Jay Rodriguez - Signs on a 4 Year Deal

patred44

Once they get him, I expect things to start moving.

Hines

Patterson (injured, but not long term - only a few weeks)

Austin

Ings

........Rodriquez

And they're also trying to push through a deal for young everton winger/striker Jose Baxter.

one too many for a club trying to cut it's cloth.

Once they get him, I expect things to start moving.

Hines

Patterson (injured, but not long term - only a few weeks)

Austin

Ings

........Rodriquez

one too many for a club trying to cut it's cloth.

I honestly believe we have this deal in the bag but Burnley are bringing in players first!

Wasn't Fox announced on a Thursday? ;)

I don't think any of Cork, de Ridder or Fox were signed on a Friday. So the law of averages says I'm definitely correct this time round.

Edit: Hmmm, it seems we signed de Ridder on a Friday. I may be onto something after all....

Edited by The Kraken

Fourth Official is nothing to do with Saints.. he has rumours about like every club.. he's just ITK somehow.. he's put a bet on Saints to win the league. but yeah if we pay £6m for Rodriguez we can hardly justify him behind 2nd fiddle to Lambert and Connolly who are bang in form and would be difficult to take one of them out of the first 11.

Couple of tweets from Tony Husband, who is part of Solent sport...

TonyHusbandTV Adkins will keep his counsel, word is Jay Rod offer was made, but plenty of time in August left so Burnley have no rush.

@TonyHusbandTV

#saintsfc As expected Nigel Adkins wouldn't be drawn on transfer speculation, but admitted work continues behind the scenes.

I'm not sure how good a player Zavon Hines is, but what seems to be a good coup for Burnley is a loss for West Ham, especially as they may need to sell their more expensive players and rely on cheaper players (and up and comers) like Hines.

That said, with Ings and Hines joining Burnley, it does seem like they're preparing for the worst with regards to one of their strikers. Fingers crossed it'd Rodriguez. To us. For a fee better than we hoped. On a long term contract.

I think we'll sign on deadline day. We probably think there's no rush and we'll get a better deal late on.

That's why I don't get people desperate for early signings. When you're talking about players you want to come in and play for 3 or 4 years or more, identifying the right people and getting the best deal is far more important than saving a few weeks.

I think it will be Maynard tho'.

I think we'll sign on deadline day. We probably think there's no rush and we'll get a better deal late on.

That's why I don't get people desperate for early signings. When you're talking about players you want to come in and play for 3 or 4 years or more, identifying the right people and getting the best deal is far more important than saving a few weeks.

But equally, getting Jack Cork early in the window was very smart, as he has been excellent so far.

Just a thought.

He doesn't have to sign by 31 August, the loan window will be open 7 days later before the Forest game.

Some deals are arranged as "93 day loans with a view to purchase for £x in January".

The loan would stop us playing him on the 24 Sept, which would please their fans. And if the deal is for a lot of money it gives Nicola/Nigel a chance to look at the player's character before commiting alot of money.

They always play the getting them in early to gel card. But the reality is that they want early signings to satisfy their child like impatience most of the time.

Just a thought.

He doesn't have to sign by 31 August, the loan window will be open 7 days later before the Forest game.

Some deals are arranged as "93 day loans with a view to purchase for £x in January".

The loan would stop us playing him on the 24 Sept, which would please their fans. And if the deal is for a lot of money it gives Nicola/Nigel a chance to look at the player's character before commiting alot of money.

That will never happen. They will not say "ok you can have him, test him out and come back to us in January". It will be pay up or dont.

I don't think we will be making any big money signings now. I know we have bid a large amount for Billy Sharpe and we have tried to sign Jay Rodriguez but i think its been made clear we aren't prepared to pay over the odds just cause we have money to spend. I doubt we will see any more big money spent in this transfer window. Maybe come January we will make move for one of these strikers if the price becomes more negotiable. I would say for now any potential bid for Jay Rodriguez is dead in the water. I do wonder if he would leave Burnley anyway as he is a local lad and may actually want to stay and play for his home town club? It does look like he was Adkins first choice and i dont think Adkins will rush to sign second best from his list of options, whoever they may be.

I don't think we will be making any big money signings now. I know we have bid a large amount for Billy Sharpe and we have tried to sign Jay Rodriguez but i think its been made clear we aren't prepared to pay over the odds just cause we have money to spend. I doubt we will see any more big money spent in this transfer window. Maybe come January we will make move for one of these strikers if the price becomes more negotiable. I would say for now any potential bid for Jay Rodriguez is dead in the water. I do wonder if he would leave Burnley anyway as he is a local lad and may actually want to stay and play for his home town club? It does look like he was Adkins first choice and i dont think Adkins will rush to sign second best from his list of options, whoever they may be.

Is that based on anything?

Is that based on anything?

Only my personal opinion from reading between tbe lines. Burnley say they want 6 million plus and then our club statement saying we will not be held to ransom. I hope I am wrong and like Le Goddard says we do make a couple of surprise additions before the deadline. I haven't signed up for the Saints player so I've not seen Adkins interview. But the working behind the scenes comment does sound promising. I do wonder if Jay Rodriguez would want to leave Burnley as he is a local lad and just thought he might be happy to stay on that basis alone. Whatever happens it sure is an interesting time to be a Saints fan isn't it?

I am sure we can buy a lot of striker for £3.5m. £6m is funny money for Jay Rodriguez.

I agree, and I think there are strikers out there that wouldn't cost the earth. Apparently some scouts were out in force at MK Dons game today with regards to Sam Baldock, and teams are also at Rotherham looking at Adam Le Fondre. There are lower league gems to be had, and there's no need to think they won't make it at this level. Some will say that we need a Championship/Premiership quality striker - but they come at a cost. I still think Cortese and Adkins will make the right choice with a striker - I'm interested to see who we bring in at the back.

But lost Pugh yesterday with ligament damage.

I still believe this deal will go ahead soon.

I hope so. I think he's one of the best strikers in this league, what's more it certainly writes off Burnley as competition for promotion this year too! Just need to buy a few Derby players now! :)

I looked on a Burnley forum last night to see if any 'snippets' on there but nothing substantial. Two things on there though of interest, several of their fans thought Rodriguiz looked lethargic and disinterested yesterday at home to Cardiff, so conclude "he must want out", and a couple of their 'ITK'ers' think a bid from Newcastle (£6-£8m suggested) is 'on the table'.