Jay Rodriguez - Signs on a 4 Year Deal

patred44

he looked sharp in those clips, but I have to say I was more impressed with Jutkiewicz from Saturday's football league clips. Not seen much of him before, but he looked very dangerous to me. More in our price range and we have a habit of taking advantage of others financial shortcomings. Mind you clips, what do they really tell you?

I agree with you there. He looks a very good young player and with Covs financial problems we should be able to pick him up much cheaper. Rumour was earlier in the summer we've bid £500k. A supplier at work is a STH at Cov loves him and reakons they'd let him go for £750k-£1m.

To be fair he didn't get much of a chance and a lot of the time Wolves were only playing one up front which made it harder for him.

Strange one for me - I've always wanted to see us break our transfer record especially on a striker but I'm not quite sure what Rodriguez brings to the team. He doesn't have the blinding pace we're missing, he doesn't seem to have the vision or trickery of, say, Lallana either. He's got a decent scoring record but even YouTube doesn't make him look that great. If you were to compare him against players like Sordell, Ebanks-Blake or Maynard then I'd have him as the least obviously impressive player.

Of course I'm sure that if we are in for him then NA knows what he's doing, and I'm not saying the lad is rubbish either.

He's a right place, right time type of player. Screamers and skills are good for the videos but mean nowt for a goalscorer.

To be fair he didn't get much of a chance and a lot of the time Wolves were only playing one up front which made it harder for him.

Strange one for me - I've always wanted to see us break our transfer record especially on a striker but I'm not quite sure what Rodriguez brings to the team. He doesn't have the blinding pace we're missing, he doesn't seem to have the vision or trickery of, say, Lallana either. He's got a decent scoring record but even YouTube doesn't make him look that great. If you were to compare him against players like Sordell, Ebanks-Blake or Maynard then I'd have him as the least obviously impressive player.

Of course I'm sure that if we are in for him then NA knows what he's doing, and I'm not saying the lad is rubbish either.

For me, Rodriguez is the most exciting prospect of all the strikers we've been linked to.

sod that, we should have used our money to buy aguero..

what a ****ing player he is.....christ

tremendous. He's been doing it for years so it was a no brainer. City have signed something special there. And to think Chelsea didn't want to spend the money and spent £50m on Torres.

He's a right place, right time type of player. Screamers and skills are good for the videos but mean nowt for a goalscorer.

For me, Rodriguez is the most exciting prospect of all the strikers we've been linked to.

It's all about opinions and you both could be right. I watched the extended Burnley v Burton highlights and have to say that he looked much more of a Teddy Sheringham player and more comfortable dropping a bit deeper though. Kind of the role that Lambert does for us now. Who knows though? You can never really judge a player untill you've seen him a fair few times live.

he looked sharp in those clips, but I have to say I was more impressed with Jutkiewicz from Saturday's football league clips. Not seen much of him before, but he looked very dangerous to me. More in our price range and we have a habit of taking advantage of others financial shortcomings. Mind you clips, what do they really tell you?

Motherwell fans i know rated him very highly when he played for them.

Can't believe Liverpool spent £55m on Carroll and Henderson rather than go for Aguero. Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd should surely have gone for him. 35m was a bargain for a proven world class player.

Makes you wonder how crap Argentina's managers are. Aguero, Tevez, Messi, Pastore, Di Maria, Higuain. Ridiculous.

You can't always out-score the opposition. Their defence and goalkeeper is average for international football

It's all about opinions and you both could be right. I watched the extended Burnley v Burton highlights and have to say that he looked much more of a Teddy Sheringham player and more comfortable dropping a bit deeper though. Kind of the role that Lambert does for us now. Who knows though? You can never really judge a player untill you've seen him a fair few times live.

we have lambert, Guly and Connelly all happy to drop deep to cllect. What we need most is a striker willing to run on, work the line and offer that little bit of class and pace to create a yard of space to spank one home.

Admittedly from the little I've seen of him, he reminds me of a pacier dean ashton.

In our price range?

We bid 3.5m for Sharp, made it clear we had money to spend if needed, THEN received £12m for Chamberlain. Price range isn't an issue.

How much did we offer for Mackail-Smith? Was it 4 mill? We should have upped it because it would have been a good investment.

sod that, we should have used our money to buy aguero..

what a ****ing player he is.....christ

Oh no don't post this - after the rubbish about the Radio Solent non existent news story this morning and some of the planks currently posting on here - 'Aguero shock coming on loan to SFC' will appear tomorrow

I don't like Man City but it's tough when they sign players you like, and I love watching Aguero and Silva. Adam Johnson is much underrated too. Milner I just don't understand, I honestly would rather have Lallana. Milner seems all hard work to me and miles off their other players.

Still prefer them to win the league just to shut Man Utd fans up. Drives me mad hearing them say 'you're buying the league', as if they haven't spent an absolute fortune themselves over the years.

Must admit I disagree. Man Utd have earned the right to spend big money through decades of sustained success. Ferguson also rarely buys "finished article" players and his signings this summer have so far been brilliant.

