Barcelona tonight - an insight into our future?

Turkish

My nipper has been watched by a couple of local professional teams, not for his first touch or vision but simply because he's a big lad who can get stuck in.

As long as English clubs worry about size over technique we will be left behind.

Same thing happened to me as a kid. One of the biggest in my year at 12-15 so was captain of my school and sunday side, played for Soton Schools, watched by Pompey and bizarrely Norwich. I played centre half and centre midfield was fairly good tehnically, not outstanding though but could bully my way through games due to being bigger and also being able to play a bit. Trouble was when i got to 16 and the other lads had caught up i was f*cked and the better players were now the same size and as good as if not better than me technically and i couldn't just bully my way through games anymore by intimidating opponents, so went from being one of the better players to fairly average college/saturday league player.

At school the ones that played in the school team were the biggest and quickest and the smaller ones who were probably more skillful didn't get a look in. The two most used phrases at school and tyro league level were "get rid of it" and "get stuck in" that just about sums up the mentality of kids football back then, sounds like it hasn't changed much.

utterly superb and dispatched the second best team in Europe with ease. With our super chairmans vision and the investment we have seen and been promised into our academy with the aim of being that they fill the first team in years to come were we watching tonight a glimpse into what the future holds for SFC??

Unrealistic you say? Well yes, maybe to think we would spank the English champions with such ease but what we saw tonight was what can be achieved with players with the right grounding. A fantastic style of football coupled with a team ethic and a real comaradere amougst the squad, they clearly played for each other. Whats to stop us picking up the best young English players, schooling them and coaching them, developing that same team spirit and togetherness and developing what our super chairman has already called "The Southampton Style"? I am certainly starting to buy into the dream.

Could we be the English Barcelona? No one else has done it. Why cant we?

I think we could start them off. Get a couple of sons popped out from our other halves, down the Academy at the age of 2, Saints will be on the way.

utterly superb and dispatched the second best team in Europe with ease. With our super chairmans vision and the investment we have seen and been promised into our academy with the aim of being that they fill the first team in years to come were we watching tonight a glimpse into what the future holds for SFC??

Unrealistic you say? Well yes, maybe to think we would spank the English champions with such ease but what we saw tonight was what can be achieved with players with the right grounding. A fantastic style of football coupled with a team ethic and a real comaradere amougst the squad, they clearly played for each other. Whats to stop us picking up the best young English players, schooling them and coaching them, developing that same team spirit and togetherness and developing what our super chairman has already called "The Southampton Style"? I am certainly starting to buy into the dream.

You must be ****ing joking

Just because Cortese has a dream it does not mean it is going to happen

Of course we'll never be a Barca, the historical fact is that they are "more than a club". What we can do is take snippets from their structure and philosophy and tailor them to a club like ours. The first thing is stability, in that all levels play the same way. We also need a structure that does not change when a Manager leaves. Too often a Manager upping and going leaves the whole coaching and scouting set up being disrupted.There is no reason why we can not becaome the destination club for promising youngsters from the whole of the South. Onviously some will have their heads turned by the Man U's and Chelsea's of the world. But throughout our recent history, we have proved time and time again that we can bring youth on, I see no reason why we cant continue to do so, and even move the bar higher.

Same thing happened to me as a kid. One of the biggest in my year at 12-15 so was captain of my school and sunday side, played for Soton Schools, watched by Pompey and bizarrely Norwich. I played centre half and centre midfield was fairly good tehnically, not outstanding though but could bully my way through games due to being bigger and also being able to play a bit. Trouble was when i got to 16 and the other lads had caught up i was f*cked and the better players were now the same size and as good as if not better than me technically and i couldn't just bully my way through games anymore by intimidating opponents, so went from being one of the better players to fairly average college/saturday league player.

At school the ones that played in the school team were the biggest and quickest and the smaller ones who were probably more skillful didn't get a look in. The two most used phrases at school and tyro league level were "get rid of it" and "get stuck in" that just about sums up the mentality of kids football back then, sounds like it hasn't changed much.

Judging by the size of our youngsters playing in the all star game it seems that we are already ignoring this attitude and adopting the "barca" way - albeit with blonde hair!

The future's bright, the future's blonde.

Sir Alex Ferguson: No one has given United a hiding like Barcelona did

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/29/sir-alex-ferguson-barcelona

This article made me think...

Barca won 3-1 and they are the best team Man Utd they have ever faced.

We beat them 6-3 and this was when Giggs, Cantona etc were younger and still playing.

What does that make us? Surely we are already twice as good as Barca.

Has any other team put 6 past Ferguson's Utd?

Exactly, I couldve/shouldve been the next/first Messi if people had trusted in my skill instead of writing me off for not being strong.

BTW didnt Barcelona only win their first European cup in like 1992 or something?

I think that a lot of people are missing the point - yes we might try and like as not fail but if you don't try you sure as hell will not succeed.

