Jay Rodriguez - Signs on a 4 Year Deal

patred44

No you haven't. You have simply got lucky. Good luck and all power to Man City for spending all this money but I'd much rather Man Utd won the league than them or Chelsea.

why? They are hugely in debt, spent money that they do not have. The Glazers are now talking about floating on the Singapore stock exchange to raise more money to offset the debt, or at least put a small dent in it.

why? They are hugely in debt, spent money that they do not have. The Glazers are now talking about floating on the Singapore stock exchange to raise more money to offset the debt, or at least put a small dent in it.

Some day soon, a really BIG Club are going to go to the wall, then perhaps Football in particular will take a long hard look at itself

Living on the Never Never is Folly, in Football AND in day to day everyday living IMHO

Pay for what you want with money that you HAVE

As long as Clubs can run up hundreds of millions of "Monopoly Money" debts, the worse it will become

To every honest hard working Fan ..... How long does it take YOU to earn £100,000 pounds ?? ..... it takes a lot of so called Star players ONE WEEK

Crazy

Some day soon, a really BIG Club are going to go to the wall, then perhaps Football in particular will take a long hard look at itself

Living on the Never Never is Folly, in Football AND in day to day everyday living IMHO

Pay for what you want with money that you HAVE

As long as Clubs can run up hundreds of millions of "Monopoly Money" debts, the worse it will become

To every honest hard working Fan ..... How long does it take YOU to earn £100,000 pounds ?? ..... it takes a lot of so called Star players ONE WEEK

Crazy

yep, exactly. You can see why the Man Utd fans are p!ssed at it all ( I mean the real fans not the plastics from London etc)

No they won't. A big football club in this country will never go out of business in the current footballing climate. They damn well should, and lots of people predict it will happen but it just won't, for a number of reasons.

The Premier League is far too awash with potentially enormous revenues to put off investors looking for a short to medium term investment opportunity, no matter how bad the starting point seems to be. Get to the Premier League, sell the club, you've made a fortune. It's why you'll consistently see the likes of Leicester, West Ham and in previous years Pompey, Cardiff etc etc all completely ignore good business practise and gamble on promotion by paying wages and fees they simply can't afford in the short term.

The penalties for clubs incurring massive amounts of debt and then falling into administration are just a joke, an absolute joke. They are no deterrent to owners in the slightest. Pompey completely abused the system and ripped off the Revenue and local companies to tens of millions of pounds, we even got away with it to some extent. And if it all goes t*ts up for one set of owners there are absolutely plenty out there williing to take a shot at lining up for a chance on English football's gravy train. Clubs will make deals like Pompey's 4% payback per annum (a scandal in itself) yet all the while go and spend millions on transfers fees. It is no deterrent at all, and while deals like Pompey's in particular will be accepted by creditors (and they always will), then no club will see itself go completely out of business.

It is a sh*t system of ownership we have here. But while the rewards are so great and the punishments so ineffective, no big football club will go to the wall.

Edited by The Kraken

CMS was £3m ish, Beckford bid is about £2.5m, £6m is rediculous.

This guy is thought of very highly, and is very young. He's in the same mould as Connor Wickham and he went for 12m.

Current u21 internationals don't come cheap, and this guy would be more of an investment rather than a panic signing for ''now''. It's probably hoped he can take us all the way...and more.

How much have you seen of them all? Until you have, it can't be described as ridiculous (or even rediculous as you put it). You have to take each player on their merits, Rodriguez is very highly regarded and is over 5 years younger than both CMS and Beckford and thus has potentially greater sell on value/years left of his career to remain at Saints. CMS and Beckford on the other hand are already in their peak years and probably don't have much room to improve. In any case, we don't know that the £6m banded about is even correct!

Edited by Matthew Le God

Both of those players are 27 and are not seen as players with potential any more.

Beckford if is going to be sold will be on the cheap for a variety of reasons.

1) He's been pretty average for Everton. A gamble worth taking on a free that hasn't worked out.

2) If he's to be sold it will be because Everton need the cash and want rid to free up some money for someone better. Therefore are hardly in a position to be holding out for big fees.

3) As I said above, he's 27. If someone purchases him he's not got much a of a resale value.

