Jay Rodriguez - Signs on a 4 Year Deal

patred44

and lest we forget, Robbie Keane, international and proven Premiership goalscorer, is waiting to see if his move to LA Galaxy goes ahead for a 'mere' £3.5 million.....why aren't we throwing our hat in the ring there instead????

because he's carp

we couldn't afford his wage demands

because, as Sven said, he won't drop down to the NPC

because he's carp

Edited by Big Bad Bob
oh, did I say, he's carp

You need someone to do it!

Good old days hey, cough and sit on the couch as we want to knock your knees for a reaction.

personally dont believe for one moment the general would be used for medical. based on nothing really but know that reading use private hospital in reading (used to be bupa) so find it hard to believe. Not fact of course!

This on the Burnley forum.

by burnleydave

Monday, August 15 2011, 1:38PM

.“Update - just rung BBC Radio Solent, and they've confirmed the rumour that they broadcast that Burnley have accepted a £5.5 million bid for Jay Rodriguez, from Southampton!

The lady said it hasn't gone through yet, but it's imminent.

I can tell you, there'll be a real storm of protest here if that does happen - just days after the club said they wouldn't sell any more stars!!"

But its only a 'confirmed rumour'. So may mean nothing!!

Probably a rival fan winding them up.

Solent don't broadcast rumours, and why the hell would any rival fan phone up the local radio station of another football club???

The internet spreads so much crap it's untrue!

personally dont believe for one moment the general would be used for medical. based on nothing really but know that reading use private hospital in reading (used to be bupa) so find it hard to believe. Not fact of course!

The General was used for the pre-season player checkups, by us and another team IIRC, so why not for transfer medicals...

Just check J Rod league stats for this season, 5 shots all off target, 0 on target.........last season 2nd in table with 64 & 55 respectively with 18 goals

Don't know what that tells us but thought I would mention it

How can that be right when he's scored 5 this season already?!

Probably a rival fan winding them up.

Solent don't broadcast rumours, and why the hell would any rival fan phone up the local radio station of another football club???

The internet spreads so much crap it's untrue!

This!

I'm reliably informed Solent don't have a "lady" on the sports desk... The 'truth' of the story will be on the drive time show @ 17.20.

Here's the truth of the matter - We ARE interested in Rodriguez, but that the figures being banded around are ridiculous, and way off reality of what they value him at, or are prepared to pay..

Secondly, Saints have no interest in Nicky Maynard - and never have had.

This!

I'm reliably informed Solent don't have a "lady" on the sports desk... The 'truth' of the story will be on the drive time show @ 17.20.

Here's the truth of the matter - We ARE interested in Rodriguez, but that the figures being banded around are ridiculous, and way off reality of what they value him at, or are prepared to pay..

Fact ??

This!

Burnley do not want to sell him so have put a price of £6m. That is too high a value for Saints even with the money we have from the Chamberlain deal. Cortese will not pay more than his valuation on the player. I think therefore that it is dead in the water.

As for Maynard, who knows? There is rumour we have made an enquiry but again it is all internet chat.

I suspect Cortese and Adkins are not fretting over another striker. It would be handy but not a priority yet. The same for Centre Back. We can compete in this league without another. The right sort would make us stronger but again not so urgent that we need to panic buy.

Burnley do not want to sell him so have put a price of £6m. That is too high a value for Saints even with the money we have from the Chamberlain deal. Cortese will not pay more than his valuation on the player. I think therefore that it is dead in the water.

As for Maynard, who knows? There is rumour we have made an enquiry but again it is all internet chat.

I suspect Cortese and Adkins are not fretting over another striker. It would be handy but not a priority yet. The same for Centre Back. We can compete in this league without another. The right sort would make us stronger but again not so urgent that we need to panic buy.

Sums it all up nicely, Weston.

Looks like we may be interested in Erik Huseklepp, rivalling that poor club down the road. Valuation at £1.75mil. Will better Pompey's bid no matter what it is. Got an impressive goalscoring record in Norway. As much as I would love for J-Rod to come, £6million is not worth paying. If were to spend that amount on a player, would rather wait and see where we are in January.

Why is Connolly undroppable? If Saints spend £5m plus on a striker as a Championship side, whoever it is (Maynard, Rodriguez etc etc) will be starting most games. Likewise Saints haven't spent £1.8m on a left back whilst in the Championship for him to be not playing. Fox will be the 1st choice left back.
Surprised you should ask a question with such an obvious answer, but as you have -- DC showed brilliant form at the end of last season, and in pre-season and has gone on to score in both opening games. If he hadn't put that clever header away at Barnsley we would be regretting the misses by Lallana and Guly and we would be on 4 points instead of 6. His previous goal against Leeds was equally clever, as he played the one-two to set himself up for the shot. DC is only with us because of the groin injury that could have ended his career but he has had the surgey to put that right and is supremely fit giving us a former international, Prem standard striker by ther back door. If he goes a few games without scoring, then by all means drop him but at the moment he is undroppable and if he keeps finding the net, why on earth would anyone change that??

Fox, I agree, we haven't paid £1.8m for him to be second choice, but is he £1.8m better than Harding and maybe a CB would have been a higher priority?

I truly think we are being taken advantage of in our pursuit of Jay Rodriguez with regards to the price.

Nottingham Forest have just signed Ishmael Miller, who at 24 is only 2 years older than Rodriguez, for just £1.2m. He is a powerful, fast and young striker, who has played for years in both the Championship and Premier League.

I am not saying we shouldn't go for Rodriguez, but surely £4/5m is far too much to pay ...

That's the sensible view, but if we don't spend, we'll have the predictable people on here saying 'we should have signed a new CB' every time we concede a goal, and 'we should have signed a new striker' every time we don't score, or don't score enough.

In fact, based on last season's mentality for a few, we should sign 2 new strikers in case the new striker gets injured.

But how useful would it have been to have signed the likes of Ward last season, meaning that we would not have to bother now?

It's 17.20 now! They're talking about a bloody steam railway and the weather! Come oooon!

The interview is already available in full on Saints Player, went up over an hour ago. He doesn't really say a lot apart from his usual cliches and no comment about transfer speculation (which is entirely understandable).

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/articles/20110815/nigels-duel-with-jewell_2264122_2421127/0,,10280~2421127~1,00.html

I truly think we are being taken advantage of in our pursuit of Jay Rodriguez with regards to the price.

Nottingham Forest have just signed Ishmael Miller, who at 24 is only 2 years older than Rodriguez, for just £1.2m. He is a powerful, fast and young striker, who has played for years in both the Championship and Premier League.

I am not saying we shouldn't go for Rodriguez, but surely £4/5m is far too much to pay ...

You make a fair point in the comparison with Miller.

How do you know with such certainly that..

a) Rodriguez is being considered by Saints as a signing b) Burnley have valued him at £5m c) He isn't worth that (have you seen him play much?)

Don't know any facts to be honest, just the pages and pages of speculation on this forum.

I think English players are generally overpriced as it stands in the current climate, you can get other players from foreign leagues for far less ...

How do you know with such certainly that..

a) Rodriguez is being considered by Saints as a signing b) Burnley have valued him at £5m c) He isn't worth that (have you seen him play much?)

a and b can probably be covered by the Lancashire Telegraph article.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/9194043.Burnley_reject_Southampton___s___4_5m_bid_for_Rodriguez/

Following that Adkins interview, I don't think we will be signing him.

Did you watch the Saints Player interview?

I took it as we would be signing him. His cheeky laugh after stating that "we like to only announce the signing when nobody is expecting it" spoke volumes to me.

They just wont be held to ransom and are negotiating the price.