Have we missed David Connolly ???

alpine_saint

I was thinking, there has been some criticism of him that he only really shines when we are well up in games.

But hes an intelligent player who makes good runs and worries defences; would he have stabilised us a few times, once having done the work to get the lead, such as Boro and Pompey, and kept the opposition on the back foot ?

Intelligent, experienced but no longer physically capable of performing to his best.

He has played his part but has now been superceeded in the pecking order. Having said that I bet he now scores a hat-trick v Cov.

He's the sort of player I can see giving us a vital shove over the finish line, just like he did last year.

Im pretty sure hes out injured...

Intelligent, experienced but no longer physically capable of performing to his best.

He has played his part but has now been superceeded in the pecking order. Having said that I bet he now scores a hat-trick v Cov.

DC is the only player who can mentally keep up with Lallana. They have a similar vision and see the same runs and opportunities, allowing DC to feed off of Lallana. Sadly he isn't up to it physically, as he'd be a first-team regular otherwise.

Nah, the only time we miss him is when Lambert's injured, and we have Sharp to cover that now.

Has a quick brain and good movement but his quickness in behind the defence is all but gone and he looked a little off the pace even at the start of the season when we were dominating sides. Sharp's not quite as good a passer but he does everything else as well or better now.

No we don't.

Connolly is a pretty average League 1 striker at this stage in his career. Even when he was fit, I saw him go missing in a lot of games and put in some pretty poor performances. Ask yourself this. When has Connolly scored in a game when Saints were struggling? I can't remember any other than a meaningless trip to Gillingham 2 years ago. When we play fantastically he is a good player. Anything less and he goes missing. His goal record is poor. He has no pace, he has no physically presence. He really isn't that good.

Would be my 6th choice striker if everyone was fit, behind Guly and Barnard.

Our problems recently have been down to poor concentration, marking and some silly silly mistakes.

I think Connolly gets a lot of his reputation from being injured. People forget all the misses, the games he disappears an he becomes 'our best finisher' and so on. Chaplow also became a world beater when he wasn't playing and we were struggling, but it was coincidence and he's been pretty poor since coming back.

Chaplow is a hero despite having only played well in about 15 games in his whole time here. He fits the profile a lot of our fans have of what makes a decent player and that is looking busy and workin hard, regardless of quality of end product.

Connolly has struggled horribly when teams have pushed up but in games like the skates and reading the opposition, especially in the 2nd half, backed off and was camped in its own box.

In those situations, with his awareness and ability to link up with Lallana, Connolly might have offered something.

Chaplow is a hero despite having only played well in about 15 games in his whole time here. He fits the profile a lot of our fans have of what makes a decent player and that is looking busy and workin hard, regardless of quality of end product.

There seems to be a distinct correlation between Chaplow playing and the amount of effort expended by the rest of the team, which I why I like Chaplow as a player despite his industrial first touch. He's also useful at supporting Butterfield who otherwise might be subject to a lot of problems with faster players going past him (like Cox of Orient last season). I'm not usually a fan of our water-carriers, but we do look a better side with Chaplow harrying and closing down, probably because we get the ball higher up the pitch in transitions with defenders out of position, and it's getting it in threatening positions where we sometimes struggle.

do not think we have missed Connolly but definitely missed Lee

he would have been handy to bring on when defences were kn*ckered in last 20

not sure why Alpine brings up Skate game in OP , we were winning that and got done by a once in a life time strike

I go along with those thoughts, too Colin.

Too many fans condemn strikers who doesn't score REGULARLY, or are injured a lot without realising that some of the goals they score are real points-winners.

In David Connolly's case he started really well and actually out-scored Ricky Lambert in the first 5 League games before his injury.

amongst the 4 goals he scored in the first month of the season were enough to give us 6 points that we wouldn't have had - if he hadn't played.

I hope that (if selected) he can contribute and maybe..." do a Torres," and show that he can a make a comeback.

After his injuries I hope that we can give him ONE more season, so that in the event of promotion, he might get a taste of the top flight - one more time.

Unfortunately DC was over the hill. A few decent performances at the start of the season and then the injuries kicked in after, what was it 9 games?? Would have been good if he was less injury prone and 5 years younger. Billy Sharpe is now a great job for us in any case.

