Jack Cork Signing Confirmed

Psycrow

Excellent news and not only because Cork is a great acquisition in midfield where we needed to improve and added to a fit Morgan will make a very effective core for the team. But also the quality of this signing shows that the ambition to press ahead has not diminished, whereas the lack of activity until now was beginning to feel worrying. That worry can be put aside and not just for us fans, because this signing will also send a message to any other player we might be trying to sign that Southampton is a club worth coming to. Centre Back next, please. Not bothered about a striker as I'm hoping we will see more of Connolly this season.

Surely Adkins wont drop his captain so that will mean Hammond and Cork in the middle with Spiderman dropping down to the bench

With Deano, Morgan and Chaplow already in the midfield spots, perhaps Adkins sees Cork as the answer to that centre back spot? Thus meaning we're a striker short of starting our Championship season.

bet you though that in January.

Mental

Nope, actually not. I was pretty sure he would not go mid-season - or to put it better, allowed to go. Price is always better in summer.

I hope to God I am wrong. I really do. But I just can't see him staying if a top prem club comes knocking with 10-12 big ones. I know we might not need to sell him, I know all the arguments about NC not needing the cash etc. But sorry, when push comes to shove and someone offers you the same amount of dosh you paid for the club in the first place (albeit before debt repayment) then the human thing is to take the cash.

Like I said, home I am wrong. He was just about breaking into full bloom last half of last season, he would be triffic in the champ. Maybe we can convince him to stay - use examples of Gareth B and Theo W as examples of two lads who cut their clothe in the champ first before moving on to pastures green.

Surely Adkins wont drop his captain so that will mean Hammond and Cork in the middle with Spiderman dropping down to the bench

Humm Dont think so we have a great midfield, I do think Players will be rotated because with Gully, Hammond, Spiderman, Lallana, OC, Chaplow, Cork, Holmes all of which I rate, in fact think I'll put them in order of talant;

Lallana

Cork

Gully

Spiderman

OC

Hammond

Chaplow

Holmes

I rate Holmes as a good RM although injury prone!

With Deano, Morgan and Chaplow already in the midfield spots, perhaps Adkins sees Cork as the answer to that centre back spot? Thus meaning we're a striker short of starting our Championship season.

I very much doubt we would spend a considerable amount of money on a makeshift centre half. A new striker, we know, is on the agenda. I hope a CB is too, but I get the feeling that will only be done if funds are available after Cork and the new striker (i.e. if we can still afford it). The new deals to Martin and Jaidi suggest that the CB is lower down on the most wanted list.

There were rumours on here (I Know..I know..) that Morgan wanted out last summer .......so maybe he still does

Wasn't that the Summer before just after Pardew was appointed?

I seem to remember it had something to do with the French U20 national coach at the time saying he didn't want Morgan playing League One football.

Plenty of games to use all the midfielders but fonte should be captain.

I agree. Nought against Hammond but have always believed that captains should be able to see the whole picture from defense and be strong leaders/communicators too. Fonte has both in spades.

Unless no other options GKs don't have the ability to communicate - purely because of where they are - and so should be avoided as on-field skippers.

Let's see what he can do when the season starts. This is a different team than the one he guested in before. I welcome him, but we all need to keep a little bit of control of our emotions. It wasn't as if the PL clubs were lining up for him, and his performance at RB for the U21s was flat. On the other hand NA knows what he is buying. It's also good to see our first signing of the season!

Let's see what he can do when the season starts. This is a different team than the one he guested in before. I welcome him, but we all need to keep a little bit of control of our emotions. It wasn't as if the PL clubs were lining up for him, and his performance at RB for the U21s was flat. On the other hand NA knows what he is buying. It's also good to see our first signing of the season!

thank you.

Control our emotions? How terribly British! I've been cranking out tears of joy ever since I heard personally.

Remember Hammond was in fact Pardew's 'Outfield' Captain.....would not be surprised if Fonte is captain come August. Hammond simply isn't good enough for where we are trying to progress too I am afraid. He is a reasonable back up in the Championship but not a 'starter'. I expect Cork and Morgan to be the two in central midfield.

Taken from SSN:

Sunderland have completed the signing of highly-rated midfielder Jack Cork from Chelsea.

Skysports.com revealed earlier on Thursday that a move was close and the news has now been confirmed that Cork has joined the Saints.

