment, a story, or a memory.

Thankyou to the people who helped me get there, thankyou to AP for preparing the players so that nobody froze on the day, thankyou to the players for doing such a professional job, thankyou to the Ref for not being an idiot and ruining the game and thankyou to all the Carlisle and other fans around London in the evening who said great things about our club.

It was just a wonderful day.

Now let's do it again and again and a fecking gain

The Saints are Coming.

That was a special day from start to finish, everyone will have a moment, a story, or a memory.

Thankyou to the people who helped me get there, thankyou to AP for preparing the players so that nobody froze on the day, thankyou to the players for doing such a professional job, thankyou to the Ref for not being an idiot and ruining the game and thankyou to all the Carlisle and other fans around London in the evening who said great things about our club.

It was just a wonderful day.

Now let's do it again and again and a fecking gain

And thankyou Phil for falling asleep on the 8.42 back to Salisbury.It meant more vodka for the rest of us :D. Did Foxy make it back ok.Think we were all a tad wobbly when we left Leicester Sq. "no singing in the pub please" LOL

What a great day! I told my son that this was just going to be a chance for all Saints fans to celebrate our survival and revival and it doesn't matter if we lose.

We got an early train up from Sussex - people talking to us on the platform wishing us well (in Sussex - talking to strangers!!!) - arrived at Weatherspoons just before 10.00 to find hundreds of Saints fans queuing - great atmosphere in the pub.

Wembley stadium - what a great stadium and Bobby Moore's statue brought a tear to my eye - a fitting tribute to a national footballing hero.

We paid for Club Wembley seats - it was like being in a posh hotel - there were more staff than fans!

And then we went outside to look at the Stadium - fantastic!!

Our section had a mixture of fans but gradually the Saints fans got more vocal - but we couldn't hear what the bulk of the Saints fans were singing - we got COYR and the tail end of OWTS. When we were 4-0 at 63 mins I couldn't believe it - for the past few seasons I've been so used to Saints chasing the game or hanging on - it was brilliant!!!

Watched the highlights and realised that we were awesome going forward - Lallana and Rickie were brilliant (not to say the others weren't).

So despite the horrendous cost of the tickets I'm glad I was there and proud to be a Saints fan.

Edited by red&white56
typos !

Yes it was a pretty special day - definitely one to remember for me and my son.

Loved Wembley - the atmosphere, the view and the sight of all those in red and white. Seeing a game out comfortably was a welcome change as well ;)

I remember NC saying something about needing to get some more trophies for the cabinet when he came in. Didn't think that would happen so quickly :)

Onwards and upwards?

This season was our new starting point. It was the end of death, and the beginning of life. With 10 points deducted, and still an uncertain future under a new owner, who the hell would have not been happy to get close to the playoffs and ANY trophy in the bag.

I am elated that we pulled this one off. We beat some good teams to win this one, whatever anyone thinks of the trophy. The only alternative would to have been to LOSE the frickin' thing. ;)

Saints winning a Wembley cup final, scoring 4 goals. Am I dreaming??

Yes it may have been 'just' Carlisle but we've fought hard to get there (as did they) and I still can't quite believe those piks of KD lifting the cup - I'm just so proud to be a Saints fan and so glad I was there.

Yes it may have been 'just' Carlisle but we've fought hard to get there (as did they) and I still can't quite believe those piks of KD lifting the cup - I'm just so proud to be a Saints fan and so glad I was there.

Have now watched the match 4 times and I must say we were really impressive throughout and I'd forgotten how many good opportunities we had. We must make them count for the rest of the season now though!

• 3 years later...
Not sure if I heard some booing when NC was shown on screen... can anyone confirm? ;-)

Yeah that did happen. It's on the dvd. Big cheers for Markus and boos when the camera moved to Nicola because he was putting pressure on Pardew to get into the play offs. Already has his mind made up by that point. But what a day that was.

Yeah that did happen. It's on the dvd. Big cheers for Markus and boos when the camera moved to Nicola because he was putting pressure on Pardew to get into the play offs. Already has his mind made up by that point. But what a day that was.

The boos were for Mawhinney. They just happened to coincide with the cameras switching to cortese at the same time

Not sure if I heard some booing when NC was shown on screen... can anyone confirm? ;-)

Yeah that did happen. Big cheers for Markus and boos when the camera moved to Nicola

Yes there was plenty of boing about cortese where I was.

The boos were for Mawhinney. They just happened to coincide with the cameras switching to cortese at the same time

This conversation. Four years old today.