There seems to be a distinct correlation between Chaplow playing and the amount of effort expended by the rest of the team, which I why I like Chaplow as a player despite his industrial first touch. He's also useful at supporting Butterfield who otherwise might be subject to a lot of problems with faster players going past him (like Cox of Orient last season). I'm not usually a fan of our water-carriers, but we do look a better side with Chaplow harrying and closing down, probably because we get the ball higher up the pitch in transitions with defenders out of position, and it's getting it in threatening positions where we sometimes struggle.

This. Glad I wasn't the only one who saw this. Don't usually go for the work horses either but every EVERY team needs one. Even Barcelona which is something they were very much missing last night against Chelsea.....And a striker I might add.

I was thinking, there has been some criticism of him that he only really shines when we are well up in games.

But hes an intelligent player who makes good runs and worries defences; would he have stabilised us a few times, once having done the work to get the lead, such as Boro and Pompey, and kept the opposition on the back foot ?

yes I think he worked very well with Cork, Lambert and Lallana at the start of the season. All very quick witted and clever on the ball. The Ipswich away game comes to mind in particular-we were unstoppable (unlike Barca.....!). Its just a shame he is not 10 years younger.

Not as much as we've missed Chung IMO.

This

Connonlly was instrumental in the first few games whilst we put teams to the sword with an element of surprize, excellent link up with Llalana and lambert and Guly as mentioned and nice intricate passing as we carved open defences.

Later in teh seaosn when sides had worked out that we were actually a good side and closed the back door, I think his lack of pace showed, and since injuries shas not had teh run of games to get back to full match fitness.

Lee - was just really coming into his own - added a new dimension - guoile and pace and was gelling with Lambo... I really believe had we had him in the side for teh run, we would have been champions as his industry and falir gave us that extra bite up front and would have unlocked Reading, and possibly seen us get something at Balckpool even without Rickie. Shame, but thems the breaks.

Bad memories of David Prutton and Jelle Van Damme spring to mind!!! Chaplow needs to work on his clapping after the game to properly fit in the "Decent" player category!!

It is a shame Connolly is too old now and he is the best "basic" footballer we have!

This is rare: I wholeheartedly agree with you on this point.

At back end of last season, Connolly's intelligent movement, ability to create space in a crowded defence & good finishing really played a vital role in getting us across the line.

I can't help but feel that there would have been a couple of games recently where we could have done with him in last 30 minutes. I think we'll get there regardless, but had he been fit I think we'd be up.

I brought this up up on here a few weeks ago in amongst another thread. I think he's a very intelligent player and fits very well into how we want to play. Billy is a cracking player and has been superb the last few weeks, but Connolly is a completely different option to Billy. Lee you could probably say we are missing him, but we didnt do badly at all before he signed.

Billy Sharp has hit form and does the job Connolly did for us, only better.

Sharp does not do the same job as Connolly and I would put an in form Connolly as a significant reason to our early success. But Connolly is no longer on form and Billy very much is, such we seem to be geared around developing his chances far more. Nothing wrong with any of this, just common sense.

When Connolly came into the side at the end of last season he was the missing link that elevated all the team to new levels such we went on that winning run that won us promotion. Starting this season he was one of the key cogs which delivered samba football to Saints. Sadly Connollys form has dropped along with Guly and to an extent Lallana. With Billy in the side you are far more likely of the end product coming from Billy, whereas with Connolly that is more spread amongst himself and others.

If you put a ball up to Billy in a dangerous situation, he is far more likely to make a goal from it. If you put a ball up to Billy in a non dangerous situation he has this habit of just bouncing it back to the midfield or defence without developing anything. Whereas Connolly in those situations is far more likely to develop the attacking play.

Billy is a good player and his goals will be a major factor in why we get promotion, but I don't believe he brings out the best in Lambert or looks effective to our earlier style of play. That earlier style of play that I would give anything to rekindle. After what happened last season given an Adkins full pre-season anything is possible next season, including Billy. I just hope we can rediscover that delightful passing game we started the season with.

Sharp does not do the same job as Connolly and I would put an in form Connolly as a significant reason to our early success. But Connolly is no longer on form and Billy very much is, such we seem to be geared around developing his chances far more. Nothing wrong with any of this, just common sense.