I think you're missing the point that this thread is a wind-up. There is no point 'trying' to do something that is an aimless pipedream. There is plenty to aspire to here on planet earth, like a top ten finish in the prem in the next five years, without people being mongs about it. We will never, ever, ever, be the next barcelona. Saying we need to 'try' to do that is a conversation straight off the special needs bus.

Sir Alex Ferguson: No one has given United a hiding like Barcelona did

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/29/sir-alex-ferguson-barcelona

This article made me think...

Barca won 3-1 and they are the best team Man Utd they have ever faced.

We beat them 6-3 and this was when Giggs, Cantona etc were younger and still playing.

What does that make us? Surely we are already twice as good as Barca.

Has any other team put 6 past Ferguson's Utd?

Didn't Newcastle score 6 against them the week before we did ?

As for 3-1, what about our 3-1 when they were so poor in the first half Sir Anal made a shirt change at half time.

Just proves Messi is not a patch on MLT in his prime.

Quite. I was chucked out of a professional team at 17. Their reason? I wasn't "strong or big enough for the professional game". Just about sums up the problem that still exists in this country. Look at Messi, Villa, Xavi and Iniesta! Makes me sick.

I know a player who is a regular in the Championship and used to help with training his school team. He was always an excellent player, strong and intelligent, but there was another player who was streets ahead in terms of talent. He now works in a factory as he never grew much and all of the local teams rejected him for his size. Just 5 years ago he was a far better player than the one who now rarely misses a championship game when fit and topped the OPTA stats for a large part of last season.

Didn't Newcastle score 6 against them the week before we did ?

As for 3-1, what about our 3-1 when they were so poor in the first half Sir Anal made a shirt change at half time.

Just proves Messi is not a patch on MLT in his prime.

I semm to remember they won 5-0 the week before with Phillipe Albert scoring a chip. MLT doing the same capped a pretty bad fortnight for Schmeichel.

I semm to remember they won 5-0 the week before with Phillipe Albert scoring a chip. MLT doing the same capped a pretty bad fortnight for Schmeichel.

You are right, it was 5 nil. So I ask again, has any team except Saints put 6 past Sir Alex Ferguson's men?

In ten years time, Saints will be the team everyone is talking about. We will be consistently challenging for a top four place in the Prem. We will force the British game to sit up and take notice to such an extent that the foundations of the English FA will be shaken into changing the manner in which the grass roots game is structured and played in this country.

This will happen because Cortese has a plan and is a driven successful man. He has a good team around him that believes in him and his plan. There will be a stability at the club not seen since Ted graced the Dell, but this time there will be money and ambition far greater than the club has ever known.

Hell, why not? Anyone who thinks this is impossible and a p*sstake, please explain in clear, intelligeable terms why it could not happen. Seriously!

... no one is saying we can be 'barcelona' FFS, but wind up thread or not, some are merely suggesting that the 'MODEL' they have used is one we should possibly strive towards... we will never be that big, or have that global appeal, that much is obvious, but if clubs like schalke or Beyer Leverkusen (with a 20,000 capacity stadium at the time) can reach teh end stages of the Champions league, there is no reason why with a model based on developing the best youth, we cant one day do something similar - sure we may lose the best players as they did after the those successes, but why not aim as high as possible?

In ten years time, Saints will be the team everyone is talking about. We will be consistently challenging for a top four place in the Prem. We will force the British game to sit up and take notice to such an extent that the foundations of the English FA will be shaken into changing the manner in which the grass roots game is structured and played in this country.

This will happen because Cortese has a plan and is a driven successful man. He has a good team around him that believes in him and his plan. There will be a stability at the club not seen since Ted graced the Dell, but this time there will be money and ambition far greater than the club has ever known.

Hell, why not? Anyone who thinks this is impossible and a p*sstake, please explain in clear, intelligeable terms why it could not happen. Seriously!

Challenging for a top four place is hardly Barcelona style.

... no one is saying we can be 'barcelona' FFS' date=' but wind up thread or not, some are merely suggesting that the 'MODEL' they have used is one we should possibly strive towards... we will never be that big, or have that global appeal, that much is obvious, but if clubs like schalke or Beyer Leverkusen (with a 20,000 capacity stadium at the time) can reach teh end stages of the Champions league, there is no reason why with a model based on developing the best youth, we cant one day do something similar - sure we may lose the best players as they did after the those successes, but why not aim as high as possible?

There are plenty of clubs from other countries in the CL who woundn't get close if they had to qualify via the PL. Do you reckon Schalke would have been in the CL if they had been playing in the PL? We are going to be in one of the toughest leagues in europe chances of breaking the top four would be very very slim.

I believe that children are our future, treat them well ..............................

and we might win the Champions League ;-)

I believe i can fly.

If Saints believe they can fly and Cortese clearly does there is no telling where we might end up.

I believe I can touch the sky (then again didn't Icarus think the same??).

attitude + aptitude = altitude Um.

