Jay Rodriguez - Signs on a 4 Year Deal

patred44

normally because the player has been sounded out (tapped up) before hand to see if he is interested and how much he will want paying.

Guess that's one of the areas agents do a lot of their work? Does seem to be a bit of a pattern emerging here with us going in for players and the deal not getting completed for one reason or another.

Kenwyn Jones seems to be up for grabs as it becomes more clear than Peter Crouch heading for Stoke. In Jones we'd get a striker, a center half and someone to get lost down the wing in big games. :)

I hope that is sarcasm i detect.

This deal was agreed this afternoon, had a text saying it was in the bag after we agreed a fee with Burnley. what happened next I have no idea but you would of thought Saints had known before hand that he was not interested?

IMHO it was the wages we offered him which killed the deal.

This deal was agreed this afternoon, had a text saying it was in the bag after we agreed a fee with Burnley. what happened next I have no idea but you would of thought Saints had known before hand that he was not interested?

So are you saying it's yet another one we've f*cked up at the last minute? Surely we'd have sounded out the kids agent regarding wages before getting to that stage. If what you say is true then these 'last minute hitches' which are ruining our deals clearly aren't just greedy agents everytime FFS.

Don't know what your sources are; but the Burnley press thinks that our improved offer didn't match their valuation. Rodriguez might well have gone on to reject us but unlikely things even reached that stage.

Perhaps the moral of this, and other, 'ITK exclusives', is that people who receive and post these "done deal" messages on here should caveat those posts with "subject to player agreeing personal terms".

A fee was agreed, my Burnley oppo has told me that much. The nipper simply didn't want to move and told Burnley he wouldn't sign if they agreed a fee or not.

Do you know if the lad actually spoke with us - or he simply didnt want to come and it didn't even get to that stage?

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Pilchards viewpost-right.png

Perhaps the moral of this, and other, 'ITK exclusives', is that people who receive and post these "done deal" messages on here should caveat those posts with "subject to player agreeing personal terms".

Then you would need to add into that subject to medical, better offer coming in before signing. Alternatively you just wait until things are put out by the club, can't go wrong then.

• 4 weeks later...
So' date=' for those that were at the game, did Jay Rodriguez look like a player we should've been trying to spend £5million+ on?[/quote']

People may be correct but we must remember this is just one game and also Jay was never worth five million. It's what he is worth to burnley and would have represented good value if he scored the goals necessary to fire us to promotion.

People may be correct but we must remember this is just one game and also Jay was never worth five million. It's what he is worth to burnley and would have represented good value if he scored the goals necessary to fire us to promotion.

So he wasn't worth £5m, but he's worth £5m to Burnley, AND would be worth £5m to us if he scored the goals we need. That sounds like he's worth £5m, or that we ought only to have paid after he'd have got us promotion. I suggest you write to the Leagues' governing bodies with your proposal that transfer fees should only be paid when a player has fullfilled what was expected of him. Perhaps that can be done by including a "hindsight" clause in the contracts.

So he wasn't worth £5m, but he's worth £5m to Burnley, AND would be worth £5m to us if he scored the goals we need. That sounds like he's worth £5m, or that we ought only to have paid after he'd have got us promotion. I suggest you write to the Leagues' governing bodies with your proposal that transfer fees should only be paid when a player has fullfilled what was expected of him. Perhaps that can be done by including a "hindsight" clause in the contracts.

Thanks for that sarcasm. All transfers are a risk. Of course value would be easier to assess with hindsight but it really looks to me like we are missing another option up front. If we had that option and then because of that we get better results which fired us to promotion then Jay is probably worth it. Saying a player is not worth the money based on one performance or even a few performances for burnley is way too simplistic.

Thanks for that sarcasm. All transfers are a risk. Of course value would be easier to assess with hindsight but it really looks to me like we are missing another option up front. If we had that option and then because of that we get better results which fired us to promotion then Jay is probably worth it. Saying a player is not worth the money based on one performance or even a few performances for burnley is way too simplistic.

on the flip side of that, if we had signed him for £5mill plus and he had failed to impress after the same amount of games he has played for Burnley, we would all be shouting at what a waste of £5 mill he was. He is NOT worth £5 mill in my eyes and I would rather have the options we have currently (with LB to come back) then take a very expensive risk

He is NOT worth £5 mill in my eyes and I would rather have the options we have currently (with LB to come back) then take a very expensive risk

It might be the old fogey in me and I need to get up to sorts with player inflation, but I just struggle to think that a Championship striker should command a £5M fee.