Man City on the other hand is basically a graveyard for players careers. 9 out of 10 signings don't work out but as they over pay these players so much, they are quite happy to just rot away in the reserves and see out their contract which is a massive shame. I can't blame the players but it wouldn't happen if their manager was signing players with one eye on the future. For the millions at his disposal and the talent in his squad, Mancini is far too cautious and defensive also.

Can't believe Liverpool spent £55m on Carroll and Henderson rather than go for Aguero. Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd should surely have gone for him. 35m was a bargain for a proven world class player.

Makes you wonder how crap Argentina's managers are. Aguero, Tevez, Messi, Pastore, Di Maria, Higuain. Ridiculous.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSggFJNG5sS_gMfgwobVw0ZF81II6fzNvlMlPW813C8ugr7FIcnng

Someone pinch me we are talking about spending £5m + a couple of seasons ago we couldnt spend £5 not sure that Rodriguez is worth that but he is very highly thought of & young enough to devolp & get better so I would be very happy to have him at Saints & how nice is it to be able to compete in the transfer market.

The jury was out on NA regarding signings but Cork looks 1st class quality player De Ridder looks brilliant very pleased with Fox signing he looks a player if we get Rodriguez or another top quality striker & a new centre back we will have a very very strong squad mostly of a good young age fair play Nigel I am loving your work

A lot of you are moaning about the price and saying he is not worth it, yet were delighted that we got £12m for a player with a half a league one season under his belt. Jay is a England U21, proven goalscorer at championship level and touted as a future ENgland player. Dont you think it's hypocritical to say he's not worth it and critise Burnley for doing what you were congratulating Nicky for doing only last week?

A lot of you are moaning about the price and saying he is not worth it, yet were delighted that we got £12m for a player with a half a league one season under his belt. Jay is a England U21, proven goalscorer at championship level and touted as a future ENgland player. Dont you think it's hypocritical to say he's not worth it and critise Burnley for doing what you were congratulating Nicky for doing only last week?

agree

Exactly! I also love the way that some people comment on it like it's their money...probably the same type who continually moan about ticket tax and car park charges

Doubt that Cortese will be concerned about the price if a player is better than what we have and he can agree with the valuation. But when you look at the suggested price of £5m+ against the quoted £4m for Liverpool reserve striker David Ngog you can imagine that Cortese might question J Rod's value by comparison. Ngog will find a first team spot in the Prem once Liverpool have a replacement, whereas J Rod is still Championship level. Then you have the form of DC to consider and whether J Rod is an improvement. He will be better than DC in time but is he now?

Exactly! I also love the way that some people comment on it like it's their money...probably the same type who continually moan about ticket tax and car park charges

Those that say "i would take xxxx for him" Well it aint up to them is it!!!

Nah, not really. Arsenal are mugs. We're not -or at least, trying not to be.

So you weren't pleased when we got what was reported for the Chamberlain deal. As it's well above what he is worth then?

Absolutely. But wouldn't have wanted to be at the receiving end of that. Surely selling high, buying low is good business not hypocrisy?

Absolutely. But wouldn't have wanted to be at the receiving end of that. Surely selling high, buying low is good business not hypocrisy?

Indeed. And if Rodriquez goes onto fullfill his potential will proably do the same with him.

If you have money in football, you have earned the right to spend it.

True, but I think many people are just concerned re the rules about income and debt levels. Many companies have made real cuts to spending, wages etc but football isn't following that trend is it? Most fans want their spending to be sustainable, success but not at any price?

Yeah. £800m in debt means you are entitled to spend big... FFS

Don't exactly see the banks beating their doors down for it though do you? Yes it's a lot of debt but it is obviously well under control if they can still sanction the signings of De Gea, Jones, Young etc..

Don't exactly see the banks beating their doors down for it though do you? Yes it's a lot of debt but it is obviously well under control if they can still sanction the signings of De Gea, Jones, Young etc..

Yes. Because football clubs definitely never spend outside of their means.

Would you have said the same about Pompey before they collapsed? Yes it's a lot of debt but it's obviously well under control if they can sanction the signings of Sol Campbell, David James, Peter Crouch etc...

If you have money in football, you have earned the right to spend it.

No you haven't. You have simply got lucky. Good luck and all power to Man City for spending all this money but I'd much rather Man Utd won the league than them or Chelsea.

No you haven't. You have simply got lucky. Good luck and all power to Man City for spending all this money but I'd much rather Man Utd won the league than them or Chelsea.

Agree you have a right to spend money how you want; but there's a difference between being lucky and deserving. Can't fault united in that respect.

Yes. Because football clubs definitely never spend outside of their means.

Would you have said the same about Pompey before they collapsed? Yes it's a lot of debt but it's obviously well under control if they can sanction the signings of Sol Campbell, David James, Peter Crouch etc...

Little bit different. One is a multi billion pound global brand with a strong infrastructure, history of sustained success, world-famous academies etc, etc... and the other is Portsmouth FC who over-spent for a couple of years in search of quick success and now face years in the footballing wilderness as a consequence. If the proverbial hit the fan at Man Utd, they would be queuing to bale them out.

How do you what the banks want???????

Is that just the ronaldo money.????

Great to once again see us linked to multi million pound players after the last few years. But can't see that this guy is worth that much. Really want to see us make a statement with another couple of big signings but obviously done wisely, in which I trust NC and NA totally.