the Billy Sharp thread...

david in sweden

..maybe some others will start the; Nicky Maynard file, the Lukas Jut. file, The Sam Vokes file, or the JayRod file, depending on who they think we may eventually sign... (that's if there isn't one already that I've missed..?)

..but there was some strong pub gossip from the " kingdom of Yorkshire " ..was it someone friend in Huddf'd ?.. said that Sharp was already to put pen to paper for us next week ?. Being a stats. nerd.. I've checked out their various records and - apart from being the shortest stature (5'9") -

Billy S. has the best % strike record of all those mentioned, but Lambert has played successfully alongside similar players (Connolly and Barnard) in the past ..(and as the future of both is somewhat uncertain ..for different reasons)..so that should be no problem.

Billy is (an ex-Scunny player who knows NA well)... then my money would be on Billy Sharp ..come January.

if you think one of the others ? ..feel welcome to start a thread for them, might be interesting to see the outcome.

(although we ought to have an (U.K.nown foreigner thread too,) just in case.

Edited by david in sweden

The same people who thought we'd sign Cork? How did that one turn out? We've gone for him before and he has undoubted talent. He had exactly what we need right now and could be the difference between getting promoted and being a Championship team next year. I don't expect this to happen but i'd sure like it to happen.

He is a Saint!

People expecting us to sign either Maynard or Sharp will end up very disappointed.

First 2 replies, immediate opposite ends of the spectrum! Be interesting to see how this pans out. View From The Top said his oppo at Burnley said we'd not been back for J Rod & they'd heard we'd got Sharp. He'd be my preferred choice of those named in the OP.

Til all is revealed, sources gentlemen please?!

Sharp will leave in January.

Extremely likely that Sharp will leave in January, and there's not a lot Donny can do about it. I've been told his buy-out clause has been activated by a 'small handful' of clubs and by bringing in a couple of loan strikers in recent days, it's a big indication that Doncaster are planning for life without Sharp.

For what it's worth, I'd love to see him here. He would be the perfect foil for Lambert, although I still believe we need an additional striker similar to Rickie as his recent absence hit us hard. Someone with a similar aerial threat would help to soften the impact should Lambert pick up an injury/suspension in the future. Lukas Jutkiewicz would fit that bill IMO, and is a realistic target.

..maybe some others will start the; Nicky Maynard file, the Lukas Jut. file, The Sam Vokes file, or the JayRod file, depending on who they think we may eventually sign... (that's if there isn't one already that I've missed..?)

..but there was some strong pub gossip from the " kingdom of Yorkshire " ..was it someone friend in Huddf'd ?.. said that Sharp was already to put pen to paper for us next week ?. Being a stats. nerd.. I've checked out their various records and - apart from being the shortest stature (5'9") -

Billy S. has the best % strike record of all those mentioned, but Lambert has played successfully alongside similar players (Connolly and Barnard) in the past ..(and as the future of both is somewhat uncertain ..for different reasons)..so that should be no problem.

Billy is (an ex-Scunny player who knows NA well)... then my money would be on Billy Sharp ..come January.

if you think one of the others ? ..feel welcome to start a thread for them, might be interesting to see the outcome.

(although we ought to have an (U.K.nown foreigner thread too,) just in case.

Just recycle the same threads from the summer but hope the outcome is different and we actually sign one of them. I doubt it myself.

I was right last summer and I will be right again.

Good player gets goals but I think he has had several spells out injured and hasn't played much more than 60 % of games this season. We need a lot better than that for £3m. I'd prefer a striker with a 90 % fitness record at least.

Hasn't played much more than 60 % of games this season. We need a lot better than that for £3m. I'd prefer a striker with a 90 % fitness record at least.

What bizarre logic!

Sharp was injured it a horrendous challenge by Brighton's Lewis Dunk. How do you propose he avoided that injury?

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/9183133.Dunk_says_sorry_to_Sharp/

Since his return from injury on the opening day against Brighton and despite playing for a team in the relegation zone and only having 13 starts (plus two as sub), he has scored 9 Championship goals this season.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Extremely likely that Sharp will leave in January, and there's not a lot Donny can do about it. I've been told his buy-out clause has been activated by a 'small handful' of clubs and by bringing in a couple of loan strikers in recent days, it's a big indication that Doncaster are planning for life without Sharp.

For what it's worth, I'd love to see him here. He would be the perfect foil for Lambert, although I still believe we need an additional striker similar to Rickie as his recent absence hit us hard. Someone with a similar aerial threat would help to soften the impact should Lambert pick up an injury/suspension in the future. Lukas Jutkiewicz would fit that bill IMO, and is a realistic target.