Against that I accept that it might be a fair reflection of the worth of a player to a team, particularly given the financial rewards of promotion to the top flight. WouldI be happy for Ricky or Adam to be sold for £5m?? I very much doubt it for Ricky and no way for Adam, so maybe £5m might be the going rate for a top rate player in this league.

Then was Rodrigues the man for us, who knows?? Adkins certainly seemed to think so given how far down the line we went with him and I would agree that we need something else up front.

So' date=' for those that were at the game, did Jay Rodriguez look like a player we should've been trying to spend £5million+ on?[/quote']

No. Thought he was poor.

Talking to some Burnley fans before and after the game they agreed. They couldnt believe that they turned down £5 million. They would of been happy with £1.5 million

It might be the old fogey in me and I need to get up to sorts with player inflation, but I just struggle to think that a Championship striker should command a £5M fee.

Against that I accept that it might be a fair reflection of the worth of a player to a team, particularly given the financial rewards of promotion to the top flight. WouldI be happy for Ricky or Adam to be sold for £5m?? I very much doubt it for Ricky and no way for Adam, so maybe £5m might be the going rate for a top rate player in this league.

Then was Rodrigues the man for us, who knows?? Adkins certainly seemed to think so given how far down the line we went with him and I would agree that we need something else up front.

Yep. Once again Steve you get it.

He's so valuable to us we'd have to price him way, way beyond what anyone would pay and his value to keep him. Losing him would not only lose a 10m ish value player, but the main threat in our side, a fans favourite, our hope of promotion, the style in which we play, and we'd have little or no hope of replacing him. So how do you value that?

Absolutely, the price others may want to pay may simply not reconcile with the cost to the selling club.

Looked pretty poor on Saturday though he carried on trying to the end.

In his defence, Burnley are hardly creating lots of chances, though the contrast with Austin was pretty striking. V.different players but Austin looked sharper and more dangerous than Rodriguez.

I can see us spending £5m for a striker in the NPC, though its a gamble and whether Rodriguez is the right man is unclear. For a young player and given the rate of inflation in the transfer market, £5m might seem pretty cheap in a few years time; but that assumes he has and will realise his potential. He had one very good season; but he hasn't come close to repeating it this season. Now he's been identified a threat, he's being marked and marshaled more closely. Its no wonder he's struggling; but a £5m rated player IMO should be able to handle that greater attention/coverage.

We need pace, someone who can push opposing defenses back rather than another target/link up man (which is how I categorise Rodriguez).

Yes, it puts more pressure on Lambert to maintain his form and not get injured; but at least we have that option (and the likes of Barney are good at holding up the ball). As for pacier or powerful options, we only have De Ridder who's yet to start a league game and Forte who's clearly not a striker (I haven't totally written him - but like the Scunny fans, I think that if he has a role to play, its as a winger). That's not enough.

Finally, I don't buy the guff about meeting the costs of the selling club - ultimately there is an objective market value which will rein in ludicrous or opportunistic valuations based on appeals that a player is a fan's favourite or the club's only hope of promotion or simply irreplaceable. The market price might be grossly inflated but at least its relatively transparent. Some clubs will be able to name their price; but I think thats only possible when a player doesn't want to leave (and usually they do). That's what makes Oxo such a tidy bit of business.

• 2 weeks later...
f we had really wanted him, we would have paid another 1 or 2 million for him in the summer.

yeah, because bankers just love paying over the odds for things.

Stop moaning about a perceived lack of ambition/transfer activity this summer. Over ambitious spending was what got us in the **** in the first place.

f we had really wanted him, we would have paid another 1 or 2 million for him in the summer.

We really wanted him but we're not going down the suicidle road of just paying what people want. We will pay what is right for our club, NC clearly didn't think what they were asking for was right for us at that particular time, maybe this will change in january, end of!

He did, as I said at the time but when we were up there the club made it clear to the player and BFC that the offer still stands. That's from my oppo at Burnley.

It will be more like Saints are still interested and would like to hear from them should the position change in January. I cannot see that Cortese would pin anything more concrete for Rodriquez, considering the length of time and money involved.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Very likely signing if we go up. I'd rather get him than Hooper personally.

To be honest, I can see both arriving. Lambert won't be here forever and Rodriguez is the closest possible likewise that there is out there and the only realistic one IMO and if we can get him in now, he can bed in and learn off of Rickie and become an "apprentice" next season in one of the toughest leagues in the world. no better place to learn. He can hold the ball up, link play and has a great shot on him. Also he knows where the net is at the current level. Hooper is another step up on Sharp and it is important we get someone in like this as I can see Barnard and Connolly moving on next season so 2 out, 2 in and this will leave us with 4 good options - Lambert, Rodriguez, Sharp, Hooper (5 including Guly). this is more than good enough for Premier League survival.