The England Under 21 international, who spent last season on loan at Burnley, has signed a four-year deal for a fee thought to be around £750,000.

Great signing, looking forward to seeing him in action in our midfield next season!

Agreed, does anyone have any idea who else was after him, I have heard that Premiere and championship sides were enquiring, just be nice to know who they might of been.

According to SSN, "Sunderland complete the signing of Jack Cork"

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12875_7025371,00.html

I know Sunderland are signing every player under the sun, but how hard is it to have decent reporting?

To be fair, they also play in red and white stripes. So it's an understandable mistake to be made by a professional journalist. :rolleyes:

1268640444-jack-cork.jpg

On his move to Southampton, Jack Cork made the following comment:

' I came here because of Southampton's lack of Ambition. This is a club that has no money and the manager cannot attract players to the team. I also came here because the owners, the Family of Mr Leibherr, are selling the club and I understand that the chairman refuses to sign anyone or spend any money and I am scared of him and don't like the look of him at all. I also came here because, as I had another year on my contract with a premier league outfit, no one else wanted me so I had nothing better to do than drop a division as, lets be honest, i'm not very good and anyone could get into the U21 team.'

Jack Cork is class. Great signing.

They think so in Burnley too, I just went on the sky sports web site to see what they had to say, at the bottom were a few comments, one by a Burnley fan who starts with the following;

" I am a Burnley fan and I am disgusting, Burnley is a much bigger club than Southampton, they were in league 1 just 2 months ago" Just loved the first bit,

' I came here because of Southampton's lack of Ambition. This is a club that has no money and the manager cannot attract players to the team. I also came here because the owners, the Family of Mr Leibherr, are selling the club and I understand that the chairman refuses to sign anyone or spend any money and I am scared of him and don't like the look of him at all. I also came here because, as I had another year on my contract with a premier league outfit, no one else wanted me so I had nothing better to do than drop a division as, lets be honest, i'm not very good and anyone could get into the U21 team.'

not sure that is what he really said.

Great news that Corks signed, right age very good prospect for the future & someone who can grow with the club hopefully. Welcome aboard the Magic Bus Jack! Just hope we can hang on to Chamberlain & we will have a first class starting midfield. Lallana - Cork - Schneiderlin - Chamberlain really looks mouthwateringly good. Also some good options with Gully, hammond maybe Holmes if he can stay fit. Well done NC & NA good piece of business.

Well pleased! This is a real "Quality Signing," and well worth the (agonising) wait. Just love the video clips, even if they only show an edited snippet. Congratulations to our Management team on this one. Nice to know that NA does attract the top players to SMS.

Cracking signing.

Young, improving player with a PL future ahead of him and he chooses to join US.

Says a lot about how we are perceived, but it also says a great deal about the forward vision we have. Type of signing I had hoped we would make, well done to everyone for pulling it off.

Think the tag-line "buy a player better than we already have" is shown up very well here.

In a side note, also nice to upset Eddie Howe.

Looking at it for this season, Oscar Gobern or Jack Cork....

Very happy about this tonight, Get In!

More likely to be Hammond than Schneiderlin starting.

Either way, interesting what 2/3 years makes: Cork, Schneiderlin and Lallana were regular starters under the Dutch Duo - perhaps they were ahead of their time.

Cork is more of a DM, so wonder how he would work with either Schneiderlin or Hammond. At times, we've struggled from having two defensively-minded midfielders; though, hopefully, its isn't the case with Cork who can also pass and retain the ball well.

:lol:

Why has he signed for a club with a lack of ambition, no money and a manager called nigel?

We dont need his like here thank you

I think it's fairly obvious that he has only come to play alongside the likes of Owen and Riise.... ohhh, really, but I thought......

The best news ever. Great signing. I guess what swayed it for him is the proximity to London, he doesn't need to move house an can still enjoy the West End Scene. Let's keep them all fit and we'll knock a few off their perches. Where 'though does Mr Hammond fit in now?

In our squad, he was fantastic in the 2nd half of last season, really upped his game, he has a part to play next season.

good signing spiderman and cork in the centre imo, fonte to be made captain that would be good but i think hammond will remain in the first team :(

i wouldnt mind spiderman maybe playing right side, i think he played once or twice there last season and played ok that would make way for oxo to play as a striker to give us that much needed pace, that could work.