Just remember in 1976 an unknown Italian American was given a shot at the world heavyweight title of the world against the unbeaten champion, although he lost on points the first time he dusted himself off and adopted a new tactic and changed everything, he learnt to fight right handed and went onto win the title in a stunning upset. The similarities between us and Rocky Balboa are there for all to see. An underdog, Italian links and on a journey to greatness after being given a shot most can only dream of. Remember in Rocky 2 when Rocky said that he couldn't learn to fight right handed, Micky responded, "what's cant? There aint no cant" I think our super chairman should pin that to the wall of every changing room, toilet, office and cupboard in St Marys. We are the Rocky Balboa of the football world.

Edited by Turkish

The similarities between us and Rocky Balboa are there for all to see.

Are you suggesting that Adkins is similar to the guy who made the role of Penguin his own???

And that down at Staplewood we should have a chicken coup and get Lambert and co chasing after them???

I believe

Are you suggesting that Adkins is similar to the guy who made the role of Penguin his own???

And that down at Staplewood we should have a chicken coup and get Lambert and co chasing after them???

I believe

People have suggested we need speed to stand a chance of promotion. Chicken chasing was how they did it in the old days, t'is an ITK fact that if you can catch a chicken you can catch lightening. Chicken chasing could become an important part of the developement of our academy, as well as providing the players with fresh free range chicken raised inhouse to have at lunch times. The only player exempt from chicken chasing is Jonno Quick, as it's quite clear from Niges words that this would be no challenge to him.

There aint no cant.

I like this phrase...this should be our phase, inspiration for the new season....WIFM was last season...There aint no cant for the new season

brilliant

If it's good enough for the Italian Stalion, it's good enough for us.

The reason we will never be Barcelona is thus: Barcelona is a vibrant city of 1.6 million people, it has some of the best night life in Europe, it has stunning architecture, it has an extremely warm and pleasant climate it attracts extremely successful people from all walks of life, not just football.

As a young player with the world at my feet why would I hang around in Southampton, where the highlight of my week is pulling a third class skank in Oceana and taking her back to my massively overpriced apartment in Ocean Village, for any longer than I absolutely have to.

We may become a production line for talent, but we will never be able to hang on to players like Barcelona do unless investment in Southampton, Dubai style, starts to occur for some unfathomable reason.

The reason we will never be Barcelona is thus: Barcelona is a vibrant city of 1.6 million people, it has some of the best night life in Europe, it has stunning architecture, it has an extremely warm and pleasant climate it attracts extremely successful people from all walks of life, not just football.

As a young player with the world at my feet why would I hang around in Southampton, where the highlight of my week is pulling a third class skank in Oceana and taking her back to my massively overpriced apartment in Ocean Village, for any longer than I absolutely have to.

We may become a production line for talent, but we will never be able to hang on to players like Barcelona do unless investment in Southampton, Dubai style, starts to occur for some unfathomable reason.

Global warming might help us on the climate front.

Maybe we should go the opposite way to the rest of the world and look to increase our carbon footprint.

PMSLOL!

Great thread. We need threads like this during the close season, we really do.

Anyway, back to the debate. WTF does climate have to do with anything? We're not in Spain, but we will be playing in the best league in the World and for a football fan or player, that's what counts. Loads of good reasons why players would want to be playing for a top 4 Prem side called The Saints!

I feel we can match Barcelona for architecture & nightlife. They may have the Sagrda Familia, which they haven't even bothered finish yet, compare that to the bargate and the City wall and all the history that goes with it, i know which one i find more interesting. I've been to Barcelona serveral times and the nightlife in the Ramblers and the Sea Front is not a patch on Bedford Place on a busy night. The Pensioners, Revolutions, the Rhino, all quality places and better than anything Barcelona can offer. Plus if its your bag, we have in Poletrix one of the best strip joints in the world. What with West quay shopping and the developments around Guildhall Square, Southampton is very much a city on the up, lively and vibrant whereas i feel Barcelona hasn't really progressed in the 10 years or so between my visits.

"There aint no cant."

A typo perhaps?

In a a parallel universe perhaps. Not impossible but highly improbable. It would take a lot of time and a huge investment. Time we have but we don't have the kind of money needed to make it happen. Next question....

. I've been to Barcelona serveral times and the nightlife in the Ramblers.

My dentist has a picture of the Ramblers on his ceiling, I have to stare at it every time a go there. As a result I can only think of pain when the the Ramblers is mentioned. I'd much rather he had a picture of Soton town centre on a Saturday night up there at least it could confirm that the people in it are feeling as much discomfort as I am.

"There aint no cant."

A typo perhaps?

In a a parallel universe perhaps. Not impossible but highly improbable. It would take a lot of time and a huge investment. Time we have but we don't have the kind of money needed to make it happen. Next question....

No, it's what Mickey said to Rocky Balboa in Rocky 2 when he taught him to fight right handed in order to beat Apollo Creed, "What's cant? there aint no cant" Look what happened then.

We are at the beginings of learning to fight right handed, ie do something different to challenge the worlds elite. If a street fighter from Phillidelphia can win the world heavyweight boxing title, why cant a middle sized English club win the Champions League? There aint no cant.

NO but thanks for making me laugh!