When Connolly came into the side at the end of last season he was the missing link that elevated all the team to new levels such we went on that winning run that won us promotion. Starting this season he was one of the key cogs which delivered samba football to Saints. Sadly Connollys form has dropped along with Guly and to an extent Lallana. With Billy in the side you are far more likely of the end product coming from Billy, whereas with Connolly that is more spread amongst himself and others.

If you put a ball up to Billy in a dangerous situation, he is far more likely to make a goal from it. If you put a ball up to Billy in a non dangerous situation he has this habit of just bouncing it back to the midfield or defence without developing anything. Whereas Connolly in those situations is far more likely to develop the attacking play.

Billy is a good player and his goals will be a major factor in why we get promotion, but I don't believe he brings out the best in Lambert or looks effective to our earlier style of play. That earlier style of play that I would give anything to rekindle. After what happened last season given an Adkins full pre-season anything is possible next season, including Billy. I just hope we can rediscover that delightful passing game we started the season with.

another example on how a players reputation enhances when he does not play

Probably the most interesting thing about the strikers we signed in January has been that both Lee and Sharp make runs in behind, and none of our players prior to their signings (apart from Forte, no comment) have done that.

For a few weeks we didn't really know what to do about that, and the runs were going unnoticed - then the squad and/or manager picked up on it... and now no-one makes runs in behind any more. :o.

On the bright side, Lambert and co have now remembered they can pass to Sharp in the box and from set-pieces, so he's started scoring loads anyway.

I thought Lamberts pass for Sharps goal Saturday was a first sign of a partnership that will surely blossom. DC was the telling factor at the end of last season, and is far better than Barnard who doesnot look up to Championship standard ( please come on and score on Saturday and prove me wrong !! ).

I thought Lamberts pass for Sharps goal Saturday was a first sign of a partnership that will surely blossom. DC was the telling factor at the end of last season, and is far better than Barnard who doesnot look up to Championship standard ( please come on and score on Saturday and proove me wrong !! ).

did you not see sharps lay off for lambert to score against reading..?

quite a few people on here seem to be comparing Connolly and Sharp (!)..although I am definitely in favour of keeping a FIT Connolly ..for ONE more season,

but they are not the same sort of player. Firstly because Billy is much younger and faster, and Connolly is not upto 90 minute games any more - especially if its at a higher level, but I'd have him on a 7 man bench - every game.

He has so much class, and putting him on as a " change player" with 20/25 minutes to go could be invaluable in some games.

I noted that 39 y.o. Kevin Phillips has spent a lot of time on Blackpools bench this season, yet has still managed to score 16 goals (!).

PROVIDING... he can get /keep fit, he could go on for another season - if used in short doses.

Nah, he's got months yet. Even touch and go for pre-season I'd have thought.

That was the original prognosis, but it was modified to say it should not take as long. Still won't be ready for play-offs or the Japanese WC games though, but should be OK for pre-season. esepcially as that should start later this season because of the Lympics.

quite a few people on here seem to be comparing Connolly and Sharp (!)..although I am definitely in favour of keeping a FIT Connolly ..for ONE more season,

but they are not the same sort of player. Firstly because Billy is much younger and faster, and Connolly is not upto 90 minute games any more - especially if its at a higher level, but I'd have him on a 7 man bench - every game.

He has so much class, and putting him on as a " change player" with 20/25 minutes to go could be invaluable in some games.

I noted that 39 y.o. Kevin Phillips has spent a lot of time on Blackpools bench this season, yet has still managed to score 16 goals (!).

PROVIDING... he can get /keep fit, he could go on for another season - if used in short doses.

I struggle to imagine Connolly coming on and scoring the winner against Man U somehow.

Connolly hasn't been properly fit for about 5 years, what makes you think that's going to change.

As for Connolly coming off the bench... He has scored 5 goals as a substitute in the 3 years he's been here. He's not exactly super sub.

do not think we have missed Connolly but definitely missed Lee

he would have been handy to bring on when defences were kn*ckered in last 20

not sure why Alpine brings up Skate game in OP , we were winning that and got done by a once in a life time strike.....

.....as well as two twice in a lifetime saves.