Agree with all of this.

Think he showed that he has the personality to fit onto our bus with his reaction to his tragic loss.

Think it will likely be down to his family support structure and whether he wants to stay up north & be a sub in the PL with Sunderland, join a strange circus in the Midlands or grow up in a real team with us.

To be honest I'd think it depends on what exactly happened last summer,did he turn us down or did we not pursue the transfer. Don't think the Don is one to accept refusals lightly.

you dont think it might have been down to the fact that when he met with us last time his wife was 5 months pregnant and he didn't want to uproot or be away from his family under those circumstances?

Source?

Huge difference between the two signing wise. Maynard would cost a lot and probably get a top flight move. Sharp seems very likely to come here, probably not top flight interest.

I wouldn't be in the least surprised if we signed Sharp.

Just an opinion, I don't think Sharp will leave Doncaster until the end of the season whereas Maynard will probably end up at someone like QPR.

Surely we are the most attractive team team in Championship other than West Ham or maybe Boro due to our current league position?

Unless other teams are playing stupid wages (Leicester/West Ham etc) then we should be able beat other Championship rivals to players we may have not been able to get in the summer.

Surely we are the most attractive team team in Championship other than West Ham or maybe Boro due to our current league position?

Unless other teams are playing stupid wages (Leicester/West Ham etc) then we should be able beat other Championship rivals to players we may have not been able to get in the summer.

Correct. We can sign who we want and we are infact the most attractive team outside of the top 4 in the Top flight and have been since our league one days. As confirmed on here, c December 2009.

Correct. We can sign who we want and we are infact the most attractive team outside of the top 4 in the Top flight and have been since our league one days. As confirmed on here, c December 2009.

Don't be such a bellend...... even on Christmas Day surely that isn't too much to ask.

Edited by Saintjersey

What bizarre logic!

Sharp was injured it a horrendous challenge by Brighton's Lewis Dunk. How do you propose he avoided that injury?

Since his return from injury on the opening day against Brighton and despite playing for a team in the relegation zone and only having 13 starts (plus two as sub), he has scored 9 Championship goals this season.

And previous seasons?

What bizarre logic!

29 appearances last year, 33 previous year missing for about 1/3 of each season. We need better than that. Lambert is pretty much 95% but Connolly record is poor and Barnard is out for an extended period. If they buy him he will get goals if fit but it won't help us at all if he isn't fit for the run in. He could be a gamble but as it's already been said we've already had a difference of opinion about what happened in August that could have ended our interest.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Seems Kenwyne Jones may be coming back onto the market?

What offer, if any, should we put forward for his services?

£2.50, a book of stamps, a dinner date with NC's wife in East Street and a f*cking great big brick around the ear for the stroppy c**t.

It's an easy connection to make but an easy story to tell. I can't see us letting him go, it also looks like the cheap option for Newcastle which wouldn't happen. If they want him they will have to pay far more than he is worth.

That is why Martin o'neill was sat by the phone waiting to be given the honour of managing a division 3 side

It would all tie in with this Saints team being the best on in our history.

Brought to you by Saintsweb.co.uk cOctober 2011. Well over the top forum posts number 4732681

Edited by Turkish

i was on my way up north today listening to the Hull game and their commentators said we were linked with their Mclain? not sure of spelling - anyone know much about him

Aaron Maclean possibly.

Pacey, Powerful striker. Exactly the sort of player we need.

i was on my way up north today listening to the Hull game and their commentators said we were linked with their Mclain? not sure of spelling - anyone know much about him

Mcclean was pretty handy at Posh but nowhere near as proficient since he's been at Hull, then again it could be a different role there which suits him less well.More yellow cards than goals so far this season.

I have to say I'm not that excited by the thought if signing Sharp or Maynard to be honest. Neither grab me nor look value for money. The championship seems to have a lack of really outstanding strikers and we are just on one of those periods when you overspend on almost everyone. The right time to look abroad if you ask me, or sit tight with what we have plus a loan and buy in the summer.

I have to say I'm not that excited by the thought if signing Sharp or Maynard to be honest. Neither grab me nor look value for money. The championship seems to have a lack of really outstanding strikers and we are just on one of those periods when you overspend on almost everyone. The right time to look abroad if you ask me, or sit tight with what we have plus a loan and buy in the summer.

No way should we sit with what we have...how can we? Barnard out for months, Connolly just come back from ages out, Guly the enigma...did we learn nothing from the Doncaster game?

We will never have a better chance of promotion..sitting on your hands is not an option.