Cracking day. That striped shirt looks proper ****.

Indeed. I can understand people not liking our lack of stripes this year and the extortionate price but at least it looks professionally made. The shirt from that season looked like 2 mismatched kits sewn together around the shoulders and the big, plastic, stuck on label just looked terrible.

Great memories of that day though. I can't think of another club in England which has had such a ballistic rise to success in 4 years.

Kelvin Davis

Dan Harding

Radhi Jaïdi

José Fonte

Joseph Mills

Paul Wotton

Dean Hammond ©

Michail Antonio

Adam Lallana

Rickie Lambert

Papa Waigo

Substitutes:

Chris Perry

Simon Gillett

Lloyd James

Bartosz Białkowski

David Connolly

Anyone else kind of forget that Gillett and James were still part of our team at that stage? I always associate them with the dire team that got relegated from the Championship, not the one that fought its way back to respectability. Mind you I'd also forgotten that we played Harding at RB rather than James. Incredible that Lambert and Lallana were on a journey there that might still end up with them playing for England in the WC finals this year.

How is this not in Golden Posts?!

Bloody awesome day in all. I remember I was inexplicably living in Southsea at the time (don't worry, was only there a year and didn't catch anything). Traveled up on my own but only had to get as far as the A3 before seeing cars clad in red 'n white and flags. Everywhere we went in London seemed to have been taken over by Saints.

Plenty of moments to cherish. Tinpot trophy, blah blah blah... As an occasion it was worth far more than the sum of its parts.

Anyone else kind of forget that Gillett and James were still part of our team at that stage? I always associate them with the dire team that got relegated from the Championship, not the one that fought its way back to respectability. Mind you I'd also forgotten that we played Harding at RB rather than James. Incredible that Lambert and Lallana were on a journey there that might still end up with them playing for England in the WC finals this year.

From memory that was one of Gillett's very few appearances that season. I think he spent most of it on loan at Doncaster.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Just back in from the game. (I live in Surrey)

Awesome. Just awesome. It was my first trip to Wembley, and I must say it is a very impressive venue - I was so awestruck that I forgot to buy myself a programme! Damn it, will have to see if I can pick one up.

All credit to the fans, you were all superb. It was a sea of red and white, the mexican waves were brilliant. Best chant of the day was inspired by Carlisle - long after the 4th goal, when we went quiet, they sang "You're not singing anymore" to which we replied "Stand Up if you're 4-0 up!" Loved it. My throat is raw now.

We earned this. Performance wise, I would say it was hard going at times, Wotton was definitely the weak link in midfield, I was quite glad when he was taken off. Their midfield dominated at times, but we certainly came into it, and quickly.

The penalty settled the nerves, Super Ricky Lambert was never going to miss that. He played well, but he wouldn't have been my man of the match, I'm going to be biased (as he's my favourite player) but Harding was superb again. It's so hard to give a MOTM today. The defence were great, Jaidi and Fonte won everything, Mills was dodgy at first but really came into the game in the second half. Antonio was busy, a typical "Antonio" game where he;s excellent at times, and off the pace in others. Waigo wasn't brilliant but was always seemingly in the right place at the right time. Lallana is going to be a hell of a player for us. Lambert - well he was Lambert.

I'm shattered now, glad to be home, and looking forward to the Leyton Orient game on Easter Monday.

COME ON YOU SAINTS....

re: Wotton - winning a trophy, at Wembley, with him in midfield was more impressive than anything.

re: Harding - not sure what I was thinking back then, but I do love a trier, and he was played out of position.

re: Lallana - I do get some things right. (Although even back then it was pretty obvious for everyone to see.)

I'd love another return visit to Wembley. When we got knocked out the FA Cup this year I was fairly indifferent amongst the irate, but thinking of the JPT final brings back memories of how great it is to support your team on the big stage. (Granted, it's better if you win...)

Loved that day felt like it was the start of something special and that we'd turned a corner after the dark days before. Tin pot trophy my arse one of my favourite ever days as a saints supporter. Loved the team that season, not the best footballers in the world, but so many characters and good players for their level.

Totally love this day, and it's touched with a tinge of sadness for me, not only around Marcus but also it was the last game I went to with my mum before she died of cancer (she went into a coma and came out to see us in the Championship, but didn't make it through the premier promotion season).

It was a bloody brilliant day out all round, and given I also saw us lose in the ZDS I expect to see us win the FA Cup in about 10 years.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})