Further to that unlike Rodriguez he's never scored goals regularly higher than League One.

Number 3 also goes for CMS. Unlike Beckford he was first choice at his selling club but any chance of using that as a bargaining tool in negotiations went when Fry revealed last season they had agreed with CMS that he's to be sold if they get promoted. Clubs knew that Peterborough couldn't keep hold of him therefore the price goes down.

Rodriguez's is in a situation where he's not only first choice for his selling club but he's a local hero as well. The price therefore goes up. The selling club have to justify why they are selling him. Further to that he's 5 years younger than CMS and Beckford and he has a lot of resale value. A good couple of years for us and some pretty big clubs in the Prem will come knocking. Burnley have to bear this is mind and make sure that any club purchasing him are paying for his potential (or of course stick in a huge percentage of the sell on price clause in).

All that is on top of the opinion that personally I think he is a better player than both of them already.

Why is it? He is a young english striker, an England U21 player who has been touted as a future England and premier league player. Other clubs want to buy, Burnley do not want to sell. If he was playing for us how would you think he was worth? 5m for Matt Mills, a championship centre half who could possibly play in the PL on the future. Strikers always cost more and we are buying potential as well don't forget. It seems like the Market rate to

Me. Let's not say Burnley are being unrealistic, they dont want to sell, like we didn't with Chamberlain. They are holding out for the best deal for them, something there was much back slapping of cortese for for doing exactly that last week.

Both of those players are 27 and are not seen as players with potential any more.

Beckford if is going to be sold will be on the cheap for a variety of reasons.

1) He's been pretty average for Everton. A gamble worth taking on a free that hasn't worked out.

2) If he's to be sold it will be because Everton need the cash and want rid to free up some money for someone better. Therefore are hardly in a position to be holding out for big fees.

3) As I said above, he's 27. If someone purchases him he's not got much a of a resale value.

Further to that unlike Rodriguez he's never scored goals regularly higher than League One.

Number 3 also goes for CMS. Unlike Beckford he was first choice at his selling club but any chance of using that as a bargaining tool in negotiations went when Fry revealed last season they had agreed with CMS that he's to be sold if they get promoted. Clubs knew that Peterborough couldn't keep hold of him therefore the price goes down.

Rodriguez's is in a situation where he's not only first choice for his selling club but he's a local hero as well. The price therefore goes up. The selling club have to justify why they are selling him. Further to that he's 5 years younger than CMS and Beckford and he has a lot of resale value. A good couple of years for us and some pretty big clubs in the Prem will come knocking. Burnley have to bear this is mind and make sure that any club purchasing him are paying for his potential (or of course stick in a huge percentage of the sell on price clause in).

All that is on top of the opinion that personally I think he is a better player than both of them already.

You're obviously right about paying over the odds for potential - you only have to look at Henderson, Jones and of course Chamberlain to see that. It is of course dependant on them fulfilling that potential to get your money's worth though and there have been plenty that fall by the wayside. Michael Chopra went to Sunderland relatively young and with a good record in the championship - in the premiership he proved that he's probably only good for the championship. I think fans as well as managers get blinded by valuations - the higher it is the better the player must be. Doesn't always work like that though. Just because Rodriguez is worth 6m to Burnley doesn't mean he's worth it to us, and if they raised it to 7m it wouldn't suddenly make him a better player either.

Ultimately it's got to come down to individual assessments of the player and how he would fit into the team. If Nigel wants him and thinks he's worth it then fine - I won't be complaining. However, personally based on what I've seen I struggle to see what extra he brings to the team. No doubt a good player but what we lack is a pacy forward and not someone who likes to drop off a bit. The team has shown that it can find space and spot good passes but I reckon they'd be even better with someone with enough speed to beat a defence. Also would give the midfield a bit more space. I know pace isn't everything (Jonno Quick etc) but for the money being bandied around for Rodriguez I'd have thought you could get someone with pace, skill and a good finisher.

Despite last night, I would still love someone like Jay Rod on the bus. I've every confidence that NC will ensure the best financial deal possible, and that is after NA has ensured that the player brings more to our current squad, and most importantly fits in with the current team spirit.

Man utd started success by spending big. Keane was a record transfer, they signed schmeichel, kanchelskis

I know what you are getting at but that was a time when anyone could have competed for those signings. I've just had a look at their transfer dealings and by and large their signings were offset by outgoing deals.

One of the worst things for a football fan must be the realisation that the money has gone and the players that were bought at inflated prices aren't really that good. My view is that it is ridiculous to spend inflated fees. Lambert, Connolly, DeRidder, Guly, Fonte, Cork were value, we need more players of their quality at their prices. Arsenal could afford to waste £12m if Chamberlain doesn't make it. £6m could buy us a lot of good Championship quality players.

'14 goals, 5.5m no thanks' has to be simplistic black and white comment of the season so far. no thought to the team he was in, his age, whether he'll improve, how any he'd score here, how he'd fit into the team, whether he could play top flight, whether his value would increase, how he'd fit into the team and create goals and so on.[/QUOT

£6m is a big gamble, because though you were able to put the questions, you can't answer them and neither can anyone else, which is why I don't think it is worth the gamble for us. If he is as good as everybody here seems to think why aren't the Premier sides grabbing him for the peanuts (Premier fees) Burnley are quoting (P. Jewell). However if Nigel Adkins thinks he is worth that, and we will soon know, I'll take his word for it.

One of the worst things for a football fan must be the realisation that the money has gone and the players that were bought at inflated prices aren't really that good. My view is that it is ridiculous to spend inflated fees. Lambert, Connolly, DeRidder, Guly, Fonte, Cork were value, we need more players of their quality at their prices. Arsenal could afford to waste £12m if Chamberlain doesn't make it. £6m could buy us a lot of good Championship quality players.

Indeed, Dave, and we've certainly felt the sour taste of the underlined bit.

I'm not just concerned about the sky-high prices being quoted for relatively modest and unproven talent - at least for the level we're aiming at.

I'm probably more concerned that sky-high wages normally accompany those transfers, and that this could damage the wage structure at the Club. Adkins seems to have built a rock-solid chemistry in the dressing room and the last thing we need is an over-inflated ego on structure-breaking wages. These things never stay secret for very long.

That could kill so much that Adkins and his team have fought to achieve.

Indeed, Dave, and we've certainly felt the sour taste of the underlined bit.

I'm not just concerned about the sky-high prices being quoted for relatively modest and unproven talent - at least for the level we're aiming at.

I'm probably more concerned that sky-high wages normally accompany those transfers, and that this could damage the wage structure at the Club. Adkins seems to have built a rock-solid chemistry in the dressing room and the last thing we need is an over-inflated ego on structure-breaking wages. These things never stay secret for very long.

That could kill so much that Adkins and his team have fought to achieve.

Adkins has always been one of those rare managers that gets more than the sum of the parts out of his teams. He was always my first choice after seeing his S****horpe team at SMS and his subsequent record. He isn't going to allow the unquantifiable team ingredient he instills to be negated. We both know that the most important thing in a team is the teamwork, blend and cussedness that makes the team difficult to beat. A quality player may not necessarily add to that mix and could ruin it unless he is a fit in.

can we please not call him that? i hate that type of thing more than i hate PFC

Agreed, all this modern lingo does my t1ts in. All my idiot friends at work do this... Examples... Defo, Ridic, Whatevs, Obvs, Horrif, - They even abbreviate KFC and call it koffkerr

Edited by CFSFC

Fourth official has , for some bizzare reason changed his avatar to a photo of Danny Fox holding up his shirt - have asked why, but no reply as yet.

Interesting exchange of tweets last night an Agent said ' rather impressed by fouth official' ' the reason for this is I was taking Ishmael Miller to Forest for a medical and @fouthoffical tweeted it... only 4 people knew! '

I'm sure there have been numerous enquirys made behind the scenes, whether any have come a close to a bid or not is another thing

Just don't follow his betting tips. He suggested an accumulator with Cardiff, Blackpool, Leicester and others on it last night. Lost my shirt.

To be fair, he did one on Tuesday, inc us, and he got done by Gillingham conceding a last minute equaliser. He had 6 up and let